Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Kansas City Chiefs Team Forum

Kansas City Chiefs Team Forum Discuss the Chiefs

Old 03-07-2010, 09:29 PM    (permalink
BPhilb
Veteran

BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.

I'm not a big believer in FA as a means of building a team, but I must say I'm a bit frustrated right now that we haven't done anything to speak of this year. We have spent no money in the last couple of years even though the taxpayers took on a rennovation of Arrowhead. I'm not really looking for a Bears type of spending spree, but man we have enough holes on this squad to at least take a flier on someone to help speed this process along. I like the young talent, but it seems like it's going to take forever before all of the guys mature to the point where we can contend again. What are your guy's thoughts?
BPhilb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:21 PM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPhilb View Post
I'm not a big believer in FA as a means of building a team, but I must say I'm a bit frustrated right now that we haven't done anything to speak of this year. We have spent no money in the last couple of years even though the taxpayers took on a rennovation of Arrowhead. I'm not really looking for a Bears type of spending spree, but man we have enough holes on this squad to at least take a flier on someone to help speed this process along. I like the young talent, but it seems like it's going to take forever before all of the guys mature to the point where we can contend again. What are your guy's thoughts?
It's possible you are underestimating the amount of talent you already have on your own team.

Offensively, I think Charlie Weis is going to turn that offense around regardless of the players (or lack there of) that you bring in. Also I think you'll see a large amount of growth out of Cassel with another year under his built and an offensive coordinator from training camp through the season.

Now, the defense might take a little bit more work, but if you can get on par with the league average by drafting 1 or 2 players to help slow down opposing offenses then I don't think you're to far away from fighting for a play off spot. Or at the very least, becoming a 7-8 win team next year with hope and promise for the future after that.

Obviously there are a lot of factors involved in a team's success, but I think the Chiefs have done a brilliant job with what they have control over.

I would say to just not worry about free agency. There weren't a lot of prospects that were a good fit for the Chiefs and I don't think any of them would have made that much of a difference anyways.
Bengalsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:46 PM    (permalink
BPhilb
Veteran

BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.

It's possible, and I'm excited to see what the coach's can do with the talent on hand but I'm not sure there is enough on the roster yet to be a playoff contender. Even after seemenly every player pulled out of the Pro Bowl no Chiefs were really in consideration. It's not the best guage, but it does say something. I just can't see us making any great strides if we are forced to start 3 or 4 rookies again. Your correct in the fact that this free agent class leaves a lot to be desired, but the city has done enough that making a play at a Peppers, Boldin, or Rolle seemed feasable and as far as I can see from reports we didn't make real hard efforts. Who knows, I've got a lot of trust in Pioli and have supported the rebuilding process, but it seems like when we are starting to move forward a little that we would bring in the help to hopefully expedite the move. This is a year in which in the AFC West appears to be up for grabs and I really want us to be in contention for it. I guess we will see how things transpire over the coming months.
BPhilb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:14 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The only FA I wanted out of this group (who wasn't tagged) was Karlos Dansby, but there is no way in hell I'd pay what he got.

Boldin would have been okay, but he's up there in age, and I didn't want Peppers anywhere near this team. Rolle is a liability at safety and I've heard a lot of Cards fans saying that they're glad he's gone. Is he an upgrade for us? Sure, but upgrading garbage with garbage is still garbage.

Most of the FAs were either bad fits, overpaid, or both.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 07:54 AM    (permalink
King Carls 5 Year Plan
Veteran

King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You know what it is. I"M TIRED OF LOSING!!! I'm tired of being the butt of jokes. When I was growing up watching this team, we were in the playoffs every year. Carl Peterson and Marty Schottenheimer had something going. Nobody wanted to come play in Arrowhead. NOBODY! Going to games was a special occasion. You had to have season tickets or know someone with season tickets.

I understand that the current Chiefs management are not on the hook for the last 10 years (minus 2003) of losing, but they are currently 4-12. I wish I was seeing them move more quickly for the turn around. The FAs we signed were our own. So, your telling me that not one FA WR fit into the scheme at least as well as Copper? We saw, last year, what he had to offer. What about Jackie Battle? Don't we know what he brings to the table. I'm not suggesting we go after all the high priced FAs, but even a couple of the lower level ones would help. Because I think we are all in agreement that the current Chiefs roster has to many holes to fill just through the draft.

I agree with BPhilb. With all the money the tax payer have paid for the "New Arrowhead Experience", I think most of us are waiting for a visual statement that they are trying. I know that may be unfair, but that's how it is. If we go into this year with a payroll near what we have had the last 2 years, I will be upset. The tax payers are taking it on the chin to build all this new stuff and in return we want to see the Chiefs try to become better. The last 2 years the Chiefs have been near the salary floor.
King Carls 5 Year Plan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 07:58 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This team isn't ready to make a big investment in FA. Pioli believes that big FA signings are extras...something you do when you have your core in place and have the money to get an extra guy like Boldin, Dansby, or Peppers to put you at another level.

They don't have a core in place or a good enough lockerroom to start that phase of Pioli's team building strategy. High profile free agents do more harm than good if you don't have a strong core in place.
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:55 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...o-kansas-city/

Chambers is returning. Great move.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:05 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really like the move I think when SD cut him it lit a fire under him I think this could be another Eddie Kennison type move.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:18 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

I think taking a look at Jamal Williams would be a smart move for us. He's 33, and he has been injured, but he'd give us someone to teach a developmental guy for a year or two.

He's obviously not a long term solution, but could be good going forward for a year or two.

Thoughts?

Last edited by vidae : 03-08-2010 at 03:40 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:03 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
I think taking a look at Jamal Williams would be a smart move for us. He's 33, and he has been injured, but he'd give us someone to teach a developmental guy for a year or two.

He's obviously not a long term solution, but could be good going forward for a year or two.

Thoughts?
I think it's worth a shot but he has a interview with the Saints first.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:39 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

The Colts just released Ryan Lilja. I would absolutely love KC to sign him. He's 28 years old and is very solid. He's not the best in the NFL, but he's head and shoulders ahead of anyone on our roster, and he's been part of a winning organization.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:39 PM    (permalink
King Carls 5 Year Plan
Veteran

King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lilja would be perfect. He is more of a pass blocker, but he fits into Weis' offense well. Jamal would be a good stop gap and a teacher for the next younger NT. Agree on both of them
King Carls 5 Year Plan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:15 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

There has been zero news about Thomas Jones, I don't think it's looking good looks like the Chiefs will be going the cheaper route once again.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:06 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat View Post
There has been zero news about Thomas Jones, I don't think it's looking good looks like the Chiefs will be going the cheaper route once again.
I haven't heard news that he's visiting anywhere else, so that leads me to believe something is in the works.

We'll have to wait and find out.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:13 PM    (permalink
BoneKrusher
DC GFX Team
Pro Bowler

BoneKrusher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BoneKrusher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BoneKrusher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BoneKrusher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BoneKrusher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BoneKrusher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BoneKrusher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BoneKrusher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BoneKrusher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BoneKrusher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BoneKrusher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
I haven't heard news that he's visiting anywhere else, so that leads me to believe something is in the works.

We'll have to wait and find out.

i saw over at The Coalition earlier tonight that news from KC was that Thomas Jones was still in town and they are hammering out a deal, just someting i read over there as i said, guess we'll have to wait and see.

also, glad Chambers got resigned today.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:17 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

I hope BK I think it would be a huge pick up I know some people (not on here) want to say it's just a back up RB but that is a huge need.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:19 PM    (permalink
BoneKrusher
DC GFX Team
Pro Bowler

BoneKrusher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BoneKrusher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BoneKrusher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BoneKrusher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BoneKrusher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BoneKrusher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BoneKrusher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BoneKrusher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BoneKrusher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BoneKrusher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BoneKrusher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat View Post
I hope BK I think it would be a huge pick up I know some people (not on here) want to say it's just a back up RB but that is a huge need.

TJ is from Big Stone Gap, Va
thats about an hour from me so i want a hometown guy on the Chiefs roster.;)
Old 03-08-2010, 09:23 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

We REALLY need a backup/change of pace guy, so I'd absolutely love this signing if they can get it done. Honestly, I think it's one of the biggest needs we have on the offensive side.. we can't let Jamaal get hurt or too tired with too many carries.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:36 PM    (permalink
adschofield
Pro Bowler

adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneKrusher View Post
TJ is from Big Stone Gap, Va
thats about an hour from me so i want a hometown guy on the Chiefs roster.;)
Where are you from? I was doing a service trip in Narrows, VA (About 30 minutes or so West of Blacksburg) last week and they bragging about the Jones brothers being from their area too...

sig by BoneKrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckNaked View Post
Ok I'd almost rather spank my meat with sandpaper at this point.
adschofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:38 PM    (permalink
adschofield
Pro Bowler

adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anyway, much like most Chiefs fans, I'm pretty ticked that Pioli's sitting on his hands here and not swooping in to nab some great FA's

Here's my personal wish list:

1. Ty Law
2. Kendrell Bell
3. Pat Surtain
4. Shawn Barber
5. Vonnie Holiday

sig by BoneKrusher

Quote:
Old 03-08-2010, 09:41 PM    (permalink
BoneKrusher
DC GFX Team
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by adschofield View Post
Where are you from? I was doing a service trip in Narrows, VA (About 30 minutes or so West of Blacksburg) last week and they bragging about the Jones brothers being from their area too...

Bluefield Va thats Ahmad Bradshaws hometown as well.

all these small towns are within an hours drive or so.

i can be in Narrows within 25 minutes and Blacksburg in about 45 minutes.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:43 PM    (permalink
adschofield
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneKrusher View Post
Bluefield Va thats Ahmad Bradshaws hometown as well.

all these small towns are within an hours drive or so.

i can be in Narrows within 25 minutes and Blacksburg in about 45 minutes.
Sick.

Yeah, I loved Narrows. Great people and great community. I can't wait to go back. They were talking about how Giles County HS shut Thomas Jones down in the State Playoffs and pulled off the big upset. You live in some really pretty country up there.

sig by BoneKrusher

Quote:
Old 03-08-2010, 09:44 PM    (permalink
BoneKrusher
DC GFX Team
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by adschofield View Post
Sick.

Yeah, I loved Narrows. Great people and great community. I can't wait to go back.
ya, most people are really down to earth and friendly around here.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:44 PM    (permalink
Ho0k Em'
Pro Bowler

Ho0k Em' could make a wolverine purr.Ho0k Em' could make a wolverine purr.Ho0k Em' could make a wolverine purr.Ho0k Em' could make a wolverine purr.Ho0k Em' could make a wolverine purr.Ho0k Em' could make a wolverine purr.Ho0k Em' could make a wolverine purr.Ho0k Em' could make a wolverine purr.

We got Fargas coming in tommorow so id be really suprised if we didn't sign one of them it looks to be pretty important to them to get another back in here, as it should.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:46 PM    (permalink
BoneKrusher
DC GFX Team
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ho0k Em' View Post
We got Fargas coming in tommorow so id be really suprised if we didn't sign one of them it looks to be pretty important to them to get another back in here, as it should.

ya, i'd be ok with Fargas but would prefer TJ.