12-07-2009, 01:47 PM
Join Date: Feb 2008
My points after the Titans game
So far, as of game 12, these are the positives and negatives that I like about the state of the Colts:
- Top of the list is our running game - it is improving game by game and if we meet the Chargers again, which I think we will do, it will be the running game that will win it for us.
- Garcon is holding on to hot read / quick slant passes, that is a big HUGE improvement that will serve us well against blitzing teams in the playoffs. Garcon's upside is scary for other teams. Manning just loves any WR lined up on his right, huh?
- Our run D and goal line stands, it is easier to throw for a TD against this Colts D than to punch it in from close, IMO. But let us not get that secret out.
- League leading 51% 3rd down O
- We don't make too many mistakes to beat ourselves, and that has been a sign of a well coached team there, props to Caldwell.
- Now, Alex Smith and Vince Young have had a 2 minute drill at the end of a half to march their teams down for a TD. I flat out do not like that. A good passing team that can stop our O just enough does not have drops like Nate Washington did and will make us pay for it. Let us not forget Alex Smith and the 49ers went back to their huddled offense in the second half and I wondered why they did not do the shotgun more often. Brady went shotgun a lot and put up 34 on us.
- I still have issues with Jacob Lacey on slants, the more the wideouts, the more Lacey will be tested and more the film teams will have on those slants.
- Once in the Seahawks game, once in the Titans game, we have lost 2 onside kick recoveries. At some point, a team trying to mount a comeback, instead of kicking it off, will go for an onside kick maybe right after a half and it might lead to a change in momentum in a close playoff game.
- 3rd down D is still not at an acceptable level. I will take 40% over 50% any day but hovering around 50% is not going to cut it in close games.