Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Philadelphia Eagles Team Forum

Philadelphia Eagles Team Forum Discuss the Eagles.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:33 PM    (permalink
Todd Bertuzzi
All-Pro

Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Week 4: Washington Redskins at Philadelphia Eagles

Discuss! ........
Old 09-27-2010, 03:44 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think this is a matchup between 2 mediocre teams. The Eagles have issues pass blocking and getting good continuity from their offense. They also struggle getting pressure without the blitz and covering/tackling. The special teams tackling and execution for the most part has been subpar.

The Redskins cannot run the ball right now, and they basically got away from their style of play against the Rams. They have poor personnel on hand to run the 3-4 defense, and they have issues stopping the run at times. There are lots of gaps to exploit there. They do have McNabb and Moss and Cooley, who I expect to go up and down the field on the Eagles D. McNabb knows what the Eagles like to do on both sides of the ball, so he should be able to manipulate things to his advantage.

I think both defenses will have trouble stopping both offenses. In the end, I have to give the edge to the Eagles because they are playing better, can run the ball if they choose to, and have the better offensive weapons. Advantage also to Reid/McDermott, who know how to make McNabb uncomfortable. If I were betting this game, I'd prob ignore the money line and spread and go with the over.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

bsaza2358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:55 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is a damn exciting game, even for a Philly/Washington hater like me. I'm so intrigued. How will Donovan be received? Will he make the Eagles regret their decision? Are the Eagles legit or have they just looked good beating up on bad teams? Who are the Redskins? They look like a different team every week!

All I know is this... the division is WIIIIIIIIDE open. This game will have repurcussions down the line.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:29 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldn’t call this an exciting game as much as an intriguing game. There are angles that exist outside the game itself that make it more interesting than the matchups. The mentor vs pupil angle is big, McNabb’s return to Philly + his spite factor, the fan reaction, etc. It is the first division game for the Eagles and a home tilt at that. The Eagles need this game to prove that they’re not just beating up on bad teams. They cannot afford to waste the momentum built after road wins. The Redskins need this game for a 2-0 division record and to stop the bleeding after 2 bad losses.

However, I wouldn’t classify either team as good. Both offensive lines are leaky, both QB’s can put it in the air and make plays. Both defenses will bring pressure. Both secondaries could be considered suspect. Neither running game will scare you. Both teams have a high quality pass catching TE. Both teams have famous coaches whose recent track record just hasn’t been up to par.

As I said above, I have to give the Eagles the edge due to home crowd, Reid knowing how to exploit McNabb, the Vick X-factor, the Eagles running game edge (if they choose to run), and the twin WR threats of Maclin and Jackson. Even though I think the Eagles will win, I’m not counting the Redskins out. Cooley can torch the Eagles, and I anticipate Santana Moss getting loose when Asante Samuel bites on a McNabb pump. I also expect Vick to throw at least 1 INT because the Skins are good enough to force one.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Old 09-27-2010, 04:32 PM    (permalink
Werowance
Rookie

Werowance is a cocksman.Werowance is a cocksman.Werowance is a cocksman.Werowance is a cocksman.Werowance is a cocksman.

I'm not so sure this team is mediocre, with Vick this team is essentially 3-0. The Eagles beat the Packers in that second half with Vick in, there is no question about that and if you deny that I point you to the boxscore where the Eagles outscored the Packers 14-10 and outgained them in yards by a wide margin (I think, I can't find the stats but I'm almost 100% sure they had a lot more yards).

And this defense is so much better with Stewart Bradley, with Stewart Bradley the Eagles have only let up 16 points in 6 quarters of play and they only allowed 358 yards on 107 plays, an average of 3.3 yards a play.

Is this team a mediocre team with Vick and Bradley or is this team a contender? I think we're going to find out in the next 2-3 weeks.
Werowance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:42 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werowance View Post
I'm not so sure this team is mediocre, with Vick this team is essentially 3-0. The Eagles beat the Packers in that second half with Vick in, there is no question about that and if you deny that I point you to the boxscore where the Eagles outscored the Packers 14-10 and outgained them in yards by a wide margin (I think, I can't find the stats but I'm almost 100% sure they had a lot more yards).

And this defense is so much better with Stewart Bradley, with Stewart Bradley the Eagles have only let up 16 points in 6 quarters of play and they only allowed 358 yards on 107 plays, an average of 3.3 yards a play.

Is this team a mediocre team with Vick and Bradley or is this team a contender? I think we're going to find out in the next 2-3 weeks.
Essentially? Get over yourself! In the end, the Eagles are 2-1 with a 0-0 division record and a 1-1 conference record. The Eagles didn’t beat the Packers, and that’s what matters. The “essentially” 3-0 point is irrelevant and idiotic. Outplaying a team for a half means nothing. The Redskins outplayed the Texans for 3 quarters in Week 2 and lost in OT.

I concede the Stewart Bradley effect, but I don’t see him as a defensive saviour who is capable of singlehandedly winning games. He helps in coverage, he helps in the run game. He is a presence. Having him is an advantage for Philly. Will Bradley keep Asante Samuel from biting on double moves and going for an INT instead of playing lockdown coverage? No. Will Bradley keep Ellis Hobbs from dropping 2 INT’s? No. Will Bradley change the fact that The Eagles’ CB depth is potentially suspect? No. He is a help, but he does not make the Eagles less vulnerable to certain weaknesses (tackling from their CB’s, covering the TE and RB’s out of the backfield).

I think the Eagles are an average team right now because their line is incredibly suspect, and their defense is also inconsistent and exploitable. I would love to see them go out and destroy the Redskins. I live in the DC area, and the homerism and media coverage makes me hate the Skins more than I normally would. DC after a Skins loss is glorious… That being said, I will call a W over the Skins a quality win, but I won’t consider the Eagles above average unless they win by more than 14.

Old 09-27-2010, 04:55 PM    (permalink
Werowance
Rookie

Werowance is a cocksman.Werowance is a cocksman.Werowance is a cocksman.Werowance is a cocksman.Werowance is a cocksman.

With Vick as the QB the Eagles are playing as good as any team in the NFL, that much is true. Sure the wins came against the Lions and Jaguars but you take what you beat who is on the schedule, we're really going to see how good this team is when they face the Redskins, Titans and Falcons heading into the bye week. I'm saying that the Michael Vick led Eagles have won every single half of football they've been on the football field, in retrospect we could very easily make the claim that if the Eagles played Vick the whole game they could be 3-0.

And I say that Stewart Bradley has a HUGE effect on this defense, with Stewart Bradley starting in 2008 the Eagles had the top ranked defense in the NFC and with Stewart Bradley this season the Eagles have only allowed 3.3 yards a play. All of a sudden the Eagles get their best linebacker back whenever Stew is on the field, Bradley is the best run defending linebacker, he is the best blitzing linebacker, he is the best coverage linebacker, he is the most instinctive linebacker, he is the defensive enforcer, he is the defensive leader and communicator. He doesn't make Hobbs stop dropping INTs and he doesn't make Asante defend the run any better but he makes the entire defense so much better. I mean look at the stats, the Eagles shut down Ryan Grant and Maurice Jones-Drew with Stewart Bradley in the game but without Stewart Bradley they get the crap kicked out of them by Brandon Jackson and Jahvid Best.

And while I certainly will not contend that the line is playing well, the offensive line is playing adequately, a lot of those QB hits and sacks are from Michael Vick holding onto the ball and extending the play. Plus the line is run blocking very well and that is showing when LeSean McCoy is getting over 6 yards a carry and the Eagles are a top 10 running team despite being bottom ten in attempts. The line is playing adequately, not good, not great, not bad, not terribly, they're just adequate, mediocre and average.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:12 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werowance View Post
With Vick as the QB the Eagles are playing as good as any team in the NFL, that much is true. Sure the wins came against the Lions and Jaguars but you take what you beat who is on the schedule, we're really going to see how good this team is when they face the Redskins, Titans and Falcons heading into the bye week. I'm saying that the Michael Vick led Eagles have won every single half of football they've been on the football field, in retrospect we could very easily make the claim that if the Eagles played Vick the whole game they could be 3-0.

And I say that Stewart Bradley has a HUGE effect on this defense, with Stewart Bradley starting in 2008 the Eagles had the top ranked defense in the NFC and with Stewart Bradley this season the Eagles have only allowed 3.3 yards a play. All of a sudden the Eagles get their best linebacker back whenever Stew is on the field, Bradley is the best run defending linebacker, he is the best blitzing linebacker, he is the best coverage linebacker, he is the most instinctive linebacker, he is the defensive enforcer, he is the defensive leader and communicator. He doesn't make Hobbs stop dropping INTs and he doesn't make Asante defend the run any better but he makes the entire defense so much better. I mean look at the stats, the Eagles shut down Ryan Grant and Maurice Jones-Drew with Stewart Bradley in the game but without Stewart Bradley they get the crap kicked out of them by Brandon Jackson and Jahvid Best.

And while I certainly will not contend that the line is playing well, the offensive line is playing adequately, a lot of those QB hits and sacks are from Michael Vick holding onto the ball and extending the play. Plus the line is run blocking very well and that is showing when LeSean McCoy is getting over 6 yards a carry and the Eagles are a top 10 running team despite being bottom ten in attempts. The line is playing adequately, not good, not great, not bad, not terribly, they're just adequate, mediocre and average.
With Vick as a starter, the Eagles are 2-0. On the season, they are 2-1. That is all that matters. I won't give the GB second half much credence because GB was playing softer, bend/don't break D's to avoid giving up quick strike big plays in what was initially a blowout game. End of the day, the Eagles lost. I don't care about Vick's stats in that game. Team looked better with him at QB for sure, but they lost. A loss is a loss.

Bradley is a very good player and one of my favorite Eagles on this roster. However, I think you are making a little too much out of his impact on the game. Yes, he helps the run and pass D, but he is only 1 of 11 guys on the field. He helps, but in the end, the Eagles will still struggle to contain Cooley and the deep ball from McNabb to Moss/Galloway/Devin Thomas (if he gets on the field). McNabb is one of the best deep ball throwers in the league, and Samuel/Hobbs are not a lock to shut down those big plays. It has to be a concern.

As an Eagles fan since birth, I have seen good and bad offensive lines. This is easily the weakest OLine of the Andy Reid era. Vick is getting hit a lot, and not all of it is because he's holding the ball too much. The Redskins may not be a great team, but they bring pressure well, and Haslett is capable of sending safety blitzes at Vick from LaRon Landry, who has been a Pro Bowl caliber player so far this season. That dude can flat out ball, and he has the speed to chase down Vick. I am petrified for Vick because Landry is a head hunter and a vicious hitter. The line needs to continue to improve. This is also McGlynn's first action against a 3-4 D. It will be a tough assignment.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:52 PM    (permalink
Lord_Anubis
Rookie

Lord_Anubis is a cocksman.Lord_Anubis is a cocksman.Lord_Anubis is a cocksman.Lord_Anubis is a cocksman.Lord_Anubis is a cocksman.

im gona go w/ wero and say bradley makes a pretty big impact
he did a pretty good job on finley from what i saw
i think the biggest thing maybe is his leadership
bradley in = maybe top 5 D??
Lord_Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:57 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

There is no way the Eagles are a top 5 D when they are starting Ellis Hobbs at CB. If they had a stronger starter, and Hobbs was a role player, then I'd be more comfortable making that statement. In all fairness, Hobbs hasn't done too badly so far, but I can't justify that kind of ranking based on the Lions scoring so much.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:15 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Let me be clear. I'm a huge Eagles fan, and I love Bradley, but this team hasn't shown me enough yet for me to get all in excited about them. 2 road wins are nice, but let's see what happens the next few weeks before we start annointing them...

Old 09-28-2010, 11:27 AM    (permalink
Todd Bertuzzi
All-Pro

Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, the Eagles aren't a top team yet. As it is we'll be hard pressed to make the playoffs. Like bsaza said, our o-line is terrible and even with Vick's mobility it's still getting exploited. On defense, I'd still like to see more from our pass rush and we need to shape up on run d. Our secondary has looked pretty good though outside of a few plays. Getting Bradley back helps, but it's not a top 5 d.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:42 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

If the Eagles are a top team, they will put the screws to the Redskins and win by at least 10 points. If they cannot do that at home, they cannot be considered a team on the rise. Winning close games against a team that is decently talented, but flawed is not what good teams do.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:55 PM    (permalink
Werowance
Rookie

Oh and I do think the Eagles are going to beat the Redskins handily, the Redskins have the worst defense in football at this point and the Eagles offense is efficient and lethal. Plus how is their offense going to threaten us? They have one of the worst run offenses in the NFL and we could easily sell out to stop the pass against the Redskins especially with the defensive line playing as well as it is right now.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:44 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

The Redskins are more dangerous than you think at this point. They are a veteran team that is desperate for a win. You know what McNabb is capable of when he's "on". They have a TE who can torch the Eagles LB's and safeties. Santana Moss is capable of tearing up the secondary. The run game might not be great, but the Skins will try to establish it more. They had a nice YPC average against the Rams. The Eagles can't ignore that.

I don't think the Eagles will take the Skins for granted, but I think Were is underselling the Skins in terms of quality opponent. They are better than Detroit (lost by 3) and Jacksonville. The have a lot of talent in the coaching ranks. They have players on defense like Landry and Kareem Moore and Orakpo that scare me for Vick's safety.

At the same time, they have pieces that can be exploited. Andre Carter at OLB is a disaster. Orakpo can be crushed via screen passes. Hall and Rodgers at CB will have a tough time with Jackson and Maclin. I expect the Eagles to win, but I'm not so confident that it will be a cakewalk.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:54 AM    (permalink
Todd Bertuzzi
All-Pro

Does McNabb get an ovation or does he get booed? I'm leaning towards the latter, although I hope he gets a nice ovation.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:20 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

I think it will be about 65/35 cheers before the game. During the game, it will be all boos. After the game, it will probably be 85/15 cheers.