Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-05-2007, 05:55 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Joe View Post
This is a very good trade. The point value between 37 and 63 was about the value of a mid 3rd rounder, correct? Thomas Jones' value was at about a 3rd round pick, IMO.

Also, with Briggs likely to be traded, where the Bears would get an early first day pick likely, the Bears could end up with 3 picks in the 20-30's.
I'd say there is a 30% chance at best that Briggs will get traded. Don't be fooled by today's comments. He'll likely skip all of training camp and show up and make his money.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 05:57 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There IS always a chance that Briggs pulls a McCardell in Tampa so you never really know. I like this trade for both teams except one thing that bothers me is I'm not sure about Cedric Benson being the fulltime back. I mean, that was his calling card at UT but so far in the league he's had his case of the injuries.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 05:59 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

very nice. I know i am probably alone in this one, but i actually hated playing Jones Twice a year and i am actually really glad it will be Benson and not him. I really think the Jets got the better end of this one.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 06:03 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitleTown088 View Post
very nice. I know i am probably alone in this one, but i actually hated playing Jones Twice a year and i am actually really glad it will be Benson and not him. I really think the Jets got the better end of this one.
The Bears got the value of a very high 3rd for a 28 year old runningback that would have left the team after this year. I'm not saying the Jets got a bad deal because Jones is a great player, but this is a great trade for the Bears.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 06:08 PM    (permalink
The Dynasty
Pro Bowler

The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Im glad to see him out of the North. I Can deal with a pounding running back but Thomas' speed killed us.

Vikings | Yankees | Magic | Sabres | Chelsea FC | Alabama | St. Bonaventure
The Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 06:11 PM    (permalink
SFbear
Veteran

SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thomas Jones will be missed. He was a great veteran prescence and a consistent producer even when our passing game was nonexistent. In an ideal world we never would have drafted Benson in the first place, but we did so let the Cedric Benson era begin. We got good value in the trade and Jones gets a starring role in a young up and coming team. Bears and Jets should be very happy with the trade.
SFbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 06:11 PM    (permalink
Vilma the Animal
Veteran

Vilma the Animal hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
The Bears got the value of a very high 3rd for a 28 year old runningback that would have left the team after this year. I'm not saying the Jets got a bad deal because Jones is a great player, but this is a great trade for the Bears.
Well I'm also ecstatic, along with every other Jets fan I've talked to, so I guess if both teams fans are very happy its a win win. Great trade for both teams!

DChess...youre the man!
Vilma the Animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 06:17 PM    (permalink
TNewFan41
Veteran

TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.

Nice pick up for the Jets. Seeing that the Bears pretty much had to trade Jones, it is a good trade for them too, practically picking up another 1st rounder.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:19 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
For the future it is, but I predict this will effect their offense immensly next year.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 06:20 PM    (permalink
Gridiron
Rookie

Gridiron hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

It's a great deal for both teams, IMO.
Gridiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 06:22 PM    (permalink
Zim3031
Pro Bowler

Zim3031 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I originally hated the idea of trading a first day pick for a runningback with so much mileage, but we're really only moving down a little bit. It gets my approval.
Zim3031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 06:27 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jerry Angelo is GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A 2nd Round pick for him? Are you freaking kidding me, awesome trade, whoooaodhahoighoiahgohaoghoah!!!!

I'm so happy right now. I love TJ but a 2nd rounder, come on now.:D:D:D:D

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.
sweetness34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 06:27 PM    (permalink
ChiFan24
2011 SWDC Mock Draft Champ
Pro Bowler

ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFbear View Post
Thomas Jones will be missed. He was a great veteran prescence and a consistent producer even when our passing game was nonexistent. In an ideal world we never would have drafted Benson in the first place, but we did so let the Cedric Benson era begin. We got good value in the trade and Jones gets a starring role in a young up and coming team. Bears and Jets should be very happy with the trade.
How is it ideal to not have Benson? He's going to be a great back.
ChiFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 06:28 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Eh, the Jets got the wrong Jones brother.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 06:29 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oh and we gave up our 2nd Rounder too...Eh, I still really like the trade. I thought we got him straight up though, haha.

Quote:
Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:31 PM    (permalink
nyjets5125
Rookie

nyjets5125 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubby View Post
The jets love RB's, dont they?
if you're saying that they have many RB's.....they had 5 RB's on the roster goign into this offseason, Curtis Martin, Leon Washington, Cedric Houston, Kevan Barlow, and Derrick Blaylock....they cut barlow and blaylock.....curtis is likely to retire.....giving them leon and cedric, who are clearly not a great backfield....now with thomas jones, they have jones as the primary back, leon as a 3rd-down back and a change of pace RB due to his great speed, and cedric as an additional power back who would probably be a good back if he could stay healthy
Old 03-05-2007, 06:31 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Groovy. Jones will be the primary back in New York (which he deserves to be) and we dealt with one minor distraction. Plus we don't play the Jets for another 3 years so he won't be around to bother us.

I've been calling either Baltimore or New York for quite a while now for what it counts.
*Jotting note down in the NFLDC record books...bearsfan_51 can predict the future* :D
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 06:32 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Heck of a trade for both sides. The Jets got a guy who can step in right now and has the mileage to likely maintain a high level of play for 3-4 years. The Bears got as good a value as could have been possible (early-mid 3rd, depending on the chart used). I'll miss Thomas, and I hope and pray that Benson is anywhere as good as Bears fans and Angelo/organization think. He really needs to stay in Chicago this offseason and learn the intricacies of being a pro back.

What will the Bears do with the picks now? I'd still look TE/WR (only one ...) or LB as the top of the list. It'll somewhat depend on how this Lance Briggs thing turns out. I'd look at S/OL next after that.

Jets get a guy who steps in right away, and they still have 2 2nd rounders. Sure, they drop a bit, but the value is fairly balanced from late 1st-3rd that they potentially don't lose out on that much.
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 06:33 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If you ask me, Chicago got a bad deal. They lost their starting RB to move up what, 20 spots in this year's draft. I know Jones wanted out, but seriously, they must have been desperate to get rid of him. Oh well, one less team to scoop up Brian Leonard in the second.

Rest in Peace, themaninblack
eaglesalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 06:33 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

Quote:
Knowing Angelo they'll probably trade down with one of those picks for more picks anyway.
I'd trade the #31 for a 2nd and a 4th.

Quote:
Old 03-05-2007, 06:34 PM    (permalink
Jonathan_VIlma
Pro Bowler

Jonathan_VIlma hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanSaint View Post
vilma for the saints 2nd rounder and some day two picks , i would agree
I'm assuming you mean that, and your next two drafts as well, right?

I like the trade, I think Thomas Jones is going to be a nice back in aiding us to win, while we find out if Leon will ever be a feature back.

Assuming that we sign David Bowens/Kenyon Coleman to replace or aid Kimo at defensive end, the only thing we're looking at in the draft right now is a offensive tackle OR guard, and a 3-4 linebacker. That of course is with three picks within the top 70 now.

Designs by Thule
Jonathan_VIlma is offline   Reply With Quote
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesalltheway View Post
If you ask me, Chicago got a bad deal. They lost their starting RB to move up what, 20 spots in this year's draft. I know Jones wanted out, but seriously, they must have been desperate to get rid of him. Oh well, one less team to scoop up Brian Leonard in the second.
I am gonna have to agree. It seems like Chicago might have preferred to just acquire a pick straight up for him. Instead of simply upgrading their pick.
sweetness34
Icon

Quote:
How is this a bad deal for the Bears? The point value is good, and with the pick we have from the Jets, we basically have another 1st Rounder (5th pick in the 2nd Round). I've been calling for Ced to be the man all year long and now he's that chance.

It's a great trade for both sides.

Quote:
Old 03-05-2007, 06:36 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
From Angelo's perspective (not that I agree), the idea is to remove distractions and help solidify chemistry within the team to make a run (the problem with that thinking is trading Jones and having issues with Briggs isn't going to play well with the veterans in the locker room). Jones was leaving after next year anyways. And Angelo does have an ego and probably was partially motivated on account for wanting to get his guy in there in Benson.
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 06:38 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So can we expect to see Adrian Peterson backing up Benson? or will they look to acquire a veteran in free agency?