Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 06-11-2010, 12:17 PM    (permalink
Go Cowboys
Pro Bowler

Location: Springfield, OH: Most Depressing City in the Country. Look it up
Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane P. Hallam View Post
Depends on the school and the conference contracts. For the Big 12 teams, I believe that is the case.

And yes, they will switch in all sports. Only possible exception would be Notre Dame if they go to a conference.

This will likely go on for awhile, so I have stickied the thread.
Thanks, wonder how long Boise State will have to wait.

I heard that the basketball changes will take place in 2011 for the confrences. So I was just wondering if that was true or not.

Thanks for the sticky.

Thanks to bonekrusher for the sig
Go Cowboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:21 PM    (permalink
Go Cowboys
Pro Bowler

Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Carls 5 Year Plan View Post
This is a sad sad day in Kansas City. The fall of the Big 12, not only hurts the local rivalries, but it puts a serious damper on local college sporting event in this city. No more Big 12 Title game at Arrowhead. No more Big 12 Basketball Tournament at Sprint Arena. No more MU vs KU Armagedon Game at Arrowhead.

As a MU guy, I really hope that the Big 10 gives us an invitation to join. Looks like the entire Big 12 South, minus Baylor, will be invited to the Pac 10. That leaves KU, K-State, Iowa St and MU out in the cold. KU is strong enough in basketball that they should get into another BCS Conference, but KSU and ISU will be lucky if the Missouri Valley offers them a spot. Neither team has much to offer in $$$, recruiting base or large market followings.

The Big 12 should have been much more proactive in the past few years and tried to get a better tv deal, start their own network or find a way to create more $$$. It looks as though they sat on their hands for to long and all the bigger conferences are now taking advantage of the opportunity.

I'm old enough to remember somethings about the Big 8, but most of my college sports memories are from Big 12 schools, games and events that I attended. It's going to be a rough transition for me to watch MU in the Big 10. At least the next games I go to will envolve Ohio St, Penn St or Michigan.

The Bigger questions with this new Super Conferencses and their alignment together will be the future of the NCAA and will their be a new college orginization formed? If the SEC, Big 10 and the Pac 10 all aglig together and form a new college orginization, than the NCAA will go bye bye and athletes may start to receive some payment.
I am still holding out hope that They grab UTEP and maybe Houston make it the Big South Confrence or something.
I was thinking TCU maybe if it wasn't for Boise State joining the MWC.

Brings up the question of if MWC will turn into a BCS Confrence now? If the Big 12 Falls will they get the automatic Bid?

Old 06-11-2010, 12:22 PM    (permalink
Go Cowboys
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewfeature06 View Post
Boise will join in July 2011.. ESPN Bottomline..
Thanks, was wondering on that one.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:33 PM    (permalink
Go Cowboys
Pro Bowler

According to Joe Schad Kansas and Kansas State are looking like candidates to join the MWC which should lock up an Auto BCS big by 2012.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:48 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Cowboys View Post
According to Joe Schad Kansas and Kansas State are looking like candidates to join the MWC which should lock up an Auto BCS big by 2012.
That's what I was assuming as well. It makes sense for KU and KSU to join the MWC and legitimize that conference. Only other option would be to join with Baylor, Iowa State, Houston, UTEP, SMU, Rice, and Tulsa and form a conference together.

Kansas
Kansas State
Baylor
Iowa State
Houston
UTEP
SMU
Rice
Tulsa

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude

Last edited by diabsoule : 06-11-2010 at 01:00 PM.
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:51 PM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I still think Kansas could go somewhere better due to basketball.

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:52 PM    (permalink
Go Cowboys
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
That's what I was assuming as well. It makes sense for KU and KSU to join the MWC and legitimize that conference. Only other option would be to join with Baylor, Iowa State, Houston, UTEP, SMU, Rice, and Tulsa and form a conference together.

Kansas
Kansas State
Baylor
Iowa State
Houston
UTEP
SMU
Rice
The Big South?

Haha in all reality Nebraska should declare in the next few hours that they are moving the the Big 10 making it the new big 12?
The Pac 10 is now the Pac 11?
I wouldn't doubt at least 1 more team being added to the Pac so they can play a championship game.... With Boise going over to the MWC does that mean TCU, Utah or BYU become options if the Big 12 (Now Big 11) hold together without Nebraska?

So many questions....

Old 06-11-2010, 12:53 PM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Cowboys View Post
The Big South?

Haha in all reality Nebraska should declare in the next few hours that they are moving the the Big 10 making it the new big 12?
The Pac 10 is now the Pac 11?
I wouldn't doubt at least 1 more team being added to the Pac so they can play a championship game.... With Boise going over to the MWC does that mean TCU, Utah or BYU become options if the Big 12 (Now Big 11) hold together without Nebraska?

So many questions....
I wouldn't doubt a whole bunch more teams to go to the Pac-10 and Big Ten.

Follow Me on Twitter!
Old 06-11-2010, 01:05 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, the Big Ten needs to officially invite Nebraska. Whenever they do, Nebraska will join. Since Texas and Texas A&M are arguing over which conference to join I don't see that happening anytime soon. I think the Big XII is all but a memory. I do not see that conference taking steps to stay together.

On the flip side, I don't see four 16 team conferences surviving for very long. The WAC was not able to survive at 16 teams due to travel issues, spreading money around, etc... Given that that is the only example that we have when a conference expands to that many teams but the bottom line is that schools want money. I feel it is best to stay between 10-12 schools for a conference due to revenue share, level of competition, question about competition, etc...

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 01:13 PM    (permalink
jballa838
Team Leader
All-Pro

jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

anyone else think this turns into a pissing contest and the Big East and Big XII both are eaten up? The Big East is formidable for basketball but would be eaten by the ACC and Big Televen pretty quickly, with the MWC picking up the kansas schools and the Big XII south bouncing to the Pac 10. Baylor goes to the C-USA or maybe the Mountain West gets crazy and adds them, SMU, Houston and UTEP to fill it up to 16. SEC goes after some C-USA and picks up Memphis along with USF, Louisville and from the Big East. Maybe they go for a couple ACC Schools like FSU and Miami and then couple those with Louisville and USF, with the ACC getting Memphis and a wildcard to replace those schools. The Big Telven should get Mizzou (or they go SEC), Notre Dame, Cincinatti, and Pitt to make it a 16 team conference leaving Rutgers, Syracuse, UCONN and West Virginia making them a power conference of 16. then the smaller conferences eat up the other schools and we're set. The ACC becomes the best basketball conference in america hands down, and then there are 4.5 megapowers in football.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlyabroncosfan View Post
JBalla is mormon, so naturally he assumes that whenever you get one marriage done, another two or five are in the works.

jballa838 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 01:15 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Big XII is dead... once Nebraska left, it became a free for all.

the TV contract was going to kill that conference... it was only a matter of time.

Nebraska is going to get about a $13 million raise just on TV revenue. Missouri would be in the same boat.

With Boise State joining the Mountain West, their profit potential just made a jump, so teams leaving that conference seem unlikely at present.

Everyone in the Big XII is trying to make the best team for themselves right now. The only team that is hanging onto the hope that was the Big XII is probably Kansas
wonderbredd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 01:24 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
All-NFLDC

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yea, no big deal, but the original post should be reworded. Nebraska hasn't been offered by the Big XI. Nebraska has said (have they said it yet officially?) that they would join if the Big XI invited. That's how the crazy Big XI rules work. They don't offer until teams say they would accept if offered.

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 01:25 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Kansas should join the Big East. Not a fit geographically, but otherwise it seems like a great fit. A top basketball school with just a decent football program. Might have to kick someone out to keep it at 16, but trading South Florida for Kansas would be worth it.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:27 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB12 View Post
Kansas should join the Big East. Not a fit geographically, but otherwise it seems like a great fit. A top basketball school with just a decent football program. Might have to kick someone out to keep it at 16, but trading South Florida for Kansas would be worth it.
The Big East doesn't want basketball schools... they have them in spades. They want football programs. If the football program comes with a nice basketball program, so be it, but the Big East wants football teams
Old 06-11-2010, 01:30 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderbredd24 View Post
The Big East doesn't want basketball schools... they have them in spades. They want football programs. If the football program comes with a nice basketball program, so be it, but the Big East wants football teams
The Big East can't get any good football schools, and certainly not enough to where they'd compete with the SEC, Big 10, and Super Pac 10. They should just accept that they're a basketball conference.

And yes I know that the money is in football, but there probably isn't any realistic football option that could bring them more money than Kansas basketball.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:32 PM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Quote:
Well, the Big Ten needs to officially invite Nebraska. Whenever they do, Nebraska will join. Since Texas and Texas A&M are arguing over which conference to join I don't see that happening anytime soon. I think the Big XII is all but a memory. I do not see that conference taking steps to stay together.

On the flip side, I don't see four 16 team conferences surviving for very long. The WAC was not able to survive at 16 teams due to travel issues, spreading money around, etc... Given that that is the only example that we have when a conference expands to that many teams but the bottom line is that schools want money. I feel it is best to stay between 10-12 schools for a conference due to revenue share, level of competition, question about competition, etc...
Big Ten has already invited Nebraska. Nebraska formally accepted the invitation about a half hour ago.

Follow Me on Twitter!
Old 06-11-2010, 01:35 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB12 View Post
The Big East can't get any good football schools, and certainly not enough to where they'd compete with the SEC, Big 10, and Super Pac 10. They should just accept that they're a basketball conference.

And yes I know that the money is in football, but there probably isn't any realistic football option that could bring them more money than Kansas basketball.
That's not necessarily true, but in order for that to happen, it requires the SEC to dismantle the ACC by taking Florida State and Miami. Then whether it's the Big East eating the ACC, the ACC eating the Big East, or some sort of mutual merger, they can consolidate a pretty nice football conference
Old 06-11-2010, 01:40 PM    (permalink
onejayhawk
Veteran

onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubulubu View Post
Colorado, will look odd in the Pac 10. Will the PAC 10 change names?
If they get the 5 schools from the Big XII South, they will have a South Division (Arizona, Texas, Colorado, Oklahoma) and a Pacific Coast Division (California, Oregon, Washington). How about Southern Pacific?

J
onejayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 01:49 PM    (permalink
KCJ58
Icon

KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Colorado my new favorite Pac-10 team, GO BUFFS

KCJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 01:50 PM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

More than likely just be Pac-16 or Pac-12. I think Big West would be better though, assuming we do go to 16. Nothing pacific about Oklahoma, Texas or Colorado.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:13 PM    (permalink
Go Cowboys
Pro Bowler

Here is a link on Nebraska for anyone confused.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5276551

Old 06-11-2010, 02:14 PM    (permalink
bwillie26
Veteran

bwillie26 could make a wolverine purr.bwillie26 could make a wolverine purr.bwillie26 could make a wolverine purr.bwillie26 could make a wolverine purr.bwillie26 could make a wolverine purr.bwillie26 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:

Kansas
Kansas State
Baylor
Iowa State
Houston
UTEP
SMU
Rice
Tulsa
Schad is drunk.

That conference would still not be that good football wise. Infact, if they did get an auto-BCS bid, it would be absolutely absurd and further drive the nail of the coffin for the BCS.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:15 PM    (permalink
Go Cowboys
Pro Bowler

Quick heads up..... Via multiple Twitter sources Texas is planning to announce move to Pac 10 as early as Tuesday.

I wouldn't take this as a for sure move but I would consider it a good possibility.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:23 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Big East has been a basketball conference since they made the move to 16 teams. Believe it or not football is second fiddle to basketball in the Big East.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 02:41 PM    (permalink
King Carls 5 Year Plan
Veteran

King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Texas and Oklahoma join the Pac 10 and Nebraska has already joined the Big 10, then the Rose Bowl just made themselves a lot more money. Each one of those schools are football powers and travel very well.
King Carls 5 Year Plan is offline   Reply With Quote