Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 05-29-2010, 10:39 PM    (permalink
superman8456
Veteran

superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefalconer View Post
i'm looking to get in shape over the summer and had some questions regarding protein supplements and working out in general. i'm not looking to get huge but instead just tone my upper body and work on the gut that i've had forever.

- when should i take whey protein shakes?
i researched a little and saw it's most important to take after a workout and ideally within an hour after the workout. and some places said it's also good to take right after waking up and before working out. just wanted to confirm what i read.

- is there a bad time of day to work out?
i have work and a pretty jammed schedule throughout the day and was planning on working out around midnight about 4 times a week. is that too late?

- any advice on a workout regiment?
i'm planning on doing cardio consisting of running a mile on the treadmill and the stationary bike for about 15 min. and then afterwards using the weight machines. i really don't know much though so advice regarding number of reps and sets would be great. and i've heard a lot about the HIIT method from some co-workers and i'm wondering if that's something i can do on the treadmill.

+rep guys. thanks.
From what I know, you drink protein shakes two times a day (one in the morning and one post-workout) for bulking up purposes. Once a day should be fine if you're just looking to get stronger. Keep in mind, a normal person consumes more protein than your body usually needs.

The only bad time of the day to workout is when it is crowded really.
superman8456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:49 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

and that is 4-7:30 at my gym.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:55 PM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman8456 View Post
From what I know, you drink protein shakes two times a day (one in the morning and one post-workout) for bulking up purposes. Once a day should be fine if you're just looking to get stronger. Keep in mind, a normal person consumes more protein than your body usually needs.

The only bad time of the day to workout is when it is crowded really.
appreciate it. so it's all good to workout, take a protein shake and go to bed?
thefalconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 06:04 PM    (permalink
bernbabybern820
Pro Bowler

bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefalconer View Post
appreciate it. so it's all good to workout, take a protein shake and go to bed?
The timing of your protein consumption has no effect on your body composition.
They said I couldn't be a high school QB. They said I couldn't get a D1 scholarship. BeerBaron said I couldn't beat the Bears. - Tebow

Proving the doubters wrong.
bernbabybern820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 06:26 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I cannot stress enough how amazing HIIT is for anyone looking to lose weight/have more tone.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:52 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You should take some whey right after working out regardless of goals. You need something for recovery purposes.

Also, I have been doing the deck of cards cardio work out, its pretty damn good. I cant really lift heavy due to my knee, but deck of cards + complexes are a nice sub.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:02 PM    (permalink
Go_Eagles77
All-Pro

Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
I cannot stress enough how amazing HIIT is for anyone looking to lose weight/have more tone.
Any particular HIIT routine that works best? Definitely thinking about giving it a shot.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:10 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_Eagles77 View Post
Any particular HIIT routine that works best? Definitely thinking about giving it a shot.
Whatever you will actually do. I think complexes are great, 400m sprints with rest inbetween work well, timed sprints with jogging inbetween, whatever as long as your consistent.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:25 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

yo Rob how is the knee doing? When can you get back to lifting?
Old 05-30-2010, 08:28 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_Eagles77 View Post

I just throw on sweatshirt, sweatpants, and a ski cap, then do 12 sets of

30 second sprinting, 30 second light jog.

Then I'll do complexes after about 4-5 minutes of stretching. And after that I get a lot of sweat and I'm pretty beat. If I'm feeling ambitious, I can do this twice in one day maybe cutting out the complexes the second time around.

I've been doing that 3 days a week along with regular lifting 4 times a week (so doing some kind of working out 7 days a week), a slight cut back in the portions I've been eating, and I'm down about 18 pounds in about 4 months. (I didn't need too lose a lot a weight either, was just setting out to get in a bit better shape)

Still drink and eat awesome foods too.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:29 PM    (permalink
bernbabybern820
Pro Bowler

bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernbabybern820 View Post
For some reason all of a sudden my strength has been really increasing lately. Ive been benching 225 2-3 times on my 5th set. My goal for the summer is benching 250 at 150 pounds.
Just to update i now bench 225 5 times for my last set.
They said I couldn't be a high school QB. They said I couldn't get a D1 scholarship. BeerBaron said I couldn't beat the Bears. - Tebow

Proving the doubters wrong.
bernbabybern820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:34 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991 View Post
yo Rob how is the knee doing? When can you get back to lifting?
I wound up spraining my ACL. It's feeling better now, but I am hesitant to squat or deadlift heavily. I should be able to give some light lifting workouts a go next week (nothing more than like 185) and if that feels perfectly fine, I think I will give a semi-heavy 5x5 a try the following week. I can run and play soccer now without pain, so I like my chances. I have just been taking my time because its not like I need get back to training for any specific reason right now and its not worth re injuring or totally tearing it.

Last edited by Rob S : 05-30-2010 at 09:42 PM.
Rob S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:44 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

yeah good idea,

do you do the wendler 5x5 that is always talked about on sherdog?
Old 05-30-2010, 09:54 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
yeah good idea,

do you do the wendler 5x5 that is always talked about on sherdog?
5-3-1 you mean? I am gonna start that next fall. I am doing my own think right now (a 10-8-5-3-1). Just doing the 5x5 to test because I know exactly where I should be at with that routine.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:58 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

yeah thats what I meant, the posters on sherdog seem to really love it, but it seems like there isnt a lot of volume.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:03 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
I wound up spraining my ACL. It's feeling better now, but I am hesitant to squat or deadlift heavily. I should be able to give some light lifting workouts a go next week (nothing more than like 185) and if that feels perfectly fine, I think I will give a semi-heavy 5x5 a try the following week. I can run and play soccer now without pain, so I like my chances. I have just been taking my time because its not like I need get back to training for any specific reason right now and its not worth re injuring or totally tearing it.
I feel ya man, I am just getting back to walking without my brace/crutches after a grade 2 MCL sprain and 2 bone bruises in my left knee which happened on April 26th.

The orthopedic specialist said she had never seen 2 bone bruises this bad before. It was the worst pain I have ever had when I woke up the next morning, I was sitting on my ass going down stairs, it was just a nightmare. PT twice a week since the 2nd week of May. I coach a baseball team, so it's been tough to do things that I want to show and can't just say.

However, now I'm at about 80% in my range of motion and there's almost no pain besides soreness and stiffness when I wake up. Knee injuries are definitely a grind.

I'm just glad I didn't tear my meniscus, as that's what they feared since I couldn't straighten my knee, but the MRI ruled that out.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:07 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

I have knee tendonitis and its a pain in the ass, I couldnt imagine what you guys go through
Old 05-30-2010, 10:10 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
yeah thats what I meant, the posters on sherdog seem to really love it, but it seems like there isnt a lot of volume.
It concerns me a little bit, but I don't like volume that much on my big lifts. I think I am gonna go 5-3-1 for my main lift each day then get some volume in on my assistance exercises (probably a 3x10 or 4x8)
Old 05-30-2010, 10:17 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

yea that works, I usually strive to get 24-32 sets in when i lift. That is how i was taught in HS, but i am looking to switch to a real program. I am going to do WS4SB
Old 05-30-2010, 10:29 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
yea that works, I usually strive to get 24-32 sets in when i lift. That is how i was taught in HS, but i am looking to switch to a real program. I am going to do WS4SB
Good program, very good program. I just dont like that you have to choose between squats and deads.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:05 PM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
12 sets of 30 second sprinting, 30 second light jog.
imma try this.
thefalconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 02:23 AM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
- is there a bad time of day to work out?
i have work and a pretty jammed schedule throughout the day and was planning on working out around midnight about 4 times a week. is that too late?
It's less than ideal. Basically you will lose a lot of the gains of working out from a weight loss point of view as instead of the boost in your metabolism your body will do its best to counter it while you sleep.

Also, when you sleep the body eats away at the muscles, so you want to get some Casein protein in to you before going to bed if you are working out just before sleeping. Whey is a quick release, Casein a slow release which helps stop the bodies catabolic processes whilst sleeping, which is just the break down of the muscle. To add size you want to keep it anabolic as much as possible.

Sleep experts also believe that working out before sleeping is bad for sleep patterns due to the hormones that are released by working out but I don't know a lot about it so other than perhaps pointing you to do some research on it and find out whether it is a major issue for you and what you are doing.

I'm also posting this assuming that you live by a normal schedule in that midnight is before bed for you, and not after waking up for instance as obviously the midnight thing is only relevant to your own body clock.

Props to BK on the sig!
wogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 05:16 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

5 days in to p90x. i havent lifted or done anything gym wise since h.s. once im up to 25 days ill be happier
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:12 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored of education View Post
5 days in to p90x. i havent lifted or done anything gym wise since h.s. once im up to 25 days ill be happier
Once my knee heals, I was thinking of starting it. I'm slightly overweight, but not obese by any means. (5'10 195) .. doable? I am down for working my ass off, but not if it's just impossible. I've heard good things, but I'm not sure yet.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:50 PM    (permalink
superman8456
Veteran

superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp View Post
Once my knee heals, I was thinking of starting it. I'm slightly overweight, but not obese by any means. (5'10 195) .. doable? I am down for working my ass off, but not if it's just impossible. I've heard good things, but I'm not sure yet.
It's pretty damn hard and a lot of it is just self motivation. If you're a good self motivator, you'll reap the benefits, but if not its easy to take sets off or not go all out.
superman8456 is offline   Reply With Quote