Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 07-11-2010, 08:04 PM    (permalink
Malaka
Thinking of Juan
Pro Bowler

Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
malaka, read some David Hume
I have never heard of him. What kind of writer is he?

Bone Krusher, the best
Malaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:19 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaka View Post
I have never heard of him. What kind of writer is he?
an author/philosopher from the Enlightenment

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:57 PM    (permalink
Malaka
Thinking of Juan
Pro Bowler

Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
an author/philosopher from the Enlightenment
Well I coulda googled that, I guess I could google this one too but I'll ask you anyway lol; I meant like how does he write, for instance Nietzche's Zarathustra reads like a story meanwhile his *** Science reads like a text book. Text book is not a good word, ugh but I can't put a word to it, it just doesn't read like a story... if that makes any sense.

I am very interested though, after Seat of the Soul I planned on reading Plato's Republic.

Bone Krusher, the best
Old 07-11-2010, 10:02 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Well I coulda googled that, I guess I could google this one too but I'll ask you anyway lol; I meant like how does he write, for instance Nietzche's Zarathustra reads like a story meanwhile his *** Science reads like a text book. Text book is not a good word, ugh but I can't put a word to it, it just doesn't read like a story... if that makes any sense.

I am very interested though, after Seat of the Soul I planned on reading Plato's Republic.
If you are going to read Plato, read Euthyphro.

From here:

In "An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding" Hume discusses the weakness that humans have in their abilities to comprehend the world around them, what is referred to in the title as human understanding.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:10 PM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Amazing, book really opened my eyes to a few things in life. I once fought with APS about Nihilism and read this book just to fully grasp it. I can say that I definitely think differently and live differently.
pretty sure Nietzsche wasn't a nihilist.

and Hume's stuff is pure philosophy, but it is awesome because he is awesome. I've read excerpts of ...Human Understanding and ...Principles of Morals.

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
<TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that
The Unseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:13 PM    (permalink
Malaka
Thinking of Juan
Pro Bowler

Quote:
If you are going to read Plato, read Euthyphro.

From here:

In "An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding" Hume discusses the weakness that humans have in their abilities to comprehend the world around them, what is referred to in the title as human understanding.
I was gonna read Republic because I was taking a law class and I wanted to see Plato's view of things. I have honestly never heard of Euthypro what does Plato discuss in that?

I'll add Hume's to the list of books I want to get to.

I still got Utopia by Sir Thomas Moore, One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, gotta finish up the Divine Comedy (almost done there), and also I really want to read Sketch for a Historical Picture of the Progress of the Human Mind by Marquis de Condorcet.

It's unfortunate I go through my books rather slowly, maybe a chapter every other day. Football practice, online classes, and summer reading (fml). Brent if you ever have any more books to recommend please let me know :) lol

Bone Krusher, the best

Last edited by Malaka : 07-11-2010 at 10:15 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:16 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
I was gonna read Republic because I was taking a law class and I wanted to see Plato's view of things. I have honestly never heard of Euthypro was does Plato discuss in that
Euthyphro is, according to Wiki:

"one of Plato's early dialogues, dated to after 399 BCE. Taking place during the weeks leading up to Socrates' trial, the dialogue features Socrates and Euthyphro, a man known for claiming to be a religious expert. They attempt to pinpoint a definition for piety."

I had to read it for a Rhetoric class which was taught by one of my favorite profs in college.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:17 PM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unseen View Post

and Hume's stuff is pure philosophy, but it is awesome because he is awesome. I've read excerpts of ...Human Understanding and ...Principles of Morals.
also stuff from Dialogues concerning Natural Religion. basically the excerpt where Hume told the design argument to gtfo

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
Old 07-11-2010, 10:18 PM    (permalink
Malaka
Thinking of Juan
Pro Bowler

Quote:

Nietzche wasn't a Nihilist but he wrote a lot about Nihilism, he was probably best catergorized as an existentialist, like the man in my avatar, but neither declared themselves to be anything. Existentialism and Nihilism, though both tending to be atheist, are near opposites.

Edit: I love it, people who I can actually talk to people my age look at me strange when they see me reading these books.

Bone Krusher, the best
Old 07-11-2010, 10:20 PM    (permalink
Malaka
Thinking of Juan
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Euthyphro is, according to Wiki:

"one of Plato's early dialogues, dated to after 399 BCE. Taking place during the weeks leading up to Socrates' trial, the dialogue features Socrates and Euthyphro, a man known for claiming to be a religious expert. They attempt to pinpoint a definition for piety."

I had to read it for a Rhetoric class which was taught by one of my favorite profs in college.
I would love to read that, they try to define piety? Sounds interesting.

Bone Krusher, the best
Old 07-11-2010, 10:22 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
I would love to read that, they try to define piety? Sounds interesting.
I'll break it down for you:

Is something pious because the gods like it, or do the gods like something because it's pleasing?

Go from there. Also, remember, there are no works of Socrates, all his dialogues are works of Plato. One could argue that Socrates never existed and that he was a vehicle for Plato. Just sayin'

Old 07-11-2010, 10:30 PM    (permalink
Malaka
Thinking of Juan
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Go from there. Also, remember, there are no works of Socrates, all his dialogues are works of Plato. One could argue that Socrates never existed and that he was a vehicle for Plato. Just sayin'
This blew my mind... lmao, I never thought of it in that way.

I have heard that argument somewhere before. Is something deemed wrong because god says it to be or because of human morality. For instance abortion or *** marriage, god usually always seems to come up in those debates. Thank you very much Brent, the Republic can wait. I'll probably finish up Seat of the Soul, Purgatory and Paradise, before I get Euthypro though.

Bone Krusher, the best
Old 07-11-2010, 10:31 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Euthyphro is ******* tough, man. Be aware that you need to take your time when you read, it's a very deep work.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:36 PM    (permalink
Malaka
Thinking of Juan
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Euthyphro is ******* tough, man. Be aware that you need to take your time when you read, it's a very deep work.
I hope I am prepared.

I read Thus Spoke Zarathustra a bit prematurely IMO, and now I regret it because the more I read I look back and understand so much more from Zarathustra now. At first I thought Nieztche was a Nihilist which is a common misconception, but after I did a research paper on Walt Whitman and in the process learned about existentialism, Thoureau/Emerson etc. I realized he was most definitely closer to that.

Sometimes I want to go back and re-read it but it'd screw up my order too much, plus if I hate watching movies twice I could just imagine a book.

I lock myself in a "cave" when I read Euthypro lol.

Bone Krusher, the best
Old 07-11-2010, 10:39 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

if you liked the outdoors authors, like Thoreau and etc., read A Sand County Almanac by Aldo Leopold.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:44 PM    (permalink
Malaka
Thinking of Juan
Pro Bowler

Quote:
if you liked the outdoors authors, like Thoreau and etc., read A Sand County Almanac by Aldo Leopold.
I haven't read em yet, I only did a research paper and learned a bit about them. I have got a long waiting list lol, I hope I can read through all of them. I'll keep that one in mind as well.

Bone Krusher, the best
Old 07-11-2010, 10:45 PM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
I'll break it down for you:

Is something pious because the gods like it, or do the gods like something because it's pleasing?
I like how the Euthyphro was the first thing I read in my Intro to Philosophy class. My professor used it as an example of philosophical argumentation (aka Socrates schoolin kids), but it's got theodicy and moral philosophy all up in it.

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
Old 07-11-2010, 10:48 PM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
Nietzche wasn't a Nihilist but he wrote a lot about Nihilism, he was probably best catergorized as an existentialist, like the man in my avatar, but neither declared themselves to be anything. Existentialism and Nihilism, though both tending to be atheist, are near opposites.

Edit: I love it, people who I can actually talk to people my age look at me strange when they see me reading these books.
right.

I'm pretty interested in existentialism. If you're interested in it, I suggest reading Existentialism is a Humanism by Sartre if you haven't yet. It's only ~30 pages and is a speech by Sartre on his existentialism. Very good.

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
Old 07-11-2010, 10:50 PM    (permalink
Malaka
Thinking of Juan
Pro Bowler

Quote:
right.

I'm pretty interested in existentialism. If you're interested in it, I suggest reading Existentialism is a Humanism by Sartre if you haven't yet. It's only ~30 pages and is a speech by Sartre on his existentialism. Very good.
I fell in love with existentialism, makes you really want to go out and do something remarkable.

Bone Krusher, the best
Old 07-11-2010, 10:57 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
I like how the Euthyphro was the first thing I read in my Intro to Philosophy class. My professor used it as an example of philosophical argumentation (aka Socrates schoolin kids), but it's got theodicy and moral philosophy all up in it.
Euthyphro is great because you see the Socratic method at its best, and it's fascinating.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:21 PM    (permalink
Bob Sanders Dreadlock
Pro Bowler

Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I know its been posted in here but i feel i can finish it an start reading it all over again right away. Its that good

Colts Cardinals Bulls Hurricanes
Bob Sanders Dreadlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:23 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If you get any suspicious packages from Brent, don't open them.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:59 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

yeah, **** Ayn Rand.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:10 AM    (permalink
steelersfan43
Pro Bowler

steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Im gonna read this now thank you sir. Im gonna read silent spring next then ill get it.

If you like environmental books and stuff you should read this

Really really good about how wolves have been persecuted throughout america and the effort to bring them back. Makes me sad and angry though.
steelersfan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:11 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Silent Spring is great.