Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:52 PM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I know they've made serious strides in treating these damn injuries over the past 10-15 years, but I wish they could somehow magically cut them down to a 2 months out. Speed up the rehab process.
It's amazing that LARS technology is not being used in the NFL and NBA yet. We have been using it over here in the AFL(Aussie Rules) for 3 years now, cuts the duration of an ACL from 9 months to 3 months. It is revolutionary and has not been tested over sustained periods but so far all the guys who have used it in the AFL have had no issues with it.

Basically the majority of the recovery on a traditional knee reconstruction is actually the hamstring or patella tendon that is used to reconstruct the ACL(depending on the type of surgery depends on which one) the ACL itself is fairly good after a couple of months. LARS uses a synthetic material to repair the ACL instead of ripping apart another body part to do it.

I'd be shocked if an NFL player doesn't try it in the next year or so, especially relevant for college seniors with no chance at a red shirt and older players who can't afford the 9 months out.

You heard it here first when it happens ;). I just wish I'd had the extra 5 grand so I could have had it done when I blew out my knee earlier this year, instead I'm up for 9 months rehab... yay!

Also... the ACL itself isn't the "painful" part, walking off after a knee injury is very rarely a good sign, I came back and trained 3 times on mine before hurting it again and getting it checked properly. The ACL doesn't hurt at all basically, its the ligaments on the side(MCL, PCL and LCL) that hurt like hell if you tear them but are also the minor ones that take far less time to heal.

Props to BK on the sig!

Last edited by wogitalia : 08-03-2010 at 09:57 PM.
wogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:18 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wogitalia View Post
You heard it here first when it happens ;). I just wish I'd had the extra 5 grand so I could have had it done when I blew out my knee earlier this year, instead I'm up for 9 months rehab... yay!
I dislocated my knee cap playing ultimate frisbee in March and there was no way I was walking on it after. My knee was just plain dead....not really that painful, didn't hurt much more than a sprain or something like that, but it just couldn't support any weight or bend without help.

Was really scared it was an ACL for a while....the first 3 doctors (ER, family doc who I needed a referral from and ortho surgeon I was referred to) were all pretty sure it was, but after I finally got an MRI with a sports medicine doctor (this is like 2 weeks later...) it was just the knee cap.

******* knee injuries....I think only something involving the spine or internal organs is worse.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:22 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ultimate frisbee is awesome that is all...
Old 08-03-2010, 10:26 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/traini...ory?id=5433972

First Greenway breaks his leg before his rookie season, now Edds tears his ACL before his rookie season. Sad panda. :(

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:28 PM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
******* knee injuries....I think only something involving the spine or internal organs is worse.
Deafness/Blindness would also trump them for sure in my book, not to mention brain damage, which I guess is internal organs.

Could totally see how a knee cap would do it, I was basically hoping for that, once you hear the "pop" there are really only two options and knee cap is just an amazing option compared to ACL...

Props to BK on the sig!
Old 08-03-2010, 10:28 PM    (permalink
Timbathia
Veteran

Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Also... the ACL itself isn't the "painful" part, walking off after a knee injury is very rarely a good sign, I came back and trained 3 times on mine before hurting it again and getting it checked properly.
Yeah, been there and done that. Mine kept buckling out form under me every time I tried to run - didnt really hurt though. IF there is a God, he absolutely sucks at designing things.
Timbathia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:35 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbathia View Post
Yeah, been there and done that. Mine kept buckling out form under me every time I tried to run - didnt really hurt though. IF there is a God, he absolutely sucks at designing things.
That is just entirely untrue

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Bengals78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:41 PM    (permalink
bam bam
Veteran

bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals78 View Post
That is just entirely untrue

not that great
bam bam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:42 PM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

Quote:
First Greenway breaks his leg before his rookie season, now Edds tears his ACL before his rookie season. Sad panda. :(
Iowa is to LBs what Duke is to NBAers?

Props to BK on the sig!
Old 08-03-2010, 10:42 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bam bam View Post
not that great
Can't tell if serious.....

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Old 08-03-2010, 10:44 PM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

He may have designed that... unfortunately he also designed the little rat featured man that she is with and thus destroyed what could have been.

He also designed that bikini that is covering her ;)

Props to BK on the sig!
Old 08-03-2010, 10:45 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Quote:
He may have designed that... unfortunately he also designed the little rat featured man that she is with and thus destroyed what could have been.

He also designed that bikini that is covering her ;)

Better?

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Old 08-03-2010, 11:12 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Deafness/Blindness would also trump them for sure in my book, not to mention brain damage, which I guess is internal organs.

Could totally see how a knee cap would do it, I was basically hoping for that, once you hear the "pop" there are really only two options and knee cap is just an amazing option compared to ACL...
Ok, deaf/blindness yeah....my mind was more in things that can happen in a sports related activity.

Regardless, knee injuries suck really really really bad. I hope some new way to treat them speeds it up, because the current methods really do all suck and take forever.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:15 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
holy ****, i wasn't the only one. people look at me like i'm crazy when i tell them i knocked both of my knee caps out of place in high school.
At once? Cause that would be terrible if they were anything like mine. You'd be in a wheel chair for a while....
Old 08-03-2010, 11:16 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

In one play as a junior, I dislocated my knee cap and sprained my ankle bad.

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Old 08-03-2010, 11:19 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbathia View Post
IF there is a God, he absolutely sucks at designing things.
Dude, that's not true.
If you don't do anything crazy, you're 99% most likely not going to tear an ACL.
Look at some of the tackles, hits the knee takes. The tackling, bending a guy over backwards, etc.
We can't have legs like flamingo's.

I think the design is pretty rock-solid. You can walk upright right?
You can't design a leg to absorb some of the things that football creates.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:21 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
I think the design is pretty rock-solid. You can walk upright right?
I can't speak for others, but when I hurt mine, no one was anywhere near me...I was throwing a flick leaning way out to my right and my left knee just popped and gave...

Knees kinda suck with all the things they're asked to do nowadays.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:27 AM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I can't speak for others, but when I hurt mine, no one was anywhere near me...I was throwing a flick leaning way out to my right and my left knee just popped and gave...
And I... faked going right, went to come back left and my knee just kept going right whilst the rest went left, just buckled and collapsed on me. Wasn't anywhere near as painful as the next few days though with it swollen as all hell trying to walk around.

Props to BK on the sig!
Old 08-04-2010, 12:54 AM    (permalink
Timbathia
Veteran

Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
The dude is supposed to be all knowing - if I was that all knowing then I could sure design a knee that wouldnt have 4 ligaments with a high tendency to tear or rupture when loaded. I would also make the meniscus outta something that didnt tear or wear away so easily (so that I didnt have arthritis).

and for every pic of a decent looking girl that y'all can come up with, I can produce pics of a hundred girls that he completely messed up.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:09 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
did yours get fixed? my right knee cap is still 'free-floating' though i've spent a lot of time building up the stabilizer muscles to keep it where it's supposed to be.
My cap popped back into place, and is pretty much back to normal now. I do have a bone chip in there that it took with it when it popped out. Was told by the one doctor that if it bothered me, I'd have to have it removed but it doesn't now. It's pretty stable, it just gets sore if I really exert it. It still doesn't like going down stairs, it gets a little wobbly then. I'm hoping that with some more time, that'll go away too.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:44 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...hargers-butler

Quote:
San Diego Chargers rookie linebacker Donald Butler will miss the entire season after sustaining an Achilles’ tendon injury.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:19 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Also... the ACL itself isn't the "painful" part, walking off after a knee injury is very rarely a good sign, I came back and trained 3 times on mine before hurting it again and getting it checked properly. The ACL doesn't hurt at all basically, its the ligaments on the side(MCL, PCL and LCL) that hurt like hell if you tear them but are also the minor ones that take far less time to heal.
I can only imagine it depends on severity. I tore my ACL and meniscus cartilage a few years ago and after about 3 seconds, it hurt so bad that I crawled 7 yards with only my finger tips. The pain subsided but I was unable to put ANY weight on it whatsoever for several days.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:37 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
I can only imagine it depends on severity. I tore my ACL and meniscus cartilage a few years ago and after about 3 seconds, it hurt so bad that I crawled 7 yards with only my finger tips. The pain subsided but I was unable to put ANY weight on it whatsoever for several days.
I've heard both sides. I've heard that if your ACL goes, you'll feel like you got shot in the knee and I've heard that some people think it's just a sprain and go a long time before finding out it's torn.

I didn't think mine was an ACL right after it happened since it didn't hurt too too badly. I've seen pro football players writhing on the ground in agony when theirs goes, so mine must not be torn. (Turned out to be right) It just depends a lot on the person and how it's torn I guess.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:45 PM    (permalink
Job
Pro Bowler

Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That goes for most injuries. I broke both of my collarbones, both times while playing hockey. First time I finished my game and waited 3 days before finally going to the hospital because the shoulder was bothering me. Second time I hard a hard time even standing up.
Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:18 PM    (permalink
Timbathia
Veteran

Oh ****, Doom has just left practice holding his arm closely to his chest, and the word is that McDaniels did not react well when the trainer came out onto the field to update him.

Holding my breath..........