Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-06-2007, 06:42 PM    (permalink
Windy
All-Pro

Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.

this is from pft so who knows but it's interesting

POSTED 7:39 p.m. EST, March 6, 2007

STILL NO DEAL FOR STALLWORTH

Contrary to a report on ComcastSportsNet.com that receiver Donte' Stallworth has a deal with the New England Patriots, Profootballtalk.com has learned that there is no agreement.

ComcastSportsNet.com says that the deal was "confirmed . . . by the office of Drew Rosenhaus, Stallworth's agent."

Well, we tracked down Rosenhaus personally, and he told us: "There is no deal, and nothing is imminent."

Stallworth visited with the Patriots on Tuesday, and will next visit with the Titans, and then with the Dolphins. No decision on his next destination is expected until the end of the week, at the earliest.
Windy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 06:43 PM    (permalink
DonWoods33
Rookie

DonWoods33 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonsterwu View Post
I guess it's possible the Patriots sell up that high, but I'm not sold on it. This is a team that values it's draft picks here, and with what has been long thought of as a weak draft, I've always thought there was a strong possibility they might deal down and accumulate future picks. They had the cap space this year to make the moves, but they also know in the near future, they'll need to start moving guys off to have continuity, and that'll involve future picks. On paper, next year's draft looks much better right now, and accumulating picks there could help ease the burden of potentially moving off guys like Bruschi/Harrison/Green/perhaps Light amongst others. The grades between late first talent and 2nd round talents aren't going to differentiate by much. With how they utilize safety talent, they might as well take a Reggie Nelson (don't think he'll be there, but there's a chance) or Michael Griffin, or to take a John Wendling/Eric Weddle type later on.

But that's my guess, and it's early, so it's all speculation.
I didn't consider that. They could move down, and get seconds and thirds and such, and also picks next year. Certainly makes sense though, because of the job they do developing talent. Seems like they are really pushing to get back to the Superbowl with all this activity, and they realize its more competitive now then three, four years ago, when they started their run.
DonWoods33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 06:47 PM    (permalink
DonWoods33
Rookie

DonWoods33 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy City Big Gamer Uno View Post
this is from pft so who knows but it's interesting

POSTED 7:39 p.m. EST, March 6, 2007

STILL NO DEAL FOR STALLWORTH

Contrary to a report on ComcastSportsNet.com that receiver Donte' Stallworth has a deal with the New England Patriots, Profootballtalk.com has learned that there is no agreement.

ComcastSportsNet.com says that the deal was "confirmed . . . by the office of Drew Rosenhaus, Stallworth's agent."

Well, we tracked down Rosenhaus personally, and he told us: "There is no deal, and nothing is imminent."

Stallworth visited with the Patriots on Tuesday, and will next visit with the Titans, and then with the Dolphins. No decision on his next destination is expected until the end of the week, at the earliest.
And the story continues. You would think the British Prime Minister was facing a no confidence vote, with all this mystery.
DonWoods33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 06:48 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonWoods33 View Post
I didn't consider that. They could move down, and get seconds and thirds and such, and also picks next year. Certainly makes sense though, because of the job they do developing talent. Seems like they are really pushing to get back to the Superbowl with all this activity, and they realize its more competitive now then three, four years ago, when they started their run.
If they can get Stallworth and deal down to accumulate future picks, they could really be positioning themselves for a long, long run as a top level team. Their needs can be filled in the 2nd/3rd round, and accumulating future picks would allow them to leverage against some of the veterans that may eventually need to be moved. This is an organization that does a great job of thinking in the present, while being mindful of the future, and so far, it's been a solid offseason for them.

Really, the Patriots don't have any pressing needs that's first round worthy. Thomas allows them to groom LB's, Sanders allows them to groom safeties. SOmeone like Weddle would have the free safety versatility that Belichick likes, in case WIlson struggles, or they could go with the superb talent of Wendling while knowing he needs to be molded. Adding Welker/Stallworth would be good system moves while removing a need for immediate WR impact.

Last edited by toonsterwu : 03-06-2007 at 06:54 PM.
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 06:50 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't trust everything I hear from Profootball Talk. I would be more apt to believe Comcastsportsnet. But that's not saying much. My opinion of that site is very low.
Still, this is getting pretty interesting. Well, as a Patriots fan, I just hope we get either him or Moss. I would still prefer Moss.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 06:50 PM    (permalink
indyfan1985
Veteran

indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckNaked View Post
Welker and Stallworth. They've got some good targets for Brady now.
I dont this signing is true. If if is, the Pats much be on crack!! Why would they dish out 2 huge contracts to WRs that wouldnt even be #1 WRs on many other teams?? And WHERE ARE THEY GETTING THIS MONEY FROM?? They already signed Thomas and Welker to huge deals. I think Stallworth will end up in Tennesee.

indyfan1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 06:53 PM    (permalink
MNRunLeft
Rookie

MNRunLeft hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I'm still a little suprised that NE didn't want to resign Branch and instead have gone after 2 new WR's this offseason one with an injury history. Branch and Brady seemly got along well with one another so why not keep him? Is Welker or Stallworth an improvment over Branch? I don't think Welker is and I think Stallworth and Branch are somewhat equal.
MNRunLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 06:54 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyfan1985 View Post
I dont this signing is true. If if is, the Pats much be on crack!! Why would they dish out 2 huge contracts to WRs that wouldnt even be #1 WRs on many other teams?? And WHERE ARE THEY GETTING THIS MONEY FROM?? They already signed Thomas and Welker to huge deals. I think Stallworth will end up in Tennesee.
You don't need a true number one wide receiver to win in the NFL. We've won all these years with guys who would be 3's on most teams, with the exception of Branch who would be a 2 on most teams. In fact, if you follow the elite receivers, you won't find many rings. But Stallworth is a solid borderline 1.
As for the money, one of the things I was mad about last season was that we didn't made a major move...despite all our cap space. We we're like 20 million under the cap, or something like that.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 06:59 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNRunLeft View Post
I'm still a little suprised that NE didn't want to resign Branch and instead have gone after 2 new WR's this offseason one with an injury history. Branch and Brady seemly got along well with one another so why not keep him? Is Welker or Stallworth an improvment over Branch? I don't think Welker is and I think Stallworth and Branch are somewhat equal.
I think the answer to that is, relative to when the Branch situation was going on, the cost of keeping Branch, who is a marginal number 1 receiver, a solid number 2, and a great number 3, was too much relative to the organizational structure. Keep in mind that the salary cap rose this offseason substantially. In the end, I don't think anyone really feels that Branch was the difference between playing for a Super Bowl for them and sitting and watching, and the additional pick offers them quality future planning.
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:03 PM    (permalink
Larry
Veteran

Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by remix 6 View Post
no. 2003, Rodney Harrison, Rosevelt Colvin got a big deal

2005 we offered Derrick Mason a nice contract but he took less for Baltimore b/c his wife didnt wanna come to New England(stupid *****)

and we had some big interest in Samari Rolle if i remember correctly but nothing happened. Dillon was a big move in '04

just everyone says were cheap and underestimate what we do. we sign players we need/fit what we want. might aswell start calling every team that hasnt had a big move yet cheap.
2003 was a while ago.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:04 PM    (permalink
Man_Of_Steel
Pro Bowler

Man_Of_Steel hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

There you go Tom
Man_Of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:07 PM    (permalink
KCJ58
Icon

KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

well u can throw Randy Moss's name to New England out the window

KCJ58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:08 PM    (permalink
remix 6
Pro Bowler

remix 6 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

nothing offical. we offered 6 years $32 million i believe and hes going to visit with Golfins and Titans
remix 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:35 PM    (permalink
#1chiefs_fan

he hasn't signed yet. he still has to visit tennesse and miami
Old 03-06-2007, 07:50 PM    (permalink
49erfaithful
Veteran

49erfaithful hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

the Pats are really gearing up for another Super Bowl run
49erfaithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:02 PM    (permalink
#1chiefs_fan

super bowl ha
Old 03-06-2007, 10:06 PM    (permalink
Komp
Veteran

Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.

Man the Pats are like 5 deep at WR already....Gaffney, Caldwell, Jackson, Troy Brown, Welker....if they do sign Stallworth I think they made a bad decision signing Welker as they overpaid for him as it is....They have 2-3 decent #2 WR's on their roster already.

Sig by fenikz! Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Mr. Dukes comes from the Michael Irvin "talk loud and maybe people will think I know what I am talking about" school of football analysis.
Komp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:17 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
in my HONEST opinion i believe at the end of tomorrow, he will be a New England Patriot, making us the most dynamic, young, and explosive offense in the LEAGUE, i said it LEAGUE
I'll take Manning, Harrison, Wayne, and Addai over Brady, Stallworth, Gafney/Welker/Caldwell, and Maroney any day of the week. But who am I kidding? I'd be ecstatic with either.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:24 PM    (permalink
JJJ888
TRIPS
All-Pro

JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.

Ladies and Gentlemen, let me suggest something we use often in my history class. It is called checking your sources. If one source reports something, you throw it out the window until another does. When a second source confirms that first report, then you take it into consideration. You do not consider it to be fact, however, unless there are three (legitimate) sources that report that the story is indeed true.

Seriously, we've seen a couple of false rumors already this offseason. Let's verify that our sources are correct before we throw the whole board into an uproar. And if you would like to post a rumor, please make note of that fact in the title, so we don't end up with people assuming that the title is absolute fact. A simple question mark will do.

Thank you and have a nice day.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:42 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ888 View Post
Ladies and Gentlemen, let me suggest something we use often in my history class. It is called checking your sources. If one source reports something, you throw it out the window until another does. When a second source confirms that first report, then you take it into consideration. You do not consider it to be fact, however, unless there are three (legitimate) sources that report that the story is indeed true.

Seriously, we've seen a couple of false rumors already this offseason. Let's verify that our sources are correct before we throw the whole board into an uproar. And if you would like to post a rumor, please make note of that fact in the title, so we don't end up with people assuming that the title is absolute fact. A simple question mark will do.

TO traded for 2 1st rounders to the Pats. Source: My left foot :D
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:43 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathbyStat View Post
Does this kill the Randy Moss thing
If they do indeed sign Stallworht, yes it does kill the Randy Moss thing.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 01:03 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
Hope it's true. If it is...Wow.
Welker...Caldwell..Stallworth...Watson..Maroney... and if Gaffney can play as well as he did in the playoffs. Wow. We're going to have an awesome offense. And that's not even mentioning David Thomas, who came on strong last year. We're stacked. I still would have preferred Randy Moss though, but Stallworth is the type of guy we like. Very quick, and smaller. That's the type of guys that work well in our offense.
david thomas is going to be really solid for you guys, may have led to releasing graham since thomas is a whole lot cheaper...he has excellent hands, he's just small as far as height is concerned...but he has been a top TE all the way since HS, i attended a nike camp with him back before the 01-02 season and he definately showed how much potential he has...i hope he gets a chance to get worked in....

and im just rooting for him to leave philly, id love if he came home to tennessee with vince, that would enable them to not go WR first rd, maybe wait 2nd for a sidney rice if they still felt the need...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 08:35 AM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

Jay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ888 View Post

I don't think there is any more legit source than NFL.com. They ****** everything up. I went on THE LEAGUES website and the story said "Schefter: Patriots agrees to deal with Patriots." This guy writes for THE LEAGUES website and is on THE LEAGUES TV network. On top of that, he has been dead on all offseason. If you went to NFL.com and saw this on the main page and were a fan of the Patriots, you'd get excited too:

It's not like I read some rumor somewhere, right there, the lead headline on the news column in the right. How much official should it have been? How did I know they screwed up? And then took it down less than an hour later...
Old 03-07-2007, 09:47 AM    (permalink
portermvp84
Pro Bowler

portermvp84 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Wow, the Pats are going to be on fire next season. They have a good shot on going to the SB. Good signing Tom Brady finally has a number one WR.

Thanks to jackalope
portermvp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:01 AM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He hasn't signed it, they just offered him a contract.

Rest in Peace, themaninblack
eaglesalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote