Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-05-2007, 08:59 AM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Thumbs up Briggs demands a trade.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2788148

"The Chicago Bears team? The coaches, players, city and fans? Yeah, I could stay there forever. I love it. But the Chicago Bears organization? I don't want to be there anymore. I won't play for them and I'll do everything in my power to keep from playing there."
-- Lance Briggs

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 09:21 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think he gets a trade. What team will want to give up a high pick just to be able to give him at least 18 million guaranteed?
Jughead10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 09:26 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

wow. I know he was pissed off, but I didn't think he'd take it this far. Is he really this angry about that franchise tag? or is there something else going on?

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 09:28 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The problem with the franchise tag this year is that it is considerably less than what one would make on the open market compared to other years. The average of the top 5 players at a position doesn't take into account what players could get this year. Adalius Thomas' contract would certainly inflate that average.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:31 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
The problem with the franchise tag this year is that it is considerably less than what one would make on the open market compared to other years. The average of the top 5 players at a position doesn't take into account what players could get this year. Adalius Thomas' contract would certainly inflate that average.
Didn't the bears try to re-sign him? I'm guessing they did offer him quite a good deal.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
Old 03-05-2007, 09:39 AM    (permalink
OzTitan
Pro Bowler

OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The average of the top 5 was always lower than what a player could get in FA, this is because the average only counts last year's salary, not the signing bonus a FA deal would bring, it isn't just this year.

Picky I know, I'm just bored :P
OzTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 09:40 AM    (permalink
tEk
Veteran

tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Hmm shaking up things. My mock will definitely change if Briggs jumps ship. I don't know who would be willing to give up that much though.
tEk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 09:41 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hot air. Didn't Thomas Jones pull a similar rant? The Bears will just ignore him. Do the same thing they did with Jones. Once he sees he lost the battle, he'll play. Done and done.

Its hard to force your hand when the opposition holds all the strings. Briggs has no control over his situation.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:44 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Hot air. Didn't Thomas Jones pull a similar rant? The Bears will just ignore him. Do the same thing they did with Jones. Once he sees he lost the battle, he'll play. Done and done.

Its hard to force your hand when the opposition holds all the strings. Briggs has no control over his situation.
Well the thing is, let's say (for argument's sake) a team wants Briggs so bad they're willing to pay the picks... Should Chicago in that case refuse, or run with it?

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
Old 03-05-2007, 09:45 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Quote:

Still its unneeded drama. If Briggs really feels this way he will at least miss all of training camp. Which will then probably lead to him being inactive the first game or two.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:49 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict View Post
Well the thing is, let's say (for argument's sake) a team wants Briggs so bad they're willing to pay the picks... Should Chicago in that case refuse, or run with it?
Run with it. They already felt confident that they have able backups to replace him. Plus getting extra picks allows them to address multiple needs. Its a team sport, theres more to the Bears than Briggs, who many feel is a system player anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
Still its unneeded drama. If Briggs really feels this way he will at least miss all of training camp. Which will then probably lead to him being inactive the first game or two.
It is unnecessary true. But he won't miss a beat. The scheme is pretty simple, its plug and chug. He can miss all of training camp, as long as he stays in shape he'll be fine. If he misses a game, its no biggie. The Bears won't lose that game because he wasn't there.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:49 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I doubt Briggs gets a trade, but this very much ups the likelihood that Briggs is absolutely gone next season. It is unfortunate for him because of the amount of money being spent on older players (A Thomas), and he's missing out. There's no guarantee that there will be a bunch of teams with that much to spend next offseason...

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

bsaza2358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 09:54 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaza2358 View Post
I doubt Briggs gets a trade, but this very much ups the likelihood that Briggs is absolutely gone next season. It is unfortunate for him because of the amount of money being spent on older players (A Thomas), and he's missing out. There's no guarantee that there will be a bunch of teams with that much to spend next offseason...
He knows that with a weak LB crop in this draft, and a weak FA market with lots of money, he was gonna cash out big time if he wasn't franchised. Thats why he's so mad. He lost alot of money this offseason after he got the tag.

The only team I see crazy enough to make something happen is the Redskins. But they already have McIntosh, so I don't see it happening.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:55 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree with all that has been said. Briggs holds very little power in this situation. If he doesn't show up by the middle of training camp, he won't get paid.

That being said, I understand Briggs' complaints. He played out the remainder of his contract without complaint and with the market as such he wants to cash in and make the 20 million guaranteed that he would likely get. If he's not traded I fully expect him to miss most of training camp. I'll be the first to say now that I totally understand that as well. But for 7.2 million as opposed to nothing, he will eventually show up.

All this being said, expect Angelo to shop him around. He's always said that he doesn't want players on the team that don't want to be here but he's also not going to lose a great player for nothing. Angelo is a very smart GM, he'll do well for the Bears and hopefully Briggs can get what he wants too.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 09:56 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaza2358 View Post
IF they wanted to continue franchising him, I think they easily could.

Old 03-05-2007, 10:01 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

I will say this though, Briggs trying to play the respect card is a joke.

If you are franchised, you're respected.

If you're offered 6 years at 33 million during the season (AD got 7 years 35 million) you're respected.

I totally understand him wanted to get as much money as he can, but it's not like the Bears organization has given him nothing. That's still a hell of a lot of money.

Old 03-05-2007, 10:01 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
IF they wanted to continue franchising him, I think they easily could.
I agree he'll suck it up eventually and play. But two years in a row? I think Angelo should look long and hard to find a taker for Briggs, that way:

Briggs is happy, he'll get his gazillion dollar contract he wants (and deserves) and the bears are happy (they'll get a bunch of picks).

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
Old 03-05-2007, 10:36 AM    (permalink
HawkeyeFan
Rookie

HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Rams are prepared to offer a 2nd Round Pick and Jimmy Kennedy :)!

Seriously, IF he can play SAM I'd give a 1st.

The Cadillac Three - Tennessee Mojo
http://youtu.be/N41DdVedXCo
HawkeyeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 10:40 AM    (permalink
NYmoney
Veteran

NYmoney needs more cowbell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict View Post
I agree he'll suck it up eventually and play. But two years in a row? I think Angelo should look long and hard to find a taker for Briggs, that way:

Briggs is happy, he'll get his gazillion dollar contract he wants (and deserves) and the bears are happy (they'll get a bunch of picks).
I thought you could only franchise a player for one season, not two consecutive seasons.
NYmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 10:43 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYmoney View Post
I thought you could only franchise a player for one season, not two consecutive seasons.
Clements got tagged 2 years in a row. I think you can do it as long as you want, but teams never do that.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:50 AM    (permalink
jkb528
Rookie

jkb528 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Clements did not get tagged two years in a row.
jkb528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 11:02 AM    (permalink
rchrd
Veteran

rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Didnt the Pats franchise Vinatieri a few times?
Old 03-05-2007, 11:04 AM    (permalink
pellepelle_10
Veteran

pellepelle_10 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.pellepelle_10 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

No but Walter Jones from Seattle has. I want to say it was 3 years. Chicago should look at San Francisco as a possible bidder. They have a ton of money to burn and they need help at OLB. They were looking at paying Adalius Thomas a load of cash but NE beat them to it. I say lets snatch some draft picks from them and give them Briggs so he can be the new highest defensive player in the NFL next to Clements.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:13 AM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Clements got tagged 2 years in a row. I think you can do it as long as you want, but teams never do that.
You can do it as many times as you want. However, once you franchise him the third year, you must pay the player the average of the top five salaries in the league, not at his respected position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkb528
Clements did not get tagged two years in a row.
Yes, he did.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 11:15 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner View Post
You can do it as many times as you want. However, once you franchise him the third year, you must pay the player the average of the top five salaries in the league, not at his respected position.
Ouch. That really would suck though.

And Vinnatieri also got tagged twice.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC