Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-05-2007, 12:14 AM    (permalink
16_SFfan_80
Rookie

16_SFfan_80 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Lol, if you look at the entire picture, there are GUARDS getting $18 million guranteed, and therefore the $23 million guranteed for Nate Clements is actually a bargain. Considering that his deal actually boils down to something along the lines of a 6 year deal worth around $46 million, with the last two years simply so Nate can walk around and brag about getting $80 million to boost his ego.

Watch when D'Angelo Hall and Asante Samuel hit the market eventually and get 10 year deals for $100 million. It is bound to happen.

And the Michael Lewis signing for $10 million guranteed isn't too bad, considering that it's prorated over 6 years, and Nolan really loves Michael Lewis. He will return to Pro-Bowl form in our secondary, book it.

"I'm going for 2,200 (yards) next year," Gore said. "That's the record, isn't it? Yeah, I'll get that."
16_SFfan_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 12:25 AM    (permalink
cunningham06
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I seriously doubt he will return to pro bowl form. I expect him to improve his coverage from last season, but then again it's pretty hard to get worse than how he was playing last year in coverage.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:34 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 View Post
-If you wanted to have the last word and then lock the thread you should have just told me and I would have said my last piece and then let it rest. Here is my last post regarding the Davis contract.

I made my points known and have yet to hear a rebuttle other than...

"Well other teams have overpayed for guards (coughBills&Brownscough), why can't we?"

"Well he is all happy and jolly now because friends and family live in the state that the Cowboys home stadium resides in."

"He was a pro bowler at one time back when there was a ton of hype surrounding him and his massive size."

"The Cardinals let go of product-of-the-system Simeon Rice who turned out to be good, so Davis will be good too."

--I will certainly give you that G is a need for you guys but back to my initial point, that is not a position that needs to be thrown all that money. And IMO, your biggest need is at FS because you don't have anyone there that is good and your SS can't cover. But that is another debate.
Guard wasn't our number one overall need. Just that I felt it was our number one need that we could address in FA based off the players available. FS and NT are bigger needs imo, but I don't think the players available make any of them the #1 FA target for us. After Steinbach and Dielman were taken off the shelf Davis became the #1. The rest of the options out there only become more and more iffy.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 12:38 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Agreed. D-Unit you're such a little ***** about everything. If that gets me banned so be it. The only reason you're an admin anyway is because you're a suck up to Scott.
Oh come on.. You think that would get you banned? You're too much of an angel. I really couldn't care what you say... It's meaningless. I barely even know who you are. As for being a suck up to Scott? Yeah... whatever makes you feel like the tough guy.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 12:43 AM    (permalink
Xenos
Veteran

Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
Since when have the Chargers been consistently good?
Since AJ Smith became GM.
Xenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 12:48 AM    (permalink
Xenos
Veteran

Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChampIsHere View Post
yeah, players seem to be getting overpaid. But is anyone surprised?

What stands out to me is that Hutch, who was easily the best OG in the game, got a 49 mil contract last year which was unprecedented for a guard. The Hawks declined to match it it was so big. Now, they cant even bring in Steinbach, Dielman or Dockery for that price as Steinbach and Dielman got 49 mill deals elsewhere and Dielman got a 6 year deal with about the same average salary. The Hawks offered him about the same deal they declined to match with Hutch and he turned it down to stay in SD. And Dielman isnt close to being as good as Hutch.
Not yet anyways. But he's only 26 and constantly improving. Barring a major injury, I can see him as one of the top guards in the NFL. Heck, the guy has only been an olinmen for two years. He was a former tight end turned defensive lineman turned olineman. The fact that he was able to step up his game so much is a testament to his hard work ethic and talent.
I mean before 2006, LT had problems running in the fourth quarter against good defenses. Now we were able to run on them even when they were expecting it. As long as the line continues to gel, you'll finally see what LT can do behind a good oline that has the potential to rival the lines of KC and Seattle in their prime.
Xenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 02:02 AM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just realized that I'm really, really glad we re-signed Manuwai before free agency started.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 02:28 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner View Post
I just realized that I'm really, really glad we re-signed Manuwai before free agency started.
You should be. Manuwai is probably kicking himself in the head for that though.

On the other hand, if he learns to kick himself in the head, that should improve his agility a great deal.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 07:15 AM    (permalink
jackalope
Pro Bowler

jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

this is why i like Ted Thompson's approach to free agency. right now he's just sitting back and watching everyone overpay.

Sig thanks to mockalicious
jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 08:14 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
this is why i like Ted Thompson's approach to free agency. right now he's just sitting back and watching everyone overpay.
Except for that whole, giving Charles Woodson about 20 million more than anyone else was going to.

But yes, I like Thompson too.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 08:23 AM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner View Post
Wish I could say the same about Snee.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Number 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 12:38 PM    (permalink
TheGunShow
Rookie

TheGunShow hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver Bronco56 View Post
well champ still makes the most a year...he avrages 9 mill a year
And Nate Clements averages 10 million a year. Pretty simple math. 8 years 80 million dollars.
TheGunShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 12:39 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGunShow View Post
And Nate Clements averages 10 million a year. Pretty simple math. 8 years 80 million dollars.
Actually it's not nearly that simple, which is what a lot of people don't understand.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 12:45 PM    (permalink
frogstomp

Quote:
Agreed. D-Unit you're such a little ***** about everything. If that gets me banned so be it. The only reason you're an admin anyway is because you're a suck up to Scott.
Pfft, old news. You're too new and edgy to be posting stuff that people knew about day 1.

Anyways, regardless of overpaying people, I'll be mad if the Jets don't sign anyone.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:47 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogstomp View Post
Pfft, old news. You're too new and edgy to be posting stuff that people knew about day 1.

Anyways, regardless of overpaying people, I'll be mad if the Jets don't sign anyone.
Yeah, they have a ton of room. I'm surpised. If Samuel hit the open market I think he would have definately been a Jet.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:47 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If BF51 gets banned, then it is a case of when keeping it real goes wrong. Seriously though, I hope not.

The more money the NFL makes, the more "overpaid" players get. Seriously though, most people here have no concept of the salary cap. These players will be lucky to make 1/2 of what their "deals" say they will. Just like Arrington and Burelson last year. Neither of them will see any of the money they were slated to make.

Last edited by Shiver : 03-05-2007 at 12:53 PM.
Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 12:49 PM    (permalink
frogstomp

Quote:
Yeah, they have a ton of room. I'm surpised. If Samuel hit the open market I think he would have definately been a Jet.
Yeah. See, I'm glad we didn't sign Clements now, because he isn't worth it. However, Samuel would have rocked, even if we had to overpay him 2 million a year.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:50 PM    (permalink
frogstomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
If BF51 gets banned, then it is a case of when keeping it real goes wrong. Seriously though, I hope not.
He won't be banned. People who have been around as long as he has cannot get banned. Well, assuming they are moderately intelligent and know things about football.

Crap... he might get banned after all...
Old 03-05-2007, 12:51 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogstomp View Post
Yeah. See, I'm glad we didn't sign Clements now, because he isn't worth it. However, Samuel would have rocked, even if we had to overpay him 2 million a year.
well clements should start putting up some solid numbers, he'll be the nr.1 dback in SF, while in Buffalo he had to share that with McGee.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 12:53 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The more money the NFL makes, the more "overpaid" players get. Seriously though, most people here have no concept of the salary cap. These players will be lucky to make 1/2 of what their "deals" say they will. Just like Arrington and Burelson last year. Neither of them will see any of the money they were slated to make.
Arrington's contract was a whole lot different though. He didn't have close to 18 million in guaranteed money. I think he only had 5.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:55 PM    (permalink
TheGunShow
Rookie

TheGunShow hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Actually it's not nearly that simple, which is what a lot of people don't understand.
Are people ********?

Champ Bailey
63,000,000.00 divided by seven years equals 9,000,000.00 a season.

Nate Clements
80,000,000.00 divided by eight years equals 10,000,000.00 a season.

So if I'm wrong how this doesn't come out that Nate Clements is getting paid more on average let me know.

Last edited by TheGunShow : 03-05-2007 at 12:59 PM.
TheGunShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 12:56 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Arrington's contract was a whole lot different though. He didn't have close to 18 million in guaranteed money. I think he only had 5.
What I am saying is the unintelligent looked at the deal and thought the Giants gave him a big deal. I remember many a heated argument with some pesky Redskin fans who were laughing at the Giants.

Old 03-05-2007, 12:57 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGunShow View Post
Are people ********?

Champ Bailey
63,000,000.00 divided by seven years equals 9,000,000.00 a season.

Nate Clements
80,000,000.00 divided by eight years equalts 10,000,000.00 a season.

So if I'm wrong how this doesn't come out that Nate Clements is getting paid more on average let me know.

35$ Million of Nate Clements contract, he will NEVER see. He is going to get paid 45$ Million for six years, then as he turns 32 years old, he will be cut loose.

Old 03-05-2007, 12:59 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Quote:
What I am saying is the unintelligent looked at the deal and thought the Giants gave him a big deal. I remember many a heated argument with some pesky Redskin fans who were laughing at the Giants.
Yeah a lot of the bonus money was set in roster bonuses in future years he never reached. I'm not sure the way a lot of these contracts are set up but Davis for example says 18 million guaranteed. That means roster bonuses aren't part of that 18 million. That is a whole lot to give and mediocre player no matter what the market value is set at.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:01 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Shiver and BF51, you're wasting your time. People here don't understand the salary cap. People have been trying to explain this **** all weekend, and they still don't get it. They don't want to get it, for whatever reason.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote