Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 01-14-2010, 12:53 PM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oh yea, this isn't done deal yet. Still weighing both offers.
Damix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:34 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This may not happen untill the weekend now. Fewell is still talking to Chicago and the Bills for the head coaching spot.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:43 PM    (permalink
OSUGiants17
All-NFLDC

Location: Richard Sherman: Trolling uptight white people since 2011
OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is the only reason why I would feel ok about this signing.
Quote:
the 2008 Bills defense ranked 2nd in the AFC in negative yardage plays, recorded 7 games of holding opposing offenses to less than 100 yards rushing, finished 4th in the NFL in Red-Zone defense (41.8%), and allowed just 14 passing TDs all year.
If he changes from cover 2 to something else, this might not be the worst signing. I would still rather have John Fox

OSUGiants17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:43 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sounds like he's just sparking a bidding war for his services between NY and Chicago.

Chicago is notoriously cheap, and while NY isn't exactly Dallas or Washington, we do a decent job with pay.

So chances are he chooses NY. He also has more to work with technically in NY, and more freedom to do what he wants in NY instead of having to work under Lovie.

So NY makes much more sense for him.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:54 PM    (permalink
OSUGiants17
All-NFLDC

Location: Richard Sherman: Trolling uptight white people since 2011
OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just hope that who ever we sign, can light a fire under these guys asses and get them ready for next year.

OSUGiants17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:09 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Actually we're very cheap with our coaches. One of the reason we didn't hire Capers and supposedly one of the reasons Waufle was fired. He asked for more money.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:02 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-Pro

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i wouldnt mind this, i think Ross and Thomas would be pretty good in Cov 2 scheme, Webster probably could hold up.

His safety work is incredible though and that has been a glaring hole for awhile. As has DT, but don't we need more mobile LB's in a Cov 2? Boley would work but idk about Sintim or Goff, we'd most likely have to have Kehl start at SAM and draft a MLB.

Sig by BK <3

Jerry Reese is sooo Dreamy <3333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper's Rep Comment
I ****** hate you, stupid *** smd
Greatest. Rep. Comment. EVER! You're not 12 or anything.
Philadelphia, the city of brotherly love (:
BaLLiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:35 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

I just watched the 3 Bills game I have on DVD...Bills' corners were in man coverage more often than not.

Something else I noticed...he doesn't play a left/right system. Corners and safeties appeared to be moved around based on matchups, something the Giants have rarely done over the past few years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Number 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:04 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-Pro

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

its official

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true

Sig by BK <3

Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-14-2010, 08:12 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-Pro

apparently he has been under many schemes, which is very good for us, and that he will mold the scheme to his players, which i dont completely believe, but i do like the fact that he isn't predictable, takes chances.

The whole buddy buddy thing with players is not a great thing though.

Sig by BK <3

Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-15-2010, 06:04 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like this hire. The Bills have done a great job adjusting their scheme to their personnel which I think is the key for someone working with a team that has this much talent.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:39 AM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

here is a good article on Perry Fewell and may give a little idea of what we can expect

from http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giant...JSidLwOocPGibL

Fewell fits Bill for Giants
Giants Blog

By PAUL SCHWARTZ

Last Updated: 6:08 AM, January 16, 2010

Here is a warning for the Giants now that Perry Fewell is running the defense: You do something dumb, watch out.

"If you get out there and consistently make mistakes, he's going to blow up," Bills safety George Wilson told The Post. "He doesn't like repetitive mistakes. He doesn't like silly mistakes. Hitting a guy out of bounds and getting a penalty. I saw that happen in one of our games this year -- he just went berserk.

"We're battling for field position, the guy was a veteran guy, Drayton Florence, and he should have known better, and Perry just chewed [him] out. Sometimes as players we need that. Perry does a good job of knowing when to get in your face and when to step back and do some positive reinforcement. He does a good job of doing a balancing act."

Fewell, 47, brings that act to the Giants after he was hired Thursday as the team's new defensive coordinator, replacing Bill Sheridan, who was fired after one miserable season. As so often is the case in these situations, the newcomer is lauded as being so very different from the coach he replaces.

Sheridan was reserved and studious. Fewell -- the defensive coordinator in Buffalo the past four years -- is described as emotional and inspiring, though he calls the game from the quiet of the press box rather than the tumult of the sideline.

"He's an upbeat guy. He's a very optimistic guy, doesn't try to find the bad in everything," said Wilson, who completed his fifth year with the Bills. "You can talk to him about football, you can talk to him about life. The guys respect him the in the locker room, and at the end of the day, that's what you have to have as a coach. They will battle for him and lay their bodies on the line for him.

"He's definitely a fiery guy that you can tell he has a passion for the game, that he wishes he could get out there and play. He always talks to us, refers back to '79. He may see somebody make a good play and he'll joke around and say, 'Ah, man, I could do that back in '79.' I have a lot of love for Perry."

Fewell was a defensive back at Lenoir-Rhyne in North Carolina. He was part of coach Tom Coughlin's staff for five years in Jacksonville; if Coughlin trusts him to run the deteriorated Giants defense you know Fewell's work ethic cannot be questioned.

This past November, Fewell received an unexpected promotion when he was named interim head coach following Dick Jauron's firing. The Bills went 3-4 in their last seven games --three of the losses were by seven or fewer points -- and Fewell grew in the job.

"He was put into a tough spot, having to step in for his friend, Coach Jauron," Wilson said. "One thing about Perry, from the first time he addressed the team, the first time he stepped before us, he took ownership of the team. He changed the expectations. I think it was a great experience for him. I know the guys in our locker room rallied behind him."

Fewell worked with Lovie Smith with the Rams and Bears in the Tampa Two defense that favored zone coverage, but Wilson says Fewell's nature is to scheme aggressively with a single-high safety and plenty of pressure.

"He definitely likes to get after the quarterback," Wilson said. "We had a lot of interceptions. We made progress in sacks. He's definitely an aggressive coordinator. He'll try to get a feel for what the offense is trying to do in the first drive of the game, and then he'll make an adjustment. He'll get a feel for the game and he'll start to dial 'em up."
Big_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:35 AM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

So after reading articles and listening to interviews on top of what I already thought of Fewell, I think its safe to say the intitial reaction by many with the Cover 2 talk was incorrect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Number 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:47 AM    (permalink
Bills2083
All-Pro

Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
What about his crappy run defenses? All personnel or more scheme #10?
We had our 4th-string LBs playing by the end of the season.
Our starters have problems tackling, so if our 4th-stringers are starting, then they're not gonna do too well

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy
my lord...I cannot imagine such a world where I can mention Raymell Rice's thighs around a girl and not be the only one sexually aroused
Quote:
But for everyone reading this in Buffalo and Cleveland and everywhere else, take solace in the following: As crazy as it sounds, you're lucky. Your Mount Everest experience is still ahead of you. It's waiting, and it's glorious.- Bill Simmons
Bills2083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 04:25 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 View Post
So after reading articles and listening to interviews on top of what I already thought of Fewell, I think its safe to say the intitial reaction by many with the Cover 2 talk was incorrect.
I think that is it exactly, I actually think Fewell is a good fit

It is worth remembering that he was working within Lovie's system in St Louis and Chicago abd Jauron's system in Buffalo

sounds to me like he will be something like spags in his coaching style

it will be interesting to see what schemes he comes up with

Last edited by Big_Pete : 01-16-2010 at 04:27 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:21 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I'm furious right now. Livid. Every word for pissed off you can think of.

This is terrible. I hate Cover 2. I despise Cover 2. This was a horrible hire. It doesn't fit our team at all. If this doesn't work, Coughlin should get fired next year.

I don't even want to talk about defense until after next year is over. I'm disgusted right now. I just hope our offense can carry us. I'm sick to my stomach right now.

Haqhahahah I am very skeptical of this hire too! But i know how much YOU would hate this hire! Haha

Remember these words ..

Collison
Funnel
Sink

: P
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 01:24 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 View Post
Guys you are overreacting to the Cover 2 thing.

We are not running the scheme that Tampa or Indy runs. There will be elements of that scheme implemented but if you watch what we did under Spags, we ran some cover 2 every week.
True, but still damn funny to see people react this way, and mind you not a fanof this hire, but I will remain patient, but still skeptical at the same time until he proves to fix this mess.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:12 AM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss+Manning=Banning View Post
True, but still damn funny to see people react this way, and mind you not a fanof this hire, but I will remain patient, but still skeptical at the same time until he proves to fix this mess.
I share BBD's disgust with the tampa-2 scheme to a degree but I like this hire, buffalo's D certainly wasn't the painful traditional tampa-2 with the varied coverages and pressure and they didn't have half of the pass rushing talent we'll have for him to use. I like this hire as long as he can still bond with our players despite him being a booth guy.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Old 01-17-2010, 03:27 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
I share BBD's disgust with the tampa-2 scheme to a degree but I like this hire, buffalo's D certainly wasn't the painful traditional tampa-2 with the varied coverages and pressure and they didn't have half of the pass rushing talent we'll have for him to use. I like this hire as long as he can still bond with our players despite him being a booth guy.
Booth guy or not means nothing. Fans make too much of it. I, personally, am a booth guy myself. I know in the future no matter where i coach I want to be up in booth on game days. It's a personal preference.

I hate the Tampa 2 defense myself, so not happy with this hire, but I will save my judgement until I have seen his defense. Overall I am getting used to not liking our hires. Huffy, Lewis, and Sheridan I disliked as well. But I want to see this guy run his scheme before i made a decision. But right away, I can tell I am no a fan of the system, but now the remaining thing is to see it in action before i make a final opinion on it.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:38 AM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss+Manning=Banning View Post
Booth guy or not means nothing. Fans make too much of it. I, personally, am a booth guy myself. I know in the future no matter where i coach I want to be up in booth on game days. It's a personal preference.

I hate the Tampa 2 defense myself, so not happy with this hire, but I will save my judgement until I have seen his defense. Overall I am getting used to not liking our hires. Huffy, Lewis, and Sheridan I disliked as well. But I want to see this guy run his scheme before i made a decision. But right away, I can tell I am no a fan of the system, but now the remaining thing is to see it in action before i make a final opinion on it.
I only mention because as has been mentioned our players have struggled to bond with booth guys before, although Pewell has a great relationship with his guys in buffalo so hopefully that won't ever be a problem.

As for his style I don't think it's fair to characterize him as a Tampa 2 guy, yes he's run that for lovie and jauron to a degree, but he definitely mixed his coverages plenty and brought pressure. The key though is he adapts to his talent which with our pass rushers should mean an even more aggressive scheme.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-18-2010, 05:08 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
I only mention because as has been mentioned our players have struggled to bond with booth guys before, although Pewell has a great relationship with his guys in buffalo so hopefully that won't ever be a problem.

As for his style I don't think it's fair to characterize him as a Tampa 2 guy, yes he's run that for lovie and jauron to a degree, but he definitely mixed his coverages plenty and brought pressure. The key though is he adapts to his talent which with our pass rushers should mean an even more aggressive scheme.
Who were the other booth coaches? Lewis, Spags, Huffy, Kildrive, and Sheridan were all on the sidelines. Plus that issue over being on the field or up top is overrated. Players may have a preference but in the end it's up to the coordinator. If the HC insists on where the OC/DC is then he has last say.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:23 PM    (permalink
Play Hard
Rookie

Play Hard hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

So what was so bad about Wauffel and paying him more money. This years problem were pretty much due to injuries no ?
Play Hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:59 AM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play Hard View Post
So what was so bad about Wauffel and paying him more money. This years problem were pretty much due to injuries no ?
according to Mike Garfolo this may be why

part of an article from http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...end_carso.html

by Mike Garafolo
Quote:
NFL.com is reporting former Giants DL coach Mike Waufle will interview with the Raiders this week after chatting with the Redskins last week.

In continuing to unearth reasons for Waufle's departure from the Giants (in addition to his annual gripes about a lack of money and respect from the team), I've picked up on the sound of rumblings the Giants believed he simply got too close to his players and wasn't hard enough on them. This explains why the players loved him, of course, but also why he'd be nudged out the door while the rest of the staff has remained intact.

Think about it: in the preseason Umenyiora left a team meeting after being criticized by defensive coordinator Bill Sheridan for a game in which he graded out well. Who provided those grades? Waufle.

And then, Umenyiora was benched for failing to play the run well enough. Umenyiora clarified recently it was Tom Coughlin who was the force behind the benching. Umenyiora, meanwhile, believed he was doing just fine. Perhaps Waufle was reinforcing his player's belief he wasn't to blame as much as others made it seem. Sounds like that's the kind of stuff that was going on behind the scenes, and apparently played a huge part in the "performance reasons" for Waufle's dismissal to which I alluded in the last entry I wrote on him.

In any case, the Giants have moved on and have yet to fill Waufle's spot. Perhaps Bob Sanders, who was Perry Fewell's D-line coach in Buffalo last season, will be the guy.
Admittedly this is unconfirmed and speculation, but it may be the best we ever find out as no-one within the Giants organisation will comment on the record.

This is a reasonable reason why Wauffle was fired and perhaps explains the poor performance of our D-Line this season.

Whatever the case, Wauffle was fired for a reason, it just may be we never really know.

btw I don't buy the injury excuse. Every team has injuries and we has arguably what was considered the best D-Line depth in the NFL.

Even with Tuck and Canty limited and Alford on IR, we still had Osi, Robbins, Cofield, Kiwanuka and Bernard all of whom were considered starting calibre linemen. I am not saying it was work ethic or anything, but it seemed to me that the D-Line was out of sync with what was happening with the rest of the defense.

btw Fewell is not just a Booth coach, remember he remained D-Coordinator when he became interim head coach and was calling the defensive plays from the sideline, with alot of success, so him being on the sideline is no real issue imho

Last edited by Big_Pete : 01-20-2010 at 04:08 AM.