Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Green Bay Packers Team Forum

Green Bay Packers Team Forum Discuss the Cheeseheads

Old 11-08-2009, 03:47 PM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default My Final Rant

4-4 following a loss to the 0-7 Bucs - of whom are starting a rookie QB and have a rookie head coach - I've lost all enthusiasm for the rest of the season. I thought this could have been the year where the Packers finally turn the corner and become a consistant 10 win team but that just hasn't been the case.

The preason has been such a tease this year. Our offensive line was gelling, the defense looks suprisingly dominant, and Greg Jennings was coming off a huge season and looked poised to become one of the leagues top WRs.

What a complete opposite meltdown. Our offensive line has been in shambles, the defense has played descent but still not generating the pressure, and Jennings has been a ghost so far.

I put the full blame on Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy. Both guys need to go and I'm just saying that because of the pitiful loss today. When you look at how this team has been built and how they've played its come down to these two guys.

Ted Thompson - Building through the draft has been good and added some depth to the team but he just hasn't hit on enough players and missed badly on guys like A.J. Hawk and Justin Harrell. I bring up the Vikings to make my point. They flopped on guys like Troy Williamson and Erasmus James but they've hit on others like Chad Greenway, Adrian Peterson, and Percy Harvin. They've also been big in free agency and trades bringing in Steve Hutchinson, Bernard Berrian, Ben Leber, Visanthe Shiancoe, Pat Williams, Jared Allen, and Madieu Williams to name a few. Who has Thompson brought in? Most noteable Charles Woodson, Ryan Pickett, and Brandon Chillar.

Mike McCarthy - He started off nicely and seemed to coral the players better than he has the past 2 season. He had Favre and then Rodgers playing smarter and not creating mistakes.

Mostly I'm just baffeled by his decisions. Our bread and butter, the slant pass, has disapeared from the playbook and everything is a deep pass looking for the big play. The shotgun is used way too much and I know that its because of the line play but the ball needs to get out quicker and that calls for short to intermediate plays being called.

He seems to blow off the penalties like its no big deal but its a sign of an undisciplined team. I remember when Holmgren was here and the look on his face when a guy threw an INT or committed a penalty. There's no fire there from McCarthy.

So basically its like this, the Packers can't succeed like this and things need to change. I'm sure alot of you will be quick to defense Thompson and McCarthy but its been 5 years with Thompson and 4 years with McCarthy and what do we have to show for it? We've gotten away from everything that has made us successful over the course of that tenure with those slants and Jim Bates defense. The hot seat should be getting hotter and I hope the fans apply the pressure because if McCarthy doesn't start gameplanning better and Thompson doesn't start adding in players that can help then this team is headed nowhere.

I'm just going to let the rest of the season playout though as I stated before my enthusiasm this gone. I'm still a diehard Packers fan and thats why I think that changes need to be made. This season is over though. The schedule only gets tougher and this team just isn't nearly as competitive as I originally thought.
cvv84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 04:13 PM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've been a big Thompson fan for years but I'm starting to reverse my stance on him. The areas where he's spent a number of picks on are embarrassingly weak - the offensive line and defensive front 7. For example look at the defense. He inherited pro bowlers Nick Barnett and Aaron Kampman, and signing Pickett was a good move. But 4 first round picks and many others later in the draft and we can't get pressure on the QB to save our lives (or more literally, the life of the season...).

Then there's the offensive line where he has flat out failed to replace players. When Wahle and Rivera left our guard play went in the toilet, and now that Clifton and Tauscher are starting to deteriorate our entire offensive line is in the toilet.

Thanks to BK for the sig
umphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:05 PM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by umphrey View Post
I've been a big Thompson fan for years but I'm starting to reverse my stance on him. The areas where he's spent a number of picks on are embarrassingly weak - the offensive line and defensive front 7. For example look at the defense. He inherited pro bowlers Nick Barnett and Aaron Kampman, and signing Pickett was a good move. But 4 first round picks and many others later in the draft and we can't get pressure on the QB to save our lives (or more literally, the life of the season...).

Then there's the offensive line where he has flat out failed to replace players. When Wahle and Rivera left our guard play went in the toilet, and now that Clifton and Tauscher are starting to deteriorate our entire offensive line is in the toilet.
I've been a supporter of him too but clearly his strategy isn't working. We've gained some good players but we need more 3 down players. There's too much subbing and package players going in and out that throws a wrench into things.

Even today they planned on rotating their tackles. I mean WTF? Who rotates their offensive tackles in the NFL? Let alone in pop warner...

I agreed with letting Rivera go but we could have had at least 1 more season with Wahle and even Sharper. Instead we went with youth and tried to let these guys develop on the fly and it hasn't panned out.

I don't know. It just sucks having alot of talented players and not being able to do anything with them.
cvv84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 08:47 PM    (permalink
Whistler6
Pro Bowler

Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Atleast the Vikings didn't win this week either...
Whistler6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:35 AM    (permalink
drowe
Mr. Underrated
All-Pro

drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistler6 View Post
Atleast the Vikings didn't win this week either...
yes. and, at least we're not the bears. wow, do they ever suck!
drowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:48 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvv84 View Post
4-4 following a loss to the 0-7 Bucs - of whom are starting a rookie QB and have a rookie head coach - I've lost all enthusiasm for the rest of the season.

I put the full blame on Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy. Both guys need to go and I'm just saying that because of the pitiful loss today. When you look at how this team has been built and how they've played its come down to these two guys.

Ted Thompson - Building through the draft has been good and added some depth to the team but he just hasn't hit on enough players and missed badly on guys like A.J. Hawk and Justin Harrell.

I bring up the Vikings to make my point. They flopped on guys like Troy Williamson and Erasmus James but they've hit on others like Chad Greenway, Adrian Peterson, and Percy Harvin. They've also been big in free agency and trades bringing in Steve Hutchinson, Bernard Berrian, Ben Leber, Visanthe Shiancoe, Pat Williams, Jared Allen, and Madieu Williams to name a few (Brett Farve & Antoine Winfield also).
Who has Thompson brought in? Most noteable Charles Woodson, Ryan Pickett, and Brandon Chillar.

So basically its like this, the Packers can't succeed like this and things need to change. I'm sure alot of you will be quick to defend Thompson and McCarthy but its been 5 years with Thompson and 4 years with McCarthy and what do we have to show for it? (still 1 playoff win, officially)

I'm just going to let the rest of the season playout though as I stated before my enthusiasm this gone. I'm still a diehard Packers fan and thats why I think that changes need to be made. This season is over though. The schedule only gets tougher and this team just isn't nearly as competitive as I originally thought.
Wow, where was I last November? Classic stuff here to catch up on.

And this is the #*#* that tries to call me out for things like wanting to improve our special teams, pass rush, or pass coverage? LOL
Old 05-30-2010, 10:19 PM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
Wow, where was I last November? Classic stuff here to catch up on.

And this is the #*#* that tries to call me out for things like wanting to improve our special teams, pass rush, or pass coverage? LOL
The only thing I called you out on was making unrealistic signing and/or trade proposals. Aside from that, we made the changes that I eluded too in my rant and I am greatful to be proven wrong. I make 1 response to our return game and you have to go digging for info? Get a women bro lol.