Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: What is the Best Defensive Scheme in the NFL?
3-4 67 46.21%
4-3 37 25.52%
Tampa 2 26 17.93%
Other 15 10.34%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-13-2007, 08:01 AM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses View Post
There is no best scheme.

It depends on your personnel, the other teams' personnel, and what plays/formations they run.
This is true, but I still voted anyway for 4-3 because I think it is the easiest to run, no matter what your personnel is.

Rest in Peace, themaninblack
eaglesalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:32 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You knew I had to post in this thread right?

The 3-4 is the ****. W00t w00t!

But in all seriousness, let me explain in detail why I feel the way I feel.

First and foremost, the poll is far too basic. Youre referring to formations, and the formations' individual scheme can vary greatly between coaching styles. The 4-3 has many variations, Cover 2 being an example of it. Then you have the 46, and hybrids etc, its too basic of a definition to define just as 4-3.

My favorite defense is the 3-4 base that Bill Parcells and Bill Bellichick run. The 2 gap 3-4 that is based on LB zone coverages and man coverages on the outside. Its passive in nature, but can be aggressive when need be. It doesn't live and die with the blitz, but can still manufacture an effective pass rush.

And its versatility makes it a good front against any offense. It has had success against great offenses of many types, the 49ers WCO of the 80s, the Buffalo Bills no huddle Air Coryell, the Colts no huddle, the 2 TE smashmouth offense of Joe Gibbs....its been proven to be an effective scheme against any type of offense thrown at it.

Thats why its the best. Its won 5 SBs and its effectiveness against any offensive scheme makes it better than any defense. Cover 2 schemes are vulnerable to the Air Coryell and 2 TE power run game, the 46 is vulnerable to the WCO, the conventional 4-3 and its variations are often too difficult to build with little flaws because its difficult finding elite talent in every position of the conventional 4-3, and its basic fronts are less confusing to Qbs.

The 3-4 is also better against the run, which is ultimately what defense is all about. I can go on and on, I love talking Xs and Os of the game. My favorite schemes of all time are Bill Parcell's 3-4, Buddy Ryan's 46, Tom Landry's Flex 4-3, and the hybrid defense that Denver ran in the early 80s (to this day, that was probably the most complex defense Ive seen. They used so many situational players and player substitutions in different fronts, its not even funny. Brilliant defense).
Old 03-13-2007, 12:09 PM    (permalink
Finsfan79
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Finsfan79 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsalltheway View Post
If I had the choice, I'd run a 4-3/3-4 hybrid like the Ravens and Fins.
agreed, pats run it (sometimes) and jets too
Finsfan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 12:26 PM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Ravens defense.
Vikes99ej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 12:52 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

too bad rex ryan isnt staying in baltimore past next season...although id love to see it, because what he does is amazing, someone will offer too much money to be a HC, and to bring that scheme to their team...

hell i would of welcomed him into dallas this yr as the HC, im curious as to how they draft this year for that defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 12:54 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
too bad rex ryan isnt staying in baltimore past next season...although id love to see it, because what he does is amazing, someone will offer too much money to be a HC, and to bring that scheme to their team...

hell i would of welcomed him into dallas this yr as the HC, im curious as to how they draft this year for that defense
well even though he probably will be gone soon im sure there is one assistant trying to learn it so we can continue to run it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 12:54 PM    (permalink
Eaglez.Fan
All-Pro

Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd run a 2-5. Two huge nose tackles, then 5 LB's.

In the NFL I'd say the 3-4 zone blitz like Dick LeBeau
Old 03-13-2007, 01:01 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here are the Wikipedia descriptions of the FB-34 defense that I love, and also the ZB34 defense

The 3-4 defense was originally devised by Bud Wilkinson at the University of Oklahoma in the late 1940s [17]. Former Patriots and Oklahoma coach Chuck Fairbanks is credited with being a major figure in first bringing the 3-4 defense to the NFL in 1974 [18]. Patriots defensive coordinator Hank Bullough made significant further innovations to the system [19]. Parcells was linebackers coach under Ron Erhardt as head coach of the Patriots in 1980 (after Fairbanks left for Colorado in 1978 and Bullough lost out on the head coaching position). When Parcells returned to the Giants as defensive coordinator under Ray Perkins in 1981, he brought the 3-4 defense with him.

Bill Belichick was initially exposed to the 3-4 defense while working as an assistant under Red Miller, head coach of the Denver Broncos and a former Patriots offensive coordinator under Fairbanks. Joe Collier was the defensive coordinator under Red Miller at the time [20], and his orange crush defense was very successful at stifling opposing offenses. The Broncos had decided to adopt the 3-4 in 1977. Bill Belichick subsequently refined his understanding of the 3-4 as a linebackers coach and defensive coordinator under Parcells with the Giants. Belichick returned the 3-4 defense back to New England when he become coach of the team in 2000 [21]. Romeo Crennel subsequently became defensive coordinator for the team.

The New England Patriots run a modified base 3-4 Chuck Fairbanks - Hank Bullough system [10] installed by Bill Belichick. The term 3-4 means that their base formation consists of 3 defensive linemen, 4 linebackers, and 4 defensive backs. It is believed that this gives the defense the greatest amount of flexibility because the linebackers are capable of doing any of the following: rushing the quarterback, tackling runners or dropping into coverage. At times the Patriots will shade their defensive linemen different ways, creating "over" or "under" defenses. Over and under defenses simply refer to the shift of the defensive linemen to the strong or weak side of the offense, respectively, and the rotation of the linebackers in the opposite direction.

--------------------
The 3-4 zone blitz defense was developed by Dick LeBeau as defensive coordinator of the Pittsburgh Steelers. It commonly calls upon linemen to be mobile enough to drop back into zone coverage in place of blitzing linebackers [25]. Elements of the 3-4 zone blitz defense have been incorporated over time into the modern Phillips 3-4.
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 01:24 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

showing the 3-3-5 no love

i would love to see a coach run that

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 01:36 PM    (permalink
TNewFan41
Veteran

TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.

The 3-4 that Wade Phillips runs. And now we have it, HAHAHA!!!!!!
Old 03-13-2007, 01:45 PM    (permalink
hugepunch
Rookie

hugepunch hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNewFan41 View Post
The 3-4 that Wade Phillips runs. And now we have it, HAHAHA!!!!!!
thats true man... he is a legend in his own time.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:50 PM    (permalink
The Legend
Pro Bowler

The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.

Wade Phillips and Demarcus Ware will be scary
The Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 01:53 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If you have the right players the 3-4 can be hard to get around.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:13 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm a big fan of the Tampa 2

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 03:21 PM    (permalink
BuffaloDraftGeek
Rookie

BuffaloDraftGeek hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

How can you leave 46 off?
Old 03-13-2007, 03:26 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What I have learned over the years, any front can work with the right personnel. No scheme is perfect. I've seen the ugly side of the 3-4 defense when it doesn't have the correct players to operate it. Atlanta had the worst defense in football when Wade Phillips was here. He goes to San Diego, now he's a defensive guru or something.

Last edited by Shiver : 03-13-2007 at 03:29 PM.
Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:32 PM    (permalink
Microphon200
Rookie

Microphon200 smells like sex panther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored of education View Post
If you don't know what the FB 34 is then don't ever quote me again.
You act like you know everything. If you knew half as much as you thought you did, then you would be a genious.

I know I'm not a genious. That's why I ask questions, and I can care less if you think they're dumb or not.
Microphon200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:34 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why did you have to make your the 3-4 is all about being sexy comment then? WHY?
Quote:
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:36 PM    (permalink
Microphon200
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored of education View Post
Why did you have to make your the 3-4 is all about being sexy comment then? WHY?
Because that's my opinion and I'm entitled to it.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:40 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

It's one sexy opinion Microphon200
Quote:
Old 03-13-2007, 08:45 PM    (permalink
BigDawg819
All-NFLDC

BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdReedUnstoppable View Post
I voted other because the best defensive system in the NFL is the "Organized Chaos" hybrid Defense that Rex Ryan has created, developed, and perfected.
BEST DEFENSIVE SCHEME IN THE NFL! 2006 BALTIMORE RAVENS #1 RATED DEFENSE.

Magical sig by OSUGiants

SSAEL....... its a new revolution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Job View Post
On another note, Nicklas Backstrom is amazingly good.
Quote:
Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

So new rule, NBA: Unless you have a root canal at halftime, SHUT UP AND PLAY!
BigDawg819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:46 PM    (permalink
BigDawg819
All-NFLDC

BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microphon200 View Post
Because that's my opinion and I'm entitled to it.
Your opinion reeks of Sex Panther......GET THE FIRE HOSE! :D

Magical sig by OSUGiants

SSAEL....... its a new revolution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Job View Post
On another note, Nicklas Backstrom is amazingly good.
Quote:
Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

So new rule, NBA: Unless you have a root canal at halftime, SHUT UP AND PLAY!
BigDawg819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:57 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As mentioned I love the 3-4 hybrid. The versatility of the players makes it very fun to watch. The Dolphins had the ideal personnel for it last season with players like Kevin Carter, Jason Taylor, and Channing Crowder.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:13 PM    (permalink
art vandelay
Team Leader
All-Pro

art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloDraftGeek View Post
How can you leave 46 off?
Because the West Coast Offense has basically made the 46 non-effective.
art vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:22 PM    (permalink
Microphon200
Rookie

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDawg819 View Post
Your opinion reeks of Sex Panther......GET THE FIRE HOSE! :D
Why am I a sex panther now?