Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 12-24-2009, 11:24 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
The Vikings and Saints have it very easy this year with the playoffs. Neither team has to travel to the cold weather of Philly, Green Bay, or even the Meadowlands if the Giants somehow sneak in
If Philly wins out and Minny drops a game, Philly gets the #2 seed, so it would be possible for Minny to travel to Philly.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 06:59 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sniper, possible but not done yet. Plus, I misworded that statement. The Vikings and Saints don't have it easy, no one does. They have more of an advantage, if there is such a thing in the playoffs. This year, I like to think of it as a shorter ride home for the loser. It's obvious to everyone that having home field means you have an upper hand but the importance of it is underplayed in my opinion.

I agree with everything in the epic post by bbd. Teams always cater to their needs to compete with not only the other teams in their division but their surroundings as well. The exception to your logic however may be the Green Bay Packers themselves. They play in a cold weather environment, frozen tundra obviously, but tend to address offense more times than not since 2006That could be for a plethora of reasons however. May be us trying to rebuild our offense around Aaron Rodgers (drafted '05), trying to replace aging players, and keep up with or get ahead of our division's tendencies, or may be because we addressed, or tried to, defense in so many drafts previous to that because of the stability and consistency that Favre provided. The Vikings previous to this year (and maybe even still are) have been a run first team. The Bears are changing identities by the week and the Lions haven't had one since Barry Sanders skipped town. Now that we're transitioning, obviously we will address defense a little more heavily but it seems to be quantity over quality for Green Bay.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 10:47 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't really get this whole topic. I mean, isn't it common knowledge a QB will play better in a dome (their home dome) and worse on the road in the winter? I'm just saying, if this is about who's a better cold weather QB or somethingm than fine. Maybe I'm missing something. It is kinda late...
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 12:08 AM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-L View Post
Tom Brady is actually very good when the weather is below 41 degrees. Here are his numbers:

91.9 rating, 62.2% and 2.4:1 TD:INT

Compare that to Manning in the same situation:

86.9 rating, 61.3% and 1.4:1 TD:INT
To be fair to Manning, though, are you only including Tom's road games in sub 41 degree weather? Because QBs generally do better at home than on the road, and Peyton Manning has never and most likely will never play a home game in bad conditions. It wouldn't shock me at all if Tom's road numbers in those conditions were better as well, if only because he's more used to playing in those conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 12:28 AM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think the main point of this thread is that the Bears need to build a ******* dome.
Old 12-25-2009, 10:20 AM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
I don't really get this whole topic. I mean, isn't it common knowledge a QB will play better in a dome (their home dome) and worse on the road in the winter? I'm just saying, if this is about who's a better cold weather QB or somethingm than fine. Maybe I'm missing something. It is kinda late...
To an extent. It's just interesting if nothing else.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 10:35 AM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Now the real question is, who has the advantage in today's league? It seems more than ever, scoring and passing the ball are dominating the game (during the regular season at least. im still a firm believer that defense and the run game dominate the playoffs). So does this shift the competitive advantage over to teams who have a better chance of developing qbs in warm weather/domes?
I wonder how much of this has to do with the very topic at hand. I mean the weather doesn't really become a factor until December and January, throw in dome teams and all of a sudden you get a quick explanation for why certain passing teams seem to start hot and then fall away as the weather gets worse.

Look at Favre over the last few years, he is a risk taking QB and as the weather has gotten worse he has made more mistakes and not performed nearly as well. Part of it is probably conditioning as he wears down due to not doing training camps to get in shape but part is surely the bad weather.

Dallas are another example, the other teams in the divisions play in fairly hostile conditions, something they don't have at home, division games and the hot cold, as well as their passing based gameplan could certainly go a long way to explaining their Decembers and also perhaps why they were able to so effectively snap out of the funk against another dome/pass happy team.

San Diego are perhaps an anomaly, though historically they have been a power running team with a strong defense, though this year that is not so much the case, though they for the most part play in decent conditions also.

The Ravens, Steelers, Giants and Raiders(comparatively) have been strong finishing teams the last few years, all have been defense and running teams.

Philly seem to be the one true anomaly, in that they are pass heavy, bad weather team that seems to always start slow and finish strong.

How much of the "defense and running the football wins championships" has to do with the weather conditions that come at the right time of the year for those types of teams. It certainly isn't everything, but perhaps goes a way to explaining why a couple of the fair weather/pass happy teams like Indy, Philly, Dallas and Minny(pre AP at least) have struggled over the last decade in the playoffs against other more power run/defense based teams like Pittsburgh, Giants, Patriots and Chargers amongst others.

Perhaps there is substance to go with the style argument?

Props to BK on the sig!
wogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote