Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 10-21-2010, 09:22 PM    (permalink
Go Cowboys
Pro Bowler

Location: Springfield, OH: Most Depressing City in the Country. Look it up
Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
He just put up a pretty good arguement, D-Unit.

But i'll try to put this in simpler terms that we can all agree on... Jason Williams and just his pure skills would do more for this defense than the aging, to put it lightly, keith brooking. He is awful.

Eventually, Wade needs to man up, and stop playing brooking because of his veteran status. Williams will bring more to this defense, right now.
I guess what perplexes me is this.

Keith Brooking is coming off Surgery right? So he is supposed to be a step slower, right? No, I haven't seen him making the plays...But when Jason Williams has been out there (Mostly in Preseason), I didn't see it from him either, nor from Sean Lee. I personally think everyone is too hyped on Jason Williams and his "raw skills", Brooking is obviously getting old and everyone wants to say that when a Vet isn't as good as he was that it is because he is "Shot." I don't see this as the case.......

The reason that Brooking and even Marion Barber are looking "shot" is because of the Vanilla brand of football we play. I mean before you take a look at everyone else you have to look at yourself. How would you gameplan against us? That tells a story right there.

I would blitz the heck out of us because we don't have an O-Line that can stop it, gone are the days of Larry Allen and Flozell being able to anchor a side of the line. Ya, your going to get beat if you blitz us, but at the same time, Romo isn't that good in pressure situations....Look at his track record if you don't believe me...I would even put eight in the box most of the time and let the outside guys worry about the screens and swings that are sure to come every third or fourth play while being able to stop any form of a running game we try. (Look what teams do, pretty much blitz us, stop the swings and stack the box on downs where we tend to run more)

If I ran an offense against us I would attack our weak points....I would pass on us all day and night....We don't get enough pressure on a QB....Everyone pause for a moment and think about the Days of Jim Johnson and the Eagles against us, I remember being amazed at all of the exotic blitzes he ran... Then flash back to real time, our blitzes are comprised of Demarcus Ware or Anthony Spencer rushing and trying to beat a Tackle, sometimes we send both (The equivalent of a 1 man blitz in the 4-3, also the same number of guys that are blocking), every now and then we will send a middle backer or a safety but we are too afraid of getting beat deep. What we need from this defense to make EVERYONE, not just Brooking into a better player, is to Blitz early and often....Look what the Giants did to Jay Cutler and the Bears, I mean let's be honest here, we wouldn't have come close, we are playing a Vanilla Defense. (I don't care who your QB is, if you have all day in the Pocket to find an open guy, in zone or in man, your going to find him. If your a Running Back looking for a lane and no one is blitzing there is obviously going to be a gap betwen the center and either guard because well there is no down lineman there.)

Again my 2 cents feel free to refute

Thanks to bonekrusher for the sig
Go Cowboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:33 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

Nah, brooking sucks. Put Williams in.
xxxxxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:53 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Our scheme is not a vanilla scheme. Our defense may seem vanilla (I guess if you don't blitz, then you're vanilla???) because we can't take chances with our weak ass safeties... and our slow aging ILBs.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:07 AM    (permalink
Go Cowboys
Pro Bowler

Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Our scheme is not a vanilla scheme. Our defense may seem vanilla (I guess if you don't blitz, then you're vanilla???) because we can't take chances with our weak ass safeties... and our slow aging ILBs.
Sorry, but please enlighten me as to how it is any different than your average, rush this guy off the edge or this guy.

In High School I ran the 3-4 and we did basically this with a stunt here or there.

People will always take advantages of your weaknesses if you allow them, so you have to force them into worrying about their own weaknesses first. You have to take the pressure to the offense and not let the offensive Cooridnator get to comfortable with any playcall.

Old 10-22-2010, 02:04 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Cowboys View Post
Sorry, but please enlighten me as to how it is any different than your average, rush this guy off the edge or this guy.

In High School I ran the 3-4 and we did basically this with a stunt here or there.

People will always take advantages of your weaknesses if you allow them, so you have to force them into worrying about their own weaknesses first. You have to take the pressure to the offense and not let the offensive Cooridnator get to comfortable with any playcall.
Glad to know you have the expertise to call Wade's defense vanilla. Gee, I wish Wade knew what a stunt was and could draw up some blitzes. Maybe then, the Cowboys would know what a win is.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:37 AM    (permalink
Modano
Veteran

Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pressure on the QB is the last of our problems. Have you watched the games? Even when we do not get a sack we usually hit the QB or put him on the ground. Pressure is not a problem, turnovers are.

But I still think that you need bounces to go your way, in team sports luck plays a big role. I heard people asking Wade's head because we had two excessive celebration penalties in two consecutive game. I'll state this once again: we got the one against the Titans because COLUMBO FELL. It was just bad luck, players do that all the time but usually they don't fall. There's no other explanation and it was also a bad call. And without that penalty you probably win the game.
Austin was penalized for a leap frog, I bet he didn't know it was against the rule to do so and it's ******** to me. So well, let's start penalizing players for hugging after a TD, it involves more than one player!

Each one of our losses was decided by a bounce, you get that bounce and you win the game. So, although we are not playing good, we still had a chance to win those games. The Redskins are the opposite as of now, they get bounces just like they did against us or against the Packers (which lost like 7 starters during the game and hit the post on a game winning FG).

So the difference between being 1-4 and 5-0 is smaller than most of the fans think.

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU
Modano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 05:09 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano View Post
Pressure on the QB is the last of our problems. Have you watched the games? Even when we do not get a sack we usually hit the QB or put him on the ground. Pressure is not a problem, turnovers are.

But I still think that you need bounces to go your way, in team sports luck plays a big role. I heard people asking Wade's head because we had two excessive celebration penalties in two consecutive game. I'll state this once again: we got the one against the Titans because COLUMBO FELL. It was just bad luck, players do that all the time but usually they don't fall. There's no other explanation and it was also a bad call. And without that penalty you probably win the game.
Austin was penalized for a leap frog, I bet he didn't know it was against the rule to do so and it's ******** to me. So well, let's start penalizing players for hugging after a TD, it involves more than one player!

Each one of our losses was decided by a bounce, you get that bounce and you win the game. So, although we are not playing good, we still had a chance to win those games. The Redskins are the opposite as of now, they get bounces just like they did against us or against the Packers (which lost like 7 starters during the game and hit the post on a game winning FG).

So the difference between being 1-4 and 5-0 is smaller than most of the fans think.
I agree that the differences in our losses has been small. Super small! But damn, they put us in a hole that is might mighty hard to crawl out of.

We can always take it one game at a time and treat each game as if it's the SB. A bit of luck would probably go a long ways.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:40 AM    (permalink
ricowboy
Rookie

ricowboy is a cocksman.ricowboy is a cocksman.ricowboy is a cocksman.

Quote:
Can anybody argue this? What we're doing now ain't workin'.
You just summarized the Boys year in one sentence. We all can agree that it is simply not working. I think we all can agree that the talent is not the problem. I honestly think the problem is coaching. We need a true leader as a head coach. Crayton comments last night really enlightened us into how dysfunctional the coaching staff is. Too many messages that confuses the players!
ricowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:49 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricowboy View Post
You just summarized the Boys year in one sentence. We all can agree that it is simply not working. I think we all can agree that the talent is not the problem. I honestly think the problem is coaching. We need a true leader as a head coach. Crayton comments last night really enlightened us into how dysfunctional the coaching staff is. Too many messages that confuses the players!
LOL@Crayton... He's STILL being the mole! Leaking inside info about the Cowboys.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:53 AM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

Quote:
LOL@Crayton... He's STILL being the mole! Leaking inside info about the Cowboys.
This team needs to be revamped. Wade has gotten by with the talent on the team but now it's time to move on. Anything short of somehow making the NFC Title game, which is probably a 2% chance, the coaching staff and o-line besides free and MAYBE kosier if he wants to come back for cheap need to be gone.

Draft o-line high and get in a named coached, preferably with a ring.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:11 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Can anybody argue this? What we're doing now ain't workin'.
Your still confusing me as to how throwing out guys who could very easily be worse, into the starting line-up would be best. Who knows if they will make us better, but what the hell, as long as we are playing young guys that's all that matters.

D, I get your point, but it's waaaay too early to be acting like this. We can win 4 games in a row and possibly be looking at a bye week, it's pointless to start throwing out young guys who haven't even earned a starting spot yet.

I don't even think some of you guys have watched much of Jason Williams. He looked lost in pre-season, reports were he was lost in Training Camp, it's alot more to playing MLB then athleticism.

Brooking doesn't suck, but he doesn't need to be playing on passing downs, he's gonna be better then Jason Williams on base downs because JW can't diagnose plays as well, call out audibles, the Mike has to be the QB of the entire defense and by all accounts JW isn't ready for that. Being fast as hell doesn't change that. We tried to give JW and Lee a chance to win the Nickle LB job and nobody ran away with it, Lee was hurt and JW was getting burned by back-ups in pre-season.

It be different if everytime we saw AOA, or JW, they were lighting it up. But you guys want to start tossing out guys and just "hope" they are good enough to start after 5 games into the season. What if they end up being worse? Oh well, we blew the season trying to find out but at least they got meaningful reps right? Makes no sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:12 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
This team needs to be revamped. Wade has gotten by with the talent on the team but now it's time to move on. Anything short of somehow making the NFC Title game, which is probably a 2% chance, the coaching staff and o-line besides free and MAYBE kosier if he wants to come back for cheap need to be gone.

Draft o-line high and get in a named coached, preferably with a ring.
I don't think there's any other choice Jerry can do.

Wade is such a yes man though. I bet he would stay as DC if Jerry let him.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:34 PM    (permalink
Go Cowboys
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Glad to know you have the expertise to call Wade's defense vanilla. Gee, I wish Wade knew what a stunt was and could draw up some blitzes. Maybe then, the Cowboys would know what a win is.
Well sorry I don't have the same opinion as you as that is obviously grounds to say I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Look at the Ravens, the Eagles under Jim Johnson, Jets, and some of the other top defenses... Do they sit and catch plays or do they attack? As it has always been Defense wins you championships, the offense gets you there but the defense decides whether your going to be good. The best way to stop a high powered offense is to get to them before they get to you. We wait and let them do THEIR gameplan, look at the teams we play, they don't let us get comfortable we again are playing to THEIR gameplan.

Show me how it is not vanilla and then I will leave it alone but all you have done is imply that I am wrong without any basis. Please show me how it is not vanilla and I will eat my words.... But until then I am going to continue to say that until you make the other team play to OUR gameplan then you can't say that we are going to be able to put anyone in there and get better results.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:43 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

Quote:
I don't think there's any other choice Jerry can do.

Wade is such a yes man though. I bet he would stay as DC if Jerry let him.
Honestly, I don't even know if I would want made as the DC.

I want turnovers, and this team has proved that it isn't just bad luck that we don't get them. It's the scheme. Sure we stop people, but turnovers just don't happen.

I could live with giving up some plays if I see an orlando scandrick pick 6 evry once in a while, but we don't.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:44 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

Quote:
Well sorry I don't have the same opinion as you as that is obviously grounds to say I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Look at the Ravens, the Eagles under Jim Johnson, Jets, and some of the other top defenses... Do they sit and catch plays or do they attack? As it has always been Defense wins you championships, the offense gets you there but the defense decides whether your going to be good. The best way to stop a high powered offense is to get to them before they get to you. We wait and let them do THEIR gameplan, look at the teams we play, they don't let us get comfortable we again are playing to THEIR gameplan.

Show me how it is not vanilla and then I will leave it alone but all you have done is imply that I am wrong without any basis. Please show me how it is not vanilla and I will eat my words.... But until then I am going to continue to say that until you make the other team play to OUR gameplan then you can't say that we are going to be able to put anyone in there and get better results.
This is a valid point, and this is why Wade's defense has it's flaws.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:13 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:

I definitely don't have an issue with differing opinions. If you want to disagree then that's good. ...and that's all it is.

I don't have any issue in what you're saying about being an attacking defense. I have an issue with you saying that Wade's scheme is a vanilla scheme. Is that what you're saying? What exactly do you mean by calling it vanilla? That they don't blitz enough? Or is it something else? That word is too indescriptive for me. Are you calling Wade's gameplan & play calling too conservative or are you calling the scheme itself in design inadequate?

I'll go from there.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:15 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
This is a valid point, and this is why Wade's defense has it's flaws.
Which parts of the Phillips 1-gap, 3-4 attacking scheme has flaws that you can identify?
Old 10-22-2010, 01:42 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Your still confusing me as to how throwing out guys who could very easily be worse, into the starting line-up would be best. Who knows if they will make us better, but what the hell, as long as we are playing young guys that's all that matters.

D, I get your point, but it's waaaay too early to be acting like this. We can win 4 games in a row and possibly be looking at a bye week, it's pointless to start throwing out young guys who haven't even earned a starting spot yet.

I don't even think some of you guys have watched much of Jason Williams. He looked lost in pre-season, reports were he was lost in Training Camp, it's alot more to playing MLB then athleticism.

Brooking doesn't suck, but he doesn't need to be playing on passing downs, he's gonna be better then Jason Williams on base downs because JW can't diagnose plays as well, call out audibles, the Mike has to be the QB of the entire defense and by all accounts JW isn't ready for that. Being fast as hell doesn't change that. We tried to give JW and Lee a chance to win the Nickle LB job and nobody ran away with it, Lee was hurt and JW was getting burned by back-ups in pre-season.

It be different if everytime we saw AOA, or JW, they were lighting it up. But you guys want to start tossing out guys and just "hope" they are good enough to start after 5 games into the season. What if they end up being worse? Oh well, we blew the season trying to find out but at least they got meaningful reps right? Makes no sense.
Let me end the confusion. You put them out there to see what they can do facing live bullets. If all they do is struggle, then you have the option of taking them out of the game again. If they struggle here and there, but they are also making things happen here or there, then you let them work through it some. If they aren't struggling out there and are in fact playing better than you expected, then you can know with confidence that you can trust them and can play them. You don't have to take out our vets completely, but at least you know you can have a solid rotation and can identify which situations are best to play them according to their strengths and weaknesses.

If you don't give them a chance to prove themselves in live game action and you make your judgements based off practices, then you're basically holding onto unknowns. Sometimes you hold on to those unknowns so long, that it becomes a detriment to your team. Pat McQuistan was with our team for years and never provided a bit of impact. He was one of those "unknowns" and we basically wasted a roster spot holding onto him. GC mentioned that he's playing well for Miami (a winning team). That only tells me that we made a mistake not playing him earlier and finding out like Miami is finding out now, that he is a good starting caliber player. These are mistakes that are avoidable if you let the "unknowns" PLAY!

Like I said earlier... too many of you are too untrusting. You have the set mentality that because either these guys come from small schools or were mid to late round picks that they automatically can't be trusted. One mistake and you want to yank them off the field, crucify them and stamp your brain with a memory that these guys aren't ready and it will take a long time for you to get over it. Which really surprises me considering how much success we've had with small school guys and late round picks/UDFAs. Ware and Ratliff played from the start... a small school and late round pick. Remember when we played Scandrick his rookie year and everyone was excited about his future because he was making good things happen on the field? Same with Victor Butler... Choice... Barber... mid round picks.

Lee is a damn 2nd rounder, and JW is a high 3rd! These are guys we are tabbing as our starting ILBs for the next decade...Let these guys get some action! Let these guys play through some of the mistakes that they will make. Not make such herky jerky decisions. ...and don't say, "Oh he can't play nickel because he's too slow or doesn't have the skillset," before you even give him a chance on the field because of what you judged in practice or preseason. Or should I say, what the coaches judged in practice and what you judged in the preason.

You trust the coaches making the right decisions about player development, but you want the coaches to be fired? Not pointing to you LL, just saying in general, that's what I seem to be hearing.

As for AOA, maybe he is terribly raw and the coaches are right. But I already acknowledged that the point CG brought up about Ball working through his mistakes might be the best for the team and is basically the idea I've been preaching. That I just need to let Ball work through it. I'm willing to do that for a few more games.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:56 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

Quote:
Which parts of the Phillips 1-gap, 3-4 attacking scheme has flaws that you can identify?
When the QB has time we get BURNT, and we don't force turnovers, at all...
Old 10-22-2010, 01:59 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
When the QB has time we get BURNT, and we don't force turnovers, at all...
And you think there is only 1 single reason for that, and that it's the scheme?
Old 10-22-2010, 02:06 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

Quote:
And you think there is only 1 single reason for that, and that it's the scheme?
Why don't we ever see brooking or james pull a stunt then pick off a crossing route? Why don't we ever have a robber safety and get a pick?

Sh*t dude, Brett Favre didn't even throw a pick on us. It's terrible.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:11 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Why don't we ever see brooking or james pull a stunt then pick off a crossing route? Why don't we ever have a robber safety and get a pick?

Sh*t dude, Brett Favre didn't even throw a pick on us. It's terrible.
In all of his 8 seasons Bradie James has 1 career INT. Keith Brooking hasn't had a single INT in the last 5 years. Do I have to spell out the math?

Look at how crappy our safeties are...

As you can tell by the way I've been calling for some of our younger guys to play... I'm not blaming the scheme as much as I am blaming the personnel.

We have an ILB who can run a 4.46 40 who has a vert of 36 inches and he barely sees the field in favor of a slow old vet. Don't tell me it's the scheme.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:27 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

I agree on Williams.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:50 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

I don't know if anyone is watching NFL Network right now, but they just showed how steven bowen TOSSED steve huchinson on a piece ont he vikings o-line.

He needs to play more.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:15 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...e.1569d18.html

Read the last part...

Jason Williams really must be awful in practice.