Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 07-17-2009, 01:04 PM    (permalink
BoneKrusher
DC GFX Team
Pro Bowler

BoneKrusher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BoneKrusher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BoneKrusher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BoneKrusher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BoneKrusher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BoneKrusher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BoneKrusher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BoneKrusher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BoneKrusher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BoneKrusher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BoneKrusher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

my gear:
Old 10-16-2009, 05:05 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i have to admit something.

i got home today and picked up the guitar.

there is nothing sweeter than watching your fingers hit the fretboard just light enough, just fast enough to glide up... when you have the gain set just perfectly, the clearest amount of distortion... and then you pinch harmonic at the right second...

i've been playing zao for the past hour, and it's glorious.

dear other musicians: what picks do you play with?

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:09 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sticks, not picks.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:12 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooMonkey View Post
Sticks, not picks.
well. what sticks do you use?

when i do actually hit (because i can't REALLY drum), i use vic firth 55a's...

Old 10-16-2009, 05:13 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfullyquiet View Post
dear other musicians: what picks do you play with?
Jim Dunlop 48mm Nylon picks. THE best for lots of strumming.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:15 PM    (permalink
vikes_28
Resident Ginger
All-Pro

vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I use my fingers. Even when I'm attempting to play the acoustic.

sig by fenikz
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBrotherCain View Post
You are just a terrible person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I have an iPhone.
vikes_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:15 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
well. what sticks do you use?

when i do actually hit (because i can't REALLY drum), i use vic firth 55a's...
Eh, I'm not picky. When I buy I usually try something new but I do usually buy VF. For the most part though I like lighter sticks with plastic tips.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:23 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
Jim Dunlop 48mm Nylon picks. THE best for lots of strumming.
Shah. You can curl them and bend them... that's what i play when i pick up a guitar... i think i play a .38... the extra thin ones...

bass?

sharp jazz III 1.38... i get such a nice pluck sound... and for bass, intonation is 70% of the battle. and it all starts with... your right hand.

Old 10-16-2009, 05:54 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Shah. You can curl them and bend them... that's what i play when i pick up a guitar... i think i play a .38... the extra thin ones...

bass?

sharp jazz III 1.38... i get such a nice pluck sound... and for bass, intonation is 70% of the battle. and it all starts with... your right hand.
Yep, the ones i have are actually .46mm, i guess i ran out of .48s. I started with a classical guitar, but the hard picks would get stuck in the strings too often, a friend then recommended the picks i use now and they're the best. For acoustic as well. It just sounds very crisp, you don't sacrifice sound at all.

As far as bass goes, i've never played, although i'm looking into getting one because me and some friends want to start a country music band. I know i won't have a hard time picking it up, but could you recommend anything online that could help me learn? Also, what would be a decently well sounding bass guitar i could get on the cheap? Not really looking to break the bank on a starter bass.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:56 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

if you can play the guitar. you can play the bass.

it doesn't mean you can play it well.

especially country-wise... it's all intonation. it's all 'feeling it'... not doing too much, but doing enough to drive the song... bounce, but enough punch... it's about 50% play-style. 30% amp. 20% guitar... yamaha t40 is pretty much going to be the end all-be all for any country styling... as far as the amp?

http://www.carvinguitars.com/product...?product=B1500

that's my solution to most problems, it's not the amp i use the most, but it's the most versatile i own. great clean, great potential, the eq channels on it are phenomenal... if you don't have a good selection of pedals... it might not be the right one.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:14 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

I'd just really like to learn scales that way i can freelance it a lot more. I know it's not too difficult especially for country music, but yeah, i can play acoustic pretty well, but my friend picks a lot better.

Also, i googled yamaha t40 and got nothing. :/
Old 10-16-2009, 07:20 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

Quote:
I'd just really like to learn scales that way i can freelance it a lot more. I know it's not too difficult especially for country music, but yeah, i can play acoustic pretty well, but my friend picks a lot better.

Also, i googled yamaha t40 and got nothing. :/
i meant a peavey.

i was thinking of a yamaha amp..

but the peavey bass...

http://www.musicgoround.com/detail.aspx?id=742194
https://creamcitymusic.com/p-44933-peavey-t-40.aspx

its either that OR a rickenbacker... which will cost you a ton.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:38 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Holy ****, used it's 300 bucks?
Old 10-16-2009, 07:42 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

Quote:
Holy ****, used it's 300 bucks?
win? huh...

http://www.gibson.com/Files/productI...0Bass/body.jpg is also 300 dollars...

with a few extra bones, you can replace the pickups for 150... and make it sound like an instrument... well... i'd pay.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:43 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The scales are pretty easy to work out with the bass. You wind up using mostly resting/resolving notes or pentatonic scales, so it's pretty quick work to figure it out.

Personally, I think you can do a lot more with a bass if you avoid picks all together (except maybe those awesome felt ones). Granted, it's going to make it a more difficult transition from guitar, but I think it's worth it.

edit - Honestly, your first bass doesn't need to be very good. I got some $200 Dean EVO to start out with, but compared to my current bass it feel unplayable these days.

Last edited by Paranoidmoonduck : 10-16-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Paranoidmoonduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:47 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
win? huh...

http://www.gibson.com/Files/productI...0Bass/body.jpg is also 300 dollars...

with a few extra bones, you can replace the pickups for 150... and make it sound like an instrument... well... i'd pay.
I don't know if it's win, i know jack **** about bass guitars lol, it just seems pricey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
The scales are pretty easy to work out with the bass. You wind up using mostly resting/resolving notes or pentatonic scales, so it's pretty quick work to figure it out.

Personally, I think you can do a lot more with a bass if you avoid picks all together (except maybe those awesome felt ones). Granted, it's going to make it a more difficult transition from guitar, but I think it's worth it.
Yeah, i've always seen bass playing would be better without picks, just so you can move your fingers around a little more freely. Pluck two strings easier also. I'm trying to get into it asap so we can get our group going :p
Old 10-16-2009, 07:53 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I don't know if it's win, i know jack **** about bass guitars lol, it just seems pricey.
The truth is that the only real reason to get a truly nice bass is that it'll make you want to play it. Granted, there is fluctuation in quality from the low-end stuff to the mid-end, but the mid-end to high end difference is basically nil.

I love Thunderbirds. But unless you have to have that look, I'm not sure I'd make it my first bass.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:58 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

the peavey t40 though is a sex machine.

i'd suggest it. it's older... maybe be dinged... but has a great sound to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
I love Thunderbirds. But unless you have to have that look, I'm not sure I'd make it my first bass.
i do too. spent a boatload on my vintage t-bird...

i just lov'm.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:13 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I usually don't use a pick and even when I do I don't really have much of a preference. I grabbed a bunch of free picks from guitar center the last time I was there(2 years ago) and have just been using those whenever I have the need for it.

^A Bonekrusher production^
Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:12 PM    (permalink
vikes_28
Resident Ginger
All-Pro

vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

MetSox, Ibanez makes some really nice starter basses. I'm not sure what your price range is, but I got my starter Ibanez for 150 used. And it was a good little learning bass. Now I have something much more complex. And I have yet to step away from Ibanez. Ibanez has really thick sounds, which I like for country.

sig by fenikz
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBrotherCain View Post
You are just a terrible person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I have an iPhone.
vikes_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:18 PM    (permalink
General Zod
All-Pro

General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've been playing guitar and sexophone for about 20 years now.

my main axe:

my main amp:

(not my picture, but my setup is a peavy 5150 w/ Marshall 4x12 celestion cab)

with various Boss pedals and gates(Boss make the best pedals in the world imo)

http://www.change.org/petitions/trac...share_petition
General Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:19 PM    (permalink
HawkeyeFan
Rookie

HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've been screaming for about 4 months noww...

The Cadillac Three - Tennessee Mojo
http://youtu.be/N41DdVedXCo
HawkeyeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 11:40 PM    (permalink
General Zod
All-Pro

General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ive been wanting to buy a combo tube amp has of late, but have been very undecided. I tried out a bunch of amps. Im so used to my 5150 half stack, im having a hard time finding anything better to me.

http://www.change.org/petitions/trac...share_petition
General Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 11:51 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeFan View Post
I've been screaming for about 4 months noww...
Haha, oh man.

Sorry, I used to do vocals, and I find it interesting how 90% of kids screaming have about three different sounds, and none of them do it well enough that they aren't hoarse or have sore throats from it.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Last edited by Brent : 10-17-2009 at 11:59 PM. Reason: typozzzz
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 12:05 AM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've always been disappointed that I can't pull off a decent growl considering my relatively-deep timbre. My voice gets immediately scratchy and, well, it doesn't sound good.

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
<TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that
The Unseen is offline   Reply With Quote