Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Tampa Bay Buccaneers Team Forum

Tampa Bay Buccaneers Team Forum Discuss the Bucs

Old 04-24-2010, 05:03 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Grade our Draft

Pretty simple guys, what do you think we deserve after initial analysis?

1) Gerald McCoy - Obvious pick. Should be a super star in this league.
2) Brian Price - I'm not really on board with it, but god we need some help big time for our terrible defensive line. We have no excuse now not to get to the QB from the DT position. Price, McCoy and Miller should be one hell of a rotation.
2) Arrelious Benn - We needed a receiver and Benn profiles nicely as a guy we can throw the ball to a lot. I prefer Tate, but with Stroughter as our slot guy I guess the team liked Benn's value more.
3) Myron Lewis - Big, physical corner who should help our defense. Will at least be dime back his rookie year and could definitely push Mack for the nickel spot.
4) Mike Williams - A bit of a head case, but in the fourth round I think it's worth the risk. I really hope that Benn and Williams form a solid 1-2 punch. (a guy can dream)
6) Brent Bowden - Sam Paulescu is our punter. Enough said.
7) Cody Grimm - I doubt he makes the roster but if he does should be decent on special teams. Practice squad guy in my opinion.
7) Dakoda Watson - I like Watson. Should be a good back-up in the league and a guy we can use on special teams from week one.
7) Erik Lorig - Has a legitimate chance to make the roster with the crap heap we have at defensive end. Diamond in the rough maybe? Probably not but lets hope so.

Overall I give it a B. We addressed some needs but I would have loved some more help at defensive line and possibly a late round running back.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 05:49 PM    (permalink
SloppyJoe
Rookie

SloppyJoe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SloppyJoe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SloppyJoe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SloppyJoe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SloppyJoe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SloppyJoe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SloppyJoe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SloppyJoe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SloppyJoe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SloppyJoe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SloppyJoe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i can just say that i absolutely love our draft.

Round 1
i absolutely love mccoy. BPA and biggest need

Round 2
i thought we would go DE/WR with the 2a, but the value wasn't there, so we picked BPA and a position of need. love that pick

a great move by dominic that he didn't pick Benn at 2a, like maybe i would do. he was there near our 2b, he made a trade (which I'm absolutely cool with....he was the best WR on there Board (maybe even BPA) and i think that was not close, so they couldn't risk not to get him) and we got our potential #1 WR for years to come.
If Tate would be as high as Benn was on our Board, we wouldn't trade up

Round 3
Maybe not BPA but definitly an area we had to get a young guy.
Myron Lewis can be a really really good CB for us. Perfect match for our system and a position of need

Round 4
Mike Williams-i like the rist in the fourth round. We got 4 high character guys in round 1-3, so i'm fine with this risk here.

Round 6,
we got an instand starter in round 6 at position of need. i like it to have the punter position set for years.

i olny know dekota watson from our 7th rounder. he ist a really nice LB, good depth, Special teams quality. i like it

i give it a B+ maybe A-
SloppyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 06:24 PM    (permalink
KennyG
Rookie

KennyG is a cocksman.KennyG is a cocksman.KennyG is a cocksman.KennyG is a cocksman.KennyG is a cocksman.

yea i would give it a B+ also.. Only gripe I really have is giving up that 5th round pick to move up. There were plenty of potential starters/rotational guys in the 5th round and we coulda got Benn anyways. Also would have been nice to grab a DE but I am sure we will grab some depth with a few UDFAs. Grimm is going to be our SS in a few years most likely and Watson was a steal in the 7th round. Also like the fact we got a 5th round pick back for next years draft.
KennyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 06:26 PM    (permalink
DJC
Veteran

DJC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DJC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DJC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DJC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DJC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DJC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DJC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DJC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DJC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DJC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DJC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Don't have time to go too in depth right now, but I'm going with an A-

Sig by BoneKrusher
DJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 06:29 PM    (permalink
MikeTheDudeV2
Rookie

MikeTheDudeV2 is so money.MikeTheDudeV2 is so money.MikeTheDudeV2 is so money.MikeTheDudeV2 is so money.MikeTheDudeV2 is so money.MikeTheDudeV2 is so money.MikeTheDudeV2 is so money.MikeTheDudeV2 is so money.MikeTheDudeV2 is so money.MikeTheDudeV2 is so money.

I'm going to go with a B for the Bucs draft.
MikeTheDudeV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 06:31 PM    (permalink
Bucs_Rule
Veteran

Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

After the draft it reminded me of how many needs this team had going in. We got a bunch of players who should contribute at areas of big need and still have many other very bad starters at other positions.

McCoy and Been were great pickups. Price and Lewis were good and should contribute. Would have preferred getting Campbell instead of Williams in the 4th. Getting a punter was really important.

You don't realize the importance of having a good punter until you have a very poor one. I like the Lorig pick in the 7th, the other 2 in the 7th were meh picks.

B+ Got a bunch of guys that will make big improvements to the team. No WTF picks like Dexter Jackson from 2 years ago.
Bucs_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:38 PM    (permalink
Legacy
Veteran

Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyG View Post
Only gripe I really have is giving up that 5th round pick to move up. There were plenty of potential starters/rotational guys in the 5th round and we coulda got Benn anyways.
Actually, there were reports that New England, Pittsburgh and three other teams were looking to trade up and select Benn. If that's true, the only way we were going to get him was by trading up.

As for the draft, I give it a A-. McCoy and Price will have our interior line set for the next decade in a rotation with Roy Miller. Benn should be a good receiver and Mike Williams has a ton of potential if he can keep his head on straight (and the Bucs FO must be optimistic about that possibility, since Dominik said after the draft that they decided not to pursue Blount because they didn't like what they heard in his interview). As for Lewis, I'm a fan. I think he'll be a fantastic replacement for Barber and that he's better than the 2 CBs who were taken just before him.

As for Bowden, I knew we'd take a punter, but I would have preferred to wait until the 7th. After watching Dirk Johnson give opposing teams good field position last year I suppose I'm ok with the pick if his leg is as good as advertised.

And, as far as the 7th round guys go, all three should be good depth. Schefter apparently said that we'll be really happy with Lorig. Grimm will push Sabby to improve and will be a special teams beast and Watson will push Black/Hayes in addition to playing special teams.

Overall, I think it's another solid draft from Dominik and Morris. I like where this team is heading.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:59 PM    (permalink
VUBlacknGold
Rookie

VUBlacknGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VUBlacknGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VUBlacknGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VUBlacknGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VUBlacknGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VUBlacknGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VUBlacknGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VUBlacknGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VUBlacknGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VUBlacknGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VUBlacknGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Trust me, you guys will love lewis, hes a great player, perfect fit with you guys. He should be a nickle for you and dont be surprised if you can even get good production from him this year. Its always good to see my fav's go to teams where they fit perfectly in. I wish him the luck and you will love his attitude and play

I Bleed Black and Gold
VUBlacknGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:02 PM    (permalink
superman8456
Veteran

superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm jealous you guys got Cody Grimm. Not the best of athletes, but he is just a damn good football player. He has one of the best football IQs and is quite instinctive.
superman8456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:11 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Solid A

first 5 picks are going to be eventual starters and the rest add quality depth. not much more a person can ask for. DT push will make the DE's jobs easier and provide 10 years of dominance up front. Mike Williams is a tad less talented version of Dez Bryant and I viewed Benn as an Anquan Boldin type. Tampa should be jumping for joy. The team's success depends on Josh Freeman. good enough offensive line, quality depth at RB, skill at WR, one year under his belt, so this is his chance to take another huge step forward. I've hated Raheem Morris' moves, but one more draft like this and Tampa will be rebuilt and geared toward the sustainable dominance.

All this and I personally don't even care about Tampa. I'm a Lion's fan, just it looks like a job well done.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 12:05 AM    (permalink
Me Likey Rookies
Veteran

Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A-

Very happy with our draft this year. I have been in love with Price all year and had him as a mid 1st talent. Watch my video of him on youtube.. dude looks unstoppable.

I liked Benn over Tate and was happy that was how the Bucs had it as well. Lets hope he has a much more productive pro career. Mike Williams could turn out to be a Tanard Jackson-type pick, which would obviously be awesome.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:26 AM    (permalink
bullg8rdaddy
NFLDC ROY 2010
Veteran

bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy View Post
Actually, there were reports that New England, Pittsburgh and three other teams were looking to trade up and select Benn. If that's true, the only way we were going to get him was by trading up.

As for the draft, I give it a A-. McCoy and Price will have our interior line set for the next decade in a rotation with Roy Miller. Benn should be a good receiver and Mike Williams has a ton of potential if he can keep his head on straight (and the Bucs FO must be optimistic about that possibility, since Dominik said after the draft that they decided not to pursue Blount because they didn't like what they heard in his interview). As for Lewis, I'm a fan. I think he'll be a fantastic replacement for Barber and that he's better than the 2 CBs who were taken just before him.

As for Bowden, I knew we'd take a punter, but I would have preferred to wait until the 7th. After watching Dirk Johnson give opposing teams good field position last year I suppose I'm ok with the pick if his leg is as good as advertised.

And, as far as the 7th round guys go, all three should be good depth. Schefter apparently said that we'll be really happy with Lorig. Grimm will push Sabby to improve and will be a special teams beast and Watson will push Black/Hayes in addition to playing special teams.

Overall, I think it's another solid draft from Dominik and Morris. I like where this team is heading.
Agree with everything you wrote.
bullg8rdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:26 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can't believe you guys got McCoy AND Brian Price. With those two picks and Roy Miller your DEs will probably start to look at lot better this year.

Your first 4 picks were excellent. Watson was a great value too. I think you guys had the best overall draft this year, congrats.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 04:46 PM    (permalink
bullg8rdaddy
NFLDC ROY 2010
Veteran

bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

thx for the kind words, bro.

"I don't do Pro Days, we send our scouts to those. I would rather spend my time watching film. The eye in the sky never lies. Functional Strength and athletic ability are the first things we look for in a college prospect." - Mark Dominik, Buccaneers GM
Old 04-27-2010, 11:14 PM    (permalink
Merlin
Veteran

Merlin hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Thumbs up

I’m very pleased with the Bucs draft, our defensive front, and defensive unit as a whole, just got a lot better.

As did our passing game and ST’s.

1) DT, Gerald McCoy – One of the big two DT’s heading into the draft, this pic was a gimme after Bradford went off the board. McCoy is a perfect fit for the T2 and the UT position.

2a) DT, Brian Price – With the Bucs rush defense ranking dead last in 09, GM Mark Dominic looked to immediately upgrade the front four with his second DT of the draft.
Price is a another explosive penetrator, who will probably play the OT in Raheem Morris’s “evolving T2″. Along with last years 3rd rd pic, DT Roy Miller from Tenn, the Bucs will have a solid rotation to battle the Florida heat.

2b) WR, Arrelious Benn – A strong physically built wideout who has the ability to win as a blocker on the outside, Benn can help create run lanes for backs downfield.
He’s a powerful presence with impressive body control as a route runner, he does a nice job disguising his routes when driving corners up the field, and he cleanly Gert’s out of his breaks on a consistent basis.
While he lacks elite speed, he’s a load to bring down, and is very productive in terms of YAC.

3) CB, Myron Lewis – A tall, long-armed corner who can disrupt routes on all levels of the field, Lewis showcases the ability to get into the frame of receivers and press off the line. He possesses good instincts in man coverage and does a great job getting his hands on the ball. He displays impressive coordination and has the ability to quickly adjust his body to the play and break up the pass.
Not afraid to stick his head in when needed, he should be Ronde’s heir apparent opposite Aquib Talib, though this year will see him play nickel.

4) WR, Mike Williams – An extremely gifted athlete, Williams exhibits impressive explosion in all facets of his game. Is a really impressive leaper, displaying the ability to time up the pass and snag the football at its highest point. He plucks the ball with his hands and showcases good concentration when asked to take a hit over the middle of the field. Possesses an impressive initial burst off the line. He has the ability to get on top of corners quickly and make plays down the field. Showcases an impressive second gear when asked to track the football. Does a nice job fighting through defensive backs and adjusting to the play. Has the ability to consistently get down the field. His combination of speed and jumping ability makes him a legitimate vertical threat. Without a doubt, he has the makings of a No. 1 wideout in the NFL and could end up developing into one of the best in the league.
However, the reason he was till available in the 4th is well documented, though in listening to GM, Mark Dominic, the Bucs have done their homework, and don’t foresee any problems…time will tell, but this could be the steal of the entire draft?

5) – used to move up.

6) P, Brent Bowden – Maybe not the “sexy pic” fans wanted or expected, but VT’s punter has a very big, very accurate right leg, something the Bucs didn’t have last year, Brent has the potential to be with the Bucs for the next 10 years.

7a) LB Cody Grimm – Yep…it’s his son, Grimm probably translates to a SS with the Bucs, an instinctive athlete who diagnoses plays quickly in all areas of the game, Grimm has a nose for the ball. He isn’t fluid when asked to change direction in space and lacks great closing speed in pursuit. But he displays good short-area quickness and does a nice job sidestepping blockers and making his way toward the ball. He uses his hands well to keep himself clean and is a secure wrap-up tackler. He has a thin upper body and lacks the frame to be effective inside the box. ST project.

7b) LB, Dekoda Watson – Watson is a gifted athlete who can run sideline to sideline and make plays in pursuit, but he gets knocked off balance too easily and isn’t the most physical of tacklers. He gets caught up at the line of scrimmage and sealed on plays away from his frame. Watson is an above-average athlete in coverage, looks comfortable in his drop and has the fluidity to cleanly get out of his breaks and close in coverage. He’s more of a Cover 2-only guy who’s at his best in run-and-hit situations. He needs to get stronger. ST project.

7c) DE, Erik Lorig – Adam Schefter tweet: Mark my words: “Tampa Bay will be happy with its 7th round pick, Stanford DE Erik Lorig”. – ST project?

Grade – B+

I’m not sure where I read it, but their was a post/link, regarding the changes that Dom had made within our Draft strategy/staff etc.

Apparently Bruce Allen hardly watched any tape, and if he did, it was without any of the scouting dept, and/or the coaching staff…..

IMO, this would explain a hell of a lot!!!

Rather then pay millions on staff, workouts, traveling to scout players etc etc, we should have just let Allen loose on Youtube. Though I’m thinking this is what he did anyway...

Bringing things up to the present day, according to reports things have changed dramatically, even our HC is now involved in the draft proccess…

IMO, the last two drafts have been some of the best in recent years, (for the Bucs) and I’m including the use of our pics for Winslow etc.

Looking at things in terms of, “this time each year,” I’m super stoked by our draft, and the potential it offers the whole franchise. In that regard, this is the best draft I can remember in recent history.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:25 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Roy Miller is from Texas!

Old 04-28-2010, 06:36 AM    (permalink
Merlin
Veteran

Merlin hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
Roy Miller is from Texas!
Doh....!!!
Old 04-28-2010, 08:03 PM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Overall, I give us a B+

1) DT McCoy-will hopefully live up to the hype and press and be as disruptive as we are led to believe he will be... because of pick #2, his shot of success went WAY WAY UP. A-

2s) DT B. Price-I had a mancrush on Price for a while but when he turned up at the combine with a thinner lower body and a little slower than I expected, I focused my attention more towards Lamarr Houston. But still, this kid just turned 21 in the past couple of weeks and is probably the youngest DT in the game... he'll also have some serious upside, too. Unknowledgeable Buc fans wonder why we took a 3-tech to come play NT for us... Duh, the Bucs don't play NT the typical way, they play their NT in 1-tech over the OC almost the exact same way the 3-tech lines up over the OG. McFarland was brought into eventually replace Sapp but in the meantime to play NT, it worked OK for us even though Booger never did become a premier 3-tech. Still, with Price AND McCoy manning the middle, with Miller backing them up, this DT rotation should be disruptive and set for years. A

2b) The thing I didn't like about this pick was that in my own mocks, I had Benn going to the Bucs at 2a and I had Price AND Houston still being on the board at 2b. As it turns out, the next DT taken after Price were the Raiders drafting from our spot at our original 2b. I'm pretty sure Price would have been there at 2b had we drafted Benn at 2a AND we would have kept our 5th round pick. Anyway, Benn should be at the very least, a very good #2 WR in the NFL. He's fast enough, strong, athletic, and big. Everything Hands of Clayton was supposed to be. B (because we gave up a 5th in addition)

3) I really wanted Chris Cook of UVa to be here in round 3, but as quickly as the CBs came off the board I just knew he would be gone in the early 2nd... what we got was a guy I might like even more than Cook. Lewis is about the same size, just as athletic, and has the same thing going for him that I liked about Cook. Cook went to UVa and UVa has a great rep for putting super smart players into the NFL... and so does Vandy... the big difference here is that Cook wasn't all that smart (or dedicated) and was booted for academics two seasons ago, Lewis is actually pretty smart and should turn out even better than Cook, awesome pick. And we all know, great CBs in the T-2 can be found in round 3 (Abraham, Barber, D. Smith) and Lewis should extend that list. A+

4) WR Mike Williams-I had told most that would listen that with his rap sheet he wouldn't go in round 2 like they had suggested, and that he would go in round 5 or 6 if he were lucky. I theorize that we picked him in round 4, he still would have been there in round 5, if we hadn't traded away our 5th. Still, problems or no problems, this is great value. In the 4th round, we are usually looking at a player with some serious questions: speed, strength, intelligence, something... this guy has everything except a history of good character. The Bucs say they investigated Williams more than any other player in the draft... and they are more than confident in his character and that is enough for me, I never met the guy but I know he can play. A

6) I have a feeling that Zoltan Mesko was their preferred punter, I had us picking him in round 7, so when Mesko went off the board they felt compelled to take their #2 guy ASAP. If Bowden is their guy, and he comes from a great ST school, I'm fine with that... just not in the 6th. B-

7) S Cody Grimm-great special teamer, good playmaker with limited athletic ability. He's athletic enough to perhaps start at SS in the NFL someday, he will make the team and be a leader on ST. Good pick up in round 7, a guy that WILL make the team and help the team. A

7) LB Dekoda Watson-I honestly had him rated as a 4th rounder. With his speed and athleticism I figured he would be taken by the Titan, Raiders, or Lions... but they didn't bite and what we get is a protype T-2 LB that will be a terror on ST. He lost 14 lbs down to 226 at his Pro Day and ran mid 4.4s... The Bucs will tell him to keep the weight off and seek to train him at all 3 LB positions while he shows off his speed on ST. Great pick. A+

7) I watched a ton of Stanford games this past season to watch QB Andrew Luck play.. Gerhart too, but mostly Luck. Lorig showed a good motor for Stanford as a two-gap DE but he really didn't stand out much as did few of the Cardinal defenders (I do like their LCB). He has good size and because he was hurt he didn't really work out, so I ignored him in the offseason, which only made sense that we would draft one of the few guys I did the least research on. Anyways, with DE Lindsey Witten, DE Brandon Sharpe, and DE Jeffrey Fitzgerald all still on the board, I was a bit disappointed with Lorig. C-

UDFAs QB Jevan Snead will beat out Rudy Carpenter and hopefully rebuild his stock. Perhaps in a few seasons we can pull a Whitehurst and get something for him. K Hunter Lawrence has a decent shot of unseating Connor Barth. Other than them, OT Derek Hardman and TE Jeron Mastrud are really the only guys I see with any chance of making the roster.
brasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:36 AM    (permalink
bullg8rdaddy
NFLDC ROY 2010
Veteran

So it's super late and I was looking over the draft.....again! Just for the hell of it, I thought I would second guess our late round selections. I am pretty happy how it eventually turned out, but seeing as we didn't select a hyped DE or OL, I thought I would look back and see what you guys thought on some of the kids we could've gotten. (Bowden and Grimm still leave me scratching my head for some reason)

So here goes nothing....

In the 4th round we could have (instead of drafting Mike Williams):

selected DE Everson Griffen if we traded up one spot. (not sure how realistic that could've been)

selected OT Bruce Campbell

selected DE Corey Wootton (I know he hade some questions about injuries)

In the 5th round we could have had (had we not traded our 5th round pick):

selected DE Ricky Sapp

In the 6th round we could have (instead of drafting a punter):

selected DE Greg Hardy (again, I know he has questions about his injuries)

selected OT Sam Young

In the 7th and final round we could have:

selected Dekoda Watson with our first pick

then:

selected DE George Selvie with our second pick

then:

selected DB Donovan Warren with our last pick

or

OL Brandon Carter

In my opinion, our best case scenario would have been to stick with Mike Williams in the 4th, select Hardy in the 6th, then finish the 7th round with Watson, Selvie and Carter. Pretty sure we could live with out Bowden, Grimm, and Lorig with what was still there.

Thoughts?

"I don't do Pro Days, we send our scouts to those. I would rather spend my time watching film. The eye in the sky never lies. Functional Strength and athletic ability are the first things we look for in a college prospect." - Mark Dominik, Buccaneers GM

Last edited by bullg8rdaddy : 05-09-2010 at 02:47 AM.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:57 AM    (permalink
SloppyJoe
Rookie

SloppyJoe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SloppyJoe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SloppyJoe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SloppyJoe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SloppyJoe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SloppyJoe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SloppyJoe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SloppyJoe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SloppyJoe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SloppyJoe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SloppyJoe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullg8rdaddy View Post

In the 6th round we could have (instead of drafting a punter):

selected DE Greg Hardy (again, I know he has questions about his injuries)

selected OT Sam Young

we had to get a punter. he was the only draftable Punter available (comment from Marc Dominick).
field position ist so important.

if we did not draft a Punter, our punter situation would be like last years. bouncing between some medicore punters
SloppyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:39 AM    (permalink
bullg8rdaddy
NFLDC ROY 2010
Veteran

Understood.

Old 05-09-2010, 01:02 PM    (permalink
DJC
Veteran

DJC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DJC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DJC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DJC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DJC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DJC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DJC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DJC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DJC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DJC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DJC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm pretty happy with our late round picks.

The more I think about it, the more I like the Grimm pick. I think he'll have his shot at the starting job sometime in the next two years. His football insticts are some of the best in the class and he's good tackler. He's basically the anti-Sabby.

If Bowden can be our starter for the next decade than that's a great pick. I've read some reports on him and he seems like he's pretty good at downing the ball inside the 20.

Watson I've been a fan of for a minute. I had a feeling with Geno when we drafted him that he'd be a very good starter one day, and I get the same type of feeling with Watson. Even if he just sticks around for 6-8 years as a backup WILL/SAM it's a great pick for a 7th rounder.

Not sure about Lorig, don't know much about him. He supposedly has an amazing motor though so I won't count him out. He's a former TE so there has to be some decent athletism there.

I think George Johnson sticks around as an UDFA and sees some time as a situational pass rusher. It'll be interesting to see if Preston can stick on as a slot receiver. One of Sergio Render, Derek Hardman, Lee Grimes, or James Williams will make the team. Dennis Rogan will probably stick on the PS and be Raheems new Elbert Mack.

Sig by BoneKrusher
DJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 03:50 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

To be fair does it really matter what position the player plays when you make a 6th round or later pick? If you can get a player there who can contribute in some way then you have done the right thing.