Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Carolina Panthers Team Forum

Carolina Panthers Team Forum Discuss the Panthers

Old 04-23-2010, 07:25 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Panthers Draft Thread

We just picked Jimmy Clausen, what are thoughts and comments?

I think its a good pick, I'm not Clausen's biggest fan I think he is a lot of talk and not that much production winning wise. I still see Moore as the QB of this team and so should the front office.

We gotta do something about our defensive ends
ShutDwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:34 PM    (permalink
dj825
Rookie

dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think it was stupid because even though its great value its not a huge need. DE or DT is the biggest need we have and we passed on several very good players for a player that we not only dont need but also has an ego that rivals Jay Cutlers.
dj825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:08 PM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm a huge Matt Moore homer (have been from day 1 when we got him from the Cowgirls)

I absolutely hate Jimmy Clausen and his entire family

And somehow I'm still ok with this pick. There just aren't many chances a franchise gets to take a guy that could be a top tier QB. And when that guy can be had for 2nd round money and investment where he wont murder your team if he busts? Yea...
SchizophrenicBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:21 PM    (permalink
dj825
Rookie

dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i agree with that i love the value but i just dissagree with it because its not a need. now what do yall think of LaFell? i wish wed have taken Cam Thomas Everson Griffen or Corey Wootten but im ok with LaFell and i do like it.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:54 PM    (permalink
dj825
Rookie

*facepalm* idk what to say other than that...really
Old 04-23-2010, 10:13 PM    (permalink
dj825
Rookie

IF Carolina uses Edwards in the Wildcat im happy with it if they use him as a receiver only (which is prolly whatll happen) then im pretty unhappy
Old 04-23-2010, 10:34 PM    (permalink
scpanther22
Rookie

scpanther22 could make a wolverine purr.scpanther22 could make a wolverine purr.scpanther22 could make a wolverine purr.scpanther22 could make a wolverine purr.scpanther22 could make a wolverine purr.scpanther22 could make a wolverine purr.

I hate the edwards pick...everything else I am ok with.
scpanther22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:35 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj825 View Post
IF Carolina uses Edwards in the Wildcat im happy with it if they use him as a receiver only (which is prolly whatll happen) then im pretty unhappy
Yeah I know what you mean, I don't know why we traded up for him when he will take forever to develop into anything more than a gimmick. I think that he would make for a super fast Jevon Bess.

I would understand this if they felt that we were going to be super weak at QB and with our runningbacks and would need to be creative but we have steve smith, deangelo williams, and Matt Moore was doing so well.

I'm warming up to the Clausen pick, maybe we can come out with a Brees/River situation? Haha I don't know about Brees but maybe they can both turn into something?

I was reading about Lefell and he was compared to Bowe. I know he of course could just be Jarrett, but I would love to have a Bowe type receiver.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:54 PM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lafell sounds like he's either going to be Moose or Jarrett, no in between

Trading up for Edwards was stupid but whatever. At least we still have next year's first.

This has been a huge boom or bust draft
Old 04-23-2010, 11:07 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicBatman View Post
Lafell sounds like he's either going to be Moose or Jarrett, no in between

Trading up for Edwards was stupid but whatever. At least we still have next year's first.

This has been a huge boom or bust draft
Honestly it will probably be the latter. Outside of one year from Colbert we haven't drafted a receiver worth anything since Steve Smith.

They seem like they had their hearts set on Edwards from what I've read. I'm really wondering what they are planning with him because it must be big in order to trade up for him like that.

At least we have gotten first round talent in the second round two years in a row... Now lets see them play that way.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:18 AM    (permalink
dj825
Rookie

Im warming up to the Clausen pick too and really think he was and is the best QB in the draft so on one end im happy we got him but at the same time i was hoping to see Moore play and even if we do see Moore what about Clausen? based on what ive heard about his attitude he wont wanna be a backup to a former Undrafted Rookie FA even if Moore does prove hes better. with LaFell i think their were better WRs on the board but i agree having a Bowe type of receiver would be great as long as we have consistent QB play. that being said we need more help on the DL mainly the DT position where we have...yeah pretty much noone and several very good DTs were on the board i mean id rather see them take Cody than trade up to take Clausen or Clausen then Cody even though i dont particularly like Cody. as for Edwards i like him as a player and hes someone that had we not taken Clausen earlier on id like to see in a Panther uniform but after taking Clausen its pointless and if they wanna move him to receiver than why not just take one of the many solid receiver still on the board rather than taking a college QB who will be there in the 4th-6th rounds prolly after youve taken players that you need? i still dont understand but maybe when the season comes theyll make it clear on the field cuz you know Fox or Hurney hate telling ppl what theyre thinking
Old 04-24-2010, 03:31 AM    (permalink
simmy1989
Rookie

simmy1989 is a cocksman.simmy1989 is a cocksman.simmy1989 is a cocksman.simmy1989 is a cocksman.

I wasn't too high on the Clausen pick at first, but then I relized we got a top 10 player at the 48th pick. I like Matt Moore and what he did last year and I think he should be given a chance to start, but I don't want this Moore/Clausen stuff. At the start of the regular season we need to make a commitment to one of them and stick to that. I think Clausen is a excellant fit for us.

The Lafell pick im 50/50 on, he seems like he's a hard worker and has decent size to make for a big target. But when I hear this lack of consistency and immature player I think of the next Dwayne Jarrett, so idk I think he's a wait and see player but good competition for Jarrett in camp for No.2 WR.

I personally love the Edwards pick, I think he would have been there at 4 or 5, but when you really want something you have to overpay for it and I think this was the case. I love this kid in the wildcat package and I have been screaming for us to work the wildcat in. If the Dolphins are successful with it, just think what we could do with our O-line, Williams and Stewart + Steve Smith. I was wanting Vick, but I'll settle for Edwards who is a very exciting and athletic player

Now for Round 4 tomorrow here is some players I think we need to look at

DE Everson Griffen, USC - Fits a need and upside being I think he was a 90/100 grade as a prospect.

OT Bruce Campbell, Maryland - Never can have too much O-Line depth and even though we have Gross and Otah this kid offers upside and would have time to develop. So if the Panthers front office likes him I wouldn't be too upset with picking him.

DT's Geno Atkins, Georgia and Cam Thomas, North Carolina - We need another DT to add to the rotation and I think either one of these guys are going to be starter level players in the NFL so these two are good selections.

TE Dennis Pitta, BYU - I'm not a huge fan of picking him, but I hear he's a very good receiving threat at TE and the TE's we have are not very good pass catching treats. If the players I mentioned above are all gone at our 4th round pick I wouldn't be upset to see him come to Carolina.

Just my thoughts :)
simmy1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:53 AM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmy1989 View Post
I wasn't too high on the Clausen pick at first, but then I relized we got a top 10 player at the 48th pick. I like Matt Moore and what he did last year and I think he should be given a chance to start, but I don't want this Moore/Clausen stuff. At the start of the regular season we need to make a commitment to one of them and stick to that. I think Clausen is a excellant fit for us.

The Lafell pick im 50/50 on, he seems like he's a hard worker and has decent size to make for a big target. But when I hear this lack of consistency and immature player I think of the next Dwayne Jarrett, so idk I think he's a wait and see player but good competition for Jarrett in camp for No.2 WR.

I personally love the Edwards pick, I think he would have been there at 4 or 5, but when you really want something you have to overpay for it and I think this was the case. I love this kid in the wildcat package and I have been screaming for us to work the wildcat in. If the Dolphins are successful with it, just think what we could do with our O-line, Williams and Stewart + Steve Smith. I was wanting Vick, but I'll settle for Edwards who is a very exciting and athletic player

Now for Round 4 tomorrow here is some players I think we need to look at

DE Everson Griffen, USC - Fits a need and upside being I think he was a 90/100 grade as a prospect.

OT Bruce Campbell, Maryland - Never can have too much O-Line depth and even though we have Gross and Otah this kid offers upside and would have time to develop. So if the Panthers front office likes him I wouldn't be too upset with picking him.

DT's Geno Atkins, Georgia and Cam Thomas, North Carolina - We need another DT to add to the rotation and I think either one of these guys are going to be starter level players in the NFL so these two are good selections.

TE Dennis Pitta, BYU - I'm not a huge fan of picking him, but I hear he's a very good receiving threat at TE and the TE's we have are not very good pass catching treats. If the players I mentioned above are all gone at our 4th round pick I wouldn't be upset to see him come to Carolina.

Just my thoughts :)
Good thoughts, I think we really need to go defense from here on out and hope someone develops. Defensive line is a must.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:37 AM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

Norwood is the first pick I really like. And we traded down too!
Old 04-24-2010, 02:38 PM    (permalink
simmy1989
Rookie

simmy1989 is a cocksman.simmy1989 is a cocksman.simmy1989 is a cocksman.simmy1989 is a cocksman.

I like the Norwood pick, though we really needed to get a DT at 4 but this Norwood kid seems like a hard worker and a decent pass rusher we can use on 3rd downs, and we need pass rushers now that J Pep is gone. Also smart to trade down and acquire an extra 6th and still be able to get a top 10 LB in this years draft

Love the first 6th rounder in DE Greg Hardy out of Ole Miss, we need as many young d-lineman we can get and some sites had this kid as one of the top 20 players remaining going into the start of round 4. So excellant value here and I hear this kid has some upside.

Overall im excitied about how we are improving after being not so excited going into the draft. But we are not done yet so here are some prospects still on the board that i would like to see us target with out last 5 picks.

TE Dorin Dickerson, Pittsburgh - The more I read about this kid, I see a lot of upside with him, yes he's only 6'1 which is undersized for a TE, but he is quite the athlete and pass catcher for a college TE and we could use this kid in pass situations on offense as I am not a fan of our current TE's although they work hard and are decent, I just think this kid is excellant value at #198 overall and someone we could work with.

OT Selvish Capers, West Virginia - I like this kids size and I think he would be a great value to add to our O-line depth

DE George Selvie, South Florida - I am a huge fan of this kid for the Panthers to take, not the ideal body numbers your looking for, but again were talking 6th and 7th round so these players will need some working with. But I watched a few games of this kid at South Florida and he seems like hard worker who could be a productive starter at the NFL level at the most.

S Myron Rolle, Florida State - I know this kid has questions about his education and if he's really committed to football, but this kid has great football IQ and is very smart and instinctive, I think he's a great player and person and someone that would be a great backup to add to our secondary.

I know we need DT's, but I don't see any potential in any of the remaining DT's left. I see a couple of CB's left that could be good and, but here's a couple WR's that I really like late that I would like to see added with one of our 7th round picks.

Danario Alexander, Missouri - Huge target at 6'5" that we could work with and if he pans out he could be a solid NFL player in 2-3 years

Freddie Barnes, Bowling Green - You can't argue with this kids production even though it was at Bowling Green. I love this kid and I think he has great potential to be a very good No.2 WR in the NFL. I would be excited to see him in a Panther uniform.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:18 PM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

not digging these 6th rounders so far. The Baylor WR sounds like a TC cut and Pugh is a no name from a big time conference - those guys never work out for us

edit: and we took Tony Pike lmao
Old 04-24-2010, 03:24 PM    (permalink
simmy1989
Rookie

Not so hot on our last three 6th rounders, why did we draft Pike, I though Cantwell was gonna be No.3, idk but I guess we got a top 5 qb prospect in round 6, Kiper seems to like the Baylor WR we got he was a good high school player that never reached potential in college. The CB out of Texas A&M was a productive starter there, but couldn't find much info on him.

Really hope we take Dickerson/Selvie/Barnes with our two 7th rounders
Old 04-24-2010, 04:03 PM    (permalink
simmy1989
Rookie

The CB out of Utah we took with our first 7th Rounder runs a 4.44 40 and 37.5 vert jump, so seems like a decent athlete

with picks #249 and UDFA's I would like us to end up with............
TE Dorin Dickerson, Pittsburgh
OT Selvish Capers, West Virginia
DE George Selvie, South Florida
WR Danario Alexander, Missouri
WR Freddie Barnes, Bowling Green

I also would like to see a young rookie kicker come in, someone like Tiffin from Alabama or the Texas kicker Lawerance
Old 04-24-2010, 06:39 PM    (permalink
dj825
Rookie

im not a fan of Greg Hardy but i love that we got him in the 6th round, i know he was injured alot but i think he can turn out to be a solid NFL starter in a few years if he can stay healthy. i really wish wed have gotten a Cam Thomas in the 4th but i like Norwood alot, hes someone i had going in the early to mid 2nd so again great value pick that also adds a little more competition for the spot Diggs vacated. Ive always liked Pike but i dont really understand why we had to take him over...idk anyone? i stil wish wed have grabbed Everson Griffen though id have loved to see him in a Panther uniform