Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 03-09-2010, 11:15 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Talk of Leon Washington to the 49ers is heating up. Makes some sense since our old RB's coach is there and they need a back like LW. Compensation would be 47th pick, do you match a deal for 3, 4 million a year or take the pick? Leon's one of my favorite players and my first instinct is to hope we match, but this is a tough one because we could really use the pick and third down backs aren't THAT hard to find.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:29 AM    (permalink
'cuse-213
Pro Bowler

'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We should take the pick. If it's offered from anybody but the Pats, we take the pick and run. I love Leon, but getting younger is important, and look at our rushing game last year without him.

All we have to do is find a replacement for Jones.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:52 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'cuse-213 View Post
We should take the pick. If it's offered from anybody but the Pats, we take the pick and run. I love Leon, but getting younger is important, and look at our rushing game last year without him.

All we have to do is find a replacement for Jones.
Yeah, the Pats are the trickiest situation IMO. I believe it's the right move to take the pick, but it's going to be tough to let him go. Still think we need somebody who can catch the ball out of the backfield in some capacity if LW leaves because we all know Greene can't and I think it's important for Sanchez to have somebody who's a threat out of the backfield.

Pick from San Fran would be 49 not 47 by the way, not that it matters but I figured I'd correct myself.

Last edited by derza222 : 03-09-2010 at 11:56 AM.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:09 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd love that, partly because my friend is a huge Niners fan and he loves Leon, and partly because I think he's overrated and would absolutely take that pick. Not sure what I think about what they're doing to the locker room though if they give up Jones, Leon, Wright, and bring back Coles (hope not). But who knows. Has to be some method to the madness.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:35 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Schefter just tweeted that we're meeting with Brodney Pool. Seems like a depth/stopgap guy, but not an awful option I guess. I presume he'll come cheap which I think is going to be a focus.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:50 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Was he cut? How many FAs can we sign? Was Wright a UFA?
Old 03-09-2010, 06:22 PM    (permalink
Jersey/B
Rookie

Jersey/B is a cocksman.Jersey/B is a cocksman.Jersey/B is a cocksman.

I was able to get to the Jets training camp last year. Now there's a framed, signed picture of Leon taking the kickoff back against the Pats in Foxboro in '09. It's my prized possession! Needless to say, I'd be pretty sad to see Leon go.
Jersey/B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:28 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
Was he cut? How many FAs can we sign? Was Wright a UFA?
Wright was an untendered RFA, as is Pool. So we have no limitations in terms of signing Pool, he's like any other RFA who we can go after he's just basically like a UFA in that there's no compensation for him being signed.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:25 AM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey/B View Post
I was able to get to the Jets training camp last year. Now there's a framed, signed picture of Leon taking the kickoff back against the Pats in Foxboro in '09. It's my prized possession! Needless to say, I'd be pretty sad to see Leon go.
I can't see them letting him go, unless they feel with the injury he will not be the same player. But I would think most teams would have that same question so it is unlikely they'd give up a 2nd rounder for him.

Sad to see TJ go too, as I said before, I don't see a need to let him go in an uncapped year. yes he was able to slow down, but IMO he would have been more than fine splitting time with Greene. 2,800 yards and 27 TDs in the last 2 years.`
Old 03-10-2010, 10:53 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Hutch reported that we'll match any offer for LW, but I don't buy it. If that's the case why offer up the second round tender to entice other teams to make him an offer? If you really wanted to keep him around a first round tender wouldn't be too much and would scare off other teams from signing him.

Apparently Marlin Jackson is coming to town for a visit. He's versatile which I'm sure would be valued in this defense, has played CB and both safety spots for the Colts. On the downside he's coming off of knee injuries the past two seasons. Not sure if they're looking at him as a corner or safety but I'm guessing safety. He's another untendered RFA, so same deal as Pool we can sign him and there would be no comp.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:57 AM    (permalink
msolimani
Rookie

msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...l-head-to-nyc/

How does everyone feel about the potential of L.T. becoming a Jet? Personally I would be pretty excited because it would be a great fit and I believe he has a year or two left in the tank as a 2nd option. I had LT in fantasy last year and watched many of his games. The two things I noticed were that he did seem to lose a step, but more importantly the Chargers O-line didn't produce any running room. LT losing a step is better than the majority of RB's in the league, and I think running behind our top O-line would prolong his career.
msolimani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:00 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Marlin Jackson signed with the Eagles.

And I wouldn't mind LT at all. However, at this phase of his career, I think he's about on par with Thomas Jones. So really, if we can't sign him for less than whatever we offered Jones, I don't see why we should bring him in. But they probably don't see it that way with name value and everything. I'd really rather find a more affordable option though (unless he is affordable and he's not getting a lot of love so far because he's trying to find a contender, and most contenders are either set at RB or don't like him). I think Betts or Fargas would really be just as good for what we need them for. That's just me though.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:16 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

found a green kellen clemens jersey at sports authority for 25.

you can bet your ass i purchased it.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:15 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimDris View Post
found a green kellen clemens jersey at sports authority for 25.

you can bet your ass i purchased it.
I saw a Leon on the clearance rack at Dicks but couldn't find a price and I'm low on money anyway so I didn't go for it. Time will tell if I regret the decision I guess.

I also think TTGS's post on LDT was absolute money, lots of really good points and I like the Betts/Fargas call. Didn't know Betts was on the market, I've always liked him for whatever reason I'd be pretty happy if we picked him up.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:01 PM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

I think Betts or Fargas would really be just as good for what we need them for. That's just me though.[/quote]

i mentioned fargas a week or so back as a nice complement. betts is too injury prone,and is coming off acl and mcl tears so his career is in doubt.. so id rather stay clear of that.

Last edited by jmess15 : 03-11-2010 at 07:06 PM. Reason: typo
jmess15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:30 PM    (permalink
DenverJetsFan
Rookie

DenverJetsFan is a cocksman.DenverJetsFan is a cocksman.DenverJetsFan is a cocksman.

what do you think the actual chance is that we sign L.T? Im a huuge fan of this but you never know.. he might go to minnesota even though he left without a contract
DenverJetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:11 PM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJetsFan View Post
what do you think the actual chance is that we sign L.T? Im a huuge fan of this but you never know.. he might go to minnesota even though he left without a contract
I am not in favor of it. I think he has lost more than 'a step'. last off season was supposed to be the year that he had his best offseason and was in the best shape of his life etc and he ended up having his worst year. Granted our O Line is better than SD's but we dont have the passing game they do at this point. How many times do you think the Chargers faced '8 men in the box'? My point is all factors should have led to a better year for LT, when it didnt happen it makes you think he is just in a fast decline.

Don't get me wrong, he was a hall of fame back and possibly one of the best of all time, but I think we should pass.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:42 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

I really like the Pool signing. He's young, talented, and inexpensive. Low risk, high reward transaction, also enabling us some more flexibility in the draft.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:47 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
I really like the Pool signing. He's young, talented, and inexpensive. Low risk, high reward transaction, also enabling us some more flexibility in the draft.
Really solid move, he didn't cost much at all. If he ends up starting I believe our starting safeties will cost less than 3.5 million. Think he could potentially excel in this system. I'd still be fine with drafting a safety and hope we do given his injury history and the fact that he's only on a 1 year deal, but not having to draft somebody to start this year is definitely nice.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:50 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msolimani View Post
LT losing a step is better than the majority of RB's in the league
And he proved that to you last year right? Last year he was better then maybe a handful of starting RB's in the league, which involved teams like Houston and Seattle, other then that I'm not sure which majority RB's your referring to.

I don't think it be a bad signing for you guys at all, though I'd like it much more giving Shonn Greene 20 carries or so and a speed back in the draft to compliment him, LT doesn't really do that so I wouldn't see the point in over spending.

I just don't know where you came up with LT being better then a majority of RB's in the league after losing a step.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:06 AM    (permalink
msolimani
Rookie

msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
And he proved that to you last year right? Last year he was better then maybe a handful of starting RB's in the league, which involved teams like Houston and Seattle, other then that I'm not sure which majority RB's your referring to.

I just don't know where you came up with LT being better then a majority of RB's in the league after losing a step.
I should've clarified. I meant whoever signs him would likely be signing him as a 2nd option and him losing a step is still way better than a lot of the 2nd RB's in the league. There must be something appealing about him if two of the best running teams in the league want him on board to complement their starters. Personally I think we made a mistake by letting go of Thomas Jones, but that's in the past so I think LT at the right price would be a perfect fit for a year or two.
msolimani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:13 AM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

Quote:
Yup...no downside here. If his concussions aren;t a factor he can be a huge contributor for us.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:08 PM    (permalink
hagy34
Veteran

hagy34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hagy34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hagy34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hagy34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hagy34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hagy34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hagy34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hagy34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hagy34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hagy34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hagy34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Viking fan with a question for Jets fans. Does NY see Tomlinson as an upgrade over Thomas Jones? I'm just wondering why the Jets would let Jones walk at what seems like a reasonable price and then turn around and go after Tomlinson. Just looking for answer from somebody who would know a heck of a lot more about the Jets plans than I would. Thanks in advance guys.
hagy34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:16 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Marlin Jackson signed with the Eagles.

And I wouldn't mind LT at all. However, at this phase of his career, I think he's about on par with Thomas Jones. So really, if we can't sign him for less than whatever we offered Jones, I don't see why we should bring him in. But they probably don't see it that way with name value and everything. I'd really rather find a more affordable option though (unless he is affordable and he's not getting a lot of love so far because he's trying to find a contender, and most contenders are either set at RB or don't like him). I think Betts or Fargas would really be just as good for what we need them for. That's just me though.
Well, that's what I said.

And this is what Tim Graham, the AFC East blogger for ESPN, said after me:

Quote:
The New York Jets had success with a thirtysomething running back last year. They might be willing to give it another whirl.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports free agent LaDainian Tomlinson will visit the Jets on Friday. Tomlinson, cut by the San Diego Chargers, will turn 31 in June and is coming off the worst season of his career.

Tomlinson met with the Minnesota Vikings on Thursday. There's a chance he could sign with the Vikings and cancel his Jets interview.

There's no way the Jets could use Tomlinson like they did Thomas Jones, a physical specimen who will turn 32 in August and was released last week for financial reasons. Jones was a workhorse last year, rushing for 1,402 yards and 14 touchdowns.

Tomlinson is worn out. In the Jets' backfield, he would be a complement to sophomore Shonn Greene, a rugged runner who showed in the playoffs he can be a featured back.

ESPN stats analyst KC Joyner sees Tomlinson as a valuable short-yardage specialist. The five-time Pro Bowler rushed 223 times for 730 yards and a 3.3-yard average per carry, all career-lows. But he rushed for 12 touchdowns, tying for fifth in the NFL.

For a story that analyzes the value of Tomlinson, Jones and Willie Parker in an attempt to project how much they have left, Joyner breaks down how each back fared when receiving good blocking (when every blocker won his point-of-attack assignment) versus bad blocking (at least one blocker losing his point-of-attack assignment).

Writes Joyner:
_____
Tomlinson had 14 carries last season when the Chargers were within 5 yards of the opponent's goal line and he was given acceptable blocking. Five of these came in Weeks 1 through 7, when Tomlinson was still struggling with his injuries, and he scored on only one of those plays.

That stands in stark contrast to his late-season performance in this area, when LT scored touchdowns on six of the eight good-blocking goal-line plays. He also scored a 6-yard touchdown on a rush play with good blocking against the Oakland Raiders in Week 8. If that were added in, Tomlinson would have seven touchdowns on nine carries of this nature down the stretch. Add in his 4-for-4 mark in converting on short-yardage (defined as third-down plays needing 3 or fewer yards) run plays with good blocking, and LT's conversion rate in this area moves to a very impressive 11 successes on 13 carries.
____

The Jets have one of the NFL's top offensive lines, perhaps the best. They line up Pro Bowlers at center, left guard and left tackle.

Tomlinson, of course, can't expect to break the bank with the Jets. The Jets parted ways with a running back who rushed for nearly twice as many yards as Tomlinson did but was due a $3 million roster bonus and a $2.8 million base salary.

But if Tomlinson can handle serving as Greene's sidekick and accepts commensurate money, then the Jets can improve their backfield.
But who cares about that. OUR QUARTERBACK IS AWESOME

WHY WON'T THE PICTURE SHOW

Last edited by thetedginnshow : 03-12-2010 at 04:50 PM.
thetedginnshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:48 PM    (permalink
gsorace
Veteran

gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagy34 View Post
. Does NY see Tomlinson as an upgrade over Thomas Jones?
NO. LT would be a #3 RB and get a few carries here and there. We let TJ go because Shonn Greene is going to be the feature back.
gsorace is offline   Reply With Quote