Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 07-22-2010, 12:39 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Location: Crushed Anthony Thomas hopes and broken Mark Herlizch dreams...
Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Prospect of the Day: OLB Von Miller, Texas A&M

To see previously discussed prospects, click here.

OLB Von Miller, Texas A&M
6'3 - 240 lbs. - Senior

Highlights!

A great fit as a 3-4 OLB, IMO.

Props to clover_jeez!
Mr. Goosemahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:53 PM    (permalink
MidwayMonster31
Pro Bowler

MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The speed is there, but he could use several more pass-rushing moves. It also looked like Texas wanted to exploit Miller constantly rushing from the outside of the pocket
Old 07-22-2010, 01:13 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Can't play the run.
Has no power moves.

Great outside speed.
Elite burst off the line.
Elite bend.

I can't see him as more than a SAM linebacker in a 34 defense or maybe only a 3rd down pass rusher. I just think he's that much of a liability against the run and I doubt he can cover.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:45 PM    (permalink
tenorx
Rookie

tenorx could make a wolverine purr.tenorx could make a wolverine purr.tenorx could make a wolverine purr.tenorx could make a wolverine purr.tenorx could make a wolverine purr.tenorx could make a wolverine purr.

My favourite prospect next year, I believe he will go somewhere at 15-20.
"Not only is Polamalu the best player in the AFC North, but I feel he's the best defensive player in the entire NFL. No defender in the league combines world-class athleticism, smarts, fundamentals, natural football instincts and the knack for big plays better than Polamalu."
tenorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 02:56 PM    (permalink
RealityCheck
All-Pro

RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He surely can produce, but does he have what it takes? I guess we'll see this year.
RealityCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:15 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityCheck View Post
He surely can produce, but does he have what it takes? I guess we'll see this year.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:20 PM    (permalink
zachsaints52
All-Pro

zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACKLE View Post
Classic!!!

But this is a guy alot of people say will fall to the Saints in the later part of the draft, so its good to find out more about him.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:36 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wanted him to declare last year so the Steelers took him. Now there's no chance we get him.

How does he compare to Larry English? English can be much more powerful right?

Props to clover_jeez!
Old 07-22-2010, 08:17 PM    (permalink
will99890
Rookie

will99890 is a cocksman.will99890 is a cocksman.will99890 is a cocksman.will99890 is a cocksman.will99890 is a cocksman.

Yea, English plays with better leverage and power but no where near the burst. Comparison is tough, Von Miller = Jason Worilds maybe.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:29 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goosemahn View Post
I wanted him to declare last year so the Steelers took him. Now there's no chance we get him.
Oh I think you'll have a chance at him next year too.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:38 PM    (permalink
prock
All-Pro

prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityCheck View Post
This is one of the most pointless, stupid comments I have seen in awhile lol.

Bonekrusher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTaber View Post
Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.
prock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:31 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

that Texas highlight does him no justice. we had so few games televised.

we are running a 3-4 this year and he's playing the role of "blitz the QB every play" this year. he's going to get targeted by every offense.

I love me some Von Miller.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:03 AM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
Oh I think you'll have a chance at him next year too.
Oh, we'll probably get the chance to choose him, but we won't because we took two this year.

Jason Worilds in the second, Thaddeus Gibson in the fourth. Those guys won't be starting anytime soon. Getting Miller in the first next year would simply be overkill, and very unnecessary.

Props to clover_jeez!
Old 07-23-2010, 05:44 PM    (permalink
bce
Veteran

bce bce bce bce bce bce bce bce bce bce bce

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
Can't play the run.
Has no power moves.

Great outside speed.
Elite burst off the line.
Elite bend.

I can't see him as more than a SAM linebacker in a 34 defense or maybe only a 3rd down pass rusher. I just think he's that much of a liability against the run and I doubt he can cover.
If he has elite outside speed, elite burst and elite bend hes certainly not going to be playing sam linebacker.

It doesnt really matter if hes a liability in coverage either. Demarcus ware is a liability in coverage.

It doesnt matter if hes weak against the run, which i didnt really see there anyway.

All that matters is that he gets to the qb way more often than anyone else and its not even a close second. Hes a pass rusher and best yet a proven stand up pass rushing linebacker.

All his weaknesses may be true, but they dont even come close to measuring up to his strengths, which you enumerated previous. Since when does it matter if elite pass rushers are great against the run. As long as they get to the qb it doesnt really make any difference.

Because thats what they are paid to do. Not paid to be run stuffers and cover people. They do those things occasionally. They rush the passer 90% of the time.
bce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 03:56 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bce View Post
If he has elite outside speed, elite burst and elite bend hes certainly not going to be playing sam linebacker.

It doesnt really matter if hes a liability in coverage either. Demarcus ware is a liability in coverage.

It doesnt matter if hes weak against the run, which i didnt really see there anyway.

All that matters is that he gets to the qb way more often than anyone else and its not even a close second. Hes a pass rusher and best yet a proven stand up pass rushing linebacker.

All his weaknesses may be true, but they dont even come close to measuring up to his strengths, which you enumerated previous. Since when does it matter if elite pass rushers are great against the run. As long as they get to the qb it doesnt really make any difference.

Because thats what they are paid to do. Not paid to be run stuffers and cover people. They do those things occasionally. They rush the passer 90% of the time.
Well that all depends on which 34 system you are going to be playing in. If it is the Cowboys etc as you were saying with Ware then it is fine to just pin your ears back and rush the passer. How Bill Belichick has on numerous occassions passed on undersized pass rushers due to their inability to set the edge in run support. For instance, in the past two drafts many people would assume he would have picked either Everette Brown or Jerry Hughes as the Pats had a problem rushing the passer. But due to their problems against the run he passed on them.

Some teams think a 34 OLB is just an undersized 43 DE while some teams will not select OLBs who are less than 6'3 265 due to what they ask them to do schematically both against the run and in pass coverage. The 34 became successful because a lot of the time offensive lines didnt know who was rushing. If every play you have 3 defensive linemen and two OLBs pass rushing then it becomes predictible.

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:19 PM    (permalink
CLong4Heisman
Veteran

CLong4Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CLong4Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CLong4Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CLong4Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CLong4Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CLong4Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CLong4Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CLong4Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CLong4Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CLong4Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CLong4Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bce View Post

It does matter if he's a liability against the run. A guy like him would be exploited against a power running team like the Jets or Ravens. That's what makes DeMarcus Ware such a great player, he can hold his own against the run and of course get after the passer.
I like him at the later part of the 1st round, like 20th-25th range
Old 07-24-2010, 03:49 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He's not even that polished of a pass rusher. His only rush move is his speed rush and he uses poor leverage. He's purely a work in progress.

I could see him going a lot lower than people on this forum simply because he won't be able to succeed in the NFL with poor leverage and only a speed rush.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:12 PM    (permalink
bce
Veteran

Where he goes is immaterial. he has the gift, dont pass on guys who have the gift. There just arent that many of them and if you want to play good defense in the nfl, better have one for sure, and best yet to have 2 of them.

He only displayed the speed rush etc in that short video. Theres plenty of tape of spin moves and bull rushes out there. As far as pass rush moves go, theres no one in the college game that displays more, not even close. You just have to watch more than that albeit excellent spot shadow technology video, a video which i originally posted about 2 months ago. Its also a video of strengths and weaknesses, its not a "highlight video"
Old 07-24-2010, 09:27 PM    (permalink
thenewfeature06
Pro Bowler

thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think at best we see something like Calvin Pace and at worst Vernon Ghoslton.. just my instinct after those videos..hard to tell how he is against the run, and may need some more moves.
Go Amare.
thenewfeature06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:44 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewfeature06 View Post
after those videos
I'll be the first to admit that I am biased toward Von, being that I am an A&M grad, but our lack of success it a reason why there is not more film on him.

This year is going to be HUGE for him. He'll be an OLB in a 3-4 and might make his stock soar.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:44 PM    (permalink
bce
Veteran

You just cant teach this stuff. No pass rush moves? heres some inside moves, some spin moves, a little dusting of russel okung, to go along with what you really cant teach, the flat out ability to just beat guys off the edge. Theres no one even remotely close in college.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu7wh1VNnEo
Old 07-24-2010, 09:49 PM    (permalink
bce
Veteran

dont see anything like this from robert quinn.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:23 PM    (permalink
cajuncorey
Rookie

cajuncorey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cajuncorey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cajuncorey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cajuncorey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cajuncorey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cajuncorey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cajuncorey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cajuncorey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cajuncorey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cajuncorey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cajuncorey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

true bce... von miller is going to be a good 3-4 olb hes a sack machine
cajuncorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:54 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewfeature06 View Post
I think at best we see something like Calvin Pace and at worst Vernon Ghoslton.. just my instinct after those videos..hard to tell how he is against the run, and may need some more moves.
To be honest I don't see either of those comparisons. Pace and Gholston are both huge guys and I don't see Miller being nearly as stiff as Gholston which was his main problem. Granted I haven't seen a ton of him, but the little I've seen is enough that the worst case of Gholston is off in terms of style and unfair (Gholston's worst case is like the ultimate worst case scenario, he hasn't been all that much more productive than any of us would've been given the same play time). Miller's actually kind of unique when trying to come up with an NFL comparison, I don't think I can come up with a good one right now to be perfectly honest so I can't be too critical, but I just wanted to comment on those comparisons.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:35 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hope he's really 6'3, 240#, because watching his tape he looks like safety coming on a blitz because of his quickness and pursuit.
Athletically, he looks a lot smaller.

He's more than a straight line speed rusher IMO. The kid can explode from a 2 or 3 point, and redirect in full stride to undercut across a blocker's face. His lateral movement is sick for a pass rusher.
He needs to put on about 10 pounds of muscle to become a consensus top 12 pick, assuming he can approach the season he had in 2009.

Gotta love a guy who makes it look like he playing against 11 guys who aren't moving.