Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Green Bay Packers Team Forum

Green Bay Packers Team Forum Discuss the Cheeseheads

Old 01-14-2010, 08:59 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What are your guys thoughts on Ryan Pickett do you see GB giving him a new deal or letting him walk with B.J. Raji taking over NT full time?
Old 01-14-2010, 09:00 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat View Post
What are your guys thoughts on Ryan Pickett do you see GB giving him a new deal or letting him walk with B.J. Raji taking over NT full time?
They're working on a deal with Pickett and he has said that he'd love to end his career here

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:10 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Then is B.J. Raji a DE now?
Old 01-14-2010, 09:12 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Then is B.J. Raji a DE now?
He rotates between DE and NT...he's flexible enough to give pretty much anyone along the line a break, assuming he's not a starter right away next year.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:04 AM    (permalink
johbur
Pro Bowler

johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

From Lombardi: "They had the No. 2-ranked defense in the NFL, but in each of their six losses, they gave up more than 30 points a game."

That's pretty telling the problems laying in front of the team before making the next level are on the defense. I absolutely want Pickett back, especially if he's willing to be the primary back-up if Raji works hard this off-season. The Pickett, Jenkins, Raji, Jolly rotation was pretty incredible. Not sure what's gonna happen with Jolly, but that foursome coming back would be a great foundation for the team. Another "Harrell is rehabbing" article shows TT still trying to save face with that stiff. Toss in Wynn and Montgomery as upgradeable back-ups and this group looks good for the next year.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:11 AM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlgb1 View Post
my wish list:

donovan warren/parrish cox
draft LT to replace clifton
TJ lang at LG replacing colledge
Richard seymour to replace jolly
someone to replace brad jones. for all the good press he has got, its surprising to me how bad he is
What has Jolly done to warrent being replaced? Not too mention that theres no way Seymour is going to leave Oakland because Al Davis can't afford to let him walk after trading a 1st round pick for him.

I disagree with you on Jones too. He is what he is and thats not a bullrusher. He's not terrible but obviously has his limitations like any other player.

Quote:
Latest reports were that the Packers and Pickett's agents have been in talks for about a month now. I think its going to come down to money though. If he takes a reasonable offer he'll be back but I doubt he'll get starting money because Raji's load will increase next year.

Last edited by cvv84 : 01-15-2010 at 10:14 AM.
cvv84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:27 AM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What are the chances Pickett signs before a new CBA? Anyone have a guess?

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:30 AM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
What are the chances Pickett signs before a new CBA? Anyone have a guess?
I doubt they reach a new CBA. That would give us 2 transition tags too so we could always tag him and since he's a former 1st round pick, any team that signed him would give their 1st rounder to us. I think thats enough to deter teams and not make a huge financial committment to Pickett seeing Raji is in the wings.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:28 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvv84 View Post
I doubt they reach a new CBA. That would give us 2 transition tags too so we could always tag him and since he's a former 1st round pick, any team that signed him would give their 1st rounder to us. I think thats enough to deter teams and not make a huge financial committment to Pickett seeing Raji is in the wings.
I like the way that sounds.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:21 PM    (permalink
johbur
Pro Bowler

johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think they'll hammer out a deal. Either way, we have the cap space to re-sign our players and still bring in a Woodson level free agent.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:24 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pickett is another one of those good character guys who wanted to come to Green Bay.
He's a non-flashy, non-attitude type of guy. He's a lot younger than Pat Williams who's still very effective for the Grape Apes, so I think Pickett has some big value to us for a few more years. I expect they get him taken care of and can use the tags on other guys. It seems Nick Collins is the tricky one to get done doesn't it?
Old 01-16-2010, 11:25 AM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
Pickett is another one of those good character guys who wanted to come to Green Bay.
He's a non-flashy, non-attitude type of guy. He's a lot younger than Pat Williams who's still very effective for the Grape Apes, so I think Pickett has some big value to us for a few more years. I expect they get him taken care of and can use the tags on other guys. It seems Nick Collins is the tricky one to get done doesn't it?
Collins is likely going to be a restricted free agent so he's going to be back next year.

The problem is that there could be a lockout in 2011 so its looking like the Packers don't want to committ alot of money to the players if they aren't going to be playing. Thats where placing the transition tag on Pickett makes alot of sense. If there's a lockout we aren't paying him and if we can draft another guy who can play DE/DT then we could possibly trade Pickett.
cvv84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:26 PM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

IMO the best way to upgrade our defense would be in the secondary. Corners and safeties. In the games we got beat it was because we ran a lot of exotic blitzes, and we ran a lot of exotic blitzes because we simply couldn't count on Jarrett Bush to cover Early Doucet or Atari Bigby to cover Ben Patrick. The only guys in our secondary that can cover are Woodson, Collins and Williams who should be a nickel guy. Our linebackers are fine: CM3 is everything you want, Barnett and Hawk can cover better than most ILBs and Barnett is a decent blitzer and run stopper, and Brad Jones is an all around average player who will probably get better. Most good 3-4 defenses don't have 2 stud OLBs anyway, although I'm not against the idea in any way. We just don't have bodies in the secondary to line up against 3+ WR sets so our only choice was to blitz. Because we were playing Warner, perhaps the best in the entire league at beating the blitz, we got torched. Favre is also one of the best in the league at beating the blitz and he torched us too.

Thanks to BK for the sig
umphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:03 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by umphrey View Post
IMO the best way to upgrade our defense would be in the secondary. Corners and safeties. In the games we got beat it was because we ran a lot of exotic blitzes, and we ran a lot of exotic blitzes because we simply couldn't count on Jarrett Bush to cover Early Doucet or Atari Bigby to cover Ben Patrick. The only guys in our secondary that can cover are Woodson, Collins and Williams who should be a nickel guy. Our linebackers are fine: CM3 is everything you want, Barnett and Hawk can cover better than most ILBs and Barnett is a decent blitzer and run stopper, and Brad Jones is an all around average player who will probably get better. Most good 3-4 defenses don't have 2 stud OLBs anyway, although I'm not against the idea in any way. We just don't have bodies in the secondary to line up against 3+ WR sets so our only choice was to blitz. Because we were playing Warner, perhaps the best in the entire league at beating the blitz, we got torched. Favre is also one of the best in the league at beating the blitz and he torched us too.
True, true, and true. But I am pretty sure there will be a few CB's available in free agency that will be A) instantly better than another Pat Lee/Ahmad Carroll/Brandon Underwood and B) safer than a draft pick. CB's are so hard to project into the NFL.

I don't know what Capers thinks of Brad Jones and Cyril Obiozor's future, but I think Capers likes Jones. Didn't he compare him to someone he used to coach who was a Pro Bowler? I forgot the guy's name though.

I learned last year, when we had the great DBs with Woodson and Harris and Collins, and went into New Orleans all hyped up of our great DBs against their great WRs that to stop a great QB, passrush is more important than talented cover guys. That's why I wish Michael Lombardi was running our war room on draft day.