Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 01-03-2010, 06:12 PM    (permalink
Dr. Gonzo
Icon

Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Went to Chapters (Big Canadian Bookstore) after work yesterday. After reading the Carlin book my love for literature has been rekindled. I bought myself a membership card so I get 10 percent off each purchase and I picked up a couple books:

Got some good deals on them too and they both work well as light reading at work.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:19 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What I've been reading lately...

Old 01-05-2010, 01:49 PM    (permalink
slightlyaraiderfan
All-NFLDC

slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

my copy isn't as old though...
Old 01-05-2010, 09:36 PM    (permalink
Marcus Aurelius
Rookie

Marcus Aurelius needs more cowbell.

Just got done reading this. Pretty moving stuff, the happiness of our life is moved through the thoughts we allow ourselves to ponder. Educate and guard accordingly.

Marcus Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:02 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think I've ever heard someone describe The Republic as "moving".
Old 01-05-2010, 10:30 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
I don't think I've ever heard someone describe The Republic as "moving".
yeah... moving my bowels

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:33 PM    (permalink
fischbowl
All-NFLDC

fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oh Eugenides and your masterful narration

<+fenikz> "**** the Police, ride my fischstache bitches"
fischbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:50 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just started this so far so good I love James Patterson I like books to be fasted paced with short chapters and he is great at it.
Splat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 04:45 PM    (permalink
Marcus Aurelius
Rookie

Marcus Aurelius needs more cowbell.

Very good list of books coming out in 2010:
http://www.themillions.com/2010/01/m...k-preview.html

Really looking forward to The Pale King in 2011 though:
“The subject of the novel is boredom. The opening of the book instructs the reader to go back and read the small type they skipped on the copyright page, which details the battle with publishers over their determination to call it fiction, when it’s all 100% true. The narrator, David Foster Wallace, is at some point confused with another David F. Wallace by IRS computers, pointing to the degree to which our lives are filled with irrelevant complexity.”
Marcus Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 04:54 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

All the posthumous releases...Bolano, Larsson, Wallace...
Old 01-09-2010, 06:15 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius View Post
Very good list of books coming out in 2010:
http://www.themillions.com/2010/01/m...k-preview.html
Quote:
The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ by Philip Pullman: Pullman (famous for his His Dark Materials children’s series) will once again be courting controversy with this new book. According to The Guardian, “The book will provide a new account of the life of Jesus, challenging the gospels and arguing that the version in the New Testament was shaped by the apostle Paul."
sounds interesting

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:18 PM    (permalink
Whistler6
Pro Bowler

Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Kind of embarassed to admit that I read the entire book, but I made a deal with my younger 10 year old sister. She has to read a couple of books for school and I got her to read the City of Bones by Classandra Clary...She said she'd finish it if I read the whole thing with her.

It's considered "Young Adult" and Urban/Science Fiction Fantasy. It's like a mix of Harry Potter, the Ergaon series, and a some Twilight all in one. I bitterly despise Twilight and refuse to see or read the series, but because I have some sort of weird obsession with finishing books I've started, I am going to read the next 2 books in the Clary - Mortal Instruments series...City of Glass, and City of Ashes.

Decently interesting if you into that kind of genre, but definitely deserves the teen reading level it has. Uhhhh.

Whistler6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:42 PM    (permalink
Philliez01
All-Pro

Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just read An Unfinished Life: JFK by Dallek and on Andrew Jackson: American Lion by Meachem. Pretty good reads on both of them for those interested.

Give JKPIGSKIN credit for this masterpiece
Philliez01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:56 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Finished The Windup Girl last week. Really interesting book. Very interesting story. There wasn't much that has really stuck with me, but it did live up to it's billing as being one of the better books to come out in it's genre last year.

Currently reading Nova Swing by M. John Harrison. It's kind of a mess. There's good in there, but the book makes very, very, very little sense for pages and pages at a time. You have a pretty good idea about what's going on in the book, but it would be sooo much better if there was a bit more clarity. Haze as a literary device is nice, but not this much. Still, the writing is good.

How are you liking Book of the New Sun Paranoidmoonduck? I enjoyed that one. Never finished it. Had some bad reading habits at the time so I put it down for an extended period of time and just never finished it. But Gene Wolfe is really good.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 12:03 AM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
How are you liking Book of the New Sun Paranoidmoonduck? I enjoyed that one. Never finished it. Had some bad reading habits at the time so I put it down for an extended period of time and just never finished it. But Gene Wolfe is really good.
I'm not sure how I feel about his storytelling or his characters. I'm barely out of the first quarter of the book though, so I need more perspective. The prose, however, is ************* fantastic. This is the first thing I've ever read by Wolfe, but I've been really impressed. It's really rare you find science fiction or fantasy that reads like this book does (some early Neal Stephenson...maybe).

So yeah, I like it so far.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:44 PM    (permalink
irishbucsfan
Rookie

irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anyone here read the Wheel Of Time series?

"Frosties are corn flakes for people who can't face reality"
irishbucsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 02:50 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just got the entire Sherlock Holmes collection of novels and short stories from Amazon. I'm excited.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:58 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So I know someone mentioned the movie in the movie thread, but has anyone read The Road?

It's really weird because I saw it in a store and wanted to get it, and then later that day someone mentioned the movie on here. Anyways, it looks interesting and has gotten a lot of good reviews. Plus, I like "post apocalyptic" themes.
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 03:44 PM    (permalink
Whistler6
Pro Bowler

Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post
So I know someone mentioned the movie in the movie thread, but has anyone read The Road?

It's really weird because I saw it in a store and wanted to get it, and then later that day someone mentioned the movie on here. Anyways, it looks interesting and has gotten a lot of good reviews. Plus, I like "post apocalyptic" themes.
The novel is excellent, better than the movie in my opinion...The movie definitely does the bleak and hopeless feelings of the book justice, but you can never really beat the original thing.

The complete and utter hopefullness of the man and boy's situation is instantly felt from the beginning, and you can't help but root for their survival. The movie portrays it well, except for leaving a few things out like a dead baby's head stuck on a spike.

This is an excerpt from an EW.com review with a few quotes from the book that describes the entire story in a paragraph. It grabs you right away.

Quote:
''The frailty of everything revealed at last,'' the man thinks. And with that frailty, so its forever-lost beauty, which torments him daily: the pinholes in a mantel that once held Christmas stockings; the ''quaint concerns'' in a salvaged newspaper; the memory of the theater where he once heard music with his wife. By night, he dreams of the old earth; by day, he and the boy struggle onward through the ash, repetitively asking and answering the same few primal questions: Are we still the good guys (the man in fact may no longer be)? What, if anything, do we owe our fellow creatures? Are we going to die? Would we be better off dead? To this last one, the boy's mother answered with suicide, announcing to the man, ''I am done with my own whorish heart.''

Old 01-16-2010, 03:48 PM    (permalink
Whistler6
Pro Bowler

With the whole Late Night/NBC fiasco going on right now and if your even mildly interested in guys like Leno, David Letterman, and Andy Kaufman and where they started, it's worth reading. The book focuses on the Comedy Strike of 1979 and takes you into the lives of many of the up and coming comedians of the time. I loved it...But it made me hate Jay Leno even more.

Old 01-16-2010, 04:33 PM    (permalink
ironman4579
All-Pro

ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
WWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFF!!!

i am literally gonna kick a baby to death!
ironman4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 04:39 PM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just started this beast

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
<TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that
The Unseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 04:41 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishbucsfan View Post
Anyone here read the Wheel Of Time series?
If you're contemplating it, I would strongly urge against it.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:31 AM    (permalink
irishbucsfan
Rookie

irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
If you're contemplating it, I would strongly urge against it.
Really? I've read all 12 so far and I think they're pretty amazing. What don't you like about them?

"Frosties are corn flakes for people who can't face reality"
irishbucsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 03:14 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishbucsfan View Post
Really? I've read all 12 so far and I think they're pretty amazing. What don't you like about them?
The fact that the whole series could have been about 4 book long and covered all the important parts of the story?