Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 01-10-2010, 12:24 AM    (permalink
Prophet
Rookie

Prophet is a cocksman.Prophet is a cocksman.Prophet is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown View Post
Props on being a great fan.

However, SC has been great in the 2000's because of the talent Carroll brought in. He's gone. The school may be getting some sort of serious banhammer brought down on it. And UCLA is ready to swoop in during probation.

If it weren't for all of the shadiness that Carroll is leaving town for, the job would be a top 5 for certain. However, due to that, you may or may not get the coaches you desire. Despite that, I think Fischer or Del Rio would be great (and possible) hires.

And speaking of the quality of team, remember the 80's and 90's? A few Rose Bowl wins and a few top 10 finishes. Good, but not great. Often mediocre. The talent was in California but USC didn't get it. This is a real problem that will manifest itself again if the NCAA cracks down.

UCLA and others will scoop up the players that are scared off. Things go in cycles and this may be the end of an era.

It's a shame that dirty boosters and a complicit athletic department let this happen. And Carroll is going to get away unscathed. That last part really bothers me.
I agree with most of that, however I think these "looming sanctions" are about a 50/50 in reality. We have yet to see what shakes down.
College football does go in cycles, that's why I was so surprised Pete could keep the Trojans on top for so long. But what im getting at with the SC job being so attractive is the fact that Pete's successor will inharet 5 years of top end prospects. The talent is already there, if you can coach them up then winning big shouldn't be out of the question. Its comparable to Saban leaving the talent at LSU that Miles used to win the title in 07. Not to mention a good recruiter would be druling at the in-state talent and the national talent SC is capable of attracting. Since there is no pro team in LA, if you can win big at the college level you can be the king of the town.
Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 01:06 AM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet View Post
I agree with most of that, however I think these "looming sanctions" are about a 50/50 in reality. We have yet to see what shakes down.
College football does go in cycles, that's why I was so surprised Pete could keep the Trojans on top for so long. But what im getting at with the SC job being so attractive is the fact that Pete's successor will inharet 5 years of top end prospects. The talent is already there, if you can coach them up then winning big shouldn't be out of the question. Its comparable to Saban leaving the talent at LSU that Miles used to win the title in 07. Not to mention a good recruiter would be druling at the in-state talent and the national talent SC is capable of attracting. Since there is no pro team in LA, if you can win big at the college level you can be the king of the town.
Agree with your analysis if there are no sanctions. If they happen, sanctions will temporarily ruin what has been built. I also agree that it's about 50/50 that anything serious happens to the football program wrt the NCAA.

However, if it does, all you have to look at is how Alabama recovered after their pretty severe penalty in 2002. They have an NC after only 8 years. I mean, all of the really big football schools would love to have just one NC per decade so it's not like it killed their program. Just a minor bump in the road.

Thanks for the good insight from a USC fan's perspective into the situation.
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:46 AM    (permalink
Ozzy
Pro Bowler

Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is awful! Why would he do that? A pro coach? He is a college coach and has a college personality, this is a real surprise and a major disappointment. Pete Carroll is USC, without him they will just simply not be the same.

Bad choice, Seahawks? Why? NFL? Why, college is more consistent, you can win more and at USC he could easily have worked their another decade.

In terms of the next coach, well all of the options listed here suck. If you go from Pete Carroll to Ken Norton? Please. Even Shark, give me a break....They need a defensive guy, but sadly I doubt they ever find something with his energy ever again.

This sucks!

Unless he is running from something like coach Cal did with Memphis, running from some legal issues that involved his team.....
Old 01-11-2010, 01:19 PM    (permalink
JRTPlaya21
All-Pro

JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Matt Barkley will stay

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angele...ory?id=4816203

Duke Blue Devils
2010 National Champions!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO4iMIahsAs
JRTPlaya21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:16 AM    (permalink
elTraz
Rookie

elTraz is a cocksman.elTraz is a cocksman.elTraz is a cocksman.

Hey guys, new to the forum and just would like to say Go Trojans!!
elTraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:00 AM    (permalink
housefull

Christian Tupou isn't gonna win the job at DT, but he'll share time with Jurrell Casey. Sniper, Mays will be (primarily) at SS this year. McKnight is not seriously trying to get PT at CB (he doesn't really understand zone coverages).

Old 03-02-2010, 07:28 PM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Now that spring ball is less than a month away, why not get some discussion going?

Who do you guys anticipate as being the most critical component of our defense heading into next season?

I'll go with Casey. Consistency, as always with young defensive lineman, will be consequential in whether he can build off of a stellar sophomore campaign, or take a few steps back similar to Tupou last season. You could definitely see him evolving into a dominant defensive lineman as the year wore on, despite the rest of the defense's struggles, and as he continues to mature you would have to believe that his quickness will be far too much for opposing lineman to handle. The return of Orgeron could in actuality be the motivation and influence he needs to become a legitimate Pac-10 defensive player of the year candidate.

Regardless, Orgeron should easily increase the production of the defensive line unit, and that will without a doubt be one of the driving forces for a serious run at a national championship in the first year of this new regime.

Last edited by 619 : 03-02-2010 at 07:30 PM.
619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:07 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619 View Post
Now that spring ball is less than a month away, why not get some discussion going?

Who do you guys anticipate as being the most critical component of our defense heading into next season?

I'll go with Casey. Consistency, as always with young defensive lineman, will be consequential in whether he can build off of a stellar sophomore campaign, or take a few steps back similar to Tupou last season. You could definitely see him evolving into a dominant defensive lineman as the year wore on, despite the rest of the defense's struggles, and as he continues to mature you would have to believe that his quickness will be far too much for opposing lineman to handle. The return of Orgeron could in actuality be the motivation and influence he needs to become a legitimate Pac-10 defensive player of the year candidate.

Regardless, Orgeron should easily increase the production of the defensive line unit, and that will without a doubt be one of the driving forces for a serious run at a national championship in the first year of this new regime.
I will agree with this, with Monte Kiffen coming in we will need a dominant D Tackle....similar to how it worked when he was in Tampa Bay. Look back at all the great defenses he had in Tampa and you see Warren Sapp, a d tackle that can cause problems in the backfield.

I would also say that i think Galippo is going to need to pick it up a little bit this year as well. I dont think he played bad last year, but i do think that he has more to show us.
SickwithIt1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:35 AM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Spring practice is here!

Barkley took control of the QB position on day one as expected with three long TD passes - two of them over 60 yards - including one standout play to freshman Kyle Prater. According to Kiffin, defensively everyone was trying to be Troy Polamalu and you could probably attribute this aggressive play as one reason for the number of big plays on the other side of the ball.

On a side note, Rhett Ellison will likely miss all of spring ball with mono. This is Ayles' time to finally step up and play like a top recruit. We have VERY weak depth at the position otherwise.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:44 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am loving USC's front seven. Jurrell Casey, Nick Perry, Michael Morgan, Chris Gallipo, Malcolm Smith and Davon Kennard.

That group isn't getting nearly as much hype as past years but might be just as talented. I can't wait to watch them play this year. I hope the isn't a drop-off with the defense with Pete leaving. Monte Kiffin is one hell of a DC but Carroll was so creative and flexible with using guys by utilizing a lot of different fronts.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:09 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/video/colleg...4-10-10-175518

People saying Dillon Baxter looks like hes more than ready for the college game, making the defense look silly!

Cant wait!
Old 04-11-2010, 11:32 AM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

WOW.

Dillon Baxter getting comparisons to Marcus Allen and Reggie Bush so soon.

And guess where he's from? Yes, the 619, very fitting indeed. :D
Old 04-12-2010, 12:52 AM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

Quote:
WOW.

Dillon Baxter getting comparisons to Marcus Allen and Reggie Bush so soon.

And guess where he's from? Yes, the 619, very fitting indeed. :D
Yessir. Hes going to be a special player for us. Cant wait for Robert Woods to get here.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:15 AM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You guys know me.

Heisman / Doak '09

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:39 AM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am not an USC fan, but I do love me some Shareece(sp) Wright and Allen Bradford.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:21 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAYareaRB View Post
You guys know me.

Heisman / Doak '09
You better believe i know you, Its about time we get this guy some more carries!
Old 04-12-2010, 09:46 PM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

Ahem .....

This dude's been ripping it up in practices for years, now it's time for him to translate that play onto the field, and I expect everything to come together in a breakout senior season.

I think SC will be back this season boys. I really do. I wouldn't rule out a BCS Bowl either. I'm feeling much more confident than I did at this point last year.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:01 AM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

Quote:
Ahem .....

This dude's been ripping it up in practices for years, now it's time for him to translate that play onto the field, and I expect everything to come together in a breakout senior season.

I think SC will be back this season boys. I really do. I wouldn't rule out a BCS Bowl either. I'm feeling much more confident than I did at this point last year.
RoJo is ready to step up. You started to see signs of it towards the end of his sophomore season. I believe if he would have been healthy last year he would have been scary. I expect him to be better than Damian was for us.

My player who im hoping to do big things....

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/905...67CC9B60A8C0D4

Blake Ayles. I think he will be a great recieving threat for Barkley this year and will follow in Davis' and Mccoy's footsteps very well!

I also hope that we can get the ball into Marc Tylers hands a little more this season because i think he can be a stud for us.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:21 PM    (permalink
soybean
All-Pro

soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

dillon F****** Baxter!

soybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:34 PM    (permalink
critesy
All-Pro

critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

lmao id be worried about those defenders more than anything.
but
sick run, looks like his speed will translate very well, im jealous.

RIP, Sean Taylor.
critesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:07 PM    (permalink
JeffSamardzijaIRISH
Pro Bowler

JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Holy ****... Looks like Reggie Bush 2.0...
Old 04-13-2010, 10:50 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

lovin Dillon Baxter already, saw that run all over the net, and on sportscenter today, and god damn the kid can move. I think hes gonna be an impact player from day 1.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:00 PM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

If there's anyone that I could trust to get the most out of our skill position players, Baxter in particular, it would be Kiffin. He's a very innovative and nifty play-caller, which bodes well for the infinite number of different skillsets we possess together as an offense. I can't even begin fathoming what he has in store for us this year. :D
Old 04-14-2010, 01:09 AM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

Quote:
If there's anyone that I could trust to get the most out of our skill position players, Baxter in particular, it would be Kiffin. He's a very innovative and nifty play-caller, which bodes well for the infinite number of different skillsets we possess together as an offense. I can't even begin fathoming what he has in store for us this year. :D
Im excited for this staff and this season, I was really bummed after we lost Kiffen the first time, and even more bummed when we lost Sark. I really did no like Bates' play calling last year, and i think that Kiffen is much better. I cant wait!

I wanna see him get RoJo rollin!
Old 04-19-2010, 09:30 AM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

It's always good to reflect back on the previous season. If you need any reassurance as to which part of the team needs to demonstrate the greatest improvement, then here I present to you one of the poorer showcases of how to play good Pac-10 defense under the Pete Carroll era:

That is god awful. ugh