Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 04-23-2010, 05:15 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
Again, good luck. Hurd and Ogletree didnt see the field much with Roy Williams dropping everything thrown in his direction. And Witten/Bennett line up at WR frequently. Our 4th WR doesnt have a great role on this team. Maybe that changes, but things got much cloudier.
We'll see, but you can quote me, and bookmark me on it. Ogletree won't be a huge part of the offense until he's officially the slot WR in his 3rd year, but he's going to see a huge bump in production and I'm very confident in saying so.

Of course he didn't see the field much last year, he was an UDFA and had to carve out a role. It's not point in comparing him to Hurd though.

As much as we like Hurd, how long as he been here now? Last year Ogletree was an UDFA yet he found a way to get WR screens to be run specifically for him on critical 3rd downs more then once. When have we ever drawn up plays specifically for Hurd in crucial situations?

It's very easy to look at last year and tell we have big plans for him on being more and more involved, otherwise we don't go out of our way to find a place for him to make an impact last year. I never saw him as an outside starter anyway, he's going to be our #3 and work the slot and get his chances when he can. RW will start out as the #2 with Dez as the #4, and we all know it won't be long before Dez takes the #2 WR job before long if it's a fair competition.

I expect Ogletree to be the slot WR no later then week 4 and he'll take the job and won't look back. He may even start the season out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:21 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Are they really going to give Ogletree a larger role than Bryant, initially? I dont think so at all, they're not going to be able to keep Dez off the field. If anything, Bryant will be lining up in the slot, if we move Crayton. And the Bryant addition is going to dip into Crayton and Ogletree's reps as well, if Crayton stays. It's tough to predict because we dont know what the final core will be. But there isnt going to be a lot of reps to go around. As one of the dmn guys said earlier, you cant be too happy if you're Sam Hurd or Kevin Ogletree today.

We typically only play the top three guys...and that's Miles, Roy, and Dez. So, it's going to be tough to get others on the field. I like Ogletree, but right now...I just see him taking Hurd's role. A more prominent role on ST and a few more reps. But it doesnt look great for him right now, either. Dont get me wrong...that's just for this year, though. Because once Roy is finally gone, he can step into a much larger role, but until that happens...he'll probably be riding pine.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 12:06 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oh Boy...

By Calvin Watkins
IRVING, Texas -- Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones didn't rule out the possiblity of recently cut left tackle Flozell Adams returning to the team.

Adams, released on Good Friday, started 178 of 182 games for the Cowboys since he became a second round pick in the 1998 draft.

The Cowboys have basically given Doug Free the starting left tackle spot, but Jones wouldn't mind a little insurance.

"I haven’t ruled out anything, at all," Jones said of Adams. "That's not an impossibility, but I haven’t ruled that out."

Jordan Woy, Adams' agent, said Friday night his client wants to start somewhere, "but we would not close the door without talking."
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 12:08 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cowboys | Marcus Spears and others being shopped
Fri, 23 Apr 2010 16:42:51 -0400
The Dallas Cowboys have been offering DE Marcus Spears, LB Bobby Carpenter and WR Sam Hurd have been offered up to other teams via trade, reports Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com.

Can't wait for the fireworks tomorrow!!! Bright and early at 4 FREAKEN AM HAWAII STANDARD TIME!!!!!
Old 04-24-2010, 12:09 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was going to ask what time it started for you. You're a trooper. haha.

I really do hope we find Hurd a good situation if we move him.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 12:10 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Oh Boy...

By Calvin Watkins
IRVING, Texas -- Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones didn't rule out the possiblity of recently cut left tackle Flozell Adams returning to the team.

Adams, released on Good Friday, started 178 of 182 games for the Cowboys since he became a second round pick in the 1998 draft.

The Cowboys have basically given Doug Free the starting left tackle spot, but Jones wouldn't mind a little insurance.

"I havenít ruled out anything, at all," Jones said of Adams. "That's not an impossibility, but I havenít ruled that out."

Jordan Woy, Adams' agent, said Friday night his client wants to start somewhere, "but we would not close the door without talking."
Actually wouldn't mind giving him a shot at playing guard. He still has the strength and his shortfall (speed rushers) will be masked by playing inside. If he's coming back solely to backup LT I'm a little less enthused.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:57 AM    (permalink
Go Cowboys
Pro Bowler

Location: Springfield, OH: Most Depressing City in the Country. Look it up
Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Cowboys | Marcus Spears and others being shopped
Fri, 23 Apr 2010 16:42:51 -0400
The Dallas Cowboys have been offering DE Marcus Spears, LB Bobby Carpenter and WR Sam Hurd have been offered up to other teams via trade, reports Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com.

Can't wait for the fireworks tomorrow!!! Bright and early at 4 FREAKEN AM HAWAII STANDARD TIME!!!!!
Don't they understand people need sleep? Why are we doing this so early? Because we love the draft!

Thanks to bonekrusher for the sig
Go Cowboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:49 AM    (permalink
herniateddisc
Veteran

herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wold love to see Sam go to a team he can play #3. I would love to see Carp go to a team that need an OLB in a 4-3. I would love to see Spears in a 4-3 team also. Gives our younger guys reps which I love -- gives them a better future.

I would prefer future choices however or Vet-4-Vet if possible.
herniateddisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 01:20 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

So with the draft having come and gone, we still need to address a few things before the start of the season. Mainly, a veteran backup LT, a starting caliber FS, and a kicker to compete with Buehler (though I'm hearing that he's been a workout maniac trying to hone his skill down this offseason).

We should start to see teams cutting players and I know Jerry still plans to try to work out trades, so that is promising. At this point Atogwe really sounds like an option that would put us over the top. I don't see us going for a big name OT. It's gotta be a guy who is willing to back up Free.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:55 PM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

ESPN just reported the REDSKINS of all people are talking with Flozell.

They drafted Trent Williams 1st & a center later, they must have zero confidence in their OL which was godawful last yr.

Just imagine the trash talk between Go With the Flozell & Dallas d-linemen across the LOS if the Skins pick him up, LOL

Last edited by LizardState : 04-25-2010 at 02:02 PM.
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 02:07 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardState View Post
ESPN just reported the REDSKINS of all people are talking with Flozell.

They drafted Trent Williams 1st & a center later, they must have zero confidence in their OL which was godawful last yr.

Just imagine the trash talk between Go With the Flozell & Dallas d-linemen across the LOS if the Skins pick him up, LOL
They were talking with him before the draft. That's where I expect him to end up.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:20 PM    (permalink
Go Cowboys
Pro Bowler

Location: Springfield, OH: Most Depressing City in the Country. Look it up
Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
They were talking with him before the draft. That's where I expect him to end up.
That would be a sad sad day, hopefully he does what Larry Allen did and comes back to retire as a Cowboy when that day comes.

Thanks to bonekrusher for the sig
Go Cowboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:44 AM    (permalink
DallCowby1
Rookie

DallCowby1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DallCowby1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DallCowby1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DallCowby1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DallCowby1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DallCowby1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DallCowby1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DallCowby1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DallCowby1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DallCowby1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DallCowby1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Targets on a trade up were Mike Iupati, Earl Thomas & Dez Bryant!

Trade down is always an option with the Cowboys!

IF the Cowboys could not have traded up or down and had to stay at #27 and make a selection. I heard this morning that Dallas would have selected one of the Penn State players (Odrick or Lee)!

Now knowing where Dallas had Lee rated (a 1st rd. pick)!

How would have everyone reacted if Jerry pulled the trigger on Sean Lee at #27?

I would have been pissed!!!!! lol We were that close to a meltdown draft!
DallCowby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:16 PM    (permalink
chrlopez1
Veteran

chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default 2010-2011

Draft is over and I think we can all agree that we came out with more positive news than negative news. Just the fact that we got a top 10 WR is a plus for me. I have already read the trade request for some of our WR and LB and just for the sake of argument I don't think we will get much by trading them now. Training camp is a season in itself and I think we will keep most of our players until the end of the 4 game. Regarding the FA signings and some blogs regarding Church and some WR I think it doesn't matter if they can't make the team..............we can always stash them away on the practice team.

You have to remember that most teams keep their own FA signings on their practice team.....the don't go and get one from another team and add them to their practice team. I know it does happen, but not as much as one thinks.

WR - Austin, Williams, Crayton, Oggletree, Hurd and now Bryant........Honestly we can't cut Williams and have only Crayton. Crayton would become to valuable. Will Bryant start? No....I think the future looks like Austin, Bryant and Oggletreee, but the future is not here yet. Could I see Willimas getting cut next summer....yes....and I think having Crayton here would only help. I would hate to see Hurd leave, but I think he will be replaced with Oggletree on special teams and development. Can we trade him...........maybbe a conditional 6 or 7 but only after the 4 preseason game when WR start getting hurt...but we are not getting anything more. Crayton.....the same. He is a veteran.....and he position requuires speed which he really neveer had, but he is a crafty veteran. He is like Kelvin Williams..(K-mart) from the 90's)

LB.....Carpenter will probably be traded....but not for any value. I think maybe for 6 or 7 maybe a 5th if he can start. I think we might get extra 6 and 7 round picks.
chrlopez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:51 PM    (permalink
herniateddisc
Veteran

herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Flo in a ZBS?

ROTFLMAO, that is all about pissing off the Cowboys.
herniateddisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:37 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by herniateddisc View Post
Flo in a ZBS?

ROTFLMAO, that is all about pissing off the Cowboys.
Good point! I never connected the dots on that one. That would be epic failure.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:04 PM    (permalink
UTPATS
Veteran

UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallCowby1 View Post
Targets on a trade up were Mike Iupati, Earl Thomas & Dez Bryant!

Trade down is always an option with the Cowboys!

IF the Cowboys could not have traded up or down and had to stay at #27 and make a selection. I heard this morning that Dallas would have selected one of the Penn State players (Odrick or Lee)!

Now knowing where Dallas had Lee rated (a 1st rd. pick)!

How would have everyone reacted if Jerry pulled the trigger on Sean Lee at #27?

I would have been pissed!!!!! lol We were that close to a meltdown draft!
Dez was the right choice there, but let's say...

We took Lee at 27, not trading up, just at 27.

Knowing where they had him rated, fine, take that pick.

But, they would need to trade up higher in the seconded and landed another playmaker... Who would that have been?

After looking back at the board, I wouldn't be as happy with any other two, given the situation.
UTPATS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:03 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I see the release of Crayton inevitable before the season starts. Crayton has been solid for us but A) he won't accept being a 4/5 on our team and B) He'll just prevent the progression of Oggletree.

Hurd is another guy who will be gone.

I'm holding out hope for Roy, at least for one final season. The guy has ability to be good, hopefully he can put it all together this season. A lot of it has to do with the trust that Romo has in him, which is none. Hopefully they can rebuild that this offseason.

Roy has to realize that this is his last shot with us, especially with the drafting of Bryant. I think that could light a fire under his butt, at least I hope so.
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:34 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Roy really steps up his play he's just making him more enticing as trade bait, that's all. His time here is done no matter what the situation ends up being.

I think Patty is gone too, he's lost his job as the PR man, and the slot WR would be better suited being Ogletree or Dez at this point. I love everything Crayton has done in his time here, he catches a bad wrap for a few drops when he's really been as reliable as they come for a 7th round QB.

There just isn't any room for him. I'd love to keep Hurd also but he's not going to ever crack the top 3 rotation for us, but he's alot more valuable to us on ST's.

Crayton not returning punts really has no place with us anymore.

Quote:
Old 04-26-2010, 06:46 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Crayton is already out the door. Hurd is the 2nd choice out of the door provided he gets decent value as trade bait. But if it's a choice between Crayton or Hurd it'll always be Crayton out the door.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:08 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

I think there is some unwarranted excitement over Ogletree right now. All we've seen are flashes. Let's not be so quick to crown him.

Ogletree isn't your typical slot receiver. He's a big 6'2, 190 WR. If it were up to me, I'd want to find someone who is quicker in their breaks, a really sharp route runner who is good at finding soft zones, willing to go across the middle and chew up the field. To me, he's more of the split end mold, but to get more playing time... ...slot has been a way to get him on the field.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:32 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Quote:
I think there is some unwarranted excitement over Ogletree right now. All we've seen are flashes. Let's not be so quick to crown him.

Ogletree isn't your typical slot receiver. He's a big 6'2, 190 WR. If it were up to me, I'd want to find someone who is quicker in their breaks, a really sharp route runner who is good at finding soft zones, willing to go across the middle and chew up the field. To me, he's more of the split end mold, but to get more playing time... ...slot has been a way to get him on the field.

Our offense puts alot of different types in the slot though. Martellus does it alot, Witten does it, Roy lined up there, Austin was there quite a bit too. I'd expect to see Dez inside alot too, or kick him outside and Austin in the slot also.

I would of loved a McCluster type to be the slot, but we don't have that guy. And to be honest, was Crayton ever really a guy who was "quicker in their breaks, sharp route runner" type of guy? He was just a guy who could find the soft spots in the defense, with good hands. I don't see that much of a difference between him and Ogletree besides the fact that Ogletree is more explosive. Crayton isn't really an ideal slot guy in those terms you used.

I'll admit all Ogletree has shown is flashes, but during his rookie season that's all Felix Jones showed us, that's all we had to go by for most players before they broke out. I don't think Ogletree is a future pro bowler but I do think it's very obvious to see he's a very good WR who will continually get better. It spoke volumes to me that the coaching staff was trying to find ways and specific plays to get an UDFA the ball in key situations as a rookie, you don't do that just to be nice or spread the ball around, they see it too.

He knew how to do the little things that veterans knew how to do, get both of his feet down, find the 1st down marker, run great routes, excellent hands, we knew we had something with him and he was just way further along then your average rookie WR, let alone one who wasn't drafted.

I've probably been the biggest advocate of his around here, but I haven't crowned him anything other then a very solid WR which he was already last year. The moment was never too big for him, and just like any young WR he's going to continue to get better. I really don't think all your slot WR's have to be little tiny guys like Wes Welker.

Crayton is 6-0 204, Ogletree is 6-0 195. Ogletree is far more explosive, he's also only 22 years old when the season starts.

If Crayton was a slot WR all those years for us, no reason Ogletree would be a bad or less then ideal fit.

Quote:
Old 04-26-2010, 08:49 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Remember... in limited time, there's also less opportunity/visibility to see mistakes and weaknesses. Remember when Crayton got labeled as the guy with the "best hands"??? Yeah, things changed once his playing time increased. I like Ogletree, don't get me wrong... his flashes were memorable. But I'm just siding on the side of caution. (I'm sure people think I'm an Ogletree hater now. lol).

Stacking him up against Crayton isn't what I had in mind. There's a reason why we don't like Crayton anymore. If the suggestion is that he can be a slot because Crayton was a slot and our TEs and other WRs were slots, that doesn't mean a lot to me.

Happy to say though... that we are one of the few teams out there that shouldn't be demanding of our slot WR. It's a pure luxury position. Having a hard working guy who is effective on the field like Ogletree/Hurd is good enough. I shouldn't sound like I'm bashing him, cause I'm not. I just think he's a normal role player who has flashed nice upside.

Last edited by D-Unit : 04-26-2010 at 08:52 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:59 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Quote:
Stacking him up against Crayton isn't what I had in mind. There's a reason why we don't like Crayton anymore. If the suggestion is that he can be a slot because Crayton was a slot and our TEs and other WRs were slots, that doesn't mean a lot to me.

Happy to say though... that we are one of the few teams out there that shouldn't be demanding of our slot WR. It's a pure luxury position. Having a hard working guy who is effective on the field like Ogletree/Hurd is good enough. I shouldn't sound like I'm bashing him, cause I'm not. I just think he's a normal role player.

Reason we don't like Crayton is because he's had got people behind him who can do a better job then he can at this point. He's 31 years old and had 6 solid years with us, he was never fast to begin with and he's gotten caught from behind by LBers multiple times, we weren't going to keep him forever and I would say his 6 year stint with us was very positive considering he was a former QB and a 7th round pick.

I'm just saying he was an ideal slot in his time with us, and we really had a good thing when he was the slot WR even if he wasn't what most would consider an "ideal" slot guy. For all we know the reason we don't want Crayton anymore is because Ogletree does everything he can do except better and with more explosion, and Dez just makes it a log jam and he's expendable.

I see what your saying, I just don't look at it like Ogletree won't be a bad fit in the slot, I really see that as his long term position here just as it was for Crayton. Hell with Austin and Dez on the team somebody has to be the slot WR, and I highly doubt we just brush him to the side.

You wanted Shipley really bad and he would be playing the slot WR role too for us, and honestly he's the exact same frame as Ogletree. What would of been different? I guess just seeing the success that Crayton had as a slot, I don't really think we need a smaller, quick twitch WR to make it work. I also don't think making him the slot is too much to ask of him right.

He'd be 4th or 5th in line for targets each play, and that's if everyone else broke down or was covered on the play, but with the confidence of Jerry, the coaching staff, and Romo that I noticed I think he's apart of our future one way or another.

Quote:
Old 04-26-2010, 09:06 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Reason we don't like Crayton is because he's had got people behind him who can do a better job then he can at this point. He's 31 years old and had 6 solid years with us, he was never fast to begin with and he's gotten caught from behind by LBers multiple times, we weren't going to keep him forever and I would say his 6 year stint with us was very positive considering he was a former QB and a 7th round pick.

I'm just saying he was an ideal slot in his time with us, and we really had a good thing when he was the slot WR even if he wasn't what most would consider an "ideal" slot guy. For all we know the reason we don't want Crayton anymore is because Ogletree does everything he can do except better and with more explosion, and Dez just makes it a log jam and he's expendable.

I see what your saying, I just don't look at it like Ogletree won't be a bad fit in the slot, I really see that as his long term position here just as it was for Crayton. Hell with Austin and Dez on the team somebody has to be the slot WR, and I highly doubt we just brush him to the side.

You wanted Shipley really bad and he would be playing the slot WR role too for us, and honestly he's the exact same frame as Ogletree. What would of been different? I guess just seeing the success that Crayton had as a slot, I don't really think we need a smaller, quick twitch WR to make it work. I also don't think making him the slot is too much to ask of him right.

He'd be 4th or 5th in line for targets each play, and that's if everyone else broke down or was covered on the play, but with the confidence of Jerry, the coaching staff, and Romo that I noticed I think he's apart of our future one way or another.
Oh. When I looked up Kevin Ogletree in google, the first link is wikipedia. So I clicked it and it said he was 6'2, 186. I didn't think that was your typical slot WR size.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Ogletree

A lot of people compared Shipley to Wes Welker, so that's one of the things that attracted me.