Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-16-2007, 01:22 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk View Post
No, of course not. I always wonder whether we needed to sacrifice that much to get Gruden and win the Super Bowl, but he did make it happen so I can't be greedy. I wouldn't take back that trade in a million years.
Stop it, you're making me hate Eugene Robinson more than I already do. I blame him.

Last edited by Shiver : 03-16-2007 at 01:25 AM.
Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 01:23 AM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24cadillac24 View Post
This workout could just be used for the future. Grant will be a free agent next year so maybe Allen and Chucky are just trying to get the inside track on possibly signing him in the future.
That sounds like wishful thinking if I ever heard it.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 01:25 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
That sounds like wishful thinking if I ever heard it.
How so? The Bucs wouldn't give up two first rounders for him and a trade between divisional teams is highly unlikely. I think it is actually a logical reason for the workout.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 03:02 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

After seeing Charles Grant play against them for quite some time now, I highly doubt that the Bucs coaching staff and general managers are wanting to bring him in for a workout just to get a closer look at him.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 04:06 AM    (permalink
Saints Dome Patrol
Team Leader
Veteran

Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Personally, I feel like this is just a ploy for Charles Grant to get a long-term, more money deal from New Orleans.

I doubt that Tampa Bay would be willing to give up two first rounders and I don't think that the two sides would be unable to make a deal that both sides would agree on.

But if he wants to go, [expletive deleted] it.... let him go...

Sig by jkpigskin

SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS! Bless you boys!

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Check out my blog!
http://sportsinsomniacs.wordpress.com/

Follow myself and The Sports Insomniacs on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/SportInsomniacs
Saints Dome Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 09:04 AM    (permalink
Bradentonian
Rookie

Bradentonian hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Bradentonian hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk View Post
Name a DE in the draft this year that you think will have a bigger impact and help us win more than Grant.

We would be lucky if the Saints agreed to that trade anyway.
I agree with this. Grant is a proven player and was (according to PewterReport.com) the Bucs' top FA priority until he was franchised. I have no doubt they'd drop a 3rd on him if given the opportunity. Also, keep in mind that players could be involved in a potential trade. Brain Kelly, for instance, who might be able to get the new deal he's looking for from the Saints (pending physical, of course). Saints need a good corner.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:06 AM    (permalink
Bradentonian
Rookie

Bradentonian hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Bradentonian hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubby View Post
It is just a rumor. No NFL team would be stupid enough to give up two first round picks for one player.

Except for the Dallas Cowboys.
Bucs did it before (Keyshawn Johnson). But you are right, the only way this happens is if TB/NO work out a reasonable trade. Could be a longshot, dealing with division rivals.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:14 AM    (permalink
Seasonticketholder
Veteran

Seasonticketholder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seasonticketholder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seasonticketholder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seasonticketholder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seasonticketholder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seasonticketholder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seasonticketholder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seasonticketholder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seasonticketholder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seasonticketholder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seasonticketholder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints Dome Patrol View Post
Personally, I feel like this is just a ploy for Charles Grant to get a long-term, more money deal from New Orleans.

I doubt that Tampa Bay would be willing to give up two first rounders and I don't think that the two sides would be unable to make a deal that both sides would agree on.

But if he wants to go, [expletive deleted] it.... let him go...
The only problem with this argument is that the Bucs would not have a reason to help Grant secure a long-term deal with the Saints. The Bucs are setting up this meeting, not Grant.

I think it's either two things. It is either to rile up the Saints while further evaluating Grant or it is the Bucs are generally interested.

The Bucs have two second rounders. They could easily target a WR in the second without having to pay him the big money they would have to pay Johnson if he is still there at #4. Grant is a proven commodity and is one of the rare DEs who is good at both defending the run and rushing the passer. The Bucs could be very interested in Gaines Adams or Jamaal Anderson and just feel that Grant would be better.

The argument is typically made that you should go with the younger guy versus the veteran because the younger guy will be with you longer. But I think that argument is shortsighted. In the age of FA, you are sometimes getting a guy only for 5 or 6 years. With Grant only 28 and entering his prime, the Bucs would be getting Grant for 5 or 6 years. So it about evens out.

The Saints hold all the cards on this one. I DOUBT the Bucs would give up two first rounders for Grant. But the #4 pick might be equivalent to having two #1s because it is so high. If the Bucs believe Grant to be better than any defender they can get out this draft, I do not think it would be unreasonable for the Saints to ask for the Bucs #4 pick. If the Bucs bark at that request, the Saints do not have to trade him. Either way, the Bucs will either have to give in to the Saints trade demands or sign him and give up the two firsts. They have virtually no leverage. Of course, one might argue that Grant could become upset with the situation, especially if the Bucs offer him a long-term deal and then make it seem like the Saints are not being fair with allowing him to leave. But because Grant would be going to a division rival, there is NO WAY you just let him walk away without getting more than adequate compensation. If you do not get the #4, then the only other deal out there to be had with the Bucs in my honest opinion would be to get their 2 second rounders and either a 4th rounder or a player. If not, you keep Grant and franchise him again next year. Grant will not sit out a year a la Sean Gilbert and miss out on a $8 million payday no matter how upset he might become. And he also will not underperform because he would be entering the free agency market again next year and will be a year older. Thus, he would want to be as attractive a free agent as he possibly can be.
Seasonticketholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 09:31 AM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24cadillac24 View Post
This workout could just be used for the future. Grant will be a free agent next year so maybe Allen and Chucky are just trying to get the inside track on possibly signing him in the future.
lol. Take off those rose colored glasses.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:54 AM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Grant & the 27th pick for the 4th overall pick & a 4th round pick. Hmmm. I'd take that.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 02:08 AM    (permalink
Saints Dome Patrol
Team Leader
Veteran

Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasonticketholder View Post
The only problem with this argument is that the Bucs would not have a reason to help Grant secure a long-term deal with the Saints. The Bucs are setting up this meeting, not Grant.

I think it's either two things. It is either to rile up the Saints while further evaluating Grant or it is the Bucs are generally interested.

The Bucs have two second rounders. They could easily target a WR in the second without having to pay him the big money they would have to pay Johnson if he is still there at #4. Grant is a proven commodity and is one of the rare DEs who is good at both defending the run and rushing the passer. The Bucs could be very interested in Gaines Adams or Jamaal Anderson and just feel that Grant would be better.

The argument is typically made that you should go with the younger guy versus the veteran because the younger guy will be with you longer. But I think that argument is shortsighted. In the age of FA, you are sometimes getting a guy only for 5 or 6 years. With Grant only 28 and entering his prime, the Bucs would be getting Grant for 5 or 6 years. So it about evens out.

The Saints hold all the cards on this one. I DOUBT the Bucs would give up two first rounders for Grant. But the #4 pick might be equivalent to having two #1s because it is so high. If the Bucs believe Grant to be better than any defender they can get out this draft, I do not think it would be unreasonable for the Saints to ask for the Bucs #4 pick. If the Bucs bark at that request, the Saints do not have to trade him. Either way, the Bucs will either have to give in to the Saints trade demands or sign him and give up the two firsts. They have virtually no leverage. Of course, one might argue that Grant could become upset with the situation, especially if the Bucs offer him a long-term deal and then make it seem like the Saints are not being fair with allowing him to leave. But because Grant would be going to a division rival, there is NO WAY you just let him walk away without getting more than adequate compensation. If you do not get the #4, then the only other deal out there to be had with the Bucs in my honest opinion would be to get their 2 second rounders and either a 4th rounder or a player. If not, you keep Grant and franchise him again next year. Grant will not sit out a year a la Sean Gilbert and miss out on a $8 million payday no matter how upset he might become. And he also will not underperform because he would be entering the free agency market again next year and will be a year older. Thus, he would want to be as attractive a free agent as he possibly can be.
While I don't disagree that Buccaneers aren't interested in Charles Grant, I think that obviously Grant is interested in Tampa Bay as well. While I agree with you that Saints hold the cards, I, like you, doubt that that the Bucs would give up two first rounders for Grant. Technically, I doubt that anyone would give up two first rounders for anybody, but that's just me.

I also agree with you that I doubt that Grant would sit out the season, but then again, look at Lance Briggs. So I don't know.

Personally, like I said earlier, I hope that the Saints can work something out and either lock Grant up with a long-term deal or trade him for multiple picks and possibly a player as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
Grant & the 27th pick for the 4th overall pick & a 4th round pick. Hmmm. I'd take that.
Umm, no. I definitely wouldn't make that trade. Somehow, I would think that the Buccaneers get the better end of that trade.

Sig by jkpigskin

SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS! Bless you boys!

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Check out my blog!
http://sportsinsomniacs.wordpress.com/

Follow myself and The Sports Insomniacs on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/SportInsomniacs
Saints Dome Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 04:19 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubby View Post
It is just a rumor. No NFL team would be stupid enough to give up two first round picks for one player.

Except for the Dallas Cowboys.
Maybe you mean the Redskins. It is just a rumor though.

Rest in Peace, themaninblack
eaglesalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote