Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 01-24-2010, 06:27 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Probably just a knee jerk reaction, but a second corner would be really nice.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 06:30 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is going to sound strange after watching that game, but I'm going to say no. Weren't Sheppard and Strickland hurt or something? I would have to think so given Drew Coleman's participation in the game.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 06:32 PM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

IMO, corner and pass rusher are our top 2 needs without a doubt

Sig by Me
JETS5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 06:46 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

We had the best pass defense all year long, I really don't think secondary is our biggest need. Having strickland go down was huge; if you noticed, they went right at Lito as soon as he was put in and than went to 3 and 4 WR sets all game long.

Bottom line was that Manning and Moore were able to pick up the blitz and take advantage of the matchup problems that were created.

I think a pass rusher is our biggest need. You can't expect our secondary to stop Manning when he's getting 4+ seconds to throw the ball. Manning was just brilliant in picking up our blitzes, absolutely fantastic.

Biggest play of the game was when Greene went down. Couldn't keep our defense rested and couldn't get anything on first and second downs with TJ.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
BroadwayJoe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 06:54 PM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I want to agree that corner isn't a big need, but Sheppard and Strickland consistently got hurt all year. What reason do we have to think next year will be any different?

Right now, I'm thinking pass rusher in round 1 and corner in round 2

Sig by Me

Last edited by JETS5128 : 01-24-2010 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:55 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Another corner so Dwight Lowery never plays again. My god he can't run with a receiver at all.
josh07039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 06:59 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think that corner is the biggest need on this team and who knows if it matches up with value at that selection, but generally teams try to figure out what their fatal flaw was and fix it in the offseason. In this case, I do think it was the corner play. Pass rush is obviously key but at the same time coverage on short passes was not tremendous either and I'm not sure where a pass rusher fits into the starting lineup right now. Lowery and Sheppard got beat repeatedly during the game and it's not like number 2 corner play was a strength all year. I think we had the top defense despite it, not because of it.

Sheppard is in all likelihood going to get cut, and we can't presume he's going to be back. I'm just not sure who fills in there. Defensive line could use help but I think later picks are going to be used on that because people around the team think we can plug guys into the scheme and make it work. But it hasn't worked at corner, and it's been an Achilles heel all season long, people will throw away from Revis and it doesn't help to have guys on the other side who are prone to getting picked on.

Again, I don't think it's the biggest need on the team, but when you look at spots where you can plug a guy in and say they're going to be starting, that's probably the most obvious one. Along with another weapon in the passing game, I think corner is the easiest weakness to fix outside of depth in other places. Will I be fine if we don't ignore it? Absolutely. Is this a knee jerk reaction to the game? Yes. But it just seems like all of the other positions that are being discussed are more depth related than corner, and I wonder if it's going to get addressed this offseason. I will say one thing, I bet we start seeing a lot of corners mocked to the Jets regardless of what happens.

The one thing I do like about our needs is none of them are absolutely critical and all of them are about even, so we don't have to totally focus on one spot. It could just be me, but we could go DE, OLB, CB, WR, or RT in the first round and if the value's good I'd be fine with it. Maybe even NT as well, though Pouha stepped up big time after losing Jenkins.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:03 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would think OLB is easily the most important position of need. Or, at least that'll be where we go with our first pick. I think DE is pretty important but I just don't see that as something we have to address that early. And since more than likely we're going to keep Braylon around, I doubt they use their first pick on a slot receiver (but we definitely need one). I think we need to draft a couple O-Linemen, but since no one has been a glaring weakness to them yet, I don't really see them spending our first pick on a back-up.

There are some really good corners for our system in free agency.

And this might be a mild blessing in disguise. Now Rex can recruit at the Pro Bowl (not really sure if any of those guys are free agents). And, they can focus on the Senior Bowl and all that.

In general though, if we want to have the identity Rex wants, I think we need some more players that play angry.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:43 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I don't think we go OLB early. I certainly wouldn't mind it, but I just don't see it given the signals that are going out. Pettine just was talking about Bryan Thomas and how great of an impact he's had this year and how awesome he's been doing the dirty work and stuff...Pace obviously isn't going anywhere. I agree the pass rush needs some help but I think they're content with who they have and happy with overloading sides and playing with coverages. It just seems that the team is alright with who they have there...benching Sheppard before this game sent a different message about corner. Like I said I wouldn't mind, and I obviously could be wrong, I just haven't seen anything that would indicate that to this point.

Also going to be a little tough in FA since we don't have a ton of UFA's and we can only sign as many as we lose to other teams...agree with everything you said about other positions though. Regardless, with the lack of clarity in terms of needs it will be really interesting to see how this offseason goes.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:01 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I see Scott observed us talking to Norwood. I guess I can cross him off the list of potential guys for us... but there's still hope for Brandon Graham!
Old 01-26-2010, 10:40 AM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
I see Scott observed us talking to Norwood. I guess I can cross him off the list of potential guys for us... but there's still hope for Brandon Graham!
Haha ya, I noticed that. Seems that there's a very slim chance a team takes the player they were observing. However, there seems to be a good indication of what type of player they may be looking at.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
BroadwayJoe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:41 PM    (permalink
msolimani
Rookie

msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.

I see us drafting heavy on the defensive side this year. Last year was all about the Offense and what a great draft it turned out to be. This year I think Rex will have more input and opt to draft defense with at least the first two picks. It might be tough for us to target a certain guy and trade up like we usually do because of our lack of draft picks and how late we are drafting in each round. Maybe we will move Rhodes and TJ to add some picks but who knows....
msolimani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:22 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Quote:
MOBILE, Ala. — Just because the Jets have arguably the best cornerback in the game right now, Darrelle Revis, does not mean that the team is necessarily content to stand pat in the defensive backfield.

I was on the Sirrius set with Pat Kirwan and Tim Ryan as they interviewed Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum, and he emphasized that the secondary is an important priority for coach Rex Ryan.

“Being around Rex for a year, you know you think he wants — obviously he’s a blitzer by nature — big, tough, physical guys,” Tannenbaum said. “But he loves the defensive backs and he loves to be versatile back there (in the secondary).”

Tannenbaum went on to explain that “inconsistency” was the reason for Lito Sheppard not getting the start in last Sunday’s AFC Championship Game against the Colts, and reiterated that Ryan likes to have multliple options at the cornerback position.

While Tannenbaum did not directly address anything about his team’s needs or who he is targeting in the draft, he did answer a question about Boise State’s Kyle Wilson, who is attracting some attention here at Ladd Peebles Stadium for both his coverage skills and ability as a returner.

“Those guys are invaluable. From the standpoint of on the 45-man roster, the more jobs you can do (the better),” Tannenbaum said. “I think he certainly will play for a long time, and he has good ball skills.”
http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/01/26/jets...fensive-backs/

Just a tidbit from the Senior Bowl. They also said we have a large contingent down there, including Rex Ryan. That's good to hear. I thought they'd be in Miami for the Pro Bowl or something. Actually, I'm not sure why they don't have to be, unless he's planning on not coaching the Pro Bowl or the practices have changed because of where the Pro Bowl now falls in the schedule.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:49 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

I take back what I said earlier. I don't think we'll go OLB in the first anymore. We might, but probably not. I still see it as a big need, but I'm not so sure things will fall that way. I'm more expecting WR, OL, or CB now.

But speaking of WR, I'm not sure about here, but I'm very surprised at thejetsblog a good majority of the people love our WR corps, love Braylon, and think it's crazy to go WR early. Is that crazy to you guys? I know it's not, but I'd like to hear from someone that's under that impression so I can see if there's anything to it beyond blind homerism.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:21 PM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

It's not crazy at all. You can never have enough weapons on offense and a good slot reciever can only help add to our O

Sig by Me
Old 02-13-2010, 02:55 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
I don't think we go OLB early. I certainly wouldn't mind it, but I just don't see it given the signals that are going out. Pettine just was talking about Bryan Thomas and how great of an impact he's had this year and how awesome he's been doing the dirty work and stuff...Pace obviously isn't going anywhere. I agree the pass rush needs some help but I think they're content with who they have and happy with overloading sides and playing with coverages. It just seems that the team is alright with who they have there...benching Sheppard before this game sent a different message about corner. Like I said I wouldn't mind, and I obviously could be wrong, I just haven't seen anything that would indicate that to this point.
Well, here is my question.

*IF* the Jets released Lito *AND* he was signed by another team, would that then allow the Jets to draft an cornerback and sign someone at OLB in free agency such as Joey Porter?
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 08:30 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Just wondering, but does anyone see FB as a possible wildcard position we could be drafting late? It's an important position in our offense and I really don't know how much longer T-Rich can be playing, so to me it seems like something that could happen unless one of the guys on the practice squad are going to fill that role. Personally, I'm only a fan of John Conner if we do go after someone.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:10 PM    (permalink
okay123
Rookie

okay123 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

a bunch of things have happened since the last time people posted in this thread, so i thought i'd give my new thoughts.

after the cromartie and rhodes trades, we have added a 4th rounder this year and not given up any of this year's picks, which is great. in my opinion, corner was our biggest need before getting cromartie, but now, all we need is another player for depth because i'm not sure if i'm comfortable with coleman as the dime.

safety is now our most pressing need by far. eric smith is a good backup, but cannot start for a full 16 game season. we could either trade back into round 2 and get someone like nate allen or trade up and get someone like earl thomas.

OLB is second on my list as we still don't have a premier pass rusher. maybe someone like jerry hughes, sergio kindle, or ricky sapp?

WR is 3rd because clowney didn't show me enough in the slot last season, and it would be great to get sanchez another weapon in the passing game. tate or benn could be had in the 1st. maybe shipley in the 2nd or jacoby ford in the 4th.

Defensive line depth is next. all of our starting defensive lineman are 30 or older, and our depth is serviceable with devito and pouha, but even pouha is around 30 as well. we definitely need an injection of youth throughout the line. cody and dan williams could be available in the 1st as a NT, while odrick or price could be there as well for the DE position. houston is rising up draft boards as well.

a recent hole that has been opened up is RB. i didn't like the move of cutting TJ because i think he could've been fine as depth and is a great leader in the locker room. however, now that he is gone, we might need to look in the 5th-7th rounds to replace him. i could see us taking joique bell in the 5th-6th as well as blount or stafon johnson.
okay123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 04:13 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

What safeties do you guys think would be good fits, and where do you think the position will get addressed (if at all)?
Old 03-07-2010, 06:25 PM    (permalink
okay123
Rookie

okay123 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
What safeties do you guys think would be good fits, and where do you think the position will get addressed (if at all)?
i think we have to address it in the draft because we are hindered by the final 8 rule. we need a ballhawking FS, so i think someone like earl thomas or nate allen would be a solid choice.

to get earl thomas, we'd need to trade up to the early 20s though, and we'd have to give up our 1st and 2nd rounders, and receive a 1st and a 4th in return. i don't know if i would like that.

to get nate allen, we could probably trade back into the early 2nd, and accumulate some more mid level picks, which would be great.

another option could be taylor mays, who i'm not a fan of, but i'm not sure where he'll go (could be anywhere from top 15 to out of the 1st).

i also remember hearing that we might make a move for antoine bethea, who has a 1st round tender. i personally don't think he is worth it, but it's a nice idea.
okay123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:12 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

I think our most pressing need is actually a pass rush. Safety is where we're most thin, and it's my favorite (and IMO most important) position on the defense, but I think it's far easy to hide a weakness at Safety than a weakness with a pass rush, and sometimes it was kind of painful for me to watch our guys try to muster up a pass rush. Plus, the NT and OLB positions are the most important in a 3-4, and an impact player off the edge makes a world of difference.

I'd say our needs go in the order of:
1. OLB
2. Safety
3. WR
4. RB
5. CB
6. DE
7. OL
8. FB

How the draft looks to be panning out, I'd like to see us draft them loosely in this order:
1. WR/OLB
2. WR/RB/S
3. WR/RB/S/CB/DE/OLB
4. CB/S/RB/DE/OLB/OL

I wouldn't say Bethea is worth it either. He's young and actually a perfect fit, but he'd probably command a decent amount of money and I feel we have to use our first rounder either at another position or to acquire more picks.

I think Earl Thomas is overrated, but on paper he's a good fit. I'm hoping we're not trying to trade up in the first though, so I'd be left to assume he's out of our reach. Taylor Mays, while an enforcer would be great, I see as just too great of a liability. He'd be perfect as a downhill force against the run, but I feel like he'd disallow some schematic versatility because of his limitations. Eric Berry would be perfect though. I'd really give up our entire draft and Leon for him and just say screw depth again. But that won't happen. Nate Allen just seems like an average player to me. Not too bad, nothing special. Major Wright is crap. Reshad Jones is overrated. He's an impressive athlete but he doesn't really know how to play. Chad Jones isn't committed to football. Morgan Burnett and Larry Asante are my two favorites for us, depending on what we're looking for. If we're looking for a ballhawk, a playmaker, a potential impact player, I think that's Burnett. I love him. He loves football, plays the game the right way, has range and athleticism, and can really do anything on the field. He just needs a little direction. As for Asante, he's not as talented, but he's a little bit more of an enforcer and he can more than hold his own in coverage. He has a natural instinct to go for the big hit than the pick, but he'd still be a real good player.

Last edited by thetedginnshow : 03-08-2010 at 02:00 AM.
thetedginnshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:45 AM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really don't want a trade up unless we can find someone as stupid as Mangini to give as a pick for nothing again. The 2 first round safeties other than Berry just seem to not be worth giving up draft depth for. I don't know how much of a difference Earl Thomas will make over a guy like Nate Allen. And as for Mays, I would be excited to get him, but he is such a risk.

I think the Jets should probably sit where they are and hope that either Thomas or Mays fall into the 20s and if they have to trade up a few picks with the Rhodes fourth. Or as I would prefer, just trade down out of the first for Nate Allen as someone else suggested.

Also, while it wouldn't be ideal at all, we could draft a mid round safety who would be passable but not a play maker (I have an unreasonable love for Myron Rolle even with the 4.7). Then we could draft another corner in the second and convert Lowery to safety and rotate the three guys (Smith, Lowery, and draft pick). I've said it many times, I believe that Lowery is physical enough and has ball skills to be a safety. His big issue as a corner is that he just can't run with receivers. Maybe we catch lightning in a bottle and he becomes a good safety.
josh07039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:03 PM    (permalink
Young Nasty Man
Veteran

Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.

I always tend to post only around draft time and I am going to give some thoughts on trading up:

1. Is always a possibility the way Tannenbaum drafts. Last year we traded up to 5 and traded up for Shonn Greene. I have a feeling unless something drops around 17 or higher, we won't trade up because at our draft slot, its way too many points and most of our trading options that we'd be willing to part with are gone.

2. Safety is a pressing need but I see us struggling to get one of the top 3 guys. While I am a huge fan of Taylor May and he would be a great guy to drop in the box, he is such a big boom bust and after Gholston, I really struggle on the idea of physical freaks and as stated before too much of a liability. Oddly enough, this could wind up being an Al Davis pick. Eric Berry seems to be the only "safe" Safety pick but his value is too high at this point.
Earl Thomas is overrated. Maybe a good pick but not great in my eyes. I have an easier time taking Nate Allen in the 2nd or 3rd round and trading up then, then selling our whole draft for an Eric Berry or Taylor Mays.

3. This is a bit of a gamble yet deepish receiver draft. I would love to see us take a receiver in the first and build a legitimate deep threat for Sanchez. I don't care what people say but Cotcherry is arguably one of the best possession receivers. Obviously I am a major homer, but he makes all the catches and the last three games (especially), he always had two feet in and two hands on the ball. We gotta get a stretch guy. I would love Golden Tate with freakish speed and his work ethic is immense. Some people have Benn higher then him and some have Tate higher then Benn. I just feel like if Tate is on the board within our range, we pull the trigger.

I really wouldn't mind us taking a solid 3-4 DE in this draft high either but we gotta do something about the exterior front 7 for defense. I love Calvin Pace but I can't get my head around Bryan Thomas since he was first drafted. We all know Shaun Ellis is old as stone and Marques Douglas is done, we gotta find someone to fill this.

Via BoneKrusher
Young Nasty Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:08 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Once free agency dies down a bit, I was thinking of creating a sort of mock draft on our board that we can all help decide on the picks for so as to better help us figure out who might be available for the Jets' first rounder. I'm putting this here as a reminder.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:12 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

It's interesting because while there's a ton of positions I could see getting addressed with #29, I'm not sure how many fits there are that seem realistic. A lot of the guys are valued too high and may not be there or are more second round types that would be reaches. Not really seeing many fits at FS unless somebody falls or they reach for a Chad Jones type, CB seems to be out the window, I could see Ryan liking Cody so maybe if he slips, Tate seems to be the only late first WR to make sense unless they reach for Thomas, Odrick seems to be the only end who has a chance to land in the late first, and at OLB maybe they like Graham if he slips or Hughes would be a really nice pickup if he's around in that spot. Probably a couple of other guys who could make sense but the fits aren't great Iupati maybe if he's around just for value? I'm just not seeing a ton of options right now. Seems our needs match up with value better for the most part either earlier or later, but maybe it's just me.

Also I would LOVE Demaryius Thomas in the second round. Obviously he's not a sure thing but at that point I think he's more than worth the risk, in the first round it's definitely a gamble. He fits in pretty well though I think, especially with his blocking ability, and wouldn't be forced to start immediately.