Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-06-2007, 11:03 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogstomp View Post
I just love that we were going to spend that pick on a running back, but now we don't have to, and we still have both picks. I don't see how any Jets fan could be disappointed, as I'd much rather have T.J. carrying the ball than Brian Leonard.
The only downside, I suppose, is that Jones is going to get about 12-14 million guaranteed in his new contract. Which is not unreasonable for this market at all, but still a large chunk of change to give a 28 year old runningback as opposed to the small contracts that 2nd round picks demand.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:18 AM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thomas isn't really, in terms of wear and tear, a 28/29 year old back. Most backs at that age, you think they have about 2 or so good seasons left. I think Thomas can have 3-4 quality seasons left before the decline begins.

Who knows, though. We are only speculating on the body, which is an inexact effort to speculate on.
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:22 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonsterwu View Post
Thomas isn't really, in terms of wear and tear, a 28/29 year old back. Most backs at that age, you think they have about 2 or so good seasons left. I think Thomas can have 3-4 quality seasons left before the decline begins.

Who knows, though. We are only speculating on the body, which is an inexact effort to speculate on.
No I agree. I wouldn't have the same concerns with Jones as I would with others. I think age is somewhat overrated in general as of late anyway. All of these age limits are very flexible in terms of a players history and ability to take care of themselves.

Old 03-06-2007, 01:34 PM    (permalink
hcbrad08
Veteran

hcbrad08 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
No I agree. I wouldn't have the same concerns with Jones as I would with others. I think age is somewhat overrated in general as of late anyway. All of these age limits are very flexible in terms of a players history and ability to take care of themselves.
Jones has averaged 200 carries throughout his carreer that is so low for a guy who ran for almost 5500 yards. RB's can run late in their carreer as long as they're not too banged up. Jones has ALWAYS shared time and will last a lot longer than most expect

Exactly Why The Jets are the Coolest Team in the NFL:

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...x-in-town.html

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...e-for-you.html
hcbrad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 02:53 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A side note about Jones -

The guy is one of the most physically fit guys there is. That could potentially help extend his career longer. I am guessing, if utilized correctly, that he has 3-4 good years ahead of him, but I could see more. With Leon Washington and Cedric Houston spelling him (and that's a tandem whose talents mesh well), Thomas should be given enough breathers.
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 02:59 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i also think leon washington will be more then just a 3rd down back, i could see him getting a little more carries then just on 3rd, he showed flashes last year, and with a great back in front of him i think his speed will be dangerous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 03:14 PM    (permalink
jetsfan3
All-Pro

jetsfan3 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
i also think leon washington will be more then just a 3rd down back, i could see him getting a little more carries then just on 3rd, he showed flashes last year, and with a great back in front of him i think his speed will be dangerous
He is also a big threat in the recieving game out of the backfield.

Bears fans, how is Thomas Jones as a reciever out of the backfield, because that's what Pennington likes to do?
Old 03-06-2007, 03:15 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

Has there been any news regarding the extension? Because I don't think the deal goes through until that happens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Number 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 03:20 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Severe Punishment hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Jones only would have been with the team for one more year anyway.

And all draft picks are unproven. You would take any player that has produced over a draft pick? As for being "forced" to play Benson, he would have started this year regardless. It's his third year in the league, if he's not ready now he never will be.
Not convinced of that. It was pretty well known that he was the players choice to be the starting RB and that Benson has always been managements choice. You guys lost more than just a starting Rb IMO, you lost the heart and soul of that offense.

Benson is the biggest question mark in the league at RB, the guy hasn't even completed a single season injury free and he's going to start 16 games for ya ? PLUS pre season AND playoffs ??.....just a bad personel move IMO.
If I were Chicago I'd have dumped the unproven Benson and kept the guy
who the team loves and whose given me his heart and soul for the last 3 years.

As a Viking fan I have to say, without a proven running game, I think the Bears lost a step on the entire NFC.
Severe Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 03:22 PM    (permalink
KBear
All-Pro

KBear hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsfan3 View Post
He is also a big threat in the recieving game out of the backfield.

Bears fans, how is Thomas Jones as a reciever out of the backfield, because that's what Pennington likes to do?
Jones is a very good reciever out of the backfield.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:02 PM    (permalink
frogstomp

Quote:
The only downside, I suppose, is that Jones is going to get about 12-14 million guaranteed in his new contract. Which is not unreasonable for this market at all, but still a large chunk of change to give a 28 year old runningback as opposed to the small contracts that 2nd round picks demand.
Seeing as we have so much unused cap, and pretty much no one left to sign, I hardly see it as a downside.

However, if we were going to lose out on a decent player or two, I would agree.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:44 AM    (permalink
Non_Sequitur
Veteran

Non_Sequitur hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

4 Years.
20 Million total.
12 Million in Guarantees.
13.1 Million in the first two years
Non_Sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 02:47 AM    (permalink
Turbo Sexophonic Delight

zooomg whataaa steal
Old 03-07-2007, 06:21 AM    (permalink
Non_Sequitur
Veteran

Non_Sequitur hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non_Sequitur View Post
4 Years.
20 Million total.
12 Million in Guarantees.
13.1 Million in the first two years

It's essentially the same deal Travis Henry got, only without the 5th year obligation and base salary.

Plus, look at it this way, Graham just got a 5 year 30 mil. dollar deal. So a stud RB like Jones is getting paid less than a mediocre TE like Graham.
Non_Sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:14 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severe Punishment View Post
As a Viking fan I have to say, without a proven running game, I think the Bears lost a step on the entire NFC.
Well the Vikings just gave a 5 year 15 million dollar deal to a guy we kicked to the curb and wouldn't let come back to sell peanuts so I'd still say we're a bit ahead in the dumbass moves department.

Old 03-07-2007, 10:48 AM    (permalink
portermvp84
Pro Bowler

portermvp84 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

This is Benson's chance to show them what he's really made of.

Thanks to jackalope
portermvp84 is offline   Reply With Quote