Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Green Bay Packers Team Forum

Green Bay Packers Team Forum Discuss the Cheeseheads

Old 03-31-2010, 09:49 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by umphrey View Post
I hate Tebow and his holier than thou demeanor. I'm also an atheist.
Nobody asked, but it's no surprise considering the 2nd word you used there.
I bet we never hear that word come out of Tebow's mouth, despite him having microphones shoved into his face more than any player in CFA history.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:05 PM    (permalink
Favre4ever
Rookie

Favre4ever could make a wolverine purr.Favre4ever could make a wolverine purr.Favre4ever could make a wolverine purr.Favre4ever could make a wolverine purr.Favre4ever could make a wolverine purr.Favre4ever could make a wolverine purr.

Im tired of the Tebow hate. I really don't like him as a player but the man has never done anything to deserve that. People always feel the need to say they hate him because of who he is. At least hes not assulting women or killing dogs in his free time...

As for Tebow the QB, i wouldnt draft him, he wouldnt fit in MM system.
Favre4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 04:34 AM    (permalink
bigboiajhawk
Veteran

bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well here goes my second to last mock draft, my last one will be about a day or two before the draft.

1) Taylor Mays, S, USC - He is going to make every team pay that passes up on him.

2) Jared Veldheer, OT, Hillsdale College - I hope he is there when we are drafting, he is the best candidate to learn for a year under Clifton. I could see TT potentially trading up to draft him.

3) Perrish Cox, CB, Oklahoma State - I see him dropping a little bit due to questions about his speed and character. There is no denying his ball skills and return ability.

4) Junior Gallete, OLB, Stillman - Raw OLB, athletic, great pass rusher, and has decent size...

5a) LaMarcus Coker, RB, Hampton - Legit Chris Johnson type speed, severe character issues in the past, seems to have matured. Can make an impact in the return game right away.

5b) Doug Worthington, DE, Ohio State - Ideal size and speed for a 3-4 DE, just needs to improve strength.

6) Kevin Matthews, C, Texas A&M - Why not add another Matthews to the team.

7) Nyan Boateng, WR, California - Raw WR with potential yet.
bigboiajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:18 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboiajhawk View Post
Well here goes my second to last mock draft, my last one will be about a day or two before the draft.

1) Taylor Mays, S, USC - He is going to make every team pay that passes up on him.

2) Jared Veldheer, OT, Hillsdale College - I hope he is there when we are drafting, he is the best candidate to learn for a year under Clifton. I could see TT potentially trading up to draft him.

3) Perrish Cox, CB, Oklahoma State - I see him dropping a little bit due to questions about his speed and character. There is no denying his ball skills and return ability.

4) Junior Gallete, OLB, Stillman - Raw OLB, athletic, great pass rusher, and has decent size...

5a) LaMarcus Coker, RB, Hampton - Legit Chris Johnson type speed, severe character issues in the past, seems to have matured. Can make an impact in the return game right away.

5b) Doug Worthington, DE, Ohio State - Ideal size and speed for a 3-4 DE, just needs to improve strength.

6) Kevin Matthews, C, Texas A&M - Why not add another Matthews to the team.

7) Nyan Boateng, WR, California - Raw WR with potential yet
I'd be okay with Mays, Veldheer, and Cox for the 1-2-3. Honestly can't lie and say I saw a lot of Stillman games on TV, but he sounds good. Of course, I've never seen any Hillsdale games on ESPN either, but have seen plenty of film on him. He's a Packer guy for sure. Coker and Perrish Cox... they don't seem to be your typical Packer character guys so they'd surprise me.

I'd love to get the new Matthews. Is he capable of playing LG?

Last edited by J-Mike88 : 04-21-2010 at 06:55 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:32 PM    (permalink
bigboiajhawk
Veteran

bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
Coker and Perrish Cox... they don't seem to be your typical Packer character guys so they'd surprise me.
I know exactly what you mean, but I just think a change of scenery would help out both of them, and we do have great locker room veterans in Woodson, Harris, Driver, and more, to keep them from doing something stupid. I do think that Cox is going to be a great CB, just watching highlights of him, he looks like he has some outstanding ball skills.

Anyone who picks up Coker is getting a steal, if he can stay drug free.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:44 AM    (permalink
RyanBraun8
Rookie

RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.

Quote:
I'd love Mays, Veldheer, and Cox for the 1-2-3. Honestly can't lie and say I saw a lot of Stillman games on TV, but he sounds good. Of course, I've never seen any Hillsdale games on ESPN either, but have seen plenty of film on him. He's a Packer guy for sure. Coker and Perrish Cox... they don't seem to be your typical Packer character guys so they'd surprise me.

I'd love to get the new Matthews. Is he capable of playing LG?
The thing with Cocker is that he was like Josh Hamilton coming to Tennesse. A complete straight edge, never drank, smoke, anything but he got to UT and some of his fellow teamates got him to start smoking weed and he was dumb about it and failed 4 test. Now I guess he has quit (not that it should have been that hard, it is not addictive at all unless you try really hard to make it be physcologically). So I don't see it as a problem. It is very low risk pick, I mean TT will cut any pick after the 3rd round he they don't look good. I am much more concerned about real trouble makers or guys who do real drugs that mess you up like cocaine, Heroine, PCP, X, LCD and stuff like that or are always in fights and running their mouths. Cocker isn't like that from everything I read.

I bet Matthews could move over to guard... it is usually a easier transition. They are very simular except you are not the general of the LOS and you dont have to snap. Most centers can move over and be fine....they are usually the smartest out of the bunch. Guards going to center though, that would be a different story.
RyanBraun8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 05:56 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

If you're making or looking at mock drafts, check this out:
http://draftdebacled.com/ConsensusMock.aspx

It breaks down the consensuses from tons of mocks, and averages it out.

Based on that, CHARLES BROWN is the guy.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:02 PM    (permalink
jackalope
Pro Bowler

jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
If you're making or looking at mock drafts, check this out:
http://draftdebacled.com/ConsensusMock.aspx

It breaks down the consensuses from tons of mocks, and averages it out.

Based on that, CHARLES BROWN is the guy.
If I had to make a prediction as to who we'd take right now, I'd go with Charles Brown.

Sig thanks to mockalicious
jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:42 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
If I had to make a prediction as to who we'd take right now, I'd go with Charles Brown.
Me too, but I have only been right 1 of 5 times on Teddy's first pick, and that was the easy one at number 5 with Hawk.
So if you and I think it's gonna be Charles Brown, it surely won't be!
Old 04-13-2010, 11:23 PM    (permalink
Mr.Regular
2008 NFL Mock Draft Champion
Veteran

Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

TT isn't that crazy with his first round picks.

ARod was a no brainer value/ need wise.
Hawk was the consensus.
Harrell was a head scratcher.
Raji was a near consensus and trading up for Matthews made a ton of sense too.

So maybe he'll go with what we're all thinking and goes with Brown. I hope so!
Come on guys, hop on the Brown bandwagon!

Mr.Regular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:23 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Regular View Post
TT isn't that crazy with his first round picks.

So maybe he'll go with what we're all thinking and goes with Brown. I hope so!
Come on guys, hop on the Brown bandwagon!
I like Brown, but Jared Gaither is > than Charles Brown is, and you can get Gaither for the #56 (it seems) whereas you need to use #23 to get Brown. Doesn't make sense to me, plus half of rookies are busts. Gaither already has proven he's not a bust.

Take advantage of the Ravens situation there with Oher, and obtain JG, if the Shefter/LaCantera/King rumors are true, that they are willing to trade him for a 2nd. I find that sceptical because it's a no-brainer isn't it?
Old 04-17-2010, 10:38 PM    (permalink
bigboiajhawk
Veteran

Last Packers Mock

1) Taylor Mays, S, USC - I am really hoping that he is still here when the Packers pick him. He would have easily been a top ten pick a year ago. Mays will make every team pay that does not select him.

2) Packers trade up here, don't know what picks they will unload (for the sake of this i will say a 4th and a 5th), don't know where they will end up selecting. But they will get "their guy". I think that guy is...Jared Veldheer, OT, Hillsdale. I believe there is a sharp drop off after him, and the Packers want to land their future LT.

3) Perrish Cox, CB, OK State - Teams will pass on him and he will slide.

5) Doug Worthington, DE, Ohio State - Perfect size, just needs to get a little stronger

6) O'Brien Schofield, OLB, Bucky - The Packers have their starting OLB in Jones, Schofield will be brought along slowly and mid season should start to make an impact.

7) Dace Richardson, OG/OT, Iowa - Iowa's top offensive lineman when he stayed healthy.

I was swaying my first rounder between Mays and Jerry Hughes, Brandon Graham is still my top Packer prospect if he is there, 95% sure he won't make it to the 20's. However, I think the Packers have confidence in Jones as the OLB.

So what did the Packers get out of this draft:
Improved Secondary
LT of the future
PR/KR
DL Depth
Old 04-19-2010, 10:17 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Looks pretty good Hawk. I like it.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:50 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Round 1, #23- OLB JERRY HUGHES, TCU; 6-1 3/4, 255
The more I watch of Hughes on tape, the more I love the guy. The more I read about him, the more I want him in Green & Gold. In the past two seasons, alone, he had 36 tackles behind the line of scrimmage, and another 26 1/2 sacks! We all love Matthews coming off the right edge. Well this guy has the same drive and instictive passion coming in from the other side. This guy with Clay would force opposing offenses to always leave a TE in to block on passing downs. Hughes is fluid enough and agile enough to be a solid cover-backer in space. At 255, he's bigger than Clay, but could still stand to gain a few more pounds. Is not great against the run, but it's not a weakness that can't be addressed. Is a 2-time consensus 1st-team All-American. Won the Ted Hendricks and Ronnie Lott Trophy's last year. Great character and work ethic. Clean. Perfect Ted Thompson guy. Some would say trade down and take him in the 30's. But there are some teams there (Jets, Colts for two) who would love to have him. Ted's not afraid to take his guy a few picks sooner than the mock nation has a guy.

Round 2, #56- OT JARED VELDHEER, Hillsdale; 6-8, 312
Everyone knows this guy is a perfect Ted Thompson O-line prospect. Much like we all expected Daryn Colledge and TJ Lang to become Packer picks, this is a guy we all would not be shocked to see called. He's risen up the boards and can no longer be expected to be sitting there at #86. Ted takes him here, and he is hopefully allowed a year to groom behind Clifton at LT. His level of competition wasn't the same, but his 40-time (5.09) was better than Okung, Bulaga, and Anthony Davis, and he's taller than those guys, kind of the same build as Jared Gaither.

Round 3, #86- CB PERRISH COX, Oklahoma St; 5-11, 195
From Scott: Supremely talented and possesses first round physical tools but isn't technically sound and intangibles are shaky --- Must keep his head on straight and get coached up a bit but has the ability to be a starter as well as a great return man in the NFL

Round 4, #122- S ROBERT JOHNSON, Utah; 6-2, 203
Was screwed over by the combine committee and not invited. Still, at his Pro Day aftewards, he performed as well as any safety did in Indy. Plus was productive on the field with over 150 career tackles and 13 career interceptions for the red Utes.

Round 5a, #154- DL KADE WESTON, Georgia; 6-5, 317
For a monster size, he ran an impressive sub 5.0 40. Has the skillset, and size, to rotate along the line in Capers defense for Trgovic. Not a pass rush guy, but is able to beat blockers and stuff running backs in the backfield. Had 16 tackles for loss the past 3 seasons in the tough SEC. Could be had a round or two later, probably. But Ted gets him when he can if he likes his guy.

Round 5b, #169- DL LORENZO WASHINGTON, Alabama; 6-4, 291
Nice size for the anchor DE 3-4 position in Dom's defense. The legal questions with Johnny Jolly, persistent injury issues to Harrell, and Cullen Jenkins contract situation looming means team needs to develop at least one more good D-lineman soon. Lorenzo had 6 sacks for the Tide.

Round 6, #193- CB SHERRICK McMANIS, Northwestern; 5-11, 195
Smart player, clean off the field. Had over 200 tackles and 9 Ints in career for Northwestern. His size and speed compare almost identically to higher-rated Perrish Cox and Dominique Franks of Oklahoma. Great value here.

Round 7, #230- KR/WR LeROY VANN, Florida A&M; 5-8 1/2, 178
Dexter McCluster-like size & speed, but even more electrifying. In the past 2 seasons, Vann took 3 kicks and 8 punts, yes 8, back to the house. That's 11 TDs via special teams the past 2 years.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:10 PM    (permalink
Bibby10
Rookie

Bibby10 could make a wolverine purr.Bibby10 could make a wolverine purr.Bibby10 could make a wolverine purr.Bibby10 could make a wolverine purr.Bibby10 could make a wolverine purr.Bibby10 could make a wolverine purr.Bibby10 could make a wolverine purr.Bibby10 could make a wolverine purr.

I think we are going to go with a OLB/DE twinner with our first pick. Teams now know about Clay and are going to focus on him. The Packers want the D to be the staple of their team, and with a 3-4 you need fast quick LBs, so I really feel that we are going to go that direction. Besides if we take a OT with our first pick, he is not going to get much playing time at all this year. IMO it think our 1st 3 picks are 1) OLD/DE 2) OT 3) S

“I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last”
Bibby10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:07 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

I think there has to be a CB in round 2 or 3 though.
If not, then that means they really have high and sure expectations of Pat Lee and Brandon Underwood. Which I find as smart as last year's high expectations in Barbre as the RT and Colledge as the LT.

Sometimes, hope overshadows reality. With TT uncharacteristically giving the nice money now to Clifton AND Tauscher, I think it's safe to say a lesson was learned last year.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:28 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here is my Packers mock. It was written for an audience that is less knowledgeable about the draft than you guys, so there may be parts that very basic.

Packers Mock Draft

First Round: Pick #23

There are many different ways the Packers could go with their first round pick. Cornerback, offensive tackle, outside linebacker, or perhaps even safety could be the pick at 23. Of course there’s always the possibility of trading down as well. Each scenario could bring a talented player and improve the team, but which is the best choice.

With both starters being over 33 years old, cornerback is most definitely an option. It kind of has been for the past couple of years actually. In 2008 a second round pick was spent to address the position, but Pat Lee has been put on injured reserve each of his two years in the league, so that has yet to be of any help. Another thing to keep in mind is that Al Harris will be coming back from an ACL injury. There’s no guarantee that he’ll be ready for the start of the season. In fact depending on how the rehab goes he might have to be placed on the physically unable to perform list, which would make him ineligible to play in the first six games.

Not only do future starters need to be found, but the depth needs to be improved. The lack of quality depth was exposed and exploited in the Pittsburgh game and then again in the playoff game against the Cardinals. Tramon Williams is a good player and can be one of the future starters, but after that there is nothing. Lee is always injured, the same can be said for Will Blackmon, Jarrett Bush may be the worst player on the 53 man roster, and Josh Bell is just a street free agent. Brandon Underwood is on the right track to being a good player, but he’s still very unproven and is probably a nickelback at best.

A top talent needs to be brought in at this position and there are some good players in this cornerback class to choose from. The top corner is this class is Joe Haden, but he could go as early as 7th to the Browns and stands no chance to make it to 23. The next tier includes Kyle Wilson, Devin McCourty, Kareem Jackson, and Patrick Robinson, all of which could and likely will be available at 23. Kyle Wilson is commonly thought to be the best after Haden, but Kareem Jackson should be the Packers choice between those four, although 23 might be a bit high for him. He is a physical corner that can play bump and run, and also succeed in zone. He’d fit nicely with the Packers and Dom Capers’ 3-4 scheme.

Similarly to cornerback offensive tackle is a position with aging starters and a lack of depth. Both Chad Clifton and Mark Tauscher were re-signed, but their best years are far behind them. Tauscher was a vast improvement from Allen Barbre when he came back last season, but he was still a liability on the right side. If a quality NFL ready tackle is drafted Tauscher won’t have a starting job in 2010

There had previously been some hope that Daryn Colledge could be the future left tackle once Clifton retires, but after a poor season including an awful showing in some time at left tackle that’s not going to be an option anymore. TJ Lang looked pretty good as a rookie and is said to be getting a shot at right tackle this year, but his best position will be left guard. Even if Lang takes the right tackle job someone will still be need to be drafted as the future on the left side.

This is a good draft to get that LT in considering there are six first round caliber tackles. The first half of those (Russell Okung, Brian Bulaga, and Trent Williams) will be long gone, but the second half still has quality players. Anthony Davis from Rutgers would be the top realistic choice, but he’s almost in that first group and stands a very slim chance at being available to the Packers. The other two are Bruce Campbell and Charles Brown. Campbell is an athletic freak with unlimited potential, but there are some technique issues and big character concerns. He’s a real risk, but if he pans out it’s going to be a huge reward. There’s talk he could go as early as eighth to the Raiders since Al Davis loves the workout warriors as shown by drafting Campbell’s former Maryland teammate Darius Heyward-Bey seventh overall last year. However there’s just as good of a chance that he could slip out of the first round because of the bust factor. Brown is also a risk-reward type pick, but nowhere to the extent of Campbell.

When considering outside linebacker it basically comes down to how much the team values the position. A 3-4 Defense can succeed as long as it has one great pass rushing outside linebacker. That was already found last year in Clay Matthews. The other one needs to be able to rush the passer at times, but he doesn’t necessarily have to be great at it. Obviously the ideal situation would be to have two guys like Matthews, but the team needs to decide if it is worth passing on other needs for that.
When Aaron Kampman went down for the season Brad Jones stepped in and did a solid job. He arguably played better than Kampman last season and is definitely a better fit for the scheme. However Jones is just solid, not great, and he doesn’t appear to have to potential to reach great. Jones could start next year and the defense would succeed, but adding another high quality player at outside linebacker could take the defense to the next level.
In the first round of the draft that player could be Sergio Kindle, Brandon Graham or Jerry Hughes. With Atlanta, Cincinnati, and New England all in the market for edge rushers and holding three of the four picks directly in front of the Packers one or two of these choices will likely be snatched up just before Green Bay gets a chance. Kindle is the best of the three and would be hard to pass on should he be available, but being the best means he almost certainly won’t be. It’s hard to choose between Graham and Hughes. Graham is more highly rated, but Hughes is a better fit for the 3-4 scheme and specifically the Packers. Graham might be best off staying at defensive end. He’s drawn comparisons to fellow Michigan alum LaMarr Woodley, and he can match the pass rushing, but the other aspects of a 3-4 linebacker are a concern. Hughes was a defensive end in college as well so he too has some of those concerns, but he’s more athletic and should be able to adjust to the position switch easier. Hughes has a great ability to get to the quarterback and racked up 26.5 sacks in his final two years at TCU.

Safety is easily the lowest need of the positions mentioned, but it could be a possibility this year. Nick Collins has already been to multiple pro bowls and just signed a three year extension this offseason so free safety is set for a while. Strong safety on the other hand is not quite as set.
Atari Bigby looked like a promising player that could turn into a star back in 2006. Since then he’s started only 17 of 32 games due to injuries. When he is healthy he’s a decent starter but still replaceable.
The real reason safety is even an option is because there’s a good chance to get a really talented safety at 23 in Taylor Mays from USC. He is just too physically gifted to not take a look at. With a 4.43 40 yard dash time he is faster than most cornerbacks and at 230lbs he’s as big as some linebackers. That combination of size and speed can make him a top safety in the NFL if he ever puts it all together. He’s been sliding down the draft boards a bit because as of right now he’s more of just a great athlete than a great football player and some think that’s all he’ll ever be. Nonetheless he’s someone to consider based on the measurables alone. The different ways that Capers could use a player like Taylor Mays is mind-boggling.

Trading down could definitely be an option, but obviously it depends on who’s available at 23. With a contending team like the Packers normally it makes sense to take the most talented player rather than trade down to add extra picks. This year however the talent difference between 23 and say 30 is not that great. According to the trade value chart the 23rd pick would be equal to the 30th pick and the 90th pick. Moving down to pick up a late 3rd could very well end up being worth it.

Some players mentioned earlier could even have a chance at being available at 30. Kareem Jackson, Devin McCourty, Patrick Robinson, Bruce Campbell, Charles Brown, and Jerry Hughes could possibly be there with one or two of the corners being almost definite. Other players to consider if a trade to around 30 were to happen would be running back Jahvid Best and offensive tackle Rodger Saffold.

With the 23rd pick in the 2010 NFL Draft, the Green Bay Packers select…

…Charles Brown, offensive tackle out of USC

After considering all the options offensive tackle gets the nod with Charles Brown. It was made evident from the first game of the 2009 season that the offensive line and more specifically the tackles needed to be upgraded. The franchise quarterback is already in place, now he needs to be protected. Charles Brown probably won’t be ready from day one, but he can eventually become a top tackle.

Brown is on the light side for a tackle at 303lbs, but he’s 6’5” and has a big frame that he can add more weight to. That’s something that can be fixed easily with some time spent in an NFL weight room. He’s already put on 50 pounds since coming to USC so another 10 to 15 shouldn’t be too hard.

The zone blocking scheme should be an excellent fit for Brown. He’s very athletic and he’s quick for a big guy. He has good footwork, but could use some coaching in other technique aspects.
Charles Brown won’t bring a lot to the run game, but he is a great pass protector and that’s really what the Packers need. Because of that he fits the profile for the left side perfectly, which is great, but it also means he doesn’t project to the right side too well. If he could play the right side he could start as a rookie over Tauscher, since he can’t he’ll likely have to wait until 2011 where he’ll take over for Clifton.

Second Round: Pick #56

With offensive tackle taken care of, the second round is the chance to look at outside linebacker and cornerback. It’s also possible to go a completely different direction. This draft’s late first round through the second round is what makes it shine. There are elite prospects Ndamukong Suh and Gerald McCoy at the top, but the rest of the top ten and then through the top twenty doesn’t stack up with years past. 21 through about 45 on the other hand is loaded relative to the prospects usually seen in that range. Finishing out the second round to early third round is still looking very good. Because of this it’d also make sense to grab the most talented player possible even if it’s not at a position of great need.

The most immediate impact in the second round would come from an outside linebacker. It is a noticeable difference between the first and second round outside linebackers, but there’s not a huge gap. There are potential week one starters at the position that can be had in the second round. Koa Misi, Eric Norwood, and Ricky Sapp fit that bill. Misi and Sapp were defensive ends in college while Norwood played linebacker in an even front. None have much if any experience in the 3-4, but all project best as 3-4 outside linebackers in the pros opposed to their college positions. Misi climbed draft boards after an impressive combine, and has a ton of upside. Norwood isn’t flashy, but he was a three year starter in the SEC with excellent production. Sapp didn’t put up big sack numbers in college, but he can jet across the line of scrimmage. A switch to the 3-4 could greatly benefit Sapp and some good coaching could mold him into a sack artist. Any one of these three would bring more of a pass rush than Brad Jones and Brady Poppinga. Whether it’d come as a full time starter or a situational player the defense would be upgraded if this is the direction in round two.

When it comes to second round cornerbacks there are three players that should appeal to the Packers: Perish Cox, Jerome Murphy, and Brandon Ghee. All come in at roughly the same height and weight at about 5’11.5” and 195lbs, which is good size for a corner. Brandon Ghee has the highest potential, but his lack of big time success at the collegiate level is concerning. Murphy and Cox on the other hand had good NCAA careers, but both have some character concerns. All three have similar styles of play, being they’re all physical corners, can play man and zone coverages, and are inconsistent. Cox is the most NFL ready so that could give him an edge. The potential of Ghee could be too attractive to pass up though. Murphy fits somewhere in between those two, but he also has the ability to play safety which is a nice bonus.

The best player available strategy is a concept that general manager Ted Thompson is quite familiar with. Going with this option will bring in a talented player, but it might not be at a position of need. Wide receiver Brandon Lafell, inside linebacker Brandon Spikes, defensive end Corey Wooten, running back/receiver/return specialist Dexter McCluster, or running back Toby Gerhart could be the pick if this route is taken. Lafell is a good route runner and can get yards after the catch, which is exactly what Thompson looks for in his receivers. The Packers have a very good group of receivers but other than Jennings none of them have potential to be a big time receiver in the NFL, Lafell would add that. At one point Brandon Spikes looked like a first round lock. His stock has since dropped, but he’s an ideal fit as a run stuffing 3-4 inside backer. Wooten played his senior year coming back from an ACL season and his play suffered because of it. He’s a talented and athletic big man who would project to a 5-technique in a 3-4, but his best fit might be as a 4-3 end. McCluster is kind of in the Reggie Bush mold in that he can line up at running back, receiver, and as a returner. He’s very small for the NFL, but he has great agility and plays faster than he timed. He could add a new dimension to the offense as a dangerous receiver out of the backfield. Gerhart would finally give the Packers a real #2 back to pair with Grant. Brandon Jackson has turned into a good third down back, but he’s not much of a threat carrying the ball. Gerhart has a nose for the end zone and would undoubtedly be a big upgrade over fullback John Kuhn as the short yardage back.

With the 56th pick in the 2010 NFL Draft, the Green Bay Packers select…

…Eric Norwood, Outside Linebacker out of South Carolina

At just under 6’1” and 245lbs Eric Norwood is a bit smaller than a prototypical outside linebacker. However those measurements match up extremely close to those of Steelers linebacker and former defensive player of the year James Harrison, who Norwood has been compared to. Like Harrison, Norwood is able to use his lack of height to get an advantage in leverage. That leverage advantage is a key to beating lineman in the NFL.

Norwood was often sent on blitzes in college and had great success doing it. His 29 career sacks at South Carolina is a school record. These sacks came from a stand up position too. Most 3-4 outside linebackers are converted defensive ends who have to learn to pass rush from a completely new stance, which can be a difficult change to make. The Packers saw that first hand last season with Aaron Kampman. As a 4-3 end Kampman was an outstanding pass rusher, but he struggled to do it from a two point stance. Norwood will still have to adjust what he did in college to a 3-4 linebacker since it still has its differences, but he shouldn’t have as hard of a time transitioning

Being a college linebacker, Norwood also has experience in coverage. Now, he wasn’t too good as a cover man, but the experience will still help nonetheless. He won’t be given too many coverage responsibilities anyway. He can be subbed out in passing situations in the base defense and can line up with his hand down to rush the passer in multiple defensive back sets.

First round pick Charles Brown won’t contribute as a rookie, but Norwood would bring immediate impact. He has what it takes to be the week one starter, but at the worst he’d still help as a situational pass rusher. Whether it’s Norwood as the full time starter or some combination of Norwood with Brad Jones and/or Brady Poppinga the defense would be improved with this pick.

Third Round: Pick #86

Filling two needs right away really opens up the rest of the draft. It would still make sense to satisfy that final big need with a cornerback, but it’s not as urgent now. It’s all about looking into the future; even during this year’s draft it’s not too early to be thinking about the 2011 draft. With the addition of Norwood outside linebacker should not be a need at all in 2011. Charles Brown fills the left tackle need, and while a right tackle might still be needed next year it won’t be a first round need. Even if a corner is taken in 2010 getting a top young talent in the secondary could be a priority next year. So really it’s all about value now.

Now coincidently, some of the best value might actually be at cornerback anyway. Amari Spievey, Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, and Myron Lewis should be of the most interest to the Packers out of the predicted available cornerbacks. Spievey isn’t the fastest corner, but he’s strong and physical. He’s got good range and should excel in zone coverage. Owusu-Ansah has both good speed and great size. Unlike every other corner mentioned for rounds 1-3 he’s not a physical player at all. His cover skills make him very attractive despite that. Going right back to physical corners there’s Myron Lewis. He fits that part so well he might be drafted as a safety, but he could work in Dom Capers’ defense as a corner.

Adding a second tackle, although not likely, wouldn’t be a bad way to go. Getting a young player as replacements for each Clifton and Tauscher right now could have them ready to start next season. Of course there are some young potential replacements on the roster right now, but someone better might be found in the draft and competition is always good. It’ll depend on how much faith the coaches have in Allen Barbre and Breno Giacomini. Ideally Jason Fox drops hear, but chances of that aren’t good. He’ll probably go late second round. If a position other than tackle is taken in the first round the Packers should be the ones to take him in the second. Realistically the best option here would be Selvish Capers. Not only did he play right tackle in college, which is what Green Bay would be looking to fill here, but he was protecting his quarterback’s blindside at the same time with Pat White being left handed. This could do wonders in pass protection. Capers is an ideal fit for the zone blocking scheme too.

Safety depth could be explored here in the third round. Derrick Martin and Jarrett Bush aren’t the best insurance and with Atari Bigby being injured so often having someone that can step in would be nice. Reshad Jones and Larry Asante are safeties worth checking out. They are kind of similar players with Jones being a little better. They have decent size, are good in run support and can struggle if matched up one on one. Either would provide better depth than is currently on the roster and maybe challenge Bigby for a starting spot some day.

Arthur Jones from Syracuse could make a good five technique and could be considered here. He played defensive tackle in college, but could slide over to end in a 3-4. He’s quick for a big man and explosive off the line. Six defensive lineman are usually on the roster for a 3-4, and right now there are four locks (Cullen Jenkins, Ryan Pickett, Johnny Jolly, BJ Raji), one extremely likely (Jarius Wynn), and one great unknown (Justin Harrell). The organization still has high hopes for Harrell, but he can’t be counted on. Drafting another lineman would give a better chance of having 6 quality guys. If both Harrell and the draft pick turn out an exception could be made to keep 7 if it came to that.

Adding a complimentary back for Grant could be done here with Joe Mcknight. A big play threat has been missing from the backfield since Mike McCarthy took over as head coach. Grant busts a big run every once in a while, but a speed back that can take it to the house from 60 yards out would help to balance out the offense. McKnight is a smaller running back with good agility and elusiveness. He also has great vision which is needed for the zone blocking scheme. He wouldn’t be able to carry the load by himself, but that’s what Grant is for. McKnight could get a couple carries a game and hopefully be able to show off his break away speed.

With the 86th pick in the 2010 NFL Draft the Green Bay Packers select…

….Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, Cornerback, out of Indiana University of Pennsylvania

Yep, that’s right, Indiana University of Pennsylvania. It’s a Division II school 55 miles northeast of Pittsburgh. Ted Thompson has never been afraid of drafting small school guys. 18 of his 51 draft picks have been from non-BCS conferences. He’s even drafted a couple Division II players in the past with Allen Barbre and Dave Tollefson.

Being from a Division II school, Owusu-Ansah hasn’t faced great competition so that makes it kind of hard to gauge how good he really is. The jump from the receivers he faced in college to the ones he’ll face in the NFL is huge. Lining up against Calvin Johnson would be quite a shock for someone who’s used to playing against Southern Connecticut State, Slippery Rock, and Mercyhurst. It could take him a while to make that adjustment to the pro game.

Other than that he checks out pretty well. His size and build are very good for a corner and he has the speed and agility to move with it. He’s able to cover a lot of ground in the secondary. In 2008 he showed off his play making ability by picking off 8 passes. As displayed in that stat he plays aggressively and is aware of what’s going on around him. As a bonus he’s also a very good returner, averaging almost 26 yards per kick return and 11 per punt return.

Fourth Round: Pick #122

Now in the second half of the draft the talent has really thinned out. That doesn’t mean that good players can’t be found though. Six of Thompson’s eight fourth round picks are still on the roster. Four of those (TJ Lang, Josh Sitton, Allen Barbre, Brady Poppinga) have been a starter at some point in their career. That’s some encouraging history for this pick.

Defensive lineman Torrell Troup, tight end Garrett Graham, cornerback Kevin Thomas, safety Darrell Stuckey, safety Kam Chancellor, and running back LeGarrette Blount are some players that could be the pick at 122. Troup is a short and wide lineman that fit in as a nose tackle in the 3-4. He’d battle with Harrell for that 6th line spot. Garrett Graham is the receiving type tight end that the Packers like and would be the best available at his position. JerMichael Finley is heading towards stardom, but Donald Lee has become replaceable. Kevin Thomas would add competition and depth to the secondary. He’s an athletic corner with a lot of upside, but needs to develop yet. Stuckey and Chancellor would do the same at safety as Thomas would at corner. The two safeties are contrasting in styles. Chancellor is a big, 230lb, more in the box type of safety; Stuckey is more balanced and better in coverage. LeGarrette Blount is a long shot based on his history of trouble, and how the Packers like high character guys. His on the field ability may be enough to take a chance on him with a fourth round pick. He’s a big and powerful back that could really help out on the goal line and with short yardage. In 2008 he scored 17 touchdowns, all on the ground.

With the 122nd pick in the 2010 NFL Draft the Green Bay Packers select…

…Torrell Troup, Defensive Lineman out of Central Florida

While nose tackle isn’t really a need with Ryan Pickett and BJ Raji at the position already, it is a premium position that is hard to find. It’s not often that a decent nose tackle prospect is available in the fourth round, so when there is it makes sense to take him. Troup could take some time to develop on the bench and then eventually be in a rotation with Raji once Pickett loses his effectiveness.

Troup is a true nose tackle in that the sole reason he’s there is to take double teams. He’s a great run stuffer that can handle multiple blockers. He’s not going to give anything in terms of rushing the passer, but that’s ok. He’s able to use his lack of height to get leverage on the offensive lineman and prevent them from moving him.

Fifth Round: Picks #154 and #169

After the fourth round it starts to become a crapshoot. This is the place to take a chance on those high potential players that also have a high bust factor. If they don’t turn out it’s not much of a loss, so they’re worth a shot. The Packers have two picks this round as they received 169 as a comp pick.

Players to look for in this round are wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders, offensive tackle Sam Young, outside linebacker O’Brien Schofield, inside linebacker Phillip Dillard, quarterback Jevan Snead, safety Darian Stewart, and running back Trindon Holliday. Sanders is one of the fastest receivers in the draft and has performed at a high level in college. Sam Young is a big right tackle that would help improve the run game. Schofield is an outstanding pass rusher who would have gone higher if not for an injury. Philip Dillard is a bigger linebacker that could be a thumper inside a 3-4. Snead disappointed as a college passer, but could be better in the pros. Stewart is a decent sized safety with good speed who could potentially play either safety position. Trindon Holliday has a blazing 4.34 40 yard dash and would be drafted solely for his ability as a return man.

With the 154th pick in the 2010 NFL Draft the Green Bay Packers select…

…O’Brien Schofield, Outside Linebacker out of Wisconsin

Hometown boy O’Brien Schofield is a prime example of a high risk high reward player. He was impressive during the senior bowl practices and was rising up draft boards. It was looking as if he had a legit shot at being a second round pick. He then blew out his ACL and now he finds himself here in the fifth.

Schofield’s ability as a pass rusher makes him a good prospect as a 3-4 outside linebacker. He played some linebacker at senior bowl practices prior to the injury and seemed to be making a natural transition. He’ll still have a lot to learn, but it should be something he’s capable of doing successfully.

As a rookie Schofield will likely be placed on injured reserve to allow him to fully recover from his injury. It would be used almost as a redshirt year. He could learn the responsibilities and concepts as the new position as he sits his first year and then come back strong in 2011.

With the 169th pick in the 2010 NFL Draft the Green Bay Packers select…

…Emmanuel Sanders, Wide Receiver out of Southern Methodist

Sanders fits what the Packers want in a receiver pretty well. He has polished route running and can get separation. He’s also good at getting yards after the catch. At 186lbs he’s a bit undersized, but his height is decent at almost 5’11”. His 4.41 40 yard dash time would make him the fastest receiver on the team.

The Packers are pretty well set at the receiver position, but that hasn’t stopped Ted Thompson from drafting more in the past. Last year was the first year he didn’t draft a wide receiver. Every other year he has taken two. Sanders could be brought in to compete with Swain for the 5th wide receiver spot. If he doesn’t get it he’d hopefully pass through waivers so he could be kept on the practice squad.

Sixth Round: Pick #192

Cornerback Nolan Carroll, cornerback AJ Jefferson, inside linebacker Micah Johnson, quarterback Mike Kafka, and center Jeff Byers are potential 6th round picks for the Packers. Carroll is a very athletic corner with top speed, but hasn’t put it all together. Jefferson is fast and is good in press coverage. Micah Johnson is a 258lb inside linebacker that could plug up running lanes in the middle of the defense. Kafka is a project quarterback. Byers is a zone blocking fit that can play center or guard.

With the 192nd pick in the 2010 NFL Draft the Green Bay Packers select…

…Mike Kafka, Quarterback out of Northwestern

Matt Flynn outplayed former second round pick Brian Brohm to take the backup job, but he hasn’t been overly impressive. Flynn has probably maxed out his potential already and will be a career backup. Adding a developmental quarterback such as Kafka would be a good move.

Kafka wasn’t a fulltime starter until his senior year at Northwestern. He threw for 16 touchdowns with 12 interceptions, but then he also had 8 touchdowns rushing. The athleticism and mobility he has at the quarterback position is intriguing. It’s not like he’s a bad passer either. He doesn’t have too strong of an arm, but he’s very accurate. Given a few years McCarthy might be able to unlock Kafka’s potential and maybe trade him off for a nice haul a la Matt Schaub.

Seventh Round: Pick #230

With the final pick defensive lineman Boo Robinson, cornerback Walter McFadden, punter Zoltan Mesko, and safety Nick Polk could be the choice. Robinson would be looked to be moved from a 4-3 defensive tackle to a 3-4 end. McFadden is a high speed corner, Mesko was a successful college punter, and Polk is a balanced safety.

With the 230th pick in the 2010 NFL Draft the Green Bay Packers select…

…Zoltan Mesko, Punter out of Michigan

Since the Packers let Josh Bidwell walk in free agency the punting situation has not been good. Jon Ryan was solid for a while, but then they got rid of him. Currently there is no punter on the roster with NFL experience. It’s time to solve this problem.

Mesko has a powerful leg and had an average of 44.5 his senior year. He’s also able to pin it inside the 20. Unlike most punters Mesko is a good athlete. He ran a 4.75 40 and put up 16 bench reps at the combine.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:04 PM    (permalink
jackalope
Pro Bowler

jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I also wrote a watered-down predraft writeup, and oddly enough had four of the same picks in my GB mock (Brown, Akwasi, Schofield, Kafka).

Sig thanks to mockalicious
jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:54 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

I saw a f***** mock in me Sporting News Magazine a week ago that had use drafting the punter Zoltan Mesko. In the third f***** round!
WTF? Do they think Mike Sherman is back in the war room, trading up for BJ Sander?
Old 04-22-2010, 11:38 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

B I N G O

Both Rick Gosselin & Bob McGinn's Final First Round Mocks have the Packers taking the guy that I want: JERRY HUUUUUUGHESZZZZZZZZ.

God, please let the Goose and McGinn be right this time. They are both usually very accurate compared to most.

I'm not holding my breath though.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...k.3cacf47.html

23. GREEN BAY PACKERS
Jerry Hughes, Outside linebacker, TCU
Dom Capers would like to give the Packers a version of the Blitzburgh scheme he ran in Pittsburgh in the 1990s. He has one elite pass rusher in Clay Matthews, and Hughes would give Capers pressure from the other side.

From McGinn:
23. GREEN BAY PACKERS: Jerry Hughes, OLB, Texas Christian
The best way to defend the pass is to rush the passer, which is Hughes' calling card. Just don't rule out a venture upward if Pouncey, Bulaga or Davis slide within range.