Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Alex Smith or Aaron Rodgers
Alex Smith 63 75.00%
Aaron Rodgers 21 25.00%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-04-2007, 11:18 PM    (permalink
GiantRutgersFan
Veteran

GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Alex Smith or Aaron Rodgers???

Although I am probably alone on this one, I think Rodgers is gonna be a better player long term.

I dont think either of them will be great, but I think Rodgers is gonna be better.

Alex Smith just kind of doesn't seem like he has it. I think he will be okay, and start for a while but not a franchise QB by any stretch.

I think Rodgers is significantly better and is gonna have a better career by a good margin

What do you think?
Old 03-04-2007, 11:19 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

rodgers hasnt even started a game. no comparisions until rodgers plays some

Welcome to the Silver & Mack
"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
RaiderNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 11:20 PM    (permalink
MNRunLeft
Rookie

MNRunLeft hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Alex Smith really improved this season, while Rodgers hasn't done anything but hold a clipboard while in the NFL. At this point you can't even start to compaire the two because Rodgers hasn't played.
MNRunLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 11:22 PM    (permalink
GiantRutgersFan
Veteran

GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNRunLeft View Post
Alex Smith really improved this season, while Rodgers hasn't done anything but hold a clipboard while in the NFL. At this point you can't even start to compaire the two because Rodgers hasn't played.
He has played a little bit.

And you can tell from out of college as well
Old 03-04-2007, 11:23 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Alex Smith, most definately.

WMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 11:23 PM    (permalink
doingthisinsteadofwork
All-Pro

doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.

I'll take Rodgers because I liked him better out of college.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:25 PM    (permalink
DHVF
All-NFLDC

DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'll reserve my judgement until Rodgers actually gets a chance to start full time. Saying anything at this point is simply premature.

DHVF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 11:35 PM    (permalink
BLACKnGOLD
Veteran

BLACKnGOLD hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

rodgers has been given virtually no shot so this is a moot topic.

however, alex smith was pretty good last year- his best target was hurt for most of the year, and bryant was suspended for some of the season. He made TONS of progress, but was actually playing on a run oriented team so his numbers weren't going to be huge.

Remember the Seattle game- he rebounded from a bad first half, put his team on his back and came back to win. He is a very good athlete at the position, is still very young, and is a likely franchise caliber qb no doubt.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:57 PM    (permalink
JC the Savior
Rookie

JC the Savior hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Smith along with his 49ers are improving fast. They've built a strong young foundation on offense with Smith, Gore, and Davis... and if they are able to bring in a young stud WR to compliment that trio the 49ers offense will be good for a very long time.

Rodgers, although I haven't seen him in the NFL yet, doesn't have a lot of playmakers on the offense. Asides from Driver, the offense is depleted.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:15 AM    (permalink
WildDude
All-Pro

WildDude hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Rodgers, Alex Smiths a waste he just sucks he oughta take his smarts to the bussiness world cause he aint cutting it in football, if it was leinart that got drafted by the 49ers theyd actually be good he seems like hes on the right track with Arizona
WildDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 12:18 AM    (permalink
16_SFfan_80
Rookie

16_SFfan_80 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

This is a ******** topic, considering that Rodgers hasn't even played a game yet.

But just for the sake of arguing, Alex Smith will be a better quarterback. Smith will take a huge leap forward this year, now with a better defense and a more developed Vernon Davis.

Aaron Rodgers will be a career backup, and will never do anything noteable in the league.

"I'm going for 2,200 (yards) next year," Gore said. "That's the record, isn't it? Yeah, I'll get that."

Last edited by 16_SFfan_80 : 03-05-2007 at 12:21 AM.
16_SFfan_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 12:20 AM    (permalink
16_SFfan_80
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildDude View Post
Rodgers, Alex Smiths a waste he just sucks he oughta take his smarts to the bussiness world cause he aint cutting it in football, if it was leinart that got drafted by the 49ers theyd actually be good he seems like hes on the right track with Arizona
What an ignorant statement.

Leinart, despite having a ferocious duo of Fitzgerald and Boldin, was statiscally far worse than Alex Smith last season.

Alex Smith is a better quarterback than Leinart. Known fact: the Arizona Cardinals will never accomplish anything ever.

"I'm going for 2,200 (yards) next year," Gore said. "That's the record, isn't it? Yeah, I'll get that."
Old 03-05-2007, 12:44 AM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16_SFfan_80 View Post
What an ignorant statement.

Leinart, despite having a ferocious duo of Fitzgerald and Boldin, was statiscally far worse than Alex Smith last season.

Alex Smith is a better quarterback than Leinart. Known fact: the Arizona Cardinals will never accomplish anything ever.

known fact: alex smith threw 1 td and 11 ints in his first year. leinart will be on another level than alex smith

"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
Old 03-05-2007, 12:47 AM    (permalink
16_SFfan_80
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderNation View Post
known fact: alex smith threw 1 td and 11 ints in his first year. leinart will be on another level than alex smith
Known facts: Alex played behind a worse O-Line that season than the Arizona Cardinals and had Brandon Lloyd has his #1 receiver. Leinart had Fitzgerald, Boldin, and Edgerrin James. Alex could look like a stud with all those weapons as well. It's not that difficult. Leinart is overrated, simply because he went to USC. Clearly a lot of teams recognized his deficiences. That's why he fell in the draft.

Old 03-05-2007, 12:49 AM    (permalink
DChess
All-Pro

DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

smith, although its almost impossible to compare the two when rodgers hasnt started a game
DChess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 12:50 AM    (permalink
GiantRutgersFan
Veteran

And why does everyone think Vernon Davis is gonna be so great? I think hes gonna be a very good player, but he had a sub par year so you shouldn't be talking like hes a superstar (although he may be at some point)
Old 03-05-2007, 12:52 AM    (permalink
AS11toFG21
Rookie

AS11toFG21 is a cocksman.AS11toFG21 is a cocksman.AS11toFG21 is a cocksman.AS11toFG21 is a cocksman.AS11toFG21 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersFan View Post
And why does everyone think Vernon Davis is gonna be so great? I think hes gonna be a very good player, but he had a sub par year so you shouldn't be talking like hes a superstar (although he may be at some point)
He got hurt. He'll be a Top TE in a few years. Reason being he's a physical freak with a strong desire to be the best in the game.
AS11toFG21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 01:00 AM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

this a really stupid question because as many have pointed out rodgers hasnt played at all. you can say that well i liked rodgers better our of college because things become very different once you get to the nfl. at this point alex smith is the better player for two reasons 1) he has played. 2) he is visibly progressing.

after he had a terrible 1st year he had a much better 2nd year. once he gets some more weapons such as a true #1 WR then he will IMO get even better. he is young athletic and very smart. at the end of the year in 05 i didnt think that he could ever improve but he has bounced back and really improved a lot

Last edited by niel89 : 03-05-2007 at 01:02 AM.
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 01:02 AM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Known facts: Alex played behind a worse O-Line that season than the Arizona Cardinals and had Brandon Lloyd has his #1 receiver. Leinart had Fitzgerald, Boldin, and Edgerrin James. Alex could look like a stud with all those weapons as well. It's not that difficult. Leinart is overrated, simply because he went to USC. Clearly a lot of teams recognized his deficiences. That's why he fell in the draft.

so carson palmer is overated because hes a usc qb? no i think have leonard davis at ur LT is pretty bad. lloyd is a good wr but ur right on how leinart has fitz and boldin. also smith BARELY did better than leinart this year even though leinart is a rookie and didnt play every game.

Smith 16 tds 16ints 74.8 rating 16 games
Leinart 11 tds 12 ints 74.0 rating 12 games

PLUS smith had a 1,500+ yard runner in 06 and leinart had barely 1,000 rusher. niners had a better line too

"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis

Last edited by RaiderNation : 03-05-2007 at 01:07 AM.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:04 AM    (permalink
ninerfan
Pro Bowler

ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Alex by a mile at this stage. He has shown he has the talent and the knowledge to succeed in an improving team.

My concern over Rodgers is that he wont have played a meaningful game in over 3 years if Favre doesnt get hurt this season so really the Packers are no better off than they were in 2005. We still cant say wether Rodgers is any good or not

me want to kill you? hahaha Bonekrusher you complete me
ninerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 01:36 AM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninerfan View Post
Alex by a mile at this stage. He has shown he has the talent and the knowledge to succeed in an improving team.

My concern over Rodgers is that he wont have played a meaningful game in over 3 years if Favre doesnt get hurt this season so really the Packers are no better off than they were in 2005. We still cant say wether Rodgers is any good or not
Same would have been said of Rivers.

Guys sitting on the bench for muliple years and starting later, isnt a bad idea, and QBs like that tend to progress well and seem to surprise people too. Alex Smith was thrown into a fire early (too early, I think) and showed that he was not ready.

Anyway, I think Turner is a massive loss, but I still think Smith can be better. He seems to have it all; the athleticism, smarts, and work ethic. I would like to see what he can do with a solid WRs and a good pass protecting OL.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 01:39 AM    (permalink
KCJ58
Icon

KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

ALEX SMITH no question

KCJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 01:50 AM    (permalink
AS11toFG21
Rookie

AS11toFG21 is a cocksman.AS11toFG21 is a cocksman.AS11toFG21 is a cocksman.AS11toFG21 is a cocksman.AS11toFG21 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderNation View Post
lloyd is a good wr
No, he's not.
AS11toFG21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 02:35 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Known facts: Alex played behind a worse O-Line that season than the Arizona Cardinals
I cannot believe you said that.

What's the philosophy, they want to draft Joe Thomas more than anything because he looks good in red?

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 02:38 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Uhh Alex Smith

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote