Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 12-10-2009, 09:06 AM    (permalink
Ozzy
Pro Bowler

Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Notre Dame should go with defense.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4728474

I think coach Edsall would be a great hire for them. He is not the pretty pick, most would like Kelly but what does Notre Dame need another offensive mind for? They already had one, and see where it got them.

They need to get back to the basics and develop that defense and the teams overall toughness.

Edsall has consistently had a solid defense at UCONN and always has had a tough running game as well, but by far it is the defense that carries his teams.

Look at the four teams in the SEC and Big 12 championship games. They have all arguably the top four defenses in college football. And Nebraska proved this year that a great defense can win games, even if the offense is below average.

Kelly sure can recruit but he has never been a defensive guy. Both are good hires but Edsall makes more sense to me at this point. Kelly is basically just like Weis, and that is not the problem at Notre Dame. I doubt it happens however because it is not a flashy hire at all.

Too bad for Notre Dame there is no John Calipari in college football who just by coming to a school can get three of the top 10 high school prospects all to come to Notre Dame and they are ranked preseason top five...haha
Old 12-10-2009, 11:31 AM    (permalink
DeathbyStat
Pro Bowler

DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I Think Kelly is the best all around coach out there, but he is more of an offensive guy and the largest problem at was ND has been the horrendous offense.

Plus Kelly's never had to deal with the academic standards at ND. Jim Harbaugh would be the best choice because he knows how to win at a place with high academic standards

Thank you Lebron James, you are truly a King Among Men.

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

I remember Marshawn Lynch
DeathbyStat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:39 AM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I believe Kelly was a Defensive Coordinator in the past, so he knows plenty about that side of the ball as well.

I don't really think he's the sexy coach either. I think he's the 4th option behind the likes of Meyer, Stoops, and Harbaugh.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:49 AM    (permalink
Ozzy
Pro Bowler

Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Brian Kelly was the defensive coordinator of Grand Valley State University. In my book that does not really make him a defensive guy.

Quote:
I think he's the 4th option behind the likes of Meyer, Stoops, and Harbaugh.
Well that makes him the #1 option because Meyer, Stoops and Harbaugh are going no where, or at least that is what they all have said.

Some names that most do not talk about but guys who I think would fit the Notre Dame job and do well.

Les Miles: LSU
Paul Johnson: Georgia Tech
Mark Dantonio: Michigan State

None of these guys really give them the bang they want however and at least two of them are probably not even interested.

And the Jon Gruden thing, it would be a fun hire but I heard someone say they are not sure he is a college type of coach, and I think that is probably true. Who would not like that hire however.

I still think Edsall would be a wonderful hire for them.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:12 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
Brian Kelly was the defensive coordinator of Grand Valley State University. In my book that does not really make him a defensive guy.

Well that makes him the #1 option because Meyer, Stoops and Harbaugh are going no where, or at least that is what they all have said.

Some names that most do not talk about but guys who I think would fit the Notre Dame job and do well.

Les Miles: LSU
Paul Johnson: Georgia Tech
Mark Dantonio: Michigan State

None of these guys really give them the bang they want however and at least two of them are probably not even interested.

And the Jon Gruden thing, it would be a fun hire but I heard someone say they are not sure he is a college type of coach, and I think that is probably true. Who would not like that hire however.

I still think Edsall would be a wonderful hire for them.
I agree. I don't think Gruden is a college coach at all. He's an NFL junkie.

I know Harbaugh said he would stay, but I think he said that only because it's Notre Dame. If Michigan fired Rich Rodriguez, I think Harbaugh would jump at it. He's the perfect guy for them, imo.

I think Kelly is the right guy for ND. He's got the Irish name and all. You could put him in a leprechaun outfit and nobody would think twice. lol.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:15 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathbyStat View Post
I Think Kelly is the best all around coach out there, but he is more of an offensive guy and the largest problem at was ND has been the horrendous offense.
Wait, what?
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:41 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
Wait, what?
I'm hoping he means horrendous defense.

Then again, this would be the 2nd time in a week in which I've seen someone say ND's offense was terrible because they lost 6 games, so idk.

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:05 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The type of kids Caliapri recruits would never get into ND.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:21 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
The type of kids Caliapri recruits would never get into ND.
There was a time when they wouldnt have got into Kentucky either.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:24 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think whoever takes the ND job is in for a long overhaul period. Many of the athletes recruited by Weis will likely either declare for the draft or transfer to another school. Many committed to ND to play for Weis and will leave with him.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:30 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
There was a time when they wouldnt have got into Kentucky either.
I don't think so. Back in the 70's or 80's I forget exactly when, an envelope addressed from the U of K to a major basketbasll recruit broke open on transit and was full of money. Kentucky like a lot of successful colleges pay their players under the table one way or another.
Caliapri is just following the usual practice at most major competitive schools.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:19 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
I don't think so. Back in the 70's or 80's I forget exactly when, an envelope addressed from the U of K to a major basketbasll recruit broke open on transit and was full of money. Kentucky like a lot of successful colleges pay their players under the table one way or another.
Caliapri is just following the usual practice at most major competitive schools.
You missed my attempt at some irony there. More having to do with Adolph Rupp if you will.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:23 PM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I doubt it, thusfar the only guy rumoured to transfer has already said he wouldnt

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
- No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
- Corner or Wideout in the first
- No reaching
- No Kelvin Benjamin
wicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:04 PM    (permalink
superman8456
Veteran

superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wish ND went after Charlie Strong.
superman8456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:08 PM    (permalink
soybean
All-Pro

soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I think whoever takes the ND job is in for a long overhaul period. Many of the athletes recruited by Weis will likely either declare for the draft or transfer to another school. Many committed to ND to play for Weis and will leave with him.
please please please Manti Teo go on your mission and come back a trojan.
soybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:04 AM    (permalink
Ozzy
Pro Bowler

So Brian Kelly is the coach at Notre Dame. Will be interesting to see how it turns out, I doubt it turns out that well. Hope it does however, college football always needs Notre Dame to be successful.

If you are talking big names, no way Kelly is a bigger name or a bigger sell to recruits than Weis was. And again with the offense, that is not the issue here, overall team toughness on defense is the issue.

What about Turner Gill, he is more respectable in a way than Kelly, and more talented as a leader and a coach figure. Plus he looks like the janitor from Rudy.

Seriously though, we will see what happens, wonder if Kelly did most of the recruiting at Cincinnati, because at least he can find good players on that side of the ball, mostly Walter Stewart, if he gets some kids like that at Notre Dame they should be fine.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:11 AM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am just really curious what kind of staff he brings in, early rumours would lead to a very mid-west staff which wouldnt make me happy, if you want a national recruitingbase you cant have a regional staff imo.

However his recruiting pitch is so easy:
Look what I did at Cincy with that talent, think what I can do with a couple of blue-chippers like you (with you being the possible recruit)

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
- No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
- Corner or Wideout in the first
- No reaching
- No Kelvin Benjamin
wicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:41 AM    (permalink
dabears10
All-Pro

dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
I am just really curious what kind of staff he brings in, early rumours would lead to a very mid-west staff which wouldnt make me happy, if you want a national recruitingbase you cant have a regional staff imo.

However his recruiting pitch is so easy:
Look what I did at Cincy with that talent, think what I can do with a couple of blue-chippers like you (with you being the possible recruit)
The biggest loss in my opinion in is Rob Ianello. Ianello was a great recruiter at Notre Dame and was a factor in most of the big recruits and now he will be coaching at Akron. If Kelly can make a big dent in Chicago, Ohio, and get a few guys from California and Florida he would be great.

Thanks to BoneKrusher Credit and Rep to him for the sig.

dabears10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 05:05 PM    (permalink
Ozzy
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Cincy has talent, let us be serious here, Armon Binns is a real star, Gilyard is one of the best receivers in the country and guys like Collaros come off the bench as a backup, then you have Walter Stewart one of the most impressive freshman on defense I have seen all season long. They have talent, they do not get to BCS games because of all coaching, they have players. If you take into consideration both sides of the ball, they probably have more talent than Notre Dame does this year. Sure Notre Dame had offense players but defense was just flat out pathetic and not very deep or talented at all, then defensive line and safeties were a joke.