Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-03-2007, 08:00 PM    (permalink
bigmac076
Veteran

bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHobbs27 View Post
I love this move by the Pats. While I don't like giving up a 2nd rounder, we still do have 2 first rounders and a 3rd rounder to work with. It also takes a need away at WR allowing the Pats to look defense and defense in round 1. Welker is young and has a lot of potential. I am excited about this move for the Pats.

Also hopefully this will take away the "Pats are cheap" label away.
The Adalius Thomas signing alone takes it away, this will definetly put the nail in the coffin of the "we build through the draft" mentality the Patriots once lived by.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:24 PM    (permalink
Marino13
Veteran

Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Adam Scheffter is reporting the deal is 7 years $38 million. I love Wes, but he's not worth that much
Marino13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 08:28 PM    (permalink
jetsfan3
All-Pro

jetsfan3 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marino13 View Post
Adam Scheffter is reporting the deal is 7 years $38 million. I love Wes, but he's not worth that much
Yes he is. He was Miami's best offensive player last year. I'll say it agian, he is a leader, an incredible hard worker with a nonstop motor, and brings a positive influence into the locker room. Also, he's a special teams animal. He's tough, and will always pull out that extra 4 yards on a return. When you think the other team has him, he gets 4 more yards. And he's also tough as nails.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:31 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He wasn't our best player, he was our best receiver, Brown was the best offensive skills player. Welker isn't a leader. He is a good return man but has a lot of fair catches and isn't really a thread to take it the distance. I'm sure the deal works out to be not anywhere near that big, but he still isn't worth that much, at least not to Miami. Maybe the Pats can make him into a starting WR that gets more than 10 ypc but all he was in Miami was a slot receiver that caught a lot of underneath stuff and didn't get much YAC.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 10:25 PM    (permalink
Grizzlegom
Mr. Rogers
All-Pro

Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

$5 million+ per year for a number three receiver, an average kick returner, and an above average punt returner...sounds pretty steep to me. ill take the second rounder.

sig by BoneKrusher
Grizzlegom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 10:49 PM    (permalink
Dolfan2788
Rookie

Dolfan2788 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I guess some people are really down on Welker. But for me a guy that is a great punt returner in the league. An average kick returner and a guy that doesn't drop passes will be worth it to the Pats.

BB wants high character guys that will do it his way and there isn't a better candidate in the entire league than Wes Welker. (Maybe Rod Smith) And even though he did all these things for the fins the 2nd rounder will benefit us more than keeping Wes.

Keep in mind that Wes caught 67 passes from Joey Harrington. With Brady and that offensive system and some of his nifty little moves to gain a couple of extra yards it's not a fantasy to say he could catch 75 passes and have a 1000 yard season. I'm sure Pats fans would have wanted Wes catching those passes in the postseason than Caldwell anyway.

I never knew DJ Hackett was better than Wes Welker but I guess a guy that drops passes whilst having a SB QB throwing the ball to him and also not being as versatile as Wes who has a perennial loser throwing to him is better....
Dolfan2788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 10:51 PM    (permalink
jetsfan3
All-Pro

jetsfan3 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151 View Post
He wasn't our best player, he was our best receiver, Brown was the best offensive skills player. Welker isn't a leader. He is a good return man but has a lot of fair catches and isn't really a thread to take it the distance. I'm sure the deal works out to be not anywhere near that big, but he still isn't worth that much, at least not to Miami. Maybe the Pats can make him into a starting WR that gets more than 10 ypc but all he was in Miami was a slot receiver that caught a lot of underneath stuff and didn't get much YAC.
Ok he's not a leader, I just threw that in there. He was your best offesnive player. Brown was injured most of the year, and didn't really do anything.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:04 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolfan2788 View Post
I guess some people are really down on Welker. But for me a guy that is a great punt returner in the league. An average kick returner and a guy that doesn't drop passes will be worth it to the Pats.

BB wants high character guys that will do it his way and there isn't a better candidate in the entire league than Wes Welker. (Maybe Rod Smith) And even though he did all these things for the fins the 2nd rounder will benefit us more than keeping Wes.

Keep in mind that Wes caught 67 passes from Joey Harrington. With Brady and that offensive system and some of his nifty little moves to gain a couple of extra yards it's not a fantasy to say he could catch 75 passes and have a 1000 yard season. I'm sure Pats fans would have wanted Wes catching those passes in the postseason than Caldwell anyway.

I never knew DJ Hackett was better than Wes Welker but I guess a guy that drops passes whilst having a SB QB throwing the ball to him and also not being as versatile as Wes who has a perennial loser throwing to him is better....

I've heard people call him a white steve smith, he's not as good after the catch, but the two are very similar in the way they attack the ball and work well against all types of coverage.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 11:15 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsfan3 View Post
Ok he's not a leader, I just threw that in there. He was your best offesnive player. Brown was injured most of the year, and didn't really do anything.
Brown missed 3 games and had 1000 yards behind an average at best run blocking OL and not much passing game to speak of or a competent OC. You should know how good Brown is, he put up 240 yards on the Jets this year. Randy McMichael had a better year than Welker even with all the drops. When Booker was healthy he was better.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 01:19 AM    (permalink
TheChampIsHere
Veteran

TheChampIsHere hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

With Troy Brown probably retiring, I think the Pats are looking for a replacement and I think it is a fair comparison. Good return man, standout special teamer, solid receiver with good RAC ability, he could step in and replace Troy Brown. Honestly, if you had to ask whose game does Welker's resemble, the answer would probably have to be Troy Brown. And I can see how that would be worth a 2nd rounder to the Pats, especially with them having made other moves in FA to eliminate needs, such as OLB.

As for the Dolphins, I dont expect them to sign. They have plenty of needs as it is and Welker is a guy they can afford to lose. That 2nd rounder would be very useful and they could get an impact starter.
TheChampIsHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 01:42 AM    (permalink
Finsfan79
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Finsfan79 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsfan3 View Post
brown played more then half of the year :P so it cant be most and when he went out is when we started to lose in the end.

a 2nd rounder to Miami for Welker makes me happy :)
Finsfan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 02:13 AM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marino13 View Post
Probably similarly structured to the huge deal Seattle gave Nate Burleson that really doesn't kick in until later in the contract. Still though, that money and a second rounder for Welker seems a bit much.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:26 AM    (permalink
remix 6
Pro Bowler

remix 6 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

poison pill :)
remix 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 07:29 AM    (permalink
locseti
Veteran

locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It almost seems like Deion Branch was traded for Wes Welker....
locseti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 07:34 AM    (permalink
remix 6
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by locseti View Post
It almost seems like Deion Branch was traded for Wes Welker....
expect we got a late first(24th) and we give a late 2nd(60th)

i really hope this doesnt go through or anything. Welker is a great guy and all but a 2nd and then a contract .. ehh
Old 03-04-2007, 07:37 AM    (permalink
locseti
Veteran

locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by remix 6 View Post
expect we got a late first(24th) and we give a late 2nd(60th)

i really hope this doesnt go through or anything. Welker is a great guy and all but a 2nd and then a contract .. ehh

Ya, but Welker just seems to me like a guy that Belichick would really go crazy for...Im just happy about the free 4th round pick that we got for Gabriel :)
Old 03-04-2007, 07:40 AM    (permalink
remix 6
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Ya, but Welker just seems to me like a guy that Belichick would really go crazy for...Im just happy about the free 4th round pick that we got for Gabriel :)
it was a 5th
Old 03-04-2007, 07:44 AM    (permalink
remix 6
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac076 View Post
The Adalius Thomas signing alone takes it away, this will definetly put the nail in the coffin of the "we build through the draft" mentality the Patriots once lived by.
doesnt make sense though..if were still cheap after getting Colvin and Harrison in '04 and then making a huge offer to Mason and possibly Rolle..then how did we remove the label now with1 big signing opposed to the 2 we have in 2004?
Old 03-04-2007, 07:52 AM    (permalink
locseti
Veteran

hey, don't buy into that BS...Thomas was the most sought after FA and that signing alone makes your defense a definite step above what it was. And im happy with the 5th, any draft pick is a plus compared to what we had coming into this draft..
Old 03-04-2007, 07:55 AM    (permalink
locseti
Veteran

But you gotta admit we got the best of the almighty Patriots with that Gabriel deal!
Old 03-04-2007, 07:55 AM    (permalink
remix 6
Pro Bowler

Quote:
hey, don't buy into that BS...Thomas was the most sought after FA and that signing alone makes your defense a definite step above what it was. And im happy with the 5th, any draft pick is a plus compared to what we had coming into this draft..
agreed about the draft pick..if u can get anything and somehow get the player back..its good

still wondering WTF went wrong..he was playing well for most part then dissapeared after a big fumble. either Gabriel's attitude or mental toughness or learning the playbook or w.e
Old 03-04-2007, 08:00 AM    (permalink
locseti
Veteran

Man, to be honest, Bill Belichick is an asshole. Gabriel was the best receiver you had, and it was clear that he had a rapport with Brady. I bleieve the rumors that he fell out of favor with Belichick. I absolutely could not believe when we picked him up off waivers, cause he really is a good receiver. I guess he just didn't fit the mold.......
Old 03-04-2007, 08:22 AM    (permalink
remix 6
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Man, to be honest, Bill Belichick is an asshole. Gabriel was the best receiver you had, and it was clear that he had a rapport with Brady. I bleieve the rumors that he fell out of favor with Belichick. I absolutely could not believe when we picked him up off waivers, cause he really is a good receiver. I guess he just didn't fit the mold.......
hows BB an asshole? we dont know why Gabriel dissapeared? what if he had poor pratices or didnt work hard enough? what if he was complaining? what if he didnt learn the playbook?
Old 03-04-2007, 08:32 AM    (permalink
locseti
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by remix 6 View Post
hows BB an asshole? we dont know why Gabriel dissapeared? what if he had poor pratices or didnt work hard enough? what if he was complaining? what if he didnt learn the playbook?

Well I didn't mean to offend you, but Belichick is kind of a prick..He's a great coach, but you can't argue with the fact that he's kind of an asshole. And you're right, Gabriel's downfall could have been attributed to a number of diferent things, but he sure showed his worth on the field..In the beginning of the season he was tearing it up though, I just kinda get the feeling that Gabriel wasn't the type of player that Belichick particularly liked.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:09 AM    (permalink
remix 6
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Well I didn't mean to offend you, but Belichick is kind of a prick..He's a great coach, but you can't argue with the fact that he's kind of an asshole. And you're right, Gabriel's downfall could have been attributed to a number of diferent things, but he sure showed his worth on the field..In the beginning of the season he was tearing it up though, I just kinda get the feeling that Gabriel wasn't the type of player that Belichick particularly liked.
we've been over BB being a dick, asshole and not classy..we had a thread a couple months back about him vs LT and all that..think w.e u want as fans but hte players enjoy him and enjoy winning