Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 06-24-2010, 03:38 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
As for Nebraska and Florida, Nebraska I actually overrated and moved them down a little, I had them quite high originally. Still like them but the depth at linebacker is an issue and it is yet to be seen how great those defensive backs will become.
Nebraska had the second-lowest scoring defense since 2004 (sorry, cfbstats.com only goes back that far). They did it playing in a high-scoring conference and would have been better if they had an offense that could do anything.

Virginia Tech averaged 31.8 points per game. They scored 16 vs. Nebraska.
Texas Tech averaged 37 points per game. They scored 31 vs. Nebraska.
Texas averaged 39.3 points per game. They scored 12 (!!!!) vs. Nebraska.
Oklahoma averaged 31.1 points per game. They scored, um, yeah, 3, vs. Nebraska.
Arizona averaged 27.4 points per game. Nebraska shut them out.

Quote:
Florida overrated? How, the fact that the defensive line was absolutely sick you did not like? Or the fact they had very fine linebacker play, or the fact they had Reggie Nelson who absolutely dominated at safety, much less got great performances out of corner Ryan Smith intercepting passes. That defensive line was outstanding though and one of the best and deepest I have seen. One could argue they are the best in this group, at least their ends are better than Nebraska's last year with Moss, Harvey and company.
Florida was a very good defense. However, they ranked sixth in scoring D, 33rd in pass defense, fifth in rushing defense, and didn't play offenses that were as good as Nebraska's.

Quote:
Still waiting on the Va Tech and Tennessee defensive roster conversation, or any non standard defense conversation. I know some have watched other defenses outside of the obvious ones. Top to bottom conversation on all rosters is ideal but pick and choose conversation is a must I guess considering.....
Tennessee's defense in the front four was silly good. Virginia Tech, well, to be honest, I lose VT defenses in the shuffle because they're so consistently good without big names.

By the way, Reggie Nelson was the FS for Florida, not the SS.

Oh, Wisconsin '01 defense. You were so nasty.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:33 AM    (permalink
Ozzy
Pro Bowler

Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Nebraska had the second-lowest scoring defense since 2004 (sorry, cfbstats.com only goes back that far). They did it playing in a high-scoring conference and would have been better if they had an offense that could do anything.

Virginia Tech averaged 31.8 points per game. They scored 16 vs. Nebraska.
Texas Tech averaged 37 points per game. They scored 31 vs. Nebraska.
Texas averaged 39.3 points per game. They scored 12 (!!!!) vs. Nebraska.
Oklahoma averaged 31.1 points per game. They scored, um, yeah, 3, vs. Nebraska.
Arizona averaged 27.4 points per game. Nebraska shut them out.
I guess again I am not a big stat guy, but yes they were extremely impressive, just the fact they carried the football team like that, because the offense was just awful but they still won games because of that great defense. So yeah maybe they could be moved back up where I had them before.

Quote:
Florida was a very good defense. However, they ranked sixth in scoring D, 33rd in pass defense, fifth in rushing defense, and didn't play offenses that were as good as Nebraska's.
Again not a stat guy so I never looked at that. And it is debatable if those Big 12 offenses are that good, or Big 12 defenses are just that bad. SEC has some solid offensive teams from time to time, and much better offensive line talent usually. But just the linebackers alone make them get over Nebraska in terms of positional talent.

Quote:
Oh, Wisconsin '01 defense. You were so nasty.
I guess I was mistaken, the defense with the ball hawk Fletcher on it was in 2000. Not sure Bryant or James were great players back then as they were later, but yes that defense was led by those outstanding corners. Not that deep but great corner play.

I guess in 05 they were pretty good too, only freshman with Levy, Casillas, Ike and Langford but a great class and a pretty talented group. Dontez Sanders I just loved at linebacker. Remember a few years back these guy had a great group with these freshman but they did not do all that well during the season.
DE J. Cooper, Shaughnessy
DT Chapman
DT Hayden
DE Monty, Schofield
OLB D. Sanders
ILB Zalewski
OLB Casillas, Levy
CB Ikegwuonu
CB B. Bell, Langford
SS Stellmacher, White
FS R. Rogers
Old 06-25-2010, 05:24 PM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The 05 Crimson Tide defense just missed the cut? If you measure how well they did at the next level, you have to consider them.

NFL starters in bold:

*Alabama 2005
DE W. Gilberry, E. Knight
DT B. Greenwood
DT J. Clark, D. Lee
DE M. Anderson
OLB D. Ryans
ILB F. Roach, P. Hall
OLB J. Simpson
CB S. Castille, R. Robinson
CB C. Peprah, A. Madison
SS R. Harper
FS J. Dukes, R. Johnson

DE Wallace Gilberry later led the SEC in TFLs, Mark Anderson led the NFL in sacks the next yr. as a Chicago Bear rookie, Demeco Ryans was the Defensive MVP with the Texans, & Roman Harper was doing very well with the Saints as a rookie safety until he tore his knee up, he's still trying to come back from that injury. Harper was also the Bama safety who saved the W vs. Tennessee in 05 with a bone-jarring tackle at the goal line to knock the ball out for a touchback.

Quote:
Blessed Big Ten Network, help filling the boring days of summer. Had a great game on last night between Alabama and Michigan. Two fine defenses.
I remember that bowl game loss to Michigan in OT, the Wolverines had that unknown guy at QB named Tom Brady...... the 2 good defenses kind of cancelled one another out & it went into OT.

Last edited by LizardState : 06-25-2010 at 05:29 PM.
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:20 PM    (permalink
JayP
Rookie

JayP wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JayP wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JayP wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JayP wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JayP wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JayP wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JayP wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JayP wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JayP wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JayP wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JayP wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

I think you're thinking of the 2002 ND defense, which should be given a helluva lot more credit that they're getting. When your team goes 10-3 and you can easily chalk up 8 of the wins to defense making plays, that's a hellified defense. If the offense had a freakin' clue that year, ND would have stayed in the NC hunt longer than they did.

The roster for the 2002 team was as follows:

Notre Dame 2002
DE J. Tuck
DT C. Hilliard
DT D. Campbell
DE K. Budinscak
OLB M. Goolsby*
ILB C. Watson
OLB D. Curry
CB S. Walton
CB V. Duff
SS G. Sapp
FS G. Earl

*Goolsby was hurt most of the season, so the other starting position varied.
JayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 08:29 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardState View Post
I remember that bowl game loss to Michigan in OT, the Wolverines had that unknown guy at QB named Tom Brady...... the 2 good defenses kind of cancelled one another out & it went into OT.
<3 David Terrell.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:27 AM    (permalink
Ozzy
Pro Bowler

Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
LizardState The 05 Crimson Tide defense just missed the cut? If you measure how well they did at the next level, you have to consider them.

NFL starters in bold:

*Alabama 2005
DE W. Gilberry, E. Knight
DT B. Greenwood
DT J. Clark, D. Lee
DE M. Anderson
OLB D. Ryans
ILB F. Roach, P. Hall
OLB J. Simpson
CB S. Castille, R. Robinson
CB C. Peprah, A. Madison
SS R. Harper
FS J. Dukes, R. Johnson

DE Wallace Gilberry later led the SEC in TFLs, Mark Anderson led the NFL in sacks the next yr. as a Chicago Bear rookie, Demeco Ryans was the Defensive MVP with the Texans, & Roman Harper was doing very well with the Saints as a rookie safety until he tore his knee up, he's still trying to come back from that injury. Harper was also the Bama safety who saved the W vs. Tennessee in 05 with a bone-jarring tackle at the goal line to knock the ball out for a touchback.
I really like that defense, but so many good ones are ahead of them. But yes could argue it, I like them a lot more than most do because I loved Peprah as a defensive back, LOVED him and Castille I thought was outstanding as well. Prince Hall was lights out as a freshman that year also, too bad his career did not end like that. But yes it was an amazing defense but so was the 1999 defense where Griffin is better than any defensive lineman they had in 05 I feel. But yes they could get up higher but that defensive line is not at that level as some other groups.

Quote:
JayP I think you're thinking of the 2002 ND defense, which should be given a helluva lot more credit that they're getting. When your team goes 10-3 and you can easily chalk up 8 of the wins to defense making plays, that's a hellified defense. If the offense had a freakin' clue that year, ND would have stayed in the NC hunt longer than they did.

The roster for the 2002 team was as follows:

Notre Dame 2002
DE J. Tuck
DT C. Hilliard
DT D. Campbell
DE K. Budinscak
OLB M. Goolsby*
ILB C. Watson
OLB D. Curry
CB S. Walton
CB V. Duff
SS G. Sapp
FS G. Earl

*Goolsby was hurt most of the season, so the other starting position varied.
No the 2003 had more depth and overall talent with Landri, Laws, Zbikowski, Abiamiri and Hoyte I feel. But yes that 2002 defense was good but could make the argument they looked like a flat out joke late in the season and in the bowl game. I never though guys like Sapp, Earl, Vuff or Walton lived up to their potential, none of them did. I thought it was a great defense as well and they were at times but not that good. It has more to do with the fact that they have had so many awful ones as of late, anything resembling solid is considered great or outstanding. But yes lack of production of these players at the next level speaks to their overall talent. They have a lot of decent players, very few elite outside of Tuck. But yes hopefully the Irish get back to their defensive ways but based on Kelly's history, I doubt that happens.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:49 AM    (permalink
Ozzy
Pro Bowler

Here is a tough one I found, the 2002 visus 2000 Ohio State defensive.

The 02 defense has the depth I think and overall talent, especially at linebacker, plus the defensive line was a lot more well polished. But the 2000 defense had great linebackers as well, Bullard and Cooper were both really good, And they have Clements, a great corner along with Derek Ross, Nickey and Doss. But the defensive line was the main weakness because those players were not proven yet. But the 2002 defense accomplished a lot more and Gamble was an absolute game changer.

2002 Ohio State
DE W. Smith, S. Fraser, Kudla
DT D. Scott, Pitcock
DT T. Anderson, M. Green
DE K. Peterson, J. Richardson
OLB B. Carpenter, Hawk
ILB Wihelm, M. D'Andrea
OLB C. Grant, R. Reynolds
CB C. Gamble
CB D. Fox, Underwood
SS Doss, T. Everett
FS W. Allen, Nickey, Salley

2000 Ohio State
DE K. Peterson
DT T. Anderson
DT M. Collins, M. Green
DE W. Smith
OLB C. Bullard
ILB Wilhelm, R. Reynolds
OLB J. Cooper, C. Grant
CB N. Clements
CB D. Ross
SS M. Doss
FS D. Nickey, W. Allen
Old 06-27-2010, 09:50 AM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

2000 defense kinda sucked. guys like wilhelm, doss, nickey, allen, smith, peterson, anderson, and grant were great in 2002 as upperclassmen. they were too young in 2000. No question that 2002 and 1998 were our two best defenses until 2005, 2008, and 2009. I'd rank them like this for this decade:

1-2002
1a-2005
3-2009
4-2008
5-2007
6-2003
Old 06-27-2010, 11:04 PM    (permalink
Ozzy
Pro Bowler

Quote:
keylime_5 2000 defense kinda sucked. guys like wilhelm, doss, nickey, allen, smith, peterson, anderson, and grant were great in 2002 as upperclassmen. they were too young in 2000. No question that 2002 and 1998 were our two best defenses until 2005, 2008, and 2009. I'd rank them like this for this decade:

1-2002
1a-2005
3-2009
4-2008
5-2007
6-2003
I guess I might be incorrect, forgot that a few of my defenses on here go as far back as 1997, and in that time span the 1998 Ohio State defense was lights out, I personally do not remember a ton from that group but clearly they had quite a few talented players. Not sure if this is exact but this is what I could gather was there group.

DE R. Bailey
DT Collins
DT Pickett
DE Wayne
OLB Diggs
ILB Katzenmoyer
OLB J. Cooper
CB Winfield, D. Mitchell
CB Plummer
SS Berry
FS D. Moore

If that is correct? If so I will make the changes needed, clearly Cooper, Pickett and Bailey are over lapping players. But Winfield and Plummer, cannot get much better than them, and Berry was a stud safety.

Sorry for the mistake, not sure how I forgot them, if that is their legit roster they could be really high up there. I would put them over 2002 Ohio State because of the talent level, sure not exactly aware of the depth at all positions but just like the older Penn State and Michigan defenses, they had such star players hard to beat that top flight talent with even depth.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:51 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

I'd have a hard time putting any recent OSU defense ahead of their '02 defense. That defense was amazing and stepped up big. They were the only reason that the refs were able to hand the Buckeyes the NC.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:54 PM    (permalink
Ozzy
Pro Bowler

Just found another great defense I forgot, this Florida State defense was outstanding, had great group of linebackers led by Sims, had Cromartie in form and solid safeties as well, plus very good defensive line play with Bunkley and Wimbley. One of their best, even during a down time for them they could still play defense, outside of last season of course.

2004 Florida State
DE Wimbley
DT Bunkley
DT Fluellen
DE C. Davis
OLB E. Sims
ILB B. Davis
OLB AJ. Nicholson, Timmons
CB A. Cromartie, L. Smith
CB B. McFadden, T. Carter
SS J. Carter
FS P. Watkins

Was going to put that LSU defense with Trev Faulk and Bradie James on it but not enough other stars on the team to include them.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:03 PM    (permalink
JayP
Rookie

JayP wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JayP wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JayP wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JayP wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JayP wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JayP wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JayP wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JayP wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JayP wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JayP wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JayP wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
No the 2003 had more depth and overall talent with Landri, Laws, Zbikowski, Abiamiri and Hoyte I feel. But yes that 2002 defense was good but could make the argument they looked like a flat out joke late in the season and in the bowl game. I never though guys like Sapp, Earl, Vuff or Walton lived up to their potential, none of them did. I thought it was a great defense as well and they were at times but not that good. It has more to do with the fact that they have had so many awful ones as of late, anything resembling solid is considered great or outstanding. But yes lack of production of these players at the next level speaks to their overall talent. They have a lot of decent players, very few elite outside of Tuck. But yes hopefully the Irish get back to their defensive ways but based on Kelly's history, I doubt that happens.
Depth does not equate to quality. And Hoyte and Landri were part of that 2002 defense, albeit role players.

The 2002 defense was #10 in rushing defense, #46 in passing defense, #13 in total defense, #9 in scoring defense, recovered 12 fumbles, intercepted 21 passes, gave up 217 points, and went 10-3.

The 2003 defense was #29 in rushing defense, #48 in passing defense, #33 in total defense, #65 in scoring defense, recovered 17 fumbles, intercepted 13 passes, gave up 315 points, and went 5-7.

If you want to argue that the 2002 team was not deep, I'll give you that one, but statistically, they were far better than the 2003 edition. And the only reason the defense looked bad at the end of the season was because they wore down over the season. You can only succeed so often when the offense is going 3 and out the majority of the time.
JayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 03:14 PM    (permalink
Ozzy
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Depth does not equate to quality. And Hoyte and Landri were part of that 2002 defense, albeit role players.

The 2002 defense was #10 in rushing defense, #46 in passing defense, #13 in total defense, #9 in scoring defense, recovered 12 fumbles, intercepted 21 passes, gave up 217 points, and went 10-3.

The 2003 defense was #29 in rushing defense, #48 in passing defense, #33 in total defense, #65 in scoring defense, recovered 17 fumbles, intercepted 13 passes, gave up 315 points, and went 5-7.

If you want to argue that the 2002 team was not deep, I'll give you that one, but statistically, they were far better than the 2003 edition. And the only reason the defense looked bad at the end of the season was because they wore down over the season. You can only succeed so often when the offense is going 3 and out the majority of the time.
You have a good point, however I would take the players on the 2003 team as a collective group any day over the players on the 2002 team. But yes statistically they were a better defense, but if I went only on statistics, how can one translate statistical success across a time span of over 10 years? I have said before this is based off players basically, not defensive rankings but yes one can prove a point or two with those from time to time. You have a point though, guess I really liked just liked Zbikowski as a player, same with Abiamiri and that put the 2003 defense over the 2002 one for me with Tuck and many other player still on both rosters.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:18 PM    (permalink
Ozzy
Pro Bowler

Here is a challenge, can someone find the Arizona defensive starting lineup from 1998, I can find the roster but not the starters, the one with Chris McAllister, they had a great group, these are the only players I can find from that roster though, it is not complete

1998 Arizona

DE Tafoya
DT
DT
DE
OLB D. Polk
ILB M. Bell
OLB Sprotte A. Pierce
CB McAllister
CB K. Hunter
SS
FS R. Jones

Those linebackers were great, I was a huge Marcus Bell fan, loved some of those outside guys as well, and Tafoya could really play.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:49 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
You have a good point, however I would take the players on the 2003 team as a collective group any day over the players on the 2002 team.
So, you're basically picking these teams based on which players you liked better compared to what they did on the field?
Old 06-28-2010, 05:39 PM    (permalink
Ozzy
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Sniper So, you're basically picking these teams based on which players you liked better compared to what they did on the field?
I sadly do not have a time machine nor do I have game tape of each and every defense on here, all I have is my memory of what each defense did and my memory of what each prospect was like, plus the information on which prospects succeeded at the next level or even got to the next level of football.

If you care to find the defensive statistics and rankings of all of these defensive units be my guest. I personally do not want to even attempt that, finding the rosters was hard enough much less thinking of which defensive units were good or not, thank you very much.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:50 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
I sadly do not have a time machine nor do I have game tape of each and every defense on here, all I have is my memory of what each defense did and my memory of what each prospect was like, plus the information on which prospects succeeded at the next level or even got to the next level of football.

If you care to find the defensive statistics and rankings of all of these defensive units be my guest. I personally do not want to even attempt that, finding the rosters was hard enough much less thinking of which defensive units were good or not, thank you very much.
Right, I wouldn't expect you to remember every player. However, when a fan of a team clearly proves that one defense was superior to the other and you got with the cop-out that "I like Player Z over Player X" and completely ignoring the actual on-field results, it doesn't make sense.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:21 PM    (permalink
Ozzy
Pro Bowler

A few more rosters I will be ranking possibly later on tonight, that NC State group is sick in the front four, I forgot about them, they were flat out dominating, loved how Manny Lawson played and McCargo was a load in the middle. Plus Hoyte was a stud inside backer with those guys infront of him.

2005 NC State
DE M. Williams, L. Wright
DT D. Pressley, A. Cash
DT J. McCargo, D. Tyler
DE M. Lawson, W. Young
OLB S. Tulloch
ILB O. Hoyte
OLB P. Lowery
CB AJ Davis
CB M. Hudson
SS G. Heath
FS L. Rumph, D. Morgan

2005 Kansas
DE C. Keith
DT C. Blakesley
DT J. McClinton
DE J. Wheeler
OLB J. Mortensen, B. Perkins
ILB N. Reid
OLB M. Rivera, J. Holt
CB A. Talib
CB C. Gordon
SS J. Kemp
FS D. Stuckey, J. Thornton

2008 Utah
DE P. Kruger
DT Talamaivao
DT Filiaga
DE K. Misi
OLB Sylvester
ILB M. Wright
OLB Fotu
CB S. Smith
CB B. McCain, R, Stanford
SS J. Dale
FS R. Johnson

2006 Cal
DE Ma'afala
DT Mebane
DT T. Alualu
DE Tafisi
OLB A. Felder
ILB D. Bishop
OLB W. Williams, Z. Follett
CB D. Hughes
CB T. Mixon
SS B. Hicks
FS T. DeCoud
Old 06-28-2010, 08:28 PM    (permalink
RealityCheck
All-Pro

RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
2005 NC State
DE M. Williams, L. Wright
DT D. Pressley, A. Cash
DT J. McCargo, D. Tyler
DE M. Lawson, W. Young
Prospect-wise, that is the greatest DL of all-time, until someone proves it wrong.

And you know who will prove it wrong.
RealityCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:01 PM    (permalink
Ozzy
Pro Bowler

And this Michigan State defense was tough and very bad ass, very aggressive and a really good group. That Miss State defense, not a lot of big names but was big time and really played great football.

1999 Michigan State
DE R. Smith
DT D. Bernard
DT D. Thomas
DE J. Hendricks
OLB J. Peterson
ILB TJ. Turner
OLB J. Thornhill
CB A. Cambell, B. Nelson
CB R. Hill, C. Henry
SS T. Wright
FS R. Newsome

1998 Texas A&M
DE R. Bernard
DT R. Edwards
DE Flemons
OLB C. Anthony
ILB D. Nguyen
ILB J. Glenn
OLB W. Holdman
CB J. Webster
CB S. Curry
SS M. Jameson
FS R. Coady

2002 Washington State
DE I. Brown
DT R. Long
DT Tupai
DE Acholonu
OLB K. Sperry
ILB W. Derting
OLB P. Bennett
CB M. Trufant
CB K. Paymah, J. David
SS E. Coleman
FS H. Abdullah

2000 Miss State
DE E. Wyms
DT W. Blade
DT D. Davis, T. Golliday
DE C. Stephens
OLB J. Clark
ILB M. Haggan
OLB R. Knight
CB F. Smoot
CB S. Byrdsong, E. Clinton
SS P. Prather
FS J. Morgan
Old 06-28-2010, 09:20 PM    (permalink
Ozzy
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Prospect-wise, that is the greatest DL of all-time, until someone proves it wrong.

And you know who will prove it wrong.
Maybe but I doubt it, Quinn is elite and Austin is, but they have no one like Lawson, Williams and Lawson were big time, UNC at this moment does not have a combo like that. And one could really argue about the depth of NC State's defensive tackles kills UNC.

They arguably had more depth at DL in Chapel Hill during Austin's freshman year

2007 UNC DL
DE H. Taylor
DT Balmer, K. Guy
DT Austin, C. Thomas
DE EJ. Wilson

They need another lineman outside of Quinn and Austin to step up if they want to be a historic defensive line. Let us be serious, LSU in 2004 were way better than UNC or NC State arguably in terms of quality depth.

2004 LSU DL
DE M. Spears, M. Oliver, T. Johnson
DT K. Williams, C. Wroten
DT G. Dorsey, M. Favorite
DE C. Pittman, T. Jackson

Also a completely homer pick but what about this 1999 Golden Gopher defense? Had solid rush ends in Riley and White, decent linebackers and outstanding defensive backs. Award winner Tyrone Carter, big time prospect in Middlebrooks, and other solid corners in Wyrick and Lehan and depth at safety with Brewer, Ward and Jones.

Sure not great but considering their defenses now a days, this is one of the best ever for Minnesota, sadly doubt they have a defense anywhere close to this one anytime soon.

DE K. Riley
DT Schlecht
DT D. Russ
DE G. White
OLB C. Poole
ILB S. Hoffman
OLB B. Mezera
CB W. Middlebrooks
CB J. Wyrick, M. Lehan
SS T. Carter, E. Ward
FS D. Jones J. Brewer

Last edited by Ozzy : 06-28-2010 at 09:38 PM.
Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:52 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So a number one ranked defense (you know, VT 2005) isn't even a top 50 unit of the decade. And another number one unit (VT 2006) isn't in the top 20.

lol.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:04 PM    (permalink
Ozzy
Pro Bowler

Quote:
BamaFalcon59 So a number one ranked defense (you know, VT 2005) isn't even a top 50 unit of the decade. And another number one unit (VT 2006) isn't in the top 20.

lol.
Apparently, not only can you not speak of only Virginia Tech football, but also you cannot read. The very impressive 2005 Virginia Tech defense is ranked 21st on this list, look again.

21) 2005
Virginia Tech
DE D. Tapp O. Martin
DT J. Lewis
DT C. Powell
DE C. Ellis Burchette
OLB X. Adibi
ILB V. Hall
OLB J. Anderson
CB J. Williams, V. Harris
CB B. Flowers
SS A. Rouse, D. Parker
FS J. Hamilton
Old 07-06-2010, 12:45 AM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Apparently, not only can you not speak of only Virginia Tech football, but also you cannot read. The very impressive 2005 Virginia Tech defense is ranked 21st on this list, look again.

21) 2005
Virginia Tech
DE D. Tapp O. Martin
DT J. Lewis
DT C. Powell
DE C. Ellis Burchette
OLB X. Adibi
ILB V. Hall
OLB J. Anderson
CB J. Williams, V. Harris
CB B. Flowers
SS A. Rouse, D. Parker
FS J. Hamilton
I mentioned two squads, 2005 and 2006.

But hey, if you don't have a 2006 VT squad on your list, that just hurts your credibility. Not that they had the number one ranked defense nationally in points allowed, yards allowed, and passing yards allowed. Not that we held 10/13 opponents to thirteen or less points or anything. And not to mention our offense often put the defensive unit in horrible situations. But whatever :).

Virginia Tech.
DE C. Ellis, O. Martin
DT B. Booker, K. Robertson
DT C. Powell
DE N. Burchette, N. Brown
ILB X. Adibi
ILB V. Hall
WHIP B. Hill
CB V. Harris
CB B. Flowers
SS A. Rouse
FS D. Parker

Next Up: 2012

Last edited by BamaFalcon59 : 07-06-2010 at 12:56 AM.
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:08 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
I mentioned two squads, 2005 and 2006.

But hey, if you don't have a 2006 VT squad on your list, that just hurts your credibility. Not that they had the number one ranked defense nationally in points allowed, yards allowed, and passing yards allowed. Not that we held 10/13 opponents to thirteen or less points or anything. And not to mention our offense often put the defensive unit in horrible situations. But whatever :)
Well, they're no '07 Illinois.