Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 09-24-2010, 04:45 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
player salaries have *nothing* to do with how much watching/caring about football costs. if the players weren't making the money, the owners would be. but the rise in cost is explained by pretty basic economics.
Payroll (player salaries) is a big component to overall team finances.
Baseball's salary discrepancy is your evidence for that.

Now, our authentic jerseys just didn't go up for no reason. There's certainly some correlation with salaries.

Cotton prices and overseas cheap labor costs have not gone up at the same % as jersey prices have, in fact all these overseas knock-off jersey sites we all have seen are further proof of this. They manufacture the same exact (almost) thing as the real one that gets the "officially licensed" stamp from the NFL and NFLPA.

The difference in quality between an overseas fake authentic jersey is often unnoticeable compared to a real one, but the retail price point is about 500% more for the one with the real NFL license. Not a little more, not double, but about 4 or 5 times the cost, despite the same components.

In fact, those fake "real ones" that are high in quality, can be bought cheaper than on NFLproshop.com charges for the crappy silk-screened replica jerseys. Why? Who needs their cut? Everyone does, including the NFLPA.

I've dealt with NFL (NCAA too, they're worse) licensing deals before and there are two sides always, and the fan is always on one side.

That's a little unrelated to VJ's holdout, but anything to keep any costs down for us fans, I am in favor of it, no questions asked.

The players say it's a business. Team's operate as a business. It seems only certain fans aren't aware that they too are part of that business.
J-Mike88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 05:42 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
it's cost vs. demand. how much can the nfl charge me, where i'm still willing to pay it. if i'm willing to pay $80 for a ticket, they're going to charge me $80, whether $20 of that or $40 of that goes to players.
Right, but let me translate that to the real world here.

Economists agree that the gap between rich & poor is continuing to widen, and the middle class is staying closer to the poor than the rich. That's fine, I don't care really.

But this is what it means pertaining to what you said:

If the corporate folks are willing to pay $800 for a ticket, then they're going to charge $800, and fewer percentage of folks are going to be able afford to take their families to games.

Seats are more vacant now then 5 years ago not because the NFL is worse, but because of economics.
Football is a business is economics. One way or another.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:56 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If you guys are talking about ticket prices can someone explain the PSL system(Jets) to me?

sig by BoneKrusher
Scotty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 07:19 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
yet the nfl ratings are higher than ever, which will turn into a better tv deal, which is, in reality, where teams actually make their money.
The reason NFL ratings are higher than ever is because only games with a certain degree of suggested interested (indicated by a sold out stadium) are allowed to be broadcast. It's the NFL's way of making sure their ratings stay ridiculously high so they can continue to charge more than any other American entertainment industry for television rights.

I don't think it's particularly good policy, mostly because I don't really think that stadium attendance and television ratings go hand in hand very well. I only feel willing to dish out the money for a game when I feel happy with my team. I always watch them when I am able though. I think a lot of fans are the same. Eventually, one would have to imagine that television companies will start demanding the ability to choose which games to broadcast themselves, because right now they are paying out their assholes to broadcast only some games.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:43 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Economics and flow charts aside, I like what Brother Jason (Whitlock) said about this:
Quote:
A.J. Smith, general manager of the San Diego Chargers, is starting to remind me of former Kansas City Chiefs general manager Carl Peterson, and that's not a good thing.

In the 1990s, Peterson developed a solid reputation while the Chiefs won a bunch of regular-season games but few postseason contests. Peterson acquired Marcus Allen and Joe Montana and drafted Derrick Thomas, Tony Gonzalez and Dale Carter.

Eventually, Peterson's ego ruined his relationship with Neil Smith, Jared Allen, John Tait and several other key players. Peterson never won a Super Bowl. He never won a playoff game after 1993.

A.J. Smith carries himself like he's Bill Polian, the best GM in football. Smith has scrapped publicly with LaDainian Tomlinson, Donnie Edwards and now Vincent Jackson. Have the Chargers won a Super Bowl during Smith's tenure? Maybe I missed that.

I don't know who is right in the Smith-Jackson standoff. Smith probably is. I'm just tired of Smith's name being in the paper. Other GMs seem to handle their business with less publicity.
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/B...-Truths-092310

I think Smith's name is only in the paper a lot because VJ and his agent spout off to the media whenever possible, and because other teams (sour grapes) like the Vikings are crying that they didn't get VJ.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:37 PM    (permalink
Xenos
Veteran

Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
Economics and flow charts aside, I like what Brother Jason (Whitlock) said about this:
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/B...-Truths-092310

I think Smith's name is only in the paper a lot because VJ and his agent spout off to the media whenever possible, and because other teams (sour grapes) like the Vikings are crying that they didn't get VJ.
That article doesn't make any sense. AJ is nothing like Peterson. If he was then he would have caved and given into VJ's demand back in June. And Whitlock loses all credibility when he brings up Donnie Edwards. That guy had to be one of the worst person I had ever had the misfortune of meeting. He deserved to have his contract run out.
Xenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 12:42 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://twitter.com/davidcanter/status/25516780743

McNeil has signed and reported to the team.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 09-25-2010, 12:54 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty D View Post
http://twitter.com/davidcanter/status/25516780743

McNeil has signed and reported to the team.
Long term or his one year tender?
Old 09-25-2010, 12:55 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat View Post
Long term or his one year tender?
His tender.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 09-25-2010, 01:45 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The PSL in the new Meadowlands Stadium doesn't guarantee you the right for the option to buy tickets to other events since there are 2 fanbases holding the same seat. The new PSL system in the stadium technically isn't even a PSL because of their double ownership.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 02:04 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dombrowski was playing too well, McNeill had to come in :D

If Dombo isn't our starting RT now something is very very wrong
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 02:12 PM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC

bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

hip hip hoorayy

bantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 02:37 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

McNeill loses 2.5 million by signing this tender instead of the 3+ mill one offered earlier...doesn't make sense. I would definitely suspect handshake long term deal. I would say there is still a shot at a trade but Marcus is saying the right things already, on board etc.

Plus side is this is probably a result of VJ negotiations getting one hit shotgunned down
Old 09-25-2010, 02:40 PM    (permalink
Chucky
All-NFLDC

Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC.SD View Post
McNeill loses 2.5 million by signing this tender instead of the 3+ mill one offered earlier...doesn't make sense. I would definitely suspect handshake long term deal. I would say there is still a shot at a trade but Marcus is saying the right things already, on board etc.

Plus side is this is probably a result of VJ negotiations getting one hit shotgunned down
I would be shocked if a long term deal isnt announced in the next three weeks
Chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 04:18 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah I for one am very pissed at the Giants for the whole new stadium. They really outpriced a bog amount of their fanbase and the new stadium is worse than the old IMO. They lied about multiple things to the fans including, the PSL, the parking situation, the prices and many other things. Wellington Mara would roll over in his grave if he knew about the garbage that was going on here. My friend owns season tickets and I'm of the people that always goes so I pay also and I would have been more than happy to keep Giants Stadium.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:34 AM    (permalink
Xenos
Veteran

Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC.SD View Post
Dombrowski was playing too well, McNeill had to come in :D

If Dombo isn't our starting RT now something is very very wrong
It's actually an interesting dilemma. Dom is more natural as a LT than a RT. He also wasn't as good as Clary is on the right side when he replaced him last season.

Clary unfortunately has become the new whipping boy ala Jammer before 2007 when it comes to unfair criticism. He's a good solid player who was better at RT than McNeill was at LT last year. His main problem is those lone penalty he gets at the worst time.
Xenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:53 PM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler

San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jackson is really being missed in the red-zone. Two games out of three now, the Chargers couldn't convert critical late game red-zone situations into TD's. It seems unrealistic but I really want VJ back, DUI's and all.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:05 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego Chicken View Post
Jackson is really being missed in the red-zone. Two games out of three now, the Chargers couldn't convert critical late game red-zone situations into TD's. It seems unrealistic but I really want VJ back, DUI's and all.
yah but rivers did complete 4 straight passes to the end zone in the 4th quarter, between the td and conversion, both of which got called back and then repeated. it was sick, we missed McNeill more in that game with Dombrowski getting wrecked. It was the first time Dombo looked really bad but it was really, really bad.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:40 PM    (permalink
bolts2388
Rookie

bolts2388 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bolts2388 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bolts2388 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bolts2388 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bolts2388 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bolts2388 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bolts2388 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bolts2388 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bolts2388 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bolts2388 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bolts2388 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

"Sorry Vince Jackson" (song)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OrbLZVNBuA
Old 09-30-2010, 10:52 PM    (permalink
Bucs_Rule
Veteran

Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Can't Jackson sign for a low base next season and have tons of money guaranteed and a large base for the first few years afterward?
Bucs_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:15 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5683051

Jackson is returning Oct. 31 and Mankins on Nov. 16

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 10-14-2010, 07:59 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty D View Post
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5683051

Jackson is returning Oct. 31 and Mankins on Nov. 16
This is just to be eligible for free agency, right?

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:21 AM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
This is just to be eligible for free agency, right?
Yeah, pretty much. I hope Jackson doesn't figure into their gameplan too much going forward because I literally just traded for Floyd yesterday.

Hopefully someone just trades for him before the deadline.

Last edited by yourfavestoner : 10-14-2010 at 10:40 AM.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote