Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-05-2007, 07:49 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Very good trade for both teams. I think Jones will be a very effective back in New York.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 07:53 PM    (permalink
Man_Of_Steel
Pro Bowler

Man_Of_Steel hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Great deal for the Jets. Benson betterr be able to carry the load.
Man_Of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 07:54 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

On a side note, Jones holds the records for most yards in a playoff game, which he set this year against the Saints. Kinda odd that he's leaving with a record for a runningback considering the pedigree that this team has at the position historically.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 08:44 PM    (permalink
locseti
Veteran

locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is a steal for the Jets! Did Thomas Jones want out?
locseti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 09:27 PM    (permalink
frogstomp

Excellent. Now we don't need Leonard, because he sorta worried me. Good trade!
Old 03-05-2007, 09:41 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

Solid trade for both sides.

Jets get an every down back to pair up with the up and coming Leon Washington. Jones is what they need in the sense that he can grind it out for 25 carries a game and stil be effective late in games to play the style of football Mangini wants. If they continue to build that O-line with say a Blalock, Grubbs, or Sears....Jones could have a HUGE year.

Bears are catching on that the picks after #40 are not that valuable because the depth in this draft is weak. I love seeing this because I have been bashed for saying this draft is weak overall but here I am watching 3 of the best drafting teams in the NFL (Pats, Bears, Broncos) strengthining my point. They will get two more very solid players with 31 and 37 and if they decided to stay with defense, I could easily see Timmons and Nelson in Chicago which is downright scary if you think about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Number 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 09:48 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't really see how the value of the 67th pick is a steal when the Hawks and Cards couldn't get a 2nd for Edge or Alexander. It's a fine trade for the Jets, but a steal it is not.

Old 03-05-2007, 09:50 PM    (permalink
Hurricane Ditka
Team Leader
All-Pro

Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
I don't really see how the value of the 67th pick is a steal when the Hawks and Cards couldn't get a 2nd for Edge or Alexander. It's a fine trade for the Jets, but a steal it is not.

For the reasons you've given it's a steal for the Bears.

sig by VLS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Joe View Post
I don't care...
Hurricane Ditka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 10:05 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetness34 View Post
Mark Bradley could be that complimenting WR if he can get back to 100%
i agree completely, and davis could be a great #3 wr for them, which is why i think olsen would be a great pick if he was still there...

bradley has shown more then enough potential, but he hasnt been able to stay on the field, i think he could be approaching a breakout year...ive seen alot of him from college and he's a huge playmaker, he still hasnt reached his full potential so i dont see why the bears would want to go WR so early

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 10:19 PM    (permalink
jetsfan3
All-Pro

jetsfan3 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Very good news for the Jets, a proven every-down back is exactly what we need.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:28 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Olsen isn't a tight end. At least not in the Bears offense. He's way too thin. IF they draft Olsen (which he won't fall to 31 anyway and they won't trade up for him) they would have to completely reinvent their offense. It won't happen.

Old 03-05-2007, 10:44 PM    (permalink
Gribble
Pro Bowler

Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't like this trade for the Bears. The owners seem to be setting a precedent that they don't want to pay pivotal players on the team, tying this in with the Briggs situation (trade me or else). Another issue is that they already got to the Super Bowl last year. Who's gonna make a bigger difference, Jones or a rookie like Dwayne Jarrett or Greg Olsen? This team's goals seem to be out of whack in that they are contenders to win the NFC every year and now want to change the makeup of their offense from an elite two back system into a shaky one back contingent. This move could be like the Seahawks loss of Steve Hutchinson last year in that it really affects the offense and may cost them a game or two.

For the Jets, it's a no-brainer in that they still have a 2 2nd rounders and now have a stud RB. This team is really on the rise and with the Bills looking to shop McGahee and a possible rookie QB in Miami they could sneak into the playoffs again.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:57 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i like it. i've thought Thomas Jones was a solid back for a long time, and i don't have one objection to him coming to the Jets. solid pickup. plus, now its the end of that "rumor" of Vilma to the Jets, thank goodness

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 11:14 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
I don't like this trade for the Bears. The owners seem to be setting a precedent that they don't want to pay pivotal players on the team, tying this in with the Briggs situation (trade me or else). Another issue is that they already got to the Super Bowl last year. Who's gonna make a bigger difference, Jones or a rookie like Dwayne Jarrett or Greg Olsen? This team's goals seem to be out of whack in that they are contenders to win the NFC every year and now want to change the makeup of their offense from an elite two back system into a shaky one back contingent. This move could be like the Seahawks loss of Steve Hutchinson last year in that it really affects the offense and may cost them a game or two.

For the Jets, it's a no-brainer in that they still have a 2 2nd rounders and now have a stud RB. This team is really on the rise and with the Bills looking to shop McGahee and a possible rookie QB in Miami they could sneak into the playoffs again.
This move has nothing at all to do with money. They drafted Benson at #4, he's going into his third year, they're going to start him.

As for your other comments, the smart teams are the ones that plan for the long-term. The Pats and Eagles let players come and go all the time, they seem to do okay for themselves.

Old 03-05-2007, 11:20 PM    (permalink
Hurricane Ditka
Team Leader
All-Pro

Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Olsen isn't a tight end. At least not in the Bears offense. He's way too thin. IF they draft Olsen (which he won't fall to 31 anyway and they won't trade up for him) they would have to completely reinvent their offense. It won't happen.
I have to agree, of the top 2 Miller fits the Bears offense more than Olsen does.

sig by VLS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Joe View Post
I don't care...
Hurricane Ditka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 11:29 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good trade for the Bears. Benson should have few troubles carrying the load and has looked good in limited appearances, and the Bears now have a higher pick in round 2 to grab a better player.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 11:37 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Severe Punishment hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

The jets get the better end of the deal in my opinion.
Thomas Jones still has roughly 4 solid years left..and will be a 1100 yard rusher behind that young O-Line. Pennington is vastly under reated and if he
can stay healthy the jets are in very good position to be a wild card.

The Bears get an unproven prospect and are now forced to play Benson whether he's ready or not. Personally I was never that high on him and thought he wasn't the kind of RB the Bears needed. They lost a team guy in Jones...and it's going to hurt them.
Severe Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 11:48 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severe Punishment View Post
The jets get the better end of the deal in my opinion.
Thomas Jones still has roughly 4 solid years left..and will be a 1100 yard rusher behind that young O-Line. Pennington is vastly under reated and if he
can stay healthy the jets are in very good position to be a wild card.

The Bears get an unproven prospect and are now forced to play Benson whether he's ready or not. Personally I was never that high on him and thought he wasn't the kind of RB the Bears needed. They lost a team guy in Jones...and it's going to hurt them.
Jones only would have been with the team for one more year anyway.

And all draft picks are unproven. You would take any player that has produced over a draft pick? As for being "forced" to play Benson, he would have started this year regardless. It's his third year in the league, if he's not ready now he never will be.

Last edited by bearsfan_51 : 03-05-2007 at 11:52 PM.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:10 AM    (permalink
Non_Sequitur
Veteran

Non_Sequitur hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

It's a fair deal, and that's all there is too it.

The best thing about this deal, from the Jets' perspective, is that we now do not have to spend a first day pick on a running back. True, we moved down, but that pick would have likely been used on an RB anyhow. This allows us to focus on other areas of need.

Or if the rumor of our trade up to number 2 overall with the Lions for our 1st and a "defensive starter" turns out to be true, we still have 3 first day picks.

The Bears gave up a player who no longer fit with the team, and move up quite a few spots in the process. While everyone in the locker room loves Jones (a good sign for the Jets) he just didn't fit with the ownership as they have big time dollars invested in Benson. He's the A-Rod of the locker room, in that he's getting paid big time dollars, but not many people actually like him and the Bears are stuck with him.

And look at it this way... the Bears now have the Ammo to move up for Brady Quinn, if he slips out of the top 8....
Non_Sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 01:17 AM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
What do the Bears do now? They have two picks in the 30's . . . TE and OL?
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but IMO that's prime position for a trade up should someone they like slip into a reasonable spot. The values for the 31st and 37th picks would allow Chicago to trade into the top fifteen if they wanted. Perhaps not likely, but a possibility I think.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:22 AM    (permalink
Non_Sequitur
Veteran

Non_Sequitur hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGSeiler View Post
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but IMO that's prime position for a trade up should someone they like slip into a reasonable spot. The values for the 31st and 37th picks would allow Chicago to trade into the top fifteen if they wanted. Perhaps not likely, but a possibility I think.
That's what I was saying about Quinn. Rumors keep swirling that he'll slip out of the top 10... if he does, why don't the Bears get a legit QB by trading up?
Non_Sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 05:29 AM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ah deal makes sense I watched the 5:00 news this morning and they said TJ for the Jets 2nd rounder so I was thinking WTF.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966
SeanTaylorRIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 05:33 AM    (permalink
KBear
All-Pro

KBear hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non_Sequitur View Post
That's what I was saying about Quinn. Rumors keep swirling that he'll slip out of the top 10... if he does, why don't the Bears get a legit QB by trading up?
Angelo does not normally trade draft picks in order to move up in the first round of the draft. He rarely trades up, and given that this trade is basically moving up in the draft for Angelo, I really dont expect it to happen twice in the same year.

Besides, I dont think they will pay first round money to a QB when they already have paid first round money to one QB, and spent more $ on their backup. Having three will just create more problems. I have heard the agruments for the Bears to draft a QB this year, but I dont buy them. Next year maybe, but they need to evaluate Grossman this year to see if he is their guy, and if not they still have Griese and they are developing Orton still.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:41 AM    (permalink
KBear
All-Pro

KBear hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
i agree completely, and davis could be a great #3 wr for them, which is why i think olsen would be a great pick if he was still there...

bradley has shown more then enough potential, but he hasnt been able to stay on the field, i think he could be approaching a breakout year...ive seen alot of him from college and he's a huge playmaker, he still hasnt reached his full potential so i dont see why the bears would want to go WR so early
It normally takes WR about three years to develop, and at such time Moose will be gone, and Berrian and/or Bradley might not be on the team because their contracts will have run out (even if they are resigned the Bears will still need a physical WR to compliment them). Still, thats not enough to draft one in round one, but if Angelo sticks with going with the best athlete avaailabe, there is a good chance that it will be a wr.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:55 AM    (permalink
frogstomp

I just love that we were going to spend that pick on a running back, but now we don't have to, and we still have both picks. I don't see how any Jets fan could be disappointed, as I'd much rather have T.J. carrying the ball than Brian Leonard.