Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > St. Louis Rams Team Forum

St. Louis Rams Team Forum Discuss the Rams

Old 12-05-2009, 11:00 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anyone watch Suh tonight? Holy **** the dude is a beast.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:05 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cards need to throw our game vs you so that you don't get Suh

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:40 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
Cards need to throw our game vs you so that you don't get Suh
How dare you sir.

Don't worry about it, I'm sure the Rams will find some way of screwing up there pick. Probably draft Sam Bradford with the 1st overall pick, then his arm will fall off.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:09 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I know Suh is great and all, but I just cant see you guys sticking with Bulger or Boller. Maybe you trade for a QB or sign one?(Brady Quinn? Jason Campbell?) but if Locker or Clausen declare you guys should take one.

Welcome to the Silver & Mack
"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707
Winston > Mariota

RaiderNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:45 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderNation View Post
I know Suh is great and all, but I just cant see you guys sticking with Bulger or Boller. Maybe you trade for a QB or sign one?(Brady Quinn? Jason Campbell?) but if Locker or Clausen declare you guys should take one.
I like Locker, or Pike in the 2nd.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:26 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderNation View Post
The Rams need to make their evaluations and stick true to their board. If Suh is available and is the best player on the board, how can the Rams pass? Their personnel @ DT is hardly good by any stretch, and reaching down the board for a quarterback just because you need one is a recipe for disaster.

If Locker or Clausen or Bradford grade out to be one of the best players in this draft and one of the best players available when the Rams are on the clock, then by all means, consider them. But right now, it's hard for me to put any of them above Suh, and with the Rams likely selecting in the top two or three, I think there's a good chance Suh is there. Taking Suh doesn't mean the Rams can't also take a QB in another round to groom.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:35 PM    (permalink
KCJ58
Icon

KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i say the Rams would be stupid to pass on Ndamukong Suh is he's available while we are on the clock, I'd much rather look at 2nd round to see what is there if not then give Bulger one more final season and let's see if he can do anything. I don't want to take a QB with a top 3 pick in 2010

KCJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 06:30 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Peter King was just on NBC Football Night in America talking about the Rams or Bucs with the first overall pick, and said that a survey he conducted around the league revealed that Nebraska DT Ndamukong Suh was considered by many to be the most highly regarded or sought after (sorry, can't recall which specific phrase) defensive prospect in the last decade. King said he spoke with GMs of both the Browns and the Rams, whom both told him that Suh would "probably" be at the top of their draft boards, though that didn't necessary mean he'd be their pick.

As always, take it for what it's worth. Just passing along what was said.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:24 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Well forget about drafting Jake Locker this year. He's going back to school for his senior year.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:12 PM    (permalink
tfry
Rookie

tfry hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

If Suh is there we have to take him. With a defensive minded coach that won a Super Bowl because of his defensive line, I don't see how we can overlook Suh.

There are several second tier QBs in the draft we can look at. McCoy, Pike, Mallett, Canfield, etc. that wouldn't be bad options in my opinion. Not only do we need a starter, but we also need a backup so a 2nd or 3rd round QB isn't a terrible pick.

I'd like to see the Rams address the defensive line, receiver, and QB positions with our first three picks. It doesn't matter which order the draft these players, but I think these are the most pressing issues.

I'm just throwing this out there, but what about signing Vick to a one year contract? He's a great QB for the west coast offense and has talent. I don't like the baggage, but he seems to have learned his lesson. A one year contract would give us a ton of flexability in the draft too!
tfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:06 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfry View Post
I'm just throwing this out there, but what about signing Vick to a one year contract? He's a great QB for the west coast offense and has talent. I don't like the baggage, but he seems to have learned his lesson. A one year contract would give us a ton of flexability in the draft too!
Not a fan at all, and I'd disagree that he's a great WCO fit.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:28 PM    (permalink
freebirdsrams02
Veteran

freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rams lose, Tampa Bay wins, we are now the #1 pick. Two weeks left.

Sig made by Falcon from E Oakland

"Spread'em and Shread'em"
freebirdsrams02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:51 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebirdsrams02 View Post
Rams lose, Tampa Bay wins, we are now the #1 pick. Two weeks left.
Pretty sure we've been the #1 pick for a couple of weeks now, though most of the member mocks on this site still had Tampa picking first. Probably so they could give him Suh and then give the Rams a QB.

With the Rams unquestionably picking first now (barring a second win), be prepared to see an influx of mocks projecting the Rams passing on guys like Suh to take quarterbacks simply because "it's time," regardless of whether or not the guy is the best talent.

Frankly, I think it's going to take a lot during the bowl games and the offseason to make me think someone other than Suh makes sense with the first pick.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:06 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Is there any doubt the Rams will go Suh? I mean I know it's the NFL draft and it's the Rams, But he's CLEARLY the best player in the draft. Do you guys think since he played a 3-technique at Nebraska that would scare the Rams off? because he would be playing a 1-gap Technique with the Rams, might be a waste of his true talent.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:56 AM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
Is there any doubt the Rams will go Suh? I mean I know it's the NFL draft and it's the Rams, But he's CLEARLY the best player in the draft. Do you guys think since he played a 3-technique at Nebraska that would scare the Rams off? because he would be playing a 1-gap Technique with the Rams, might be a waste of his true talent.
Pretty sure a three-technique tackle is a one-gap player, and I think that fits what Suh does pretty well.

At this point, I really think it's tough to argue someone else other than Suh. The "it's time" QB argument is pretty weak, IMO. Whether it's time or not, you evaluate the players and if someone stands out above the rest (ie. Suh), you take him. Take away a specific team making the pick, and is anyone going to argue one of these QBs over Suh in this class? Really?

Outside fans or mock-makers will argue that the Rams passing on guys like Ryan and Sanchez have contributed to them being one of the worst teams in football the last few years. I'd argue that they'll remain one of the worst teams in football if they pass on better talent because they feel pressured to take a QB.

If the Rams somehow get the #2 pick and Suh is off the board, then I think QB is much more possible (I say that to emphasize that this isn't a case of just being afraid to take a high 1st round QB). But right now, I just don't see how you pass on Suh to take Clausen or Bradford.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:16 AM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Post-game chat with Jeff Gordon following the Rams' loss to the Texans...

Quote:
Faulk4HOF: Jeff
I know this heresy for this forums but with all the hype for Suh as the #1 can you see the Rams trading that pick down for more picks?

Jeff Gordon: It is hard to trade down these days -- and Suh is widely hailed as a leg[it] first overall pick. Barring an injury to Suh, he appears to be their logical choice.
http://www.stltoday.com/discussions/...D121809970/all

The opinions of a sportswriter may not count for much to some, but I think it demonstrates the prevailing opinion about the Rams and the draft by people who follow or cheer for the team.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:26 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Ok Since everyone seems to agree Ndamukong Suh should be the Rams 1st round selection, next Question......Who in Round 2?

My pick would definitely be Sean Weatherspoon if he's there, but wondering who you guys are looking at with that pick.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:26 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

There are plenty of strong second round options; the Rams could go any number of ways. Weatherspoon could certainly be an option. The Rams could use an upgrade at either OLB position. I'd like to think that Colt McCoy could be there, and I think there's a decent chance that a pretty good receiver is still on the board (maybe a Benn, Williams, Thomas). Maybe a DB like Donovan Warren is still on the board there, though I think there are some late 1st round teams that would consider him.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:50 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm seeing a lot of mock drafts with the Rams taking either Clausen or Bradford, and I really hope that doesn't happen. I know we need a real QB in a big way, but neither one of them is the guy. It it were Locker I would be more inclined to lean that way, but I'm not sold on Bradford's ability to stay healthy or Clausen's ability to lead a team.

What's influencing my thought even more is the play of Ndamakong Suh, the fabulous DT from Nebraska. I had heard a lot about him but didn't realize what people were saying until I saw him play a couple of times this year. He is as strong as most offensive linemen and runs like a linebacker. He appears to be technically sound and has that non-stop motor that is so hard to come by in defensive linemen. His pass-rushing skills are excellent for an interior defender. He's like Albert Haynesworth and Patrick Willis rolled into one.
stlouisfan37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:50 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A couple of small school guys that I will be looking at are WR Jeremy Williams from Tulane and QB Dan Lefevour from Central Michigan.

Lefevour is especially intriguing. He is big (6'4", 240), has a great arm, and is a very elusive runner for a big qb with nearly 3,000 rushing yards in four seasons as a starter. He is very accurate, with a 71% completion percentage as a senior and has improved in this area every year. He has been highly productive, with over 12,000 yards and 101 touchdowns (to only 35 interceptions). CMU has built a strong program, going 37-17 in his tenure, and he is used to winning. This guy would be a steal in the round 3 or 4, but I think his stock will rise in pre-draft workouts.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:02 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisfan37 View Post
I'm seeing a lot of mock drafts with the Rams taking either Clausen or Bradford, and I really hope that doesn't happen. I know we need a real QB in a big way, but neither one of them is the guy. It it were Locker I would be more inclined to lean that way, but I'm not sold on Bradford's ability to stay healthy or Clausen's ability to lead a team.

What's influencing my thought even more is the play of Ndamakong Suh, the fabulous DT from Nebraska. I had heard a lot about him but didn't realize what people were saying until I saw him play a couple of times this year. He is as strong as most offensive linemen and runs like a linebacker. He appears to be technically sound and has that non-stop motor that is so hard to come by in defensive linemen. His pass-rushing skills are excellent for an interior defender. He's like Albert Haynesworth and Patrick Willis rolled into one.
If we did take a Quarterback in the 1st, Bradford would be the only one I would want.
Old 12-25-2009, 09:55 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

Anyone see SMU yesterday? While he plays a bit reckless, WR Emmanuel Sanders is definitely quick and super athletic. Could be a steal in the late rounds.
Old 12-25-2009, 10:12 PM    (permalink
sdobbers
Rookie

sdobbers hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

As I just mentioned somewhere else, I think this would be a pretty solid first two rounds of the draft:

Round 1: Jimmy Clausen, QB, Notre Dame
We really need a franchise quarterback, and right now Clausen is probably the best QB in the draft. He has already played in a pro offense, and has leadership qualities. I know a lot of people won't like this choice, cause they'd rather have Suh (who I admit I would LOVE to have), but this is the right choice for us.
Round 2: Mike Iupati, G, Idaho
Now that we went out and got our quarterback of the future, it's time to make sure he's protected. Last year we drafted Smith, and assuming he can finally get over his concussions he should be a solid starting tackle with either Barron or Goldberg at the other tackle position. Then we already have our center solidified in Jason Brown. However, now that Incognito left, our guards are down to Bell, Greco and Setterstrom.

Possible future line:
LT: Jason Smith (if he recovers, and proves himself in camp he could swing to LT)
LG: Jacob Bell
C: Jason Brown
RG: Mike Iupati (plays LG in college, but could have him play RG?)
RT: Barron/Goldberg

Last edited by sdobbers : 12-25-2009 at 10:15 PM.
sdobbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 03:03 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

I will be sadly disappointed if we pass on Suh.

I've been watching the Marshall-Ohio game today. Marshall has a LB named Mario Harvey that looks very impressive. 6'0" and 240 and he brings the wood.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:23 AM    (permalink
tfry
Rookie

tfry hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Well, with the Bucs beating the Saints we are officially the #1 pick!!! With the way teams have been able to negotiate smaller contracts prior to the draft, I think this is a big plus.

Regarding the pick - I really don't see us passing on Suh. He is the perfect pick in my opinion. My perfect draft:

Rd 1 - Suh
Rd 2 - Colt McCoy
Rd 3 - Denario Alexander
tfry is offline   Reply With Quote