Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 03-09-2007, 09:06 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky bobby View Post
I'm forced to bring this link up agian. Voted on by almost 3500 giant fans.

http://www.webpollcentral.com/v2/?id...&user=kennedye
Ricky, that doesn't mean anything. Big deal, a bunch of Giant fans in a poll want a CB. No offense, and don't get me wrong, I love my fellow Giant fans, but 90% of the casual giants fans can't tell their head from their ass. Again, look at the film, then come back to me. You'll see that our safeties gave up big plays up the middle of the field much more often than our CBs gave up plays on the sidelines.

And I want to reiterate, I don't have a problem with taking a CB. I just have a problem taking a round 1 CB. I don't think the value is there to warrant a CB in round 1. We can gamble on a guy like McCauley in round 2, who has the measureables to become a shut down corner, or if Chris Houston slips to round 2, Id have no problem taking him, but I don't want a CB in round 1. The value simply isn't there. We shouldn't sacrifice that much grade for need. Theres a fine line, and you can't force the issue just because.

Also, Dameion Hughes will be available later, maybe even round 4. I know he put up a slow 40, but at that point in the draft I wouldn't be opposed to drafting him at all. I think he's another example of a guy who plays faster than he times.

Again, I have no problems with a CB, but I think we would be forcing the issue in round 1, where the talent at CB doesn't warrant round 1 grade.

The safeties which is also a need for us, definately warrant a round 1 grade.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:08 AM    (permalink
ricky bobby
Pro Bowler

Location: Oh please give me a good reputation. I'm so concerned with what you think about me!
ricky bobby hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Casual fans don't go to BBI, especially during the offseason. That is for the devoted.
ricky bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 09:15 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Casual fans don't go to BBI, especially during the offseason. That is for the devoted.
I just feel that the value isn't there in round 1. We're better off addressing the issue in round 2.

Also, I have a feeling that alot of CBs will slip in this draft. Remember, last year, everybody loaded up on CBs, there was like 7 of em taken in round 1. I think the demand for CBs this year as a result of that along with other more pressing needs for other teams, coupled with the demand for safeties this year, will cause alot of CBs that you would like in round 1 to slip to round 2. Remember also, teams are gonna go after WR alot this year, thus making the CBs in this draft slip even further.

Just because someone is graded as a round 1 CB doesn't mean that he'll be gone in round 1. Every team has their own needs, and I can see a CB or 2 slip to round 2.

Look at Mark Andersen last year. 5th ranked DE, which just as much of a in demand position if not more, he fell to the 5th round.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:22 AM    (permalink
ricky bobby
Pro Bowler

Location: Oh please give me a good reputation. I'm so concerned with what you think about me!

Well we could address CB in round 2, i agree. But, when will we address LB. If you look under the giant discussion, i posted something that claims the giants will look at a LB in round one. That would move S to round three, if it was in fact the 3rd need, which it's not.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:28 AM    (permalink
hugepunch
Rookie

hugepunch hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Well we could address CB in round 2, i agree. But, when will we address LB. If you look under the giant discussion, i posted something that claims the giants will look at a LB in round one. That would move S to round three, if it was in fact the 3rd need, which it's not.
thats just a smoke screen the giants dont want people knowing who they like and dislike.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:32 AM    (permalink
ricky bobby
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugepunch View Post
thats just a smoke screen the giants dont want people knowing who they like and dislike.
Well cutting our two starting OLBs might give it away. Genius.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:34 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Well cutting our two starting OLBs might give it away. Genius.
Not if Reese feels confident in Wilkinson and Chase. Its tough to gauge. From his press conference, it sounded like he was very willing to give Wilkinson and Chase a shot at the starting job. So who knows.

LB and CB was apparently what we were looking for last year. What did we do? We drafted a DE. So nobody really knows. And we have no draft history to go by to make accurate predictions either.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:10 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think it's funny how we're debating about Nelson when it's likely he'll be gone before our pick. Safety is becoming an extremely important posistion in the NFL, and as so, more will be taken on day one, and round one.

I'm not sure I can condone getting Nelson to be honest. Everyone argues it's always about taking "the best player available" in round one. I disagree, I think it's about taking the best player available for a spot you need filled. Safety, particulary Free Safety, isn't my number one concern. I can live with Will Demps and Gibril. However, I cannot live with Madison, Webster and McQuarters as our corners. Nor can I live with Reggie Torbor and Brandon Short as linebackers starting for us.

If no good OLB's or corners are available, amd Reggie Nelson somehow falls to us, I have nothing against grabbing him. Otherwise, I say we pass on him.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:13 AM    (permalink
ricky bobby
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
I think it's funny how we're debating about Nelson when it's likely he'll be gone before our pick. Safety is becoming an extremely important posistion in the NFL, and as so, more will be taken on day one, and round one.

I'm not sure I can condone getting Nelson to be honest. Everyone argues it's always about taking "the best player available" in round one. I disagree, I think it's about taking the best player available for a spot you need filled. Safety, particulary Free Safety, isn't my number one concern. I can live with Will Demps and Gibril. However, I cannot live with Madison, Webster and McQuarters as our corners. Nor can I live with Reggie Torbor and Brandon Short as linebackers starting for us.

If no good OLB's or corners are available, amd Reggie Nelson somehow falls to us, I have nothing against grabbing him. Otherwise, I say we pass on him.
LOL. Nelson will slip right past us, the cowboys, and right to the San Deigo Chargers.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:22 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
LOL. Nelson will slip right past us, the cowboys, and right to the San Deigo Chargers.
Heh, I doubt that. There were originally talks of him going before Landry. I can only imagine this, "wet grass 40" will amp him up a bit higher. Though, you never know. He might end up having the Donte Whitner effect, going higher than he should.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:45 PM    (permalink
Da KO King

My first post.

Count me in with the guys that would take a safety in the first. Safety play for the Giants this season was pretty poor. I admit corner play wasn't much better.

However, at least with better safeties and an improved pass rush (let's hope the new scheme works) you can use bracket coverages to improve CB play.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:00 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King View Post
My first post.

Count me in with the guys that would take a safety in the first. Safety play for the Giants this season was pretty poor. I admit corner play wasn't much better.

However, at least with better safeties and an improved pass rush (let's hope the new scheme works) you can use bracket coverages to improve CB play.
Welcome to the board. Thank you, you understand the Xs and Os of the scheme. We can mask deficiencies at CB, but its much harder to do with safeties, unless you have a killer CB duo, something we do not have.

Toonster is really good at evaluating talent, and this is what he said about Nelson:

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonsterwu View Post
Agree. I like Landry a lot, but Nelson has more "dynamism", if that's the right word for it, and has immense upside. Landry will likely be solid and steady for many years.
And I agree with it. Landry is the better "prospect" and safer pick, but Nelson has more dynamism if you will. I really like the kid's potential.

Unfortunately, I highly doubt we get him anymore. With Jacksonville losing Deion Grant, its almost a foregone conclusion that theyre gonna get a safety in the draft. The only hope we have is if Landry falls to Jacksonville, that would require ATL to pass him up, and thats asking alot. The only way I see them doing that is if they move Jimmy Williams to FS.

*crosses fingers*
Old 03-10-2007, 10:11 AM    (permalink
hugepunch
Rookie

hugepunch hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

lets be honest though were not going to sign edwards.. i rather have him too. edit: oops wrong topic
Old 03-10-2007, 12:53 PM    (permalink
BigBlue58KiperIII
Rookie

BigBlue58KiperIII hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I was one to say we need a safety a couple months ago, but now i feel the holes we have at Linebacker and are need at corner is more important than grabbing a safety even though Nelson is a better ballhawk than Demps or Gibril.

Im a bigger Gibril fan than most, and feel we underrate him compared to who else we have back there, and even Pasquarelli feels he is worth a second round pick for a team looking for a safety. Now if someone want to give us a 2nd i said i wouldnt match it, but Gibril makes plays, he is always around the ball and although he is not great in coverage we could do worse. I just feel like a Demps/Gibril combo is a capable safety tandem and we need to take care of other positions before we look at safety. If Gibril leaves then I have no problem with it.
2009 UConn Draft picks? Darius Butler, CB, Cody Brown, DE, Will Beatty, OT
2007 Co-Big East Champs

Donald Brown 2008 D-1 rushing title
BigBlue58KiperIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 06:52 PM    (permalink
Da KO King

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue58KiperIII View Post
I was one to say we need a safety a couple months ago, but now i feel the holes we have at Linebacker and are need at corner is more important than grabbing a safety even though Nelson is a better ballhawk than Demps or Gibril...
I agree the holes at LB and CB need filling quickly. With that said, there just aren't really any CB's or LB's that will likely be available at 20 unless the Giants "reach" on a guy and take him earlier than projected.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:14 PM    (permalink
hugegmenfan
Pro Bowler

hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King View Post
I agree the holes at LB and CB need filling quickly. With that said, there just aren't really any CB's or LB's that will likely be available at 20 unless the Giants "reach" on a guy and take him earlier than projected.
i strongly disagree with that statement- i think chris houston, darelle revis, lawrence timmons, paul poz would not be reaches @ 20 and would b perfectly acceptable to take there

sig by jkpigskin

2007 SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS

2011 SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS
hugegmenfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 08:25 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

bigbluekiper- itotally agree with gibril. one of my favorites(actually talked to him on the phone today!!!!) i think he is one of the few good players in the secondary, he and nelson would be nice, but gibril and demps with speedy, better CBs would be very nice. i feel spags likes gibril and wants him around and gibril would fit nicely in his system. i feel we shouldnt pass up revis if he falls, houston is good as well

my bold prediction- gibril wilson will be a pro bowler under spags this year!!
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote