Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-03-2007, 11:46 AM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151 View Post
It's pretty annoying every person that comes in here and says "OMG SO MUCH MONEY!!!11!!1!!" when it isn't that crazy of a deal for a top 10 CB.
I agree. Look at the contract Brian Williams got from the Jaguars last year: 6 years, $32 million, with a $10 million signing bonus. And that's for a guy who wasn't even a consistent starter for his former team.

Everybody really just needs to calm down. Like it's been said, he'll never see the last two years of the contract. A 6 year, $40-ish million contract sounds just about right, although, I'd say they forked up too much in terms of guaranteed money.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 11:46 AM    (permalink
AS11toFG21
Rookie

AS11toFG21 is a cocksman.AS11toFG21 is a cocksman.AS11toFG21 is a cocksman.AS11toFG21 is a cocksman.AS11toFG21 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flave1969 View Post
His Signing Bonus is 22 million pro rated over the length of the contract that is 2.75 million per year he receives all of that

If he does last six years and gets paid $43.5 million and then gets cut, the Niners will still have $5.5million in dead cap, so in essence the contract will cost $49 million, even if they dont physically pay that. That is still money they cannot use when he is gone.

My team has seen it time and time again. Your team were crippled after the first years of free agency. Had the Redskins done this you would be laughing hard. I suggest you look in the mirror and realise that this was way too much for a player recognised not being in the Top 5 of his position.

Also if he is a bust, or gets injured the 49ers have saddled a huge dead cap hit on themselves. You will feel this, just like us Redskin fans do with Archuleta and Lloyd. I hope you guys dont regret it too bad.
His signing bonus is likely going to be pro-rated over the first 6 years of the contract, meaning there will be no cap hit when he's released. And you really cant compare a player like Clements to guys like Brandon Lloyd and Adam Archuletta (At least when the Skins signed him).

For a top 10 corner, it's a very reasonable deal given inflation and the market.
AS11toFG21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 12:08 PM    (permalink
flave1969
Rookie

flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AS11toFG21 View Post
His signing bonus is likely going to be pro-rated over the first 6 years of the contract, meaning there will be no cap hit when he's released. And you really cant compare a player like Clements to guys like Brandon Lloyd and Adam Archuletta (At least when the Skins signed him).

For a top 10 corner, it's a very reasonable deal given inflation and the market.
Look lets not kid ourselves here.

Its the signing bonus thats the killer here.

If it is pro rated over six years then that is $3.66 million a year. The guy who quoted $7.25 a year infers that he will average $3.59 million in base salary a year.

Now if I see a contract on paper that has a straight $3.59 base salary every year fine. But any of us that study this knows that contracts are almost always backloaded these days and that means it may be low to start with but will escalate quickly.

Dont be surprised if you see potential cap hits of between 9-10 milion or more in years 4,5 and 6 of the contract and that can cause real problems. I have seen it with the Redskins time and again.

If the Niners need to negotiate with Clements say in year 3 or 4, Clements is in an amazingly strong position. You cant cut him because you will see a dead cap hit of between 11-14 million, and if you want to keep him you have to inevitably give him more guaranteed money.

Signing bonuses are the real problem here and his is about 6-8 million to large IMO.
flave1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 12:40 PM    (permalink
Larry
Veteran

Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPFKA#1SaintsFan View Post
Yeah, so giving the biggest defensive contract in league history to a guy who isn't even top 5 at his position isn't a gamble?
Who the heck makes signing based upon where a player is ranked at his position? That logic makes no sense.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:46 PM    (permalink
Larry
Veteran

Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.

Quote:
His Signing Bonus is 22 million pro rated over the length of the contract that is 2.75 million per year he receives all of that

If he does last six years and gets paid $43.5 million and then gets cut, the Niners will still have $5.5million in dead cap, so in essence the contract will cost $49 million, even if they dont physically pay that. That is still money they cannot use when he is gone.

My team has seen it time and time again. Your team were crippled after the first years of free agency. Had the Redskins done this you would be laughing hard. I suggest you look in the mirror and realise that this was way too much for a player recognised not being in the Top 5 of his position.

Also if he is a bust, or gets injured the 49ers have saddled a huge dead cap hit on themselves. You will feel this, just like us Redskin fans do with Archuleta and Lloyd. I hope you guys dont regret it too bad.

No one laughs at the redskins for spending money on players. They laugh at the redskins because they spend it on the wrong players.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:55 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Look lets not kid ourselves here.

Its the signing bonus thats the killer here.

If it is pro rated over six years then that is $3.66 million a year. The guy who quoted $7.25 a year infers that he will average $3.59 million in base salary a year.

Now if I see a contract on paper that has a straight $3.59 base salary every year fine. But any of us that study this knows that contracts are almost always backloaded these days and that means it may be low to start with but will escalate quickly.

Dont be surprised if you see potential cap hits of between 9-10 milion or more in years 4,5 and 6 of the contract and that can cause real problems. I have seen it with the Redskins time and again.

If the Niners need to negotiate with Clements say in year 3 or 4, Clements is in an amazingly strong position. You cant cut him because you will see a dead cap hit of between 11-14 million, and if you want to keep him you have to inevitably give him more guaranteed money.

Signing bonuses are the real problem here and his is about 6-8 million to large IMO.
So basically what you're saying is that they're screwed if they have to restructure his contract in years 3-6, and I would have to agree, especially if they have to do it to resign key players whose rookie contracts are expiring (Smith, Gore, their young offensive line).
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 03:50 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner View Post
So basically what you're saying is that they're screwed if they have to restructure his contract in years 3-6, and I would have to agree, especially if they have to do it to resign key players whose rookie contracts are expiring (Smith, Gore, their young offensive line).

The 49ers still have about 23-26 mil of cap room for this year. The cap goes up next year as well, and larry allen's and bryant young's contracts both go off the books next season, clearing 9 mil on top of the 7 mil its going up. They should be fine and i think could support another big contract if it is well structured like the clements deal.

And ill agree, the guaranteed money was about 7 mil more than my liking. But you have to overpay for players in FA, otherwise you dont get them. I hope the reward outweighs the risk.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 05:39 PM    (permalink
flave1969
Rookie

flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
The 49ers still have about 23-26 mil of cap room for this year. The cap goes up next year as well, and larry allen's and bryant young's contracts both go off the books next season, clearing 9 mil on top of the 7 mil its going up. They should be fine and i think could support another big contract if it is well structured like the clements deal.

And ill agree, the guaranteed money was about 7 mil more than my liking. But you have to overpay for players in FA, otherwise you dont get them. I hope the reward outweighs the risk.

It may well do, Clements is a decent player and could lock down the position for a few years.
flave1969 is offline   Reply With Quote