Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 03-03-2010, 03:57 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
The thing is with a fringe 1st round pick Jerry is notorious for doing 2 things. Drafting a top 20 guy who falls or moving back because the value between 25-40 usually isn't much. Jerry has proven time and time again he is ok with moving back if his board supports it. I don't see why it will be any different this year. Only first round no's we have imo are QB/RB/TE/OLB....all the others are open...thats pretty much BPA imo.
Oh is that what you meant? That Jerry would take BPA after a trade down? In that case, then sure. All bets are off. I've usually hated seeing him do it. He passes up on so much talent and then after the fact it becomes clear as day that the players between 25 and 40 are nothing alike... when he thinks they are.

When we traded out of Round 2 last year, it hurt... and the players available at our next pick in the 3rd were ridiculously way less talented.
D-Unit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:01 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think we'll go BPA at 27 outside of the positions that we are set at. Do we have a need? Unless we cut Hamlin and Flo before the draft or don't offer a tender to Spears we don't have one starting spot available on the roster. We will go BPA. At this point my best educated guess is that it'll be a WR like Benn or Tate.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:03 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I think we'll go BPA at 27 outside of the positions that we are set at. Do we have a need? Unless we cut Hamlin and Flo before the draft or don't offer a tender to Spears we don't have one starting spot available on the roster. We will go BPA. At this point my best educated guess is that it'll be a WR like Benn or Tate.
Speaking of a Top 20 player that falls.... Don't you agree that Taylor Mays is exactly that kind of player Jerry would fall head over heels for? ;)

YES, I still am hoping we land him in the first.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:16 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You're crazy, D. I'd be pissed.

Anyway, still waiting on those tender offers...damn near everyone has done their's. Of course we have to wait until the last day. grrrrr.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:25 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Speaking of a Top 20 player that falls.... Don't you agree that Taylor Mays is exactly that kind of player Jerry would fall head over heels for? ;)

YES, I still am hoping we land him in the first.
He is a top 20 player in the draft based off of measurables alone. Listening to him talk and his work ethic is pretty top notch. So yes I think it's easy to see how all GM's would like him. However it's the scouts that are going to have the issues...the guys breaking down the tape.

I think he will get a hard look if he is on the board at 27...and could easily be the pick...however I don't think he falls that far so I don't think we'll get to see that decision made.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 03-04-2010, 09:39 AM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Moving back can bite you in the ass

Quote:
The thing is with a fringe 1st round pick Jerry is notorious for doing 2 things. Drafting a top 20 guy who falls or moving back because the value between 25-40 usually isn't much. Jerry has proven time and time again he is ok with moving back if his board supports it. I don't see why it will be any different this year. Only first round no's we have imo are QB/RB/TE/OLB....all the others are open...thats pretty much BPA imo.
You're right about moving back, Dallas almost always takes the safe route by moving back for multiple picks, but sometimes it is done at the expense of team needs both real & imagined. There was much gnashing of teeth last yr. when their retro move cost them Jarron Gilbert who went to the Bears 1 slot ahead of their fallback position.

That was bad for the Cowboys & bad for Gilbert, who rarely saw the field in Chicago in their d-line rotation. He had shot up draft boards after his Pro Day, with his NFL lineman pedigree, & led the nation in TFLs his sr. yr. at SJ St. & IMO is rotting on the vine in Chicago, & will continue to do so if they acquire the most expensive FA DE in Peppers over the Skins who throw Snyder's $ at FAs like juju beads at Mardi Gras. Dallas could have found many uses for Gilbert last season during the Spears suckage & other DL inconsistencies, etc.
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:30 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

2nd round tender for Bowen, no word on the other guys yet. I actually think this tender is a little risky. Good 3-4 ends arent easy to come by and Bowen's a talented player. He'll probably get through but, I wouldnt be shocked if he receives some attention.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 03-04-2010, 04:25 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

edit...

Dallas tenders so far...

Miles Austin: 1st and 3rd
Sam Hurd: 2nd
Stephen Bowen: 2nd
Cory Procter: 2nd

We also signed Cletis Gordon to a one year ; $630,000 deal.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 03-04-2010 at 04:43 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:04 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So do we release Hamlin and Adams?
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 05:07 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

I dont think Adams is going anywhere but, Hamlin may be.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 03-04-2010, 05:23 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Alright, they're all done.

Miles Austin: 1st and 3rd
Sam Hurd: 2nd
Stephen Bowen: 2nd
Cory Procter: 2nd
Gerald Sensabaugh: 2nd
Jason Hatcher: 2nd
Pat Mcquistan: original draft pick
Junior Siavii: original draft pick
Marcus Spears: original draft pick (essentially a 2nd round)
Pat Watkins: original draft pick

Suisham: not tendered

Spears has been solid for us, but I dont think anyone would complain if he nets us a 2nd rounder.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 03-04-2010 at 05:27 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:17 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What do you guys think about giving our 1st for Jared Gaither? He's a big time left tackle and he's only 24 years old. Baltimore game him a 1st round tender only. IMO it would be a great move. Thoughts?

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:30 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

It's worth a look, the contract would be the real problem.

They have Oher to play LT so, they may actually want to move Gaither. One of the more interesting tenders.

I'd say it's unlikely but, something to look into. When we start talking about injuries and his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, he doesnt sound as attractive. Plus, this draft is very deep at T, as well.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 03-05-2010, 01:44 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

It was a weird move...this is what the Rams said about it.
Quote:
The team announced the move was made "with intent to sign...a long term contract." Atogwe has until June 1 to find an offer sheet elsewhere. If he doesn't, the Rams have to cut him or pay him nearly $7 million at that point. While Atogwe's play was down some, he remained St. Louis' top defensive back. The 29-year-old is sure to generate interest and a trade can't be ruled out.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 03-05-2010, 01:54 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

He's coming off a year in which he was on the IR...I doubt either side will be able to come to an agreement.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 03-05-2010, 02:07 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

We'll see. He's one of their few good players. If they really thought they'd lose him for nothing, I doubt they would have gave him that tender, as weird as that sounds. It will be interesting to see how it unfolds.

As for us...yay for Sammy. Now I dont want us to go WR because, that would more than likely mean his end as a Cowboy. Why not actually give him a real shot at PT this time? ugh.

The Spears tender is interesting...just because, he now officially makes less money than Bowen and Hatcher. Also at a 2nd round level, that's a price someone may pay for him. Like I said before, I think he's a solid enough 3-4 end but, no one will complain if we can get a 2nd for him. Everyone else seems safe with their tenders...maybe Bowen will get a look or two and maybe someone takes a flyer on Mcquistan for whatever reason but, that's probably it.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 03-05-2010 at 03:05 AM.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:44 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

I like how DMN trys to make a deal out of Spears getting the lower tender. It's a business...the return pick is just as high on the low tender for spears as the high tender. As far as the players making more..it's funny I think...but can't argue with the logic behind it.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 03-05-2010, 03:58 AM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Do whatever it takes to bring in OL help. We were beat in the playoffs by OL. This should be number one concern. I don't care, as long as OL is improved.

We have players every where else. Fix the OL and we are golden. Not to mention this draft seems deep all over. There is help all over in this draft. But OL is a must.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:01 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

The thing about landing a safety like OJ is that it means we don't have to waste a pick in the draft at the position. Whether it means leaving Ball as our 4th CB or drafting out of a deeper CB crop it makes the most sense. I don't expect us to do it right away...but i wouldn't be surprised to see us make an offer a week or so into it. Probably take a poison pill to get him away tho.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 03-05-2010, 09:03 AM    (permalink
JoeyHeisman
Rookie

JoeyHeisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeyHeisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeyHeisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeyHeisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeyHeisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeyHeisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeyHeisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeyHeisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeyHeisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeyHeisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeyHeisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Does Wade go after Jamal Williams, now that the Chargers have cut him loose?
JoeyHeisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:13 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I thought we could easily bring in Jamal Williams for cheap, but he'd almost have to play NT, I don't think he had much experience playing DE, and I don't know if it's worth it to bring him in for depth. But he is a Wade guy, and if he's cheap due to age and injury I'd probably be all for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:56 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
2nd round tender for Bowen, no word on the other guys yet. I actually think this tender is a little risky. Good 3-4 ends arent easy to come by and Bowen's a talented player. He'll probably get through but, I wouldnt be shocked if he receives some attention.
Give me a 2nd rounder for Bowen everyday of the week. I think you're overrating Bowen if you think any team is going to give up a 2nd rounder.

Give me that 2nd rounder in a mock draft and I'll take it to the BANK! :D
Old 03-05-2010, 12:03 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
What do you guys think about giving our 1st for Jared Gaither? He's a big time left tackle and he's only 24 years old. Baltimore game him a 1st round tender only. IMO it would be a great move. Thoughts?
Man, I remember wanting him badly in the supplemental draft.

I really like the guy still. This move would be much safer than drafting any of the first round OTs that would reach us. Hmmm.... I think it's much safer than testing out Free on the left too. Gaither on the left and Free on the right isn't a bad idea.

Because he's a proven commodity and a damn good player.... I would be ok with that trade.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:04 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I've wanted this for a long time....OJ is actually do able for us...god please let us make this move.

dmn blog
Good luck thule. I'm pulling for ya this time.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:07 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
The thing about landing a safety like OJ is that it means we don't have to waste a pick in the draft at the position. Whether it means leaving Ball as our 4th CB or drafting out of a deeper CB crop it makes the most sense. I don't expect us to do it right away...but i wouldn't be surprised to see us make an offer a week or so into it. Probably take a poison pill to get him away tho.
That's what is exciting about landing good players in FA. No matter what position, it helps eliminate draft needs and we can narrow down our draft focus.