Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Tampa Bay Buccaneers Team Forum

Tampa Bay Buccaneers Team Forum Discuss the Bucs

Old 01-06-2010, 12:52 AM    (permalink
ABoyNamedSuh
Rookie

ABoyNamedSuh could make a wolverine purr.ABoyNamedSuh could make a wolverine purr.ABoyNamedSuh could make a wolverine purr.ABoyNamedSuh could make a wolverine purr.ABoyNamedSuh could make a wolverine purr.ABoyNamedSuh could make a wolverine purr.ABoyNamedSuh could make a wolverine purr.
Default Where do you get your Buccaneer info?

What sites do you frequent?

Please tell me that none of you post on the "Official Buc Bulletin Board". That place is a den of azzholes, if you ask me.

Personally, I frequent:

www.bucsblitz.com

http://www2.tbo.com/sports/bucs/

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/football/bucs/

www.OrlandoSentinel.com

www.espn.com

Last edited by ABoyNamedSuh : 01-06-2010 at 01:01 AM.
ABoyNamedSuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:57 AM    (permalink
ABoyNamedSuh
Rookie

ABoyNamedSuh could make a wolverine purr.ABoyNamedSuh could make a wolverine purr.ABoyNamedSuh could make a wolverine purr.ABoyNamedSuh could make a wolverine purr.ABoyNamedSuh could make a wolverine purr.ABoyNamedSuh could make a wolverine purr.ABoyNamedSuh could make a wolverine purr.

Speaking of websites, just found this story regarding our offseason:

Top Priorities

WHERE'S THE BEEF?
When you finish last out of 32 teams in stopping the run, it's obvious your defensive line needs an overhaul. Fortunately for the Bucs, defensive tackle may be the deepest position in the 2010 draft, led by Nebraska's Ndamukong Suh and Oklahoma's Gerald McCoy. If veteran DT Ryan Sims returns next year, there's no way he will start all 16 games for a front that was pushed around way too often this fall. Look for DE Jimmy Wilkerson to return to his previous role as a versatile, valuable reserve.

JUST MY IMAGINATION

Greg Olson, who didn't even interview for the vacant offensive coordinator position last January, struggled as a last-minute replacement for Jeff Jagodzinski. By the time Olson committed to the run, the Bucs were 1-12. Sunday's play-calling against Atlanta appeared uninspired, in sharp contrast to the creative game plan Tampa Bay executed deftly at Seattle and New Orleans.

SAFETY ISSUES

If the Bucs don't land either Suh or McCoy with the third overall pick, Tennessee S Eric Berry is a strong possibility. Tanard Jackson is a young, hard-hitting safety on the rise, but Sabby Piscitelli turned in an unimpressive season in his first full year as a starter, marked by too many bad angles and a slew of missed tackles.

MOVING TARGETS

With Michael Clayton still remarkably unproductive and Antonio Bryant's future in Tampa clouded by health and contract issues, the Bucs must find some reliable receivers for Josh Freeman. Sammie Stroughter was a steal in the seventh round, but Freeman needs big targets who can gain separation in a hurry.

COACHING CORNER

Even with Raheem Morris returning, his staff probably won't look the same. Special teams coach Rich Bisaccia, still under contract, wants to leave and pursue other opportunities. New offensive line coach Pete Mangurian failed to bring out the best in a unit that was billed as a team strength. Young linemen like T Jeremy Trueblood and G Davin Joseph regressed in 2009 and Sunday's manhandling by Atlanta's defensive line was embarrassing.

STAR QUALITY

Few NFL teams are as anonymous as the Bucs, who could be denied a prime-time game for the second consecutive year when schedules are announced in April. A roster once stocked with flamboyant Pro Bowlers has no national profile and Tampa Bay needs some flair to attract fans and create a buzz.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2010 Free Agents

Unrestricted Free Agents

S Will Allen - Special teams captain provides depth at safety
WR Antonio Bryant - Tampa Bay's best receiver the past two seasons
LB Angelo Crowell - Third-string linebacker before season-ending injury
S Jermaine Phillips - Injury prone veteran provides leadership
DL Jimmy Wilkerson - Bucs are high on him, but still determining value
WR Mark Bradley* - Could provide depth at a position that sorely needs it
WR Brian Clark* - Good special teams player and backup receiver
LB Matt McCoy* - Solid backup, but Bucs will not overpay for his services
LT Donald Penn* - Consistent, but Bucs want him to lose weight
LB Barrett Ruud* - New face of the defense wants security
WR Maurice Stovall* - Showed glimpses of promise, could start next season
RT Jeremy Trueblood* - Picks up untimely penalties, but is too valuable to lose
RB Cadillac Williams* - Emotional heart and soul of the offense

Restricted Free Agents

RB Clifton Smith - Pro Bowl resume means Bucs will have to pay him
FB Byron Storer - Too many injuries, expendable because of Chris Pressley
LB Rod Wilson - Could play special teams if healthy in 2010

*-Denotes player scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent if a new collective bargaining agreement is reached prior to March. Without a new CBA, the NFL goes into an uncapped season and player becomes a restricted free agent.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2010 Draft Picks

No. Rd. Overall Team
1. 1st 3rd Bucs
2. 2nd 35th Bucs
3. 2nd TBA (42 or 44) Bucs (from Chicago)
4. 3rd 67th Bucs
5. 4th 99th Bucs
6. 5th TBA Bucs (from New England)
7. 6th TBA Bucs
8. 7th TBA Bucs
9. 7th TBA Bucs (from Baltimore)
10. Conditional Bucs (from Jacksonville)

The Bucs have a total of 10 draft picks in the 2010 NFL Draft. The Bucs previously traded DE Marques Douglas to Baltimore for a 2009 seventh-round pick (233rd overall, WR Sammie Stroughter) and a 2010 seventh-round pick. The Bucs also traded TE Alex Smith to the New England Patriots for a fifth-round selection. Tampa Bay added another selection after trading QB Luke McCown to Jacksonville for a conditional draft pick in 2010. Bucs also traded DE Gaines Adams to Chicago for a 2010 second-round draft choice. That pick will be determined by a coin toss at this year's NFL Scouting Combine.

Key NFL Dates

Jan. 30: Senior Bowl, Mobile, Ala.
Feb. 7: Super Bowl XLIV at Land Shark Stadium, Miami
Feb. 24-March 2: Scouting Combine, Indianapolis
March 5: Free agency begins
March 21-24: Annual meeting, Orlando
April 22-24: 2010 draft

2010 Opponents
Dates and times will be announced in the spring, but Tampa Bay knows which teams it will play in 2010. As always, the Bucs will play NFC South rivals Atlanta, Carolina and New Orleans twice each. The league's schedule rotation calls for the NFC South to play the AFC North and NFC West. And the Bucs' last-place finish pits them against last-place teams from the two remaining NFC divisions, Detroit in the NFC North and Washington in NFC East.

Home - St. Louis, Seattle, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Carolina, Atlanta, New Orleans
Away - Arizona, San Francisco, Baltimore, Cincinnati, Washington, Carolina, Atlanta, New Orleans

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/jan...e/sports-bucs/

Last edited by ABoyNamedSuh : 01-06-2010 at 12:59 AM.
ABoyNamedSuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:07 AM    (permalink
ABoyNamedSuh
Rookie

Found this too:

Tampa Bay Buccaneers younger but better? Maybe, maybe not

By John Romano, Times Sports Columnist
In Print: Tuesday, January 5, 2010

TAMPA At this time a year ago, the quarterback was 38. Today, the new quarterback is 21.

Back then, the outside linebackers were 36 and 29. Today, they are 25 and 22. Two of the receivers were 37 and 33. Their replacements are 24 and 23. The cornerback that got away was 29. The one who replaced him is 23. Placekicker has gone from 34 to 23.

None of this happened by accident, of course. The Buccaneers, under Mark Dominik and Raheem Morris, made the choice shortly after taking over in January 2009 that the team needed a fresh look and even fresher legs.

Now that we know Dominik and Morris are sticking around, how much will the choices they made in 2009 benefit them in 2010? It surely didn't make the Bucs a competitive team last season, but the change from the Jon Gruden regime was made with the long term in mind.

The only way a 3-13 season is remotely palatable particularly if you're spending hundreds of dollars for tickets every week is if something tangible was gained besides a last-place finish. In this case, did the Bucs find the correct answers for the future?

Naturally, the answer is not a blanket yes or no. In some cases, the Bucs got younger and better. At other positions, they simply got younger with no current hope of getting better. Here, then, is a breakdown of what the Bucs learned in 2009, both good and bad.

Linebackers

Nothing caused more of a commotion in the offseason than the coach's and GM's choice to release Derrick Brooks and Cato June. Brooks is a future Hall of Famer and one of the three best players to ever wear a Tampa Bay uniform. June was a coveted free-agent acquisition and the supposed heir to Brooks' reign as Tampa Bay's premier linebacker.

Yet the decision to release both 11 months ago was more than justified by the performances of Geno Hayes and Quincy Black. Even if, ironically, Morris and Dominik underestimated what they had in Hayes.

The initial plan was for Black to take over June's spot at strongside linebacker and Jermaine Phillips to move from strong safety to Brooks' spot at weakside linebacker to make room for Sabby Piscitelli in the secondary. (More on that later.) But when free safety Tanard Jackson was suspended for the season's first four games, Phillips went back to the secondary and Hayes became a starting linebacker.

And all Hayes did was finish with more tackles, more sacks, more interceptions and more stops behind the line of scrimmage than Brooks did in 2008. That doesn't mean Hayes will be a better player than Brooks. There haven't been many of those on the planet. But it does suggest that Hayes, at 22, is better than Brooks was at 36. And the Bucs now have Hayes for the foreseeable future.

Black did not have as big an impact as Hayes, but he had comparable stats to June while playing in a less glamorous spot at strongside linebacker. He may not have star power, but he probably has a good grip on the position for the future.

Defensive ends

No one is crying about letting Kevin Carter depart or trading Gaines Adams. On the other hand, I'm not seeing many Stylez White or Jimmy Wilkerson jerseys around town. White and Wilkerson are adequate pass rushers, but the Bucs still need help at defensive end.

Defensive tackle

In this case, the Bucs may have erred by not making sweeping changes. When Jovan Haye left via free agency, he was replaced by his backup Ryan Sims. Chris Hovan remained beside him on the interior line. One or both will likely be replaced in 2010.

Secondary

Turns out, losing Phillip Buchanon to free agency was not a big deal because Aqib Talib needed to be in the starting lineup. The way he played in 2009, Talib looks like he has Pro Bowls in his future.

Meanwhile, Piscitelli looks like he has special teams in his future. The new strong safety had too many bad reads, too many poor angles and too many missed tackles. Tampa Bay may consider moving Phillips back to strong safety, but he is a free agent who will be 31 with recent seasons interrupted by broken forearms, a thumb and a wrist.

Receivers

Hard to find fault with the departures of Joey Galloway and Ike Hilliard, but the Bucs did little to solidify their future here. Sammie Stroughter was a nice acquisition for the seventh round, but Antonio Bryant is a free agent and you can't count on Michael Clayton and Maurice Stovall. Next to defensive tackle, this may be the most glaring need on the team.

Quarterback

Again, Morris and Dominik made mistakes here but ultimately got it right. Bringing in Byron Leftwich did little besides take snaps away from younger quarterbacks in the preseason. In retrospect, the Leftwich move made no sense. If the season was all about building a younger, stronger team for the future, why muddy the waters with a retread quarterback?

Still, the coach and GM were willing to do what the previous regime had not. They spent a first-round pick on a quarterback and sacrificed their place in the standings today for the hope of a brighter future.

Ultimately, that is what Josh Freeman provides.

And it may, one day, be the reward for 2009.

John Romano can be reached at romano@sptimes.com.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/footb...be-not/1063104
Old 01-06-2010, 02:02 AM    (permalink
Me Likey Rookies
Veteran

Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am on PewterReport.com a lot. The forum on there is pretty good too, but a lot of negativity lately (but not nearly as much as the official board).
Old 01-06-2010, 01:22 PM    (permalink
Legacy
Veteran

Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have been a member of the "official" board for over three years and I have over 13,000 posts there under this same name. It's actually not such a bad place. Some of the posters in the draft forum are better than the scouts the Bucs have (which might not being saying much, since the Buc's scouts stink).

It's a great source for news, too. The members there have gotten the scoop on team news before the Pewter Report (which I hate) several times this year. ESPN.com, NFL.com and this site are the only other sites I go to for my team and NFL news.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:30 PM    (permalink
bigbuc
Veteran

bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

you guys go to joebucsfan.com?
bigbuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:41 PM    (permalink
ABoyNamedSuh
Rookie

never heard of it
Old 01-07-2010, 03:41 PM    (permalink
Legacy
Veteran

Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuc View Post
you guys go to joebucsfan.com?
I've heard of it, but didn't really like the site. People who refer to themselves in the third person irritate me.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:22 PM    (permalink
ABoyNamedSuh
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy View Post
Legacy has heard of it, but Legacy didn't really like the site. People who refer to themselves in the third person irritate Legacy.
O rly? lol
Old 01-07-2010, 05:31 PM    (permalink
TornadoRex
Rookie

TornadoRex smells like sex panther.

Hey Legacy!

I'm also a regular member over on the official boards... They're rough at times, so you develop a thick skin pretty quickly or you flame out. I'm really a nice person, but sometimes you have to be the bad guy to get the point across. I get along with many members over there, and the ones that I don't... I generally try to avoid or I call them out if I can't.

The amount of discussion possible, though, has no competition. It's family-friendly, moderated fairly (even though many dispute this, but they probably never read the welcome message with the board rules, lol), and most are gracious if you contribute to well thought-out discussion rather than posting something stupid.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:36 PM    (permalink
Legacy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABoyNamedSuh View Post
O rly? lol
Yeah... Really. :p

Hey, TornadoRex. :)
Old 01-08-2010, 06:04 AM    (permalink
irishbucsfan
Rookie

irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hey TornadoRex & Legacy!

I'll throw my opinion out there and agree that the TBBBB at its best is without peer in terms of informed high quality discussion. There's a sizeable crop of long time, thoughtful, articulate fans. I've never been an internet socialiser but I would love the chance to meet any of a bunch of people over there for a beer if I'm ever in the Florida some time.

"Frosties are corn flakes for people who can't face reality"
irishbucsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:30 PM    (permalink
bigbuc
Veteran

bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I've heard of it, but didn't really like the site. People who refer to themselves in the third person irritate me.
Gets under my skin too...
bigbuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 02:20 PM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I have been a member of the "official" board for over three years and I have over 13,000 posts there under this same name. It's actually not such a bad place. Some of the posters in the draft forum are better than the scouts the Bucs have (which might not being saying much, since the Buc's scouts stink).

It's a great source for news, too. The members there have gotten the scoop on team news before the Pewter Report (which I hate) several times this year. ESPN.com, NFL.com and this site are the only other sites I go to for my team and NFL news.
I remember you over there. I haven't posted, or looked at the boards there, in ages. The only things that interested me were draft related but I found there were far too many people with no knowledge and it felt like a babysitting service. I found I was spending too much time defending or launching a counterattack and wasn't getting any real benefits from it.

You remember a poster named, JamesWilder32? He was a pretty smart guy.
brasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 04:24 PM    (permalink
Legacy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasho View Post
I remember you over there. I haven't posted, or looked at the boards there, in ages. The only things that interested me were draft related but I found there were far too many people with no knowledge and it felt like a babysitting service. I found I was spending too much time defending or launching a counterattack and wasn't getting any real benefits from it.

You remember a poster named, JamesWilder32? He was a pretty smart guy.
I remember him. I spend most of my time there in the OT and Draft sections now. There are several intelligent posters who contribute in the Draft section, but you're right that there are a lot of "casual fans" who really don't understand how Tampa's schemes work or even where prospects are ranked.

Hell, there are some morons over there who actually think we should take Tim Tebow third overall.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:51 AM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm sure there is... I'm JW32, btw.

I couldn't take it anymore over there... too many fellas that wouldn't listen to reason and thought Paris Warren was going to be in the hall-of-fame.
brasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:55 PM    (permalink
Legacy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasho View Post
I'm sure there is... I'm JW32, btw.

I couldn't take it anymore over there... too many fellas that wouldn't listen to reason and thought Paris Warren was going to be in the hall-of-fame.
Well, that's the case with most "official" team message boards. Most of the fans who contribute to those don't follow the team as closely as people who contribute to a non-mainstream forum such as this one.

If you want to see a bad "official" forum, though, go check out the Falcon's board. It's atrocious.