Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 10-19-2009, 06:08 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
There's no way around it. I'd personally go for it. We can't let him have all day to throw against Houston, Grimes, Jackson, etc., but he will probably kill the blitz. I'd much rather take chances against him.
True, I honestly don't expect our chances to be very good either way.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:39 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
That's a shame. He's been doing a solid job for us. Who else loved BVG dialing up some blitzes as well?
I was terrified everytime. Its a good thing that Cutler isn't consistently accurate and is a terrible decision maker, but if we try to pull that against Eli Manning or Drew Brees, I expect us to be eaten alive. Especially against Brees, who performs better against the blitz.

But it was fun to see for once. Who would have thought that this team was capable of blitzing like that, after years and years of soft coverages. It is only a matter of time before Dmitroff loads up the defense with talent to go along with the offense. TD's talent + Smith's coaching + BVG's scheme given enough time will rock.

We have to find a way to jump start this offense at the beginning. Ryan seems to usually start games off slow and this becomes a problem because Turner isn't there to dominate at the start of the game either. The no huddle provided the spark that this offense needed, but how often are we going to rely on that (serious question though. how often will we use it? can we use it more often please?) to get the offense going? Instead of the numerous runs we call at the beginning, I would like it a lot of we could throw in some short throws to White and Tony G or screens to Norwood (and Turner! who knew he could catch) so Ryan can get into some rhythm.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:57 PM    (permalink
Falcon<3
Rookie

Falcon<3 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think he did a mighty fine job last night dialing up blitzes in the correct situations that didn't really challenge the QB they just dictated where they ball had to be placed. Cutler did a great job doing what he had to do, but Grimes who was the one left in the situation where he had to make a tackle did a great job keeping the guys short of first downs, which is all you can ask for. It was masterfully done by our defense last night. I hope we do it more often.

I know we can't do the same thing to Brees and New Orleans, but right now we have the Cowboys to focus on and try and make that game against New Orleans even more important, as in, for the division lead. But right now we have to travel to Dallas and find a way to bottle up their run game, and keep Witten bottled up while not letting Roy Williams man up against our 2ndary. It's a little bit much to worry about Brees right now.
Falcon<3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:23 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
We have to find a way to jump start this offense at the beginning.

The answer to this is Jerious Norwood. He just can't stay ******* healthy. I'd like to Roddy targeted some more personally.

And while I do think we will beat the Cowboys, I think they are getting hated on too much. They really aren't that awful. I still see something like a 31-21 Falcons victory though.

Last edited by ATLDirtyBirds : 10-19-2009 at 08:35 PM.
ATLDirtyBirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:16 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think we can keep our defensive game-plan in tact against the Cowboys, Romo and Cutler are very similar and their weapons are too. I like the Bears defense over the Cowboys defense, especially in the secondary. So I think, barring an implosion, we have a good chance to win.

Old 10-20-2009, 04:50 AM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hate the fact that I have to look at our corners and see Houston and Grimes as the starters, that just makes me cringe.

And I did not think id see Grimes out play anyone in the secondary but he def. played a better game than Houston, who just isn't good.

I think we have to Blitz to at least look like we are trying to stop Brees, I mean our secondary has trouble with every team in the passing game, and we are just lucky enough to play the best one in the league in 2 weeks.

Hopefully the Dallas game will be a big motivation game for us and really play solid going into the Monday night game.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:45 AM    (permalink
scar988
All-Pro

scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think we need to move Houston to LCB. it's obvious he has no idea how to handle guys throwing to the #2 option, but can man up with the guys all day. I also think that Chevis should be the RCB. then in the offseason and next years TC let the guys battle it out. I think Owens would win the LCB job and Jackson the RCB job.

Owner of ScarDraft
Atlanta Falcons and NFL Draft Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report
scar988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:15 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

I hate the university of Arkansas so much now. Bust NFL players, Bobby Petrino, Pig Suey, etc. Way to go Rich McKay, draft Anderson and Houston..

Old 10-20-2009, 06:39 PM    (permalink
Falcon<3
Rookie

Who said Chris Houston is a bust? I think he does a fine job for the most part, no he's never going to get his head around on the ball and make plays, but he's going to stick to his guy like it's his job...because...well...it is his job.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:41 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Chris Houston is not good.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:42 PM    (permalink
Falcon<3
Rookie

Matt Ryan isn't the quarterback for the Atlanta Falcons.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:54 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jamaal Anderson is a bust, Chris Houston is just not good. He was never good, just a workout warrior.

Sig by: BK

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
we all hate you
Bosanac01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:13 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldn't call Chris Houston bad. I just wouldn't call him good. He's always been good facing the ball or in man coverage. When his back is to the ball he struggles.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:29 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here are 2 records that I found interesting and impressive. Before the Chicago game, Lovie Smith was 3-0 after the bye. Before the Chicago game, teams off of byes were 6-0 this season.

After the Chicago game, those records were 3-1 and 6-1 (6-2 after the MNF game if I remember correctly). We didn't execute as well as we would have hoped, but managing to beat a team coming off of a bye is a somewhat impressive feat.

Let's hope we can continue this against Dallas. Here are some stats from Dallas:

Defense
-Allows a 94.6 QB rating for the opposing QB (6th worst)
-Allows a 62.8% rate for the opposing QB (9th worst)
-Allows 7.2 yards per pass attempt (15th worst)

They accumulated these statistics while playing TB, NYG, CAR, DEN, and KC. The Giants are the only ones that rival our passing offense, but instead of Steve Smith, Mario Manningham, and Kevin Boss as the receivers, we have Michael Jenkins, Roddy White, and Tony Gonzalez (i am not even going to get into manning-ryan (not that it its an obvious choice- its not)). We definitely seem to have the pass offense to take advantage of that pass defense, but with the extra week to prepare, will they find a way to unleash Ware and get the secondary on track? By the way, I don't want to target Brooking a ton during the game, because that is mean, but if the game is close, we have to pick him apart in pass coverage (and rush?).

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

Last edited by d34ng3l021 : 10-21-2009 at 03:26 AM.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:37 PM    (permalink
Falcon<3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
Here are 2 records that I found interesting and impressive. Before the Chicago game, Lovie Smith was 3-0 after the bye. Before the Chicago game, teams off of byes were 6-0 this season.

After the Chicago game, those records were 3-1 and 6-1 (6-2 after the MNF game if I remember correctly).
Lets hope we can keep that record headed in that direction we have a lot of teams coming off bye weeks this year.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:04 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon<3 View Post
Matt Ryan isn't the quarterback for the Atlanta Falcons.

Christ, I think you have gotten worse with time.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:51 PM    (permalink
Falcon<3
Rookie

Quote:
Christ, I think you have gotten worse with time.
I don't know what all this jibberish is about, but my comment was simply as incorrect as yours was. It looked like fun when you did it, so I thought I'd give it a shot. You can continue to -rep me, it really doesn't matter to me. I'm here to have fun and talk about football, but if I get sidetracked by silly comments like yours and it costs me that all important rep...so be it.

Also, I would greatly appreciate it if you would not use the Lord's name in vain. If you don't believe how I do, that's fine, but that's extremely offensive to me. Far more than any swear words that are filtered.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:05 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree on the Lord's name thing, but otherwise...

C'mon Iloxy. I know it's you for two simple reasons:
1.) You talk about rep every time someone neg reps you.
2.) You love to argue.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 05:08 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon<3 View Post
I don't know what all this jibberish is about, but my comment was simply as incorrect as yours was. It looked like fun when you did it, so I thought I'd give it a shot. You can continue to -rep me, it really doesn't matter to me. I'm here to have fun and talk about football, but if I get sidetracked by silly comments like yours and it costs me that all important rep...so be it.

Also, I would greatly appreciate it if you would not use the Lord's name in vain. If you don't believe how I do, that's fine, but that's extremely offensive to me. Far more than any swear words that are filtered.

I don't get you. I'm not sure if you are just plain dumb, don't know **** about football, or if you are just an absurd homer. No one legitimately thinks Chris Houston is a good cornerback.

And honestly, I'd greatly appreciate it if you would shut the **** up. I will say as I please. If you don't like it, you can kindly leave.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:48 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Apparently, Norwood's injury might have him out for a while.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:00 PM    (permalink
Falcon<3
Rookie

Quote:
I don't get you. I'm not sure if you are just plain dumb, don't know **** about football, or if you are just an absurd homer. No one legitimately thinks Chris Houston is a good cornerback.

And honestly, I'd greatly appreciate it if you would shut the **** up. I will say as I please. If you don't like it, you can kindly leave.
Chris Houston simply is not a bad cornerback. I've never said he was a really good one, he's not a bad one.

You can say how you want, just thought I'd ask. It's not really that much to ask for you to be considerate...but I guess that's a foreign concept to you.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:06 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

Quote:
Apparently, Norwood's injury might have him out for a while.
Yeah. That hurts, but who didn't see it coming? We have always been high on Snelling and now that he is our 3rd down back for the Dallas game and maybe the Saints game too, we will see what he has to offer; maybe we won't have to resign Norwood.

We signed Antoine Smith, a quick shifty back. He ran a 4.3 on his pro day and benched 225 30ish times. It'll be interesting to see what he can do on the field.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:23 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As of right now Antone Smith is on the practice squad and working with the scout team. I doubt we see him get any reps, but he really reminds me of Warrick Dunn with his size, and coming out from the same school.

Sig by: BK

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
we all hate you
Bosanac01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:30 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

With Norwood's lingering injury issues, I wouldn't be surprised to see him later in the season, once he grasps the playbook.

So I was browsing over some stats, and Dallas accumulates 160 rushing yards per game with a crazy deep RB unit. Barber, Choice, and Jones? How are we going to stop that? If they have a weak offensive line, we can continue to have success against the running game, like in SF and against CHI. That likely isn't the case with Adams and Davis, but those are only names to me; I haven't seen them play.

Old 10-22-2009, 04:45 AM    (permalink
DraftMichaelHuff
Veteran

DraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosanac01 View Post
As of right now Antone Smith is on the practice squad and working with the scout team. I doubt we see him get any reps, but he really reminds me of Warrick Dunn with his size, and coming out from the same school.
On paper, he is alot stronger than Dunn, put up 225lbs 31 times at the combine, at 190lbs and running a 4.33, thats insane