Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 09-21-2010, 09:45 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

...so um... I didn't even want to think ahead, but I just did. Wanted to find out who we're playing on Sunday. Goodness gracious... we're only playing the hottest team in the NFL right now in their home...

Prediction: Houston Texans 35, Dallas Cowboys 16
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:05 PM    (permalink
clover_jeez
DiG's Master
Veteran

clover_jeez is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.clover_jeez is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.clover_jeez is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.clover_jeez is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.clover_jeez is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.clover_jeez is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.clover_jeez is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.clover_jeez is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.clover_jeez is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.clover_jeez is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.clover_jeez is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wrong

Cowboys 31 Texans 14

clover_jeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:25 PM    (permalink
Gribble
Pro Bowler

Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herniateddisc View Post
You really are a treat.
And fact is YES I RATHER BE A MIAMI FAN RIGHT NOW THAN A COWBOYS FAN. MIAMI IS MOVING FORWARD, not sideways.
It finally happened!!!
Old 09-21-2010, 10:44 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano View Post
Does any of you think that Sam Young can have the same success of Doug Free but on the right side?
I think he could...he played with the 2nd team offense most of TC...just something to note. I still think if we can find better we don't wait on him tho...6th round isn't a big investment..but I do think he has the ability to be a player in the future.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:50 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jason Garrett has been called out by Jerry on multiple occasions in the past 12 months...future head coach...ya right. The only way you get him the reigns is if he can bring veteran coordinators with him...but he can't. His ties are all employed.

Now if we are talking 3 years ago we have Cam Cameron and Dom Capers...geez that makes me sick everytime I see that...now that is a coaching staff that can adjust and change throughout a game....damn that sucks to see.

Anyways...Fisher would easily be my #1 choice...I remember talking about him 2 years ago if Wade was fired. I'd rather keep Wade and get rid of Garrett but thats just a pipe dream also.

Lastly I think it's interesting to note that if Jason Garrett was in fact to get the HC job...I'm pretty sure as MOTH has said in the past OC gig would likely go to his brother John. Now doesn't that sound awful...not only losing Wade who is the best part of this coaching staff but get a playcaller who has never done it in the NFL...that would be the dumbest decision this team could make. Jerry is called stupid...but he sure isn't that stupid.

And lastly...D you've been in the sun too long if you think there is anyway in the world that a head coach from a team would take a demotion and stay with the team. What kind of respect does a coach who gets demoted have...I can't recall a single time this has ever happened and it won't happen here.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 09-21-2010, 11:38 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah...John would get that job, more than likely. But I get the feeling that Jason would still call the plays. And that's just not acceptable. But really, Jason doesnt deserve to be handed the reigns at all.

Anyway...I fully expect Schaub to carve us up. He always looks good against us, granted we see him in preseason, but we never look good against this guy. That said, I want to think we're going to win it. The offense will be righted eventually...Garrett is a moron, but they are still too talented for him to keep them down all season. Hell, go no huddle if need be...we do better when Romo is calling them on the fly, anyway. That wont happen, but yeah. I expect the secondary to get beat down a bit...but I want to think we'll win it. That's the best I can do, I cant in good faith, guarantee a win. haha. :(

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:44 PM    (permalink
Morton
Veteran

Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton

Question: IF the Cowboys were to lose to the Texans this week, would Wade Phillips still have a job after the bye week or would he be dusting off his resume and pounding the pavement?
Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:48 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He wont get fired during the season.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:55 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
Jason Garrett has been called out by Jerry on multiple occasions in the past 12 months...future head coach...ya right. The only way you get him the reigns is if he can bring veteran coordinators with him...but he can't. His ties are all employed.

Now if we are talking 3 years ago we have Cam Cameron and Dom Capers...geez that makes me sick everytime I see that...now that is a coaching staff that can adjust and change throughout a game....damn that sucks to see.

Anyways...Fisher would easily be my #1 choice...I remember talking about him 2 years ago if Wade was fired. I'd rather keep Wade and get rid of Garrett but thats just a pipe dream also.

Lastly I think it's interesting to note that if Jason Garrett was in fact to get the HC job...I'm pretty sure as MOTH has said in the past OC gig would likely go to his brother John. Now doesn't that sound awful...not only losing Wade who is the best part of this coaching staff but get a playcaller who has never done it in the NFL...that would be the dumbest decision this team could make. Jerry is called stupid...but he sure isn't that stupid.

And lastly...D you've been in the sun too long if you think there is anyway in the world that a head coach from a team would take a demotion and stay with the team. What kind of respect does a coach who gets demoted have...I can't recall a single time this has ever happened and it won't happen here.
Eh... history doesn't predict the future. Wade was told to be DC by Jerry. When has that happened that an owner would tell the HC that he can't hire a DC and that he must be it?

...and it's only a hope that Wade would stay on as DC, not a prediction. IMO, it would be a smart move if the new HC would agree. Wade has no ego that would get in the way, imo. ...and I think he is one of the top defensive playcallers in the game. This team just needs better leadership at the HC position.

Wade as DC isn't the problem. Our defense is solid. Garrett is failing the team. I hope to hell that he is fired. I only said he would be HC in a really sarcastic way... . He disgusts me.

I think he would be fired before Wade.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:56 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
He wont get fired during the season.
...I wish Garrett would.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:13 AM    (permalink
herniateddisc
Veteran

herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
It finally happened!!!
Another person with poor reading comprehension.
herniateddisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:41 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Just a random thought.

We don't create turnovers and that is why our offense has so many yards.

So the Garrett argument is no turnovers is causing the yards to outweigh the points. Atleast that is what analysts are saying.

The reason I bring this up is think about this for a second. Wade has an elite defense. Everyone in the NFL knows this. We have drafted 2 corners that Wade hand picked in Jenkins and Scandrick..both similar builds...similar speeds...and similar techniques. They are man to man corners. Sensabaugh is also hand picked and has some ties to DeCamalis but is a pure man to man guy imo. Ball also is almost a carbon copy of Jenkins and Scandrick although he isn't quite that caliber.

No matter what you want to say about the front 7 you can't say this. What is the one thing we all know about the front 7 for the dallas cowboys...it's that we can generate pressure...we have been atop the league since Wade has came here and everyone and their mom's know it.

My point is this team doesn't get run on and we play heavy man schemes. What does this mean...teams throw quick on us. Atleast early until the game finds a rhythm and this usually happens when teams get the lead against the cowboys and we are losing TOP...we tend to look worn down at games...probably because we don't rotate our players hardly at all. Our starters nearly play 60 plays every single game...and we are worn down in the 4th quarter. I bring this up for one reason.

How does a team create turnovers when the opposition knows it's going to get killed dropping back. Lets face it not being able to run the ball forces teams to be one deminsional...3 and outs give the cowboys a huge advantage. You have to throw the ball to open up running lanes against the cowboys.

Lets flash back 2 years ago...how many times do you recall being pissed off for our corners giving 10 yard cushions to the WRs...Anthony Henry getting quick slants thrown on him over and over again and we couldn't stop it.

Flash forward to now and we play a ton of press unless it's 3rd and long. Which think for a minute...how many times have we seen our corners playing 8 yards off the ball on 3rd and long...why is this? Because we want the corners to have their eyes on the ball and force turnovers.

Point is teams know this...we aren't going to create a high number of INT's. Teams know us and it's what we have to live with. We have a ton of forced fumbles I'm not sure of the numbers but I'd easily say we are top 5 in the league in forced. Punts and Missed field goals are also turnovers.

This defense is very close to being elite...and this might not be the best time for this post because Cutler just carved them up a bit...but that was 2 blown coverages over the course of a game. That has been the exception not the rule with Wade here...we don't notoriously give up big plays.

We need to drive the ball. I was reading blogs today...do you realize that in 08 and 09 our 1st down run/pass split was about 50/50. What is it in 10...30/70. Also over at btb this offseason they posted about how our offense is a big play offense. We aren't a drive on you offense we just don't do it...mostly because of penalties and sacks. You just can't overcome those in the NFL.

So we have a bend but don't break defense coupled with a boom or bust offense. See the problem? Someone send this to Jerry please...because if we have a coordinator that can establish 3-4 drives a game consistently we might still go 13-3 this season.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 09-22-2010, 01:51 AM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

Quote:
Just a random thought.

We don't create turnovers and that is why our offense has so many yards.

So the Garrett argument is no turnovers is causing the yards to outweigh the points. Atleast that is what analysts are saying.

The reason I bring this up is think about this for a second. Wade has an elite defense. Everyone in the NFL knows this. We have drafted 2 corners that Wade hand picked in Jenkins and Scandrick..both similar builds...similar speeds...and similar techniques. They are man to man corners. Sensabaugh is also hand picked and has some ties to DeCamalis but is a pure man to man guy imo. Ball also is almost a carbon copy of Jenkins and Scandrick although he isn't quite that caliber.

No matter what you want to say about the front 7 you can't say this. What is the one thing we all know about the front 7 for the dallas cowboys...it's that we can generate pressure...we have been atop the league since Wade has came here and everyone and their mom's know it.

My point is this team doesn't get run on and we play heavy man schemes. What does this mean...teams throw quick on us. Atleast early until the game finds a rhythm and this usually happens when teams get the lead against the cowboys and we are losing TOP...we tend to look worn down at games...probably because we don't rotate our players hardly at all. Our starters nearly play 60 plays every single game...and we are worn down in the 4th quarter. I bring this up for one reason.

How does a team create turnovers when the opposition knows it's going to get killed dropping back. Lets face it not being able to run the ball forces teams to be one deminsional...3 and outs give the cowboys a huge advantage. You have to throw the ball to open up running lanes against the cowboys.

Lets flash back 2 years ago...how many times do you recall being pissed off for our corners giving 10 yard cushions to the WRs...Anthony Henry getting quick slants thrown on him over and over again and we couldn't stop it.

Flash forward to now and we play a ton of press unless it's 3rd and long. Which think for a minute...how many times have we seen our corners playing 8 yards off the ball on 3rd and long...why is this? Because we want the corners to have their eyes on the ball and force turnovers.

Point is teams know this...we aren't going to create a high number of INT's. Teams know us and it's what we have to live with. We have a ton of forced fumbles I'm not sure of the numbers but I'd easily say we are top 5 in the league in forced. Punts and Missed field goals are also turnovers.

This defense is very close to being elite...and this might not be the best time for this post because Cutler just carved them up a bit...but that was 2 blown coverages over the course of a game. That has been the exception not the rule with Wade here...we don't notoriously give up big plays.

We need to drive the ball. I was reading blogs today...do you realize that in 08 and 09 our 1st down run/pass split was about 50/50. What is it in 10...30/70. Also over at btb this offseason they posted about how our offense is a big play offense. We aren't a drive on you offense we just don't do it...mostly because of penalties and sacks. You just can't overcome those in the NFL.

So we have a bend but don't break defense coupled with a boom or bust offense. See the problem? Someone send this to Jerry please...because if we have a coordinator that can establish 3-4 drives a game consistently we might still go 13-3 this season.
That was a quality post Thule, and I will +rep you for it.

I saw on NFL.com today, we are 4th in the league with 395 yards, and 26th in scoring. I just makes me so angry.

But to sort of counter your point thule.. how much of it is just luck? Both of those D.J. Moore interceptions... my grandma could've caught of the bounce. The Saints last night.... like are you kidding me? It's the luckiest garbage i've ever seen. And for some reason it doesn't happen for us.

That muffed punt by the 49ers with like 2 minutes left in the game...? That doesn't happen and the niners win.

But hey... I'd rather have our luck bad now than in December... if we last that long.
xxxxxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:49 AM    (permalink
Modano
Veteran

Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I agree, thule.

Consider also that the Bear's fourth quarter TD happened because Jenkins slipped. And that was also after Buehler missed FG which put the team morale down.

Our offense must get on a rhythm in order to be succesfull and Garret has not been able to do that in the first two games and when he was, penalties came to destroy our timing.

I have no solid basis to say this but I think we'll beat the Texans. I think they will be a little overconfident considering our situation and the preseason game. But Wade will bring the heat on Schaub this time and I expect a couple of strip sacks from our passrush.

At the end of the day the Texans allowed a ton of points to an offense that looked very poor against us.

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU
Modano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:28 AM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just listened to Brian Broadus discuss his film work on the game.

Once again, the safety play was awful. This has been an ongoing theme for years now. We have to get better at safety. It has become quite clear in today's NFL that the defenses that are special all have dynamic playmakers at safety.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:00 PM    (permalink
herniateddisc
Veteran

herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
......It has become quite clear in today's NFL that the defenses that are special all have dynamic playmakers at safety.
Pretty sure I said this in 2006 lamenting the death of dinosaur's like Roy Williams.
herniateddisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:28 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Pretty sure I said this in 2006 lamenting the death of dinosaur's like Roy Williams.
Who didn't tho is the real question.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 09-23-2010, 12:57 AM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

The redskins are always a tough out but I don't really consider them a factor, the eagles are pretenders, and the giants seem to be imploding.... so if we right this ship I don't see why we still can't walk away with the east..
xxxxxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:34 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Who didn't tho is the real question.
I won't deny it. I liked Roy Williams and I took on a little challenge... to take on the weak side of that debate and I tried to bring points to the table for the hell of it to spin it to where I could convince others that Roy wasn't the main reason for our bad defense.

I had fun. I like doing stuff like that. I like being bold.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:11 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I remember. You were right on everything since being here and wrong on nothing, thanks for always reminding us though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:43 AM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I have stated over and over again that Gurode is a mediocre Center b/c he can not make line calls on the fly.

I always thought Gurode was a Guard.
Yes he was, then he was converted to center.

Quote:
Simply acquire a Center... and trade Davis, then Bam. We're there.

We need to be looking for Centers in next year's draft. Gurode is a terrible pass protector and has major inadequacies in analyzing the defense and calling the line plays anyways.
We've had this discussion before but it's relevant now, I think Gurode needs replacing simply b/c he's too old, too beat up -- they should draft a pure center from college. There are more benefits to that than converting an OG like most pro teams do. You need youth there in any case b/c NFL centers take a lot of beating over the long haul of 16 games a yr, most veteran centers have had surgery on one or both hands, ankles, &/or their teeth reconstructed. Centers have yrs. taken off their careers by the constant pounding of an NFL season.

BTW if they want to depart from the converted OG at center philosophy the top 2 ranked centers in next yr's draft are both srs. from the Pac 10, Kris O'Dowd from USC (6-5, 300) & Colin Baxter, Arizona, (6-4, 295), either s/b available after the 3rd rd. -- again, it's time to address safety & other more pressing personnel issues in earlier rds.

I think they need a Leonard Davis type with his Incredible Hulklike body on the OL, he's a road grader like I said & an excellent run blocker. With the recent emphasis in the NFL on the designated pass rusher DE/OLB more than any other defensive position -- more of them lately in the 1st rd. than any other -- you want that massive body as a wall to force those quick rushers to somehow get around it, not over it, to the QB. Elite blindside protectors like Joe Thomas & D'Brickashaw Ferguson are once in a decade players & you have to be perennially ultrabad sucking team consistently drafting in the top 3, or have a lot of players & picks to pkg. together as draft day trade up ammunition to move into a position to draft one & I don't think Dallas is either of those. A massive, experienced OT is an acceptable substitute IMO & Davis fits the bill.

Having said all that I realize they were under a lot of media pressure in Texas to finally put some Longhorns on the Dallas roster in the last few yrs, & Davis played at Texas. The experience he gained while helping to elevate Zona to an elite NFL team that made the Big Show is the best aspect that he brought to the table by returning to his native state. Then again Roy Williams played at Texas too & they brought him from another NFL team didn't they? How is Royboy working out, LOL......
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:59 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardState View Post
Having said all that I realize they were under a lot of media pressure in Texas to finally put some Longhorns on the Dallas roster in the last few yrs, & Davis played at Texas. The experience he gained while helping to elevate Zona to an elite NFL team that made the Big Show is the best aspect that he brought to the table by returning to his native state. Then again Roy Williams played at Texas too & they brought him from another NFL team didn't they? How is Royboy working out, LOL......
Where do you get this from? And I wish people would stop acting like you can tell how good or bad a guy will be depending on what school he's from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:09 AM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think if things continue the way they are, we will cut Davis. He has been really bad.

I think if we could land a good pure center in the draft (lizard dont' forget about wisniewski), we could move Gurode to G for one maybe two seasons as a stop gap. Having said that, I think we should still look for a bad MFer in the draft at G. I think we almost have to address C and G. I'm just saying that if we aren't able to land a guard, Gurode could fill in for a year or two. Not to mention, that I think Kosier is in his last year?

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:01 PM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Where do you get this from? And I wish people would stop acting like you can tell how good or bad a guy will be depending on what school he's from.
You can't tell how good a player is or is not from where they played but you can't ignore the overlap from certain college programs to pro teams with all the coaches & assts. moving from there to the NFL or back like Saban, Carroll, Weis, etc. & that they favor players & assts. they know from college.

B/C the Texas sports media treats the Horns program like the Old Testament treats Moses, iconic, Godlike, & infallible, & so they have real problems when their FB coach does an epic fail. I lived in Austin when overrated Freddie "Acres of Cotton" Akers did just that in '84 & saw the massive widespread embarrassment.

TAMU & Texas Tech complain b/c the Horns games always gets massive front pg. coverage while their games are covered below the fold or page 2 or 3. I can't speak for all Texas pprs. but that was the case when I read the San Antonio Express News when I worked there in the 70s as a grad student, the Austin American Statesman of course, & the Ft. Worth Star Telegram.

I read in the FWST in the late 80s, true or not, that there weren't many Horns on the roster of the Cowboys & they opined that Texas alum Tom Landry didn't like them. Maybe it was b/c during the 70s-80s the Eagles & Giants were full of Texas players & the media thought Dallas should draft more of the homegrown talent.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:07 PM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

Quote:
I think if we could land a good pure center in the draft (lizard dont' forget about wisniewski), we could move Gurode to G for one maybe two seasons as a stop gap.
He's listed as the #1-ranked OG in my college FB preseason mag not a pure center. BTW why isn't he playing at PSU this yr? Injury? Will he go in the supplemental draft?