Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-03-2010, 10:52 PM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I know they've made serious strides in treating these damn injuries over the past 10-15 years, but I wish they could somehow magically cut them down to a 2 months out. Speed up the rehab process.
It's amazing that LARS technology is not being used in the NFL and NBA yet. We have been using it over here in the AFL(Aussie Rules) for 3 years now, cuts the duration of an ACL from 9 months to 3 months. It is revolutionary and has not been tested over sustained periods but so far all the guys who have used it in the AFL have had no issues with it.

Basically the majority of the recovery on a traditional knee reconstruction is actually the hamstring or patella tendon that is used to reconstruct the ACL(depending on the type of surgery depends on which one) the ACL itself is fairly good after a couple of months. LARS uses a synthetic material to repair the ACL instead of ripping apart another body part to do it.

I'd be shocked if an NFL player doesn't try it in the next year or so, especially relevant for college seniors with no chance at a red shirt and older players who can't afford the 9 months out.

You heard it here first when it happens ;). I just wish I'd had the extra 5 grand so I could have had it done when I blew out my knee earlier this year, instead I'm up for 9 months rehab... yay!

Also... the ACL itself isn't the "painful" part, walking off after a knee injury is very rarely a good sign, I came back and trained 3 times on mine before hurting it again and getting it checked properly. The ACL doesn't hurt at all basically, its the ligaments on the side(MCL, PCL and LCL) that hurt like hell if you tear them but are also the minor ones that take far less time to heal.

Props to BK on the sig!

Last edited by wogitalia : 08-03-2010 at 10:57 PM.
wogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote