Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New Orleans Saints Team Forum

New Orleans Saints Team Forum Discuss the Saints

View Poll Results: Who would you choose at 27?
Chris Houston, CB, Arkansas 7 38.89%
Darrelle Revis, CB, Pittsburgh 4 22.22%
Aaron Ross, CB, Texas 5 27.78%
Paul Posluszny, LB, Penn State 1 5.56%
Dwayne Jarrett, WR, Southern Cal 1 5.56%
Trade the selection away 0 0%
Choose someone else not listed (explain who and why?) 0 0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-01-2007, 12:29 AM    (permalink
BiggerFoot

just keeping the ball rolling and wanted to see who everyone thinks the Saints will end up drafting.
my mock

1) Greg Olsen TE Miami
2) Fred Bennett CB South Carolina
3) Kareem Brown DT Miami
4) a. Desmond Bishop MLB California
4) b. Antwan Barnes OLB Florida International
4) c. Yamon Figurs WR (or a speed WR)
5) Justin Medlock K UCLA
6) your guess is as good as my guess backup QB/DL/DB
Old 03-01-2007, 04:08 AM    (permalink
Saints Dome Patrol
Team Leader
Veteran

Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggerFoot View Post
just keeping the ball rolling and wanted to see who everyone thinks the Saints will end up drafting.
my mock

1) Greg Olsen TE Miami
3) Kareem Brown DT Miami
5) Justin Medlock K UCLA
Personally, and don't take any offense to this, I have some critiques for you.

First, I hope that we don't go offensive with the first round selection. Even if Olsen is there, which he might not, I think that most people would agree with me and say that we'd rather have a linebacker or cornerback here. Tight end is not a major need, especially with the recent re-signing of Billy Miller.

The second round should address the position that we didn't address in round one, whether it be cornerback or linebacker. I think you did okay with Fred Bennett.

Third round, good position of need, but I'm not sold on Kareem Brown.

Fourth round, a good round altogether; however, I don't know if Antwan Barnes will be available there, after his tremendous showing at the Combine.

I don't mind us getting Medlock, but I think that it's still too early for a kicker. Just me.

And in the last two rounds, I think we need offensive line help, particularly at guard and then like you said a backup quarterback like John Beck from BYU would be okay with a seventh round selection.

We'll have to see once free agency starts to see what our priorities will be heading into April before anyone can make an educated guess. Kudos for being the first to post this though, and it's decent for it being so early in the game.

Sig by jkpigskin

SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS! Bless you boys!

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Check out my blog!
http://sportsinsomniacs.wordpress.com/

Follow myself and The Sports Insomniacs on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/SportInsomniacs
Saints Dome Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 01:21 PM    (permalink
BiggerFoot

thanks for the insight, I am always happy to take constructive criticism, which you gave
How do you see the Saints draft going and possibly how Free Agency will go?
Here are some of my opinions for possible first round choices (in no particular order)
Leon Hall, Darrelle Revis, Chris Houston, Patrick Willis, Lawrence Timmons, Paul Posluszny, Greg Olsen, Ted Ginn.

Last edited by BiggerFoot : 03-01-2007 at 02:43 PM.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:36 PM    (permalink
GeauxSaints
Rookie

GeauxSaints hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
my mock

1) Greg Olsen TE Miami
3) Kareem Brown DT Miami
5) Justin Medlock K UCLA
I dont like Olsen in the first round for us. While I understand his appeal, it was our defense that kept us out of the super bowl. I dont like billy miller, so i would like to see us pick a TE - not in the first round though. we can get one in the later rounds, and give him a little time to mature. here is my mock:

1 Patrick Willis
2 Tanard Jackson
3 Brandon Siler
4 Antonio Johnson
4 Steve Smith
4 Ben Patrick
5 trade: CB/S Jordan Babineaux
6 John Talley

i may have missed this somewhere else, but what do yall think about us going after joey porter. i know he would cost some serious money, but he would give our defense an identity. i think he has the kind of attiude that could really help some of our younger players. i also like nate clements over dre bly . i would love to see us get adalius thomas too.
GeauxSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 01:52 AM    (permalink
BiggerFoot

part of the appeal of Olsen is the fact that the top talent in the LB class and CB class is likely gone by 27, and both CB and LB are deep in talent. Where as I feel that the TE class is a big drop off after Olsen, so why not get the best talent at a position rather than the 3rd or 4th best, we could use a TE he has great hands was the fastest of all TEs and has good height
Old 03-03-2007, 01:59 AM    (permalink
Saints Dome Patrol
Team Leader
Veteran

Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Angry [expletive deleted]!!!

[expletive deleted]!!!!

I had typed out a great response to both you BiggerFoot and GeauxSaints and guess what? The stupid forum logged me out for some stupid reason and so I lost my post... [expletive deleted]!

Well, I'm going to bed 'cause I have to work at 7:30 a.m., but I'll get on the computer and type something this morning at work!

Sig by jkpigskin

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Check out my blog!

Old 03-03-2007, 04:05 AM    (permalink
GermanSaint
Veteran

GermanSaint hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

how do you like mine ?

1. Aaron Ross , CB Texas
2. David Harris , LB Michigan
3. Brendan Mebane , DT California
4. Rhema McKnight , WR Notre Dame
4. Mansfield Wrotto , OG Georgia Tech
4. Marvin White , S TCU
5. Michael Allan , TE Whitworth
6. CB/RT Prospect
7. QB/RTProspect
Old 03-03-2007, 09:39 AM    (permalink
Saints Dome Patrol
Team Leader
Veteran

Okay, here I go again... this time, I'm typing out my response on WordPad... *sigh*

Quote:
thanks for the insight, I am always happy to take constructive criticism, which you gave
How do you see the Saints draft going and possibly how Free Agency will go?
Here are some of my opinions for possible first round choices (in no particular order)
Leon Hall, Darrelle Revis, Chris Houston, Patrick Willis, Lawrence Timmons, Paul Posluszny, Greg Olsen, Ted Ginn.
BiggerFoot, first and foremost, welcome to the forum. It's great to have another Saints fan here on the forum! :)

Now like I said before, kudos on being the first to take a stab at the Draft, and thanks for being able to take constructive criticism. Not everyone takes it well, and I think it speaks volumes about your character.

As most people on this forum agree, I doubt that the Saints will be able to make any big splashes in free agency. They already have re-signed DT Hollis Thomas, TE Billy Miller and like it or not, franchised DE Darren... heh, oops, Charles Grant and re-signed him for at least one year. Judging by all the recent monumental signings, I really don't see the Saints getting someone like Adalius Thomas or an expensive player like that. As stated in this forum, the Saints are hosting LB Brian Simmons and CB/S Ken Hamlin today. While I'm not totally sold on Simmons, since he is 32 and already been in the league 10 years, and his productivity has decreased over the last three seasons, I'd be really excited to get Hamlin. Hamlin is a hard-hitter and would be an obvious upgrade for our secondary. The only hang-up on Hamlin is that he had a severe head injury in 2005 and that might be a bit of a concern.

Now, as for the Draft, the only unfortunate thing with having a great season this past year, is now we're drafting at the bottom of the first round. At twenty-seven, some of the bigger names might not be available, including several of the names on your list. Honestly, I would assume (and I hope I'm wrong) but players like linebacker Patrick Willis, cornerbacks Leon Hall, Chris Houston, and Darelle Revis as well as wide receiver Ted Ginn, Jr. would probably be gone by the time we're on the clock. Lastly, as good as tight end Greg Olsen is, the fact remains that defense is a bigger need for the Saints, especially in the first round.

That being said, I really like Penn State linebacker Paul Posluszny. According to what I've heard, Posluszny can play in the middle or on the outside, and I think someone like him would be a huge upgrade for our linebacking corps. He's instinctive, has "premier" intangibles (according to Scott) and is smart and a team leader. Especially after missing on a linebacker a least the last two years, I'd be estatic to get Posluszny.

Sig by jkpigskin

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Check out my blog!

Old 03-03-2007, 09:43 AM    (permalink
Saints Dome Patrol
Team Leader
Veteran

Post Saints mock drafts

Post your Saints mock drafts here! :D

Last edited by Saints Dome Patrol : 03-06-2007 at 03:22 AM.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:08 AM    (permalink
Saints Dome Patrol
Team Leader
Veteran

On to the second half...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeauxSaints View Post
I dont like Olsen in the first round for us. While I understand his appeal, it was our defense that kept us out of the super bowl. I dont like billy miller, so i would like to see us pick a TE - not in the first round though. we can get one in the later rounds, and give him a little time to mature. here is my mock:

1 Patrick Willis
2 Tanard Jackson
3 Brandon Siler
4 Antonio Johnson
4 Steve Smith
4 Ben Patrick
5 trade: CB/S Jordan Babineaux
6 John Talley

i may have missed this somewhere else, but what do yall think about us going after joey porter. i know he would cost some serious money, but he would give our defense an identity. i think he has the kind of attiude that could really help some of our younger players. i also like nate clements over dre bly . i would love to see us get adalius thomas too.
Well, first as you probably already know, Denver traded for Dre Bly, the 49ers made Nate Clements the first ever ten million dollar-a-year defensive player, and Adalius Thomas will probably will end up signing with New England some time in the next few hours.

As for Joey Porter, I don't know about him. Honestly, he's a solid player but I'm not big on his attitude. He's got quite a mouth on him, and I'm not sure if he's worth the money he'd probably want.

Now, with your Draft, I'm going to do the same thing that I did for BiggerFoot and go pick by pick.

As much as I'd love to have Patrick Willis, I doubt that he'd be around when we pick at twenty-seven. I really think that he's gone sometime in early in the first round. I mean, it would be excellent if he's there, and if he is, we thank God and run our pick to the podium.

In the second round, I don't know enough about Tarnard Jackson, but he seems like he's solid, but not spectacular. If someone like cornerback Aaron Ross from Texas is available, I'd prefer him to Jackson, but we'll see who's still there at the end of the second round.

Not sold on Brandon Siler. He should have gone back to Florida for his senior season. Just wanted to take advantage on Florida's national championship. But, that's just my opinion.

That being said, I love the fourth round... minus Antonio Johnson. I don't feel like he's worth a fourth round selection. However, both Steve Smith and Ben Patrick would be great steals late in the fourth round. I'd be happy if we could get one of these two in April, but you have us getting both, which would be excellent.

If we end up signing cornerback/safety Ken Hamlin in free agency, I don't think that there's a reason to trade for Jordan Babineaux. If we don't, then I don't know. I know that some people on this forum *coughdiabsoulecough* are big on him, but I'm not completely sold on him.

Lastly, I don't know anything about John Talley, but he would fill a need.

Overall, I would absolutely if we would get Willis in the first and even just one of the two fourth rounders you had us getting. A couple of the picks aren't the best, either because they're too early or I'm not fond of the particular player. But, again, this is just my opinion, and compliments for posting your mock draft so early in the off-season.

Sig by jkpigskin

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Check out my blog!

Old 03-03-2007, 10:12 PM    (permalink
GeauxSaints
Rookie

GeauxSaints hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints Dome Patrol View Post
On to the second half...

Well, first as you probably already know, Denver traded for Dre Bly, the 49ers made Nate Clements the first ever ten million dollar-a-year defensive player, and Adalius Thomas will probably will end up signing with New England some time in the next few hours.

As for Joey Porter, I don't know about him. Honestly, he's a solid player but I'm not big on his attitude. He's got quite a mouth on him, and I'm not sure if he's worth the money he'd probably want.

Now, with your Draft, I'm going to do the same thing that I did for BiggerFoot and go pick by pick.

As much as I'd love to have Patrick Willis, I doubt that he'd be around when we pick at twenty-seven. I really think that he's gone sometime in early in the first round. I mean, it would be excellent if he's there, and if he is, we thank God and run our pick to the podium.

In the second round, I don't know enough about Tarnard Jackson, but he seems like he's solid, but not spectacular. If someone like cornerback Aaron Ross from Texas is available, I'd prefer him to Jackson, but we'll see who's still there at the end of the second round.

Not sold on Brandon Siler. He should have gone back to Florida for his senior season. Just wanted to take advantage on Florida's national championship. But, that's just my opinion.
Yep Bly, Clements, and Thomas all moved after that last post. I had no idea of the money Clements was asking for, to hell with him.

I agree that Willis will probably not be there, but I was being optimistic.

I would list Jackson as my #1 in the second round and Ross as #1a. I think they are similar in skill level, and obviously either of them would be a dramatic improvement.

I disagree with you on Siler. I have had the opportunity to watch this guy in person, and he would be an absolute steal in the third. If he had gone back for his senior year, he would have been very similar to D. Ryans and would have been drafted in the late first early second of the 2008 draft. As it stands now, we could get a tremendous talent and let him develop for a year. By drafting either Willis or Posluszny we would already be adding depth, so Siler would not have to be an every down player (even though I think he would be) and we could still rely on our serviceable, yet aging current LB corps.

Obviously that fourth round would be amazing, but I doubt they will all be there.

Talley is a CB from Duke that will be little more than a nickel or dime back. He will give us some much needed depth, and he is someone who could get overlooked because of where he played.

Biggerfoot the problem I have with Olsen in the first has nothing to do with his talent. I am sure everyone agrees he is one of the top TE’s in this years class, but I don’t think it is our biggest need. You say that LB and CB are very deep this year, well that is great because we need at least 2 CB’s and 1 LB to step in and be starters next year. This is something that the coaching staff realizes and they are going to address the biggest area of weakness as early and as often in the draft as they can. Welcome to the board.

I would put our needs in this order:
CB**
LB
DT
WR
OL
GeauxSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 02:58 AM    (permalink
BiggerFoot

well some more info on Greg Olsen, his pro-day was yesterday at Miami, never the less he impressed yet agian. In his workout he ran a 4.41 short shuttle (faster than Merriweather) a TE faster than a top prospect safety. He also out jumped Merriweather in the long jump with a 9 foot 11 inch jump. He is shaping up to be a lock for a 1st round pick and could be a steal at our pick, I am hoping for Olsen to fall to the Saints

As for Kareem he has really disappointed with his sub-par workouts not excelling in anything speed or strength. But a counterpart of his Baraka Atkins can play both the DE and DT so his versatility would be very nice. He has good size and speed and has played both DT and DE in college. But most importantly he is good against the run.
and so I am tweaking my mock a little
Olsen
Bennett
Atkins/Barnes (whomever we feel might not make it to the 4th)
Barnes/Atkins
Bishop
A.J. Davis
Medlock
Legedu Naanee WR (project)

Last edited by BiggerFoot : 03-04-2007 at 02:13 PM.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:18 PM    (permalink
Saints Dome Patrol
Team Leader
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanSaint View Post
how do you like mine ?

1. Aaron Ross , CB Texas
2. David Harris , LB Michigan
3. Brendan Mebane , DT California
4. Rhema McKnight , WR Notre Dame
4. Mansfield Wrotto , OG Georgia Tech
4. Marvin White , S TCU
5. Michael Allan , TE Whitworth
6. CB/RT Prospect
7. QB/RTProspect
Well, it happened again. I was in the middle of writing a great response to your mock draft and this time, Windows decided to be stupid and crash. So, I'm going to try this one more time.

As I've been telling everybody, I'm just giving my opinion, round by round. Again, this is just my opinion, and I appreciate that everyone has accepted the constructive criticism in stride.

I absolutely love the first round pick. Especially since, to this point, we have not signed a free agent cornerback in free agency. Aaron Ross would be a great fit and a huge upgrade over Fred Thomas or Jason Craft. I like Ross a lot, not only since he was the Thorpe Award winner but also that he is a Texas guy. Ross looks like he could be our number 2 cornerback this season, but in a few years, who knows? He might replace Mike McKenzie and become our number one cornerback.

As for David Harris in round two, I don't know enough about him, but I have heard that he's more of a 3-4 "run thumper" than a true middle linebacker. Personally, I think that someone like Harris could come in and learn from both Mark Simoneau and Brian Simmons and might be a good project player.

The third round pick of Brandon Mebane definitely fills a need at defensive tackle. Scott's write-up makes him seem like an adequate back-up and we could certainly use depth behind Hollis Thomas and Brian Young.

I also really like your fourth round. All the players you have us getting are positions of need and seem to be solid players.

With the fifth rounder, I think you reached on Michael Allan. I don't know enough about him, but it doesn't seem like he's worth a fifth rounder.

And with the last two rounds, I agree, another cornerback, a backup quarterback or even a backup linebacker would be solid selections for us. Right tackle, I'm not sure, since we re-signed Jon Stinchcomb and we still have Zach Strief.

All and all, I think you did an excellent job and hope that we're lucky if most of what you projected comes true come April! :D

Sig by jkpigskin

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Check out my blog!

Old 03-06-2007, 10:42 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here's my turn at a quick Saints mock:

1. LB Paul Posluszny
2. CB Tanard Jackson
3. TE Ben Patrick
4. LB Anthony Waters
4. WR Steve Smith
4. DT Jay Alford
5. OT/OG Allen Barbre
6. CB John Talley
7. K Nick Folk

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 06:46 PM    (permalink
Saints Dome Patrol
Team Leader
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
Here's my turn at a quick Saints mock:

1. LB Paul Posluszny
2. CB Tanard Jackson
3. TE Ben Patrick
4. LB Anthony Waters
4. WR Steve Smith
4. DT Jay Alford
5. OT/OG Allen Barbre
6. CB John Talley
7. K Nick Folk
Well now, it's my turn to critique diabsoule's mock draft... *rubs hands with glee*... :D

I really like the first round selection, since as you all already know, I'm a big fan of Paul Posluszny, and he's one of the players actually that might be available at twenty-seven. Even after signing Brian Simmons, we could still use another linebacker, especially one who's young and dependable. I think that Posluszny could be a solid playmaker for our defense and be a starter for our team for several years.

In the second, you have us getting Tanard Jackson, and he seems to be a solid selection. The only thing that concerns me, is Jackson's character issues. Other than that, he seems like a good pickup and definitely fills another one of our needs.

Now, I'm not against us getting Ben Patrick, especially since he (besides Olsen) is one of the most balanced tight ends in the Draft, but I don't know if he's worthy of a third round selection. I do agree that someone of his magnitude would be a solid selection, but I think that we might be reaching if we get Patrick here.

In the fourth, I'm excited and confused, all at the same time. I like the acquistion of wide receiver Steve Smith, but I'm not fond of the Anthony Waters pick. I think that we need to stay away from someone with his injury concerns. And in regards to Jay Alford, I don't disagree that it would fill a positional need, but I don't know if we should get someone like him so early.

Obviously, I don't know enough about Allen Barbre to say one way or another. I do agree that it adds depth, so I wouldn't be totally against it. I must say; however, that you (diabsoule) are always after offensive lineman that look like child molestors. Are you trying to tell us something? ;)

It seems that everyone likes us getting John Talley in the sixth, so I won't repeat myself.

Lastly, you have us getting kicker Nick Folk from Arizona. He doesn't seem to have the accuracy that we would need from a kicker. Could be just me, but if it's between picking him and getting a free agent, I'd get the free agent.

I do like a large number of your selections, especially Posluszny and Steve Smith, but we'll have to wait and see what happens, especially what the team's needs will be after free agency.

Sig by jkpigskin

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Check out my blog!

Old 03-08-2007, 09:32 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm going to begin working on my Saints first round big board, and 7 round mock draft...Hopefully I'll have it up by tomorrow.

Unfortunately I got caught up in some business today and couldn't finish everything... I will work on it on Saturday though.

Last edited by Auron : 03-09-2007 at 11:52 PM.
Auron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 02:51 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auron View Post
I'm going to begin working on my Saints first round big board, and 7 round mock draft...Hopefully I'll have it up by tomorrow.
I look forward to it.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 03-10-2007, 10:01 AM    (permalink
Saints Dome Patrol
Team Leader
Veteran

Okay, since I've critiqued everyone else's mock draft to this point, I figured I should put my money where my mouth is and post my mock draft.

Now, again, this is before all of free agency is over, but here is my Saints mock draft, round by round.

Now, in the first round, I think that our need will either be linebacker or cornerback. With the Saints getting LB Brian Simmons in the off-season so far, and re-signing Scott Shanle, but not landing a free agent corner yet, I think that cornerback would be the pick here over linebacker. Again, as I've said earlier, players like Leon Hall and Darrelle Revis would probably be gone, so here's my pick for the Saints at twenty-seven...

Chris Houston, cornerback, University of Arkansas

Now, with the Saints picking near the end of the second round as well, I think that a majority of the bigger name players would be gone. Looking to provide some quality depth here, the Saints again look to a defensive player...

Quinn Pitcock, defensive tackle, Ohio State University

Okay, now with the Saints getting a legitmate starting cornerback and now a top defensive tackle to learn from Hollis Thomas and Brian Young, the Saints look to add another player to the defense with the next selection, this time in the third round...

H.B. Blades, inside linebacker, University of Pittsburgh

Now on to Day Two...

After getting three straight defensive players in the first three rounds, I think that it might be time for the Saints to get their first offensive player... here's hoping that this guy will still be available in the fourth round...

Steve Smith, wide receiver, University of Southern California

Now, with the Saints getting three defensive players, and now a wide receiver, the Saints continue to address depth at key positions. Even after getting Eric Johnson in free agency, I think that the Saints could use a young back-up tight end who could take over if Johnson doesn't pan out or the other two continue to be hampered with injuries.

Matt Spaeth, tight end, University of Minnesota

Now, with the second selection of the fourth round, the Saints look to add more quality depth at key positions. Here's another player that I think can add depth to a position of need.

Andy Alleman, guard, University of Akron

Now, if even part of the first four rounds go the way I want, that'd be great. Now, on to the fifth round...

I think with the fifth round here, I'm not certain what I would want the Saints to target... but there's a bevy of cornerbacks that could add depth, so here goes...

Travarous Bain, cornerback, Hampton University

So now, the Saints have picked up two cornerbacks, a linebacker, a defensive tackle, a wide receiver, a tight end, and an offensive guard. What's left?

In my opinion, we need a good quality back-up quarterback to learn from Drew Brees since Jamie Martin is no Spring chicken... here's someone that not many people have mentioned, but I'm high on this guy...

John Beck, quarterback, Brigham Young University

And now, lastly, in the seventh round, the Saints could just pick someone that would be a camp body. I'm not sure what the Saints need here, since it is the last round and all. Against my best judgment...here's my last selection for the Saints...

Andrew Wellock, kicker, Eastern Michigan University

So, that's my mock draft for the Saints...in review:

First Round: Chris Houston, CB, Arkansas
Second Round: Quinn Pitcock, DT, Ohio State
Third Round: H.B. Blades, ILB, Pitt
Fourth Round (a): Steve Smith, WR, USC
Fourth Round (b): Matt Spaeth, TE, Minnesota
Fourth Round (c): Andy Alleman, OG, Akron
Fifth Round: Travarous Bain, CB, Hampton
Sixth Round: John Beck, QB, BYU
Seventh Round: Andrew Wellock, K, Eastern Michigan

So what do y'all think? I think that this draft would not only be solid, but spectacular, in my opinion... :D

Sig by jkpigskin

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Check out my blog!

Last edited by Saints Dome Patrol : 03-10-2007 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-10-2007, 01:52 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints Dome Patrol View Post
I like that mock pretty much addressed all the needs..Hopefully I'll have my own mock up in a few hours, still working on it.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:23 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Here is my analysis of your mock:

It seems that people have become amazed with Houston due to his showing at the combine. I, however, have still remained skeptical about him. He showed a lot of promise and potential during his tenure at Arkansas and I think he could possibly turn into a shutdown corner at the next level but I think his bust factor his extremely high. If he is the best player available when we pick then I am not against selecting him because he would definitely address a need. I would, however, like to see us rather go with someone like Aaron Ross or Marcus McCauley over Houston.

Grade: B

If the Saints land Pitcock in the second, which seems to be a distinct possiblity because he has seen his stock fall quite a bit, then I believe it would be a major acquisition. Although I don't see Pitcock as ever being a superstar, I think he could be solid. He reminds me of a more athetlic Kyle Williams or a Chris Hovan. I think he'd be a great person to learn under Hollis Thomas.

Grade: A-

I really like this pick. I'm a big fan of Blades and I think he could be a really nice pick-up for the Saints. I think learning behind Simmons would really help him. The only thing I'm worried about concerning Blades is his sub-par coverage skills. All in all, I really like the pick.

Grade: A

This is another pick that I really like. Smith reminds me of Joe Horn a good bit in that he is a decent blocker, knows how to get open, is a good route-runner, and is deceptively quick. His 40 time at the combine really helped him out and I think him playing alongside Marques Colston would be a really good duo.

Grade: A

The second day allows you to take a few more risks than you would on the first and this pick definitely fits the risk taking category. Before his injury, Matt Spaeth was probably a Day One selection. Now with his injury he will fall to the second. I'm not quite sure how he'll recover from the injury. If he recovers well, then great. If not, then we're back to the drawing board. While I like Spaeth and it does seem like he will be one of the best TE's left available at this time I am a little uncertain about his recovery. I'm going to grade this pick lower based on the risk factor.

Grade: B-

I like Alleman pick as I'm not completely sold on Jamar Nesbit at LG. The only thing about Alleman is his lack of lower body strength and the level of competition he played against. I think other guys that we could look at with this pick are Allen Barbe and Kyle Young. I am also worried about how Alleman would fit into our blocking scheme.

Grade: C+

Throughout recent years there have been a number of smaller school defensive backs come in and make a difference. Bain could possibly be one of the next guys to do it. He needs to add weight, even though he has the speed already. I am also concerned about him moving from the University of Miami down a level in competition by transferring to Hampton. I like the pick as it gives us some depth at a major position of need and I see some potential in Bain.

Grade: B

Overall, I really like this mock as it addresses all of our positions of need and gives us depth in positions that lack them now. I think it is fairly realistic and this could well be how our draft pans out. There are a few players I'd like to see be taken, or some that could be considered more over the players you have listed, but it is a very nice draft. Good job!

Overall grade -- B

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter

Last edited by diabsoule : 03-12-2007 at 02:14 AM.
Old 03-11-2007, 02:55 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

FINALLY I got around to finishing my big board, and mock.. I had to re-do my whole mock after I messed up, my new one is a bit optimistic but it's just how it played out.

Here's my personal 1st round Big Board, basically I would be happy if we landed any of these players somehow in the first round.

Auron's Big Board

- I'm actually starting to warm up to the idea of Griffin, at first I was against taking a safety early but with the safety problems if everyone else is gone I think he'd be a fine pick up. I didn't rank any WR's but if Bowe/Meachem/ or Ginn are there I would take a serious look at them as well. I'm not as a high on Tank Tyler as others but he is a possibility, and Weddle has recently been climbing up draft boards and has a good chance at being a late 1st rounder.

Here's the Mock
Auron's Saints Draft 1.2

* Dang it it won't let me post the picture so I have to link it...and I lost my other write up.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:14 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auron View Post
FINALLY I got around to finishing my big board, and mock.. I had to re-do my whole mock after I messed up, my new one is a bit optimistic but it's just how it played out.

Here's my personal 1st round Big Board, basically I would be happy if we landed any of these players somehow in the first round.

Auron's Big Board

- I'm actually starting to warm up to the idea of Griffin, at first I was against taking a safety early but with the safety problems if everyone else is gone I think he'd be a fine pick up. I didn't rank any WR's but if Bowe/Meachem/ or Ginn are there I would take a serious look at them as well. I'm not as a high on Tank Tyler as others but he is a possibility, and Weddle has recently been climbing up draft boards and has a good chance at being a late 1st rounder.

Here's the Mock
Auron's Saints Draft 1.2

* Dang it it won't let me post the picture so I have to link it...and I lost my other write up.
I really, really like the mock. I'll give a more detailed explanation later.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 03-11-2007, 08:12 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That is absolutely a terrific mock Auron!
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 10:05 PM    (permalink
TigerBait45
Veteran

TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.

If Revis falls to the Saints I would be ecstatic. Chris Houston or Aaron Ross seem more likely, and both seem to have almost unlimited potential, so I'd be happy with any of the three.
TigerBait45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 10:08 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerBait45 View Post
If Revis falls to the Saints I would be ecstatic. Chris Houston or Aaron Ross seem more likely, and both seem to have almost unlimited potential, so I'd be happy with any of the three.
I'm thinking Houston is going to go pretty damn early. I think Ross and Revis will be more in our range -- I also expect some draft day trades just like last year as well.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote