Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Who will sit, who will go for it?
The Saints and Colts will both go for it 31 56.36%
The Saints will go for it, the Colts will sit their starters 20 36.36%
The Colts will go for it, the Saints will sit their starters 1 1.82%
Both will sit their starters 3 5.45%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-18-2009, 12:59 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
Bart Scott may go out of his way to take out Manning if he plays next week. If I was the coach, Id sit them.
This is the kind of shiz I'd worry about...it's easy to say 'oh they'll lose their rhythm if they sit' but there are players out there who do not want to let a team go undefeated on them, and the NFL can be a nasty league. I'd worry, there is literally no justification if somebody important goes down.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:33 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Saints need to play their starters until they lock up home field. The Colts on the other hand, need to treat their remaining games like the third preseason game. Play the starters for the first half and then put in some back-ups for the second half. Guys like Peyton Manning, Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, and Dwight Freeney don't need that 30 minutes in each game to prepare for the playoffs. People will say "Well, Payton doesn't get hurt." Yeah? Well neither did Tom Brady until he did.

It may just be me, but if both the Saints and Colts go 16-0 this year than it really becomes a lot less significant. I mean, that's three teams in the previous three years.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:52 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Rest the starters that are really banged up. Play everybody else.
This. If a key player is hurt then let him rest up. Freeney is a little banged up so they were just putting him out there on 3rd downs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:57 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If these guys had one loss but were still in their pretty much unpassable positions, yeah maybe sit your starters. But I guarantee you there is not one player in either of those dressing rooms who doesn't want to be part of the first team to go 19-0. They should go for perfection, and they will.

Quote:
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:58 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think they both go for it but while resting they're key players on a lot of plays kind of like the Colts did last night. They were still in it with Mathis and Freeney getting limited snaps. If either team has anyone with a nagging injury, you sit them obviously but you don't sit all your starters until you lose. Everyone talking about resting the whole team now has to realize that they have a first round bye regardless.

tjsunstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:18 PM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

in 07' neither the giants nor the patriots rested their starters in week 17, and both made the superbowl.

I understand if Eli or Brady had gone down then those coaches would have looked like idiots, but the fact is they didn't, and both crushed their conferences.
Bengalsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:27 PM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Players are every bit as likely to get hurt in the beginning of a playoff game as they are in a regular season game. Moreso even, because they're trying to make plays at a higher level. I can't think of a single key player off the top of my head who's gotten hurt in a meaningless week 17 game. But I remember Carson Palmer.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-18-2009, 05:57 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlyabroncosfan View Post
Players are every bit as likely to get hurt in the beginning of a playoff game as they are in a regular season game. Moreso even, because they're trying to make plays at a higher level. I can't think of a single key player off the top of my head who's gotten hurt in a meaningless week 17 game. But I remember Carson Palmer.
Drew Brees was injured in week 17 of 2005, damaging his shoulder to the point where he was not resigned, altering NFL history forever. The game was completely meaningless to both teams, the division having been locked up the week prior.

sucka!
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:00 PM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlyabroncosfan View Post
Yah, but you're increasing your odds of an injury when you play in Week 17.
Bengalsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:07 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think the would both like to go for perfection, but neither is going to be willing to risk their players doing so, have to find a good balance of keeping the players in game shape an resting them for the playoff run

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:09 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sean Payton has said he's going to leave it up to the players on whether they want to play or not if we get past Dallas and assuming HFA is already locked up. I doubt anyone says "I'll sit it out".
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:21 PM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC.SD View Post
Drew Brees was injured in week 17 of 2005, damaging his shoulder to the point where he was not resigned, altering NFL history forever. The game was completely meaningless to both teams, the division having been locked up the week prior.

sucka!
I said KEY players :p

And I was leaning more towards key players on teams that were already in the playoffs. Chargers didn't make it that year. I had to check, just to make sure. It's hard remembering a time where we didn't blow a division lead.

Although I'm sure if the season was five games longer, we would have been 13-8 and the Chargers 14-7.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-18-2009, 06:22 PM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
Sean Payton has said he's going to leave it up to the players on whether they want to play or not if we get past Dallas and assuming HFA is already locked up. I doubt anyone says "I'll sit it out".
Yeah. Has anyone here played on an undefeated team? You want to keep that zero. It really means something. Even the guys who only play 2-3 years, and only see the field on special teams, if at all, will always remember that year they went undefeated.

EDIT: Before you smart asses come and say "they'll remember the super bowl, too" I just want to add that 19-0 separates yourself from other super bowl winners. Every SB winning team has been beaten except for one. That's some elite company.

Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) : 12-18-2009 at 06:26 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:17 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Herm Edwards already decided this debate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMk5sMHj58I

Last edited by descendency : 12-19-2009 at 12:29 AM.
descendency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:55 AM    (permalink
yodabear
Magic Fingers
Legend

yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think the Saints will go for it, and it will be a battle between Curtis Painter and Ryan Fitzpatrick in week 17. However, I am with Herm Edwards. Both teams will have a week off the week before the divisional playoffs, so go for history.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:08 PM    (permalink
Sloopy
Pro Bowler

Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Being an Ohio State Buckeyes fan, I have seen time and time again the affects of not playing a competitive football game for too long. I think you need to play the healthy players. The argument of giving them rest has two flaws: 1. the "rest" these guys will get isn't going to give these guys fresher legs, at this point in the season, recovery comes from many weeks of rest. 2. The lack of competitive play is going to make you sluggish during your first playoff game. The argument of preventing injury is irrelevant as you could get hurt just as easily in week 17 as you can the first snap of the playoffs.

IMO, you have to play with the same intensity from week one all the way to the Superbowl. These games are just as important as all the others even if they "don't mean anything."

I PITY THE FOOL WHO DON'T BELIEVE ME
BK sig is straight sex
THE Ohio State University Buckeyes
Baltimore Ravens
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Indians
Chelsea FC
Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
Miller is visual sex on the field.
Sloopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 03:34 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think it's stupid to just rest players just because, now if you had a guy who had been playing 75% lately just because then sure, rest him. But if you have a bye week you already have a week off, why would you want 2-3 weeks off then you start the 2nd round of the playoffs facing what could likely be a team playing their best ball of the year?

It just never made sense to me anyway, there are 16 games in a season, play them. Too many times you see teams come in rusty vs a team who got hot at the right time and by the time they get it going it's too late.

Quote:
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 05:18 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If the Colts rest their starters they will get their asses handed to them in the playoffs by the Chargers, guaranteed.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:40 AM    (permalink
katnip
Veteran

katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

they'll both go for it

Well... the Colts will go for it now after last night

Sig by, Hitman D
katnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:54 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
If the Colts rest their starters they will get their asses handed to them in the playoffs by the Chargers, guaranteed.

That might happen regardless.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:57 AM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

God damn Chargers.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-20-2009, 03:19 PM    (permalink
Sloopy
Pro Bowler

Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I fear the chargers more than anyone else in the playoffs. They can go point for point with us and their defense is a real issue for us.

I PITY THE FOOL WHO DON'T BELIEVE ME
BK sig is straight sex
THE Ohio State University Buckeyes
Baltimore Ravens
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Indians
Chelsea FC
Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
Miller is visual sex on the field.
Sloopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 04:11 PM    (permalink
hockey619
Veteran

hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

WILL they go for it? IDK

SHOULD they? YES

Every year, someone wins the superbowl. Who won it ten years ago? most people have to think about it. Who went undefeated? you dont have to think about it, you know who did and when.

Undefeated is a much more exclusive club.
hockey619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:16 AM    (permalink
yodabear
Magic Fingers
Legend

yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Go for it Colts, and then succeed, and then some1 severely injure Mercury Morris, and I will take the rap for it.