Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 09-27-2009, 10:54 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Friday night I got to see Burst and Gojira in New Orleans. Both were absolutely amazing. Extremely tight, great crowd interaction, and very energetic. One of the best shows I've been to recently.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:33 AM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

posted this in the CD Player thread, but new BTBAM

I'm not a huge BTBAM fan, but for some reason I'm excited for this album.

also Baroness has a new song on their myspace from their upcoming album (www.myspace.com/yourbaroness) such a sweet band

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
<TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that
The Unseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 12:50 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unseen View Post

also Baroness has a new song on their myspace from their upcoming album (www.myspace.com/yourbaroness) such a sweet band
I'm really excited about the new BTBAM. That track sounded awesome.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 09-28-2009, 12:32 AM    (permalink
StripedWalrus
Pro Bowler

StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anyone checked out the New CoB album? Its basically a cover album but here are the songs included.

01 Lookin’ Out My Back Door (Creedence Clearwater Revival)
02 Hell is for Children (Pat Benatar)
03 Somebody Put Something in My Drink (Ramones)
04 Mass Hypnosis (Sepultura)
05 Don’t Stop at the Top (Scorpions)
06 Silent Scream (Slayer)
07 Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In) (Kenny Rogers)
08 Hellion (W.A.S.P.)
09 Aces High (Iron Maiden)
10 Rebel Yell (Billy Idol)
11 No Commands (Stone)
12 Antisocial (Trust / Anthrax)
13 Talk Dirty to Me (Poison)
14 (Ghost) Riders In the Sky (Stan Jones / Johnny Cash)
15 War Inside My Head (Suicidal Tendencies)
16 Oops!...I Did It Again (Britney Spears)
17 Waiting (King Diamond)
StripedWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 04:35 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Isis. Isis. Isis. Isis.

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 07:12 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfullyquiet View Post
Isis. Isis. Isis. Isis.
I saw them with Pelican a few months ago. They were great as usual.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 09-29-2009, 12:24 AM    (permalink
El Peefs?????
Pro Bowler

El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Isis. Isis. Isis. Isis.
Definitely in my top 5 goddesses
El Peefs????? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:38 AM    (permalink
slightlyaraiderfan
All-NFLDC

slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Old 09-29-2009, 01:57 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

If you guys (and AQ) haven't yet check out the band Minsk. Reminds me of Isis and Neurosis.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 09-29-2009, 07:05 AM    (permalink
EvilMonkey
Veteran

EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Alice in Chains new album out today.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:33 AM    (permalink
irishbucsfan
Rookie

irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like quite a few songs by Killswitch Engage and Avenged Sevenfold, and I love pretty much everything done by In Flames - anyone have any band suggestions?

As a reference point, I am one of those people who though Metallica was one of the top 5 bands ever at the age of 17. My musical expertise is limited.

"Frosties are corn flakes for people who can't face reality"
irishbucsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:43 AM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
If you guys (and AQ) haven't yet check out the band Minsk. Reminds me of Isis and Neurosis.
I've heard of them...can't recall listening to any songs though.

irishbucsfan: All That Remains, Trivium, Bullet for my Valetine, As I Lay Dying...popular metalcore, essentially.

not saying anything about the quality of those bands, but they are up your alley. Actually, you may have heard of most of them, so if you were looking for "lesser known bands," then I can't really help you.

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
Old 09-29-2009, 08:52 AM    (permalink
irishbucsfan
Rookie

irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Buller for Valentine is almost emo crap isnt it though? I didn't really think In Flames counted as metalcore, although my understanding of all the various sub genres is definitely poor. I think Tool are awesome as well. Just asking because I've heard of those bands you mentioned and didn't think much of them, and people seem to know their stuff in this thread.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:54 AM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishbucsfan View Post
I like quite a few songs by Killswitch Engage and Avenged Sevenfold, and I love pretty much everything done by In Flames - anyone have any band suggestions?
Are we talking Jester Race/Whoracle In Flames or Soundtrack to Your Escape In Flames.

Either way I'd suggest At The Gates, always and forever.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:04 AM    (permalink
irishbucsfan
Rookie

Quote:
Are we talking Jester Race/Whoracle In Flames or Soundtrack to Your Escape In Flames.

Either way I'd suggest At The Gates, always and forever.
I do like the earlier stuff, I much prefer Whoracle to Jester Race. But tend towards the later stuff, which I know is considered more mainstream - but don't agree that that's always a negative. I'm not one of those people who consider better music taste to be synonymous with 'more obscure than your' music taste.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:40 AM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

Quote:
I do like the earlier stuff, I much prefer Whoracle to Jester Race. But tend towards the later stuff, which I know is considered more mainstream - but don't agree that that's always a negative. I'm not one of those people who consider better music taste to be synonymous with 'more obscure than your' music taste.
Ah, that's where we differ then.

I tend to like the gritty, monumental, thunderclaps of early goethenburg over the newer cleaner, more processed, power metally children of bodom esque sound.

But, i'm in complete congruence that obscure != better. Unfortunately, I'm a big fan of first/second albums from most bands just because they tend to be the freshest pieces of work. I.E. Darkest Hour, one of my favorite bands, started sounding like rehashed versions of themselves on their fourth and fifth album. Sure, there's nuggets out there, but not quite like their early material lent itself to. That said, one of the most diverse, heartthrobbing albums I can think of was Darkest Hour's third album (Hidden Hands of a Sadist Nation) where it was a real study in fusing metalcore with death metal as the album progressed, with a little master class of sorts when Peter Wichers (ex-Soilwork) and Marcus Sunnesson (Engel, ex-The Crown) pretty much make the greatest 10 minute air guitar song ever.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:08 PM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
Buller for Valentine is almost emo crap isnt it though? I didn't really think In Flames counted as metalcore, although my understanding of all the various sub genres is definitely poor. I think Tool are awesome as well. Just asking because I've heard of those bands you mentioned and didn't think much of them, and people seem to know their stuff in this thread.
Yeah I can't really help you. Labels are kind of complicated, so forget the label I used, rather look for bands that sound like them. I'm also not very knowledgeable either, so again I have nothing to offer. I mentioned the big name bands to check if you knew them.

Actually, you may like Mastodon, my fave band. Again, if you've already heard of them, there are lesser known bands like Kylesa, Intronaut, and Baroness which are like them. You may also like Between the Buried and Me. Both Mastodon and BTBAM are proggy, which may turn you off, but you did mention Tool, who are prog/art/post/whatever (I don't care for them personally).

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
Old 09-29-2009, 12:17 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMonkey View Post
Alice in Chains new album out today.

It sounds really, really good.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:39 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

Quote:
Buller for Valentine is almost emo crap isnt it though?
don't knock emo crap.

i'm not talking like, BFMV (because they're mallcore).

this is emo.

bullet for my valentine does not sound like that.

Old 09-29-2009, 01:19 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Quote:
Yeah I can't really help you. Labels are kind of complicated, so forget the label I used, rather look for bands that sound like them. I'm also not very knowledgeable either, so again I have nothing to offer. I mentioned the big name bands to check if you knew them.

Actually, you may like Mastodon, my fave band. Again, if you've already heard of them, there are lesser known bands like Kylesa, Intronaut, and Baroness which are like them. You may also like Between the Buried and Me. Both Mastodon and BTBAM are proggy, which may turn you off, but you did mention Tool, who are prog/art/post/whatever (I don't care for them personally).
I'm not a huge fan of Baroness but I do like Kylesa and I really like Intronaut. Pelican can fit in there as well. Their instrumental and progressive. Also, The Ocean is amazing. Burst is also fairly progressive and is a great band to listen to.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 09-29-2009, 04:09 PM    (permalink
the dude
Rookie

the dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
It sounds really, really good.
qft, I was really impressed by the new singer. I would have thought my response to the album would be "meh its not layne staley", but this is just a really good album
Old 09-29-2009, 07:53 PM    (permalink
EvilMonkey
Veteran

EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dude View Post
qft, I was really impressed by the new singer. I would have thought my response to the album would be "meh its not layne staley", but this is just a really good album
I absolutely love it. I don't think it's there best or anything, but it's definitely on par with everything. Wasn't a letdown or anything, which is kinda what i was expecting a few weeks ago. Saw them live 2 weeks ago and was blown away by the lead singer and with that and the singles already released, knew this album would kick ass. Obviously DuVall is not Layne, but very talented and I continued to be impressed.

Also, noticed in the info that the guy playing the piano on the last track is some musician named Elton John. And in the acknowledgments bassist Mike Inez (who is a Raider fan) thanked Howie Long, loved that.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:00 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

BFMV is the 21st century Metallica for people on that side of the world. That said they are a great welsh band. However they completely 180 the fan base they had in the US with their second album. They are one of the few bands that used the pop culture to get famous only to move back to their roots with more thrash metal.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:02 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

BTBAM is one of the most talented bands out today. They can really pull any style they feel like...maybe thats what hinders them so much..because they seem to fluctuate as they go throughout their albums. Thus people who are hardcore for that genre don't appreciate it as much.

BTBAM fans tho I think take them a step deeper than the more casual listener.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:18 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dude View Post

Best song:

A Looking In View

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote