Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 10-23-2010, 06:01 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Question about Boston College

So a friend and I were discussing it, and maybe we're really late to the game but whatever, but is there a time you can remember when Boston College was less relevant? Granted, they were never and never will be one of the big ponies in town, but I remember there being a lot more interest than their is right now. The move to the ACC seems to be the main culprit. Nobody here seems to identify at all with this team anymore. They play in a league where the nearest opponent is seven hours away and and we hardly ever see the oppositions games on television around here. This just isn't ACC country, and it probably never will be. In my opinion, it was always more advantageous for them to have us(tapping into the Boston market, ACC Tournament in Fenway Park, ect) but none of it has really worked out for anyone in the end. BC is drawing in less fans than ever and they're not really doing any favors for them either.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Last edited by ElectricEye : 10-23-2010 at 07:19 PM.
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:32 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yea, I agree. Irrelevant is putting it nicely.
I guess it could be the ACC angle. I knew it was going to be rough at first
But I think it'll pay off in the long run.

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:36 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just think the regional disconnect is a big part of it. We're playing against teams in the Carolinas, Florida, Georgia, and Virginia. The only teams we really care about playing are Miami and Virginia Tech, and those were the old Big East rivalries.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 10-23-2010, 08:44 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It has a lot to do with the move to the ACC. People in the area don't relate to the teams BC plays. Another factor is that there are so many ******* schools up there, it's impossible for there to be large regional support for any one school's sports teams.

I live in Kansas City. The Big XII is ******* huge here. There aren't a lot of big schools out here (Mizzou, KU, UMKC). KU and Mizzou dominate the talk, but there are fans and alums from all over the Big XII (and Iowa) here. People relate to all of the schools KU and Mizzou play, which makes the games matter, which makes the KU and Mizzou sports teams matter.

The Big Ten is the same way. Most of the schools are pretty close to each other and there are every school has fans and alums throughout the region.

Another big factor is that BC is a private school. The Big XII teams that matter are all public schools...not that we should be looking to UMass to make college sports popular in the Boston area.

Leaving the Big East was a mistake. They should have just said "**** You!" to Miami and VT.

Last edited by nepg : 10-23-2010 at 08:48 PM.
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:49 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Having 3 different head coaches in so short a time does not help.
wonderbredd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:52 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's really been two and a half different head coaches. The defense hasn't changed at all.

It really sucks that Jagz had to test the AD's resolve. That dude things going great for BC, and they'd only just begun. Spaz is not a good recruiter, and the team still can't get any decent receivers to sign.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:54 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderbredd24 View Post
Having 3 different head coaches in so short a time does not help.
The staff in right now is old and boring too. That does hurts a whole lot.

The thing with Jagz did hurt a ton. He was getting speed and offense into their team, which is what lead to the spike in popularity(along with Matty Ice). ****, I know I cared a whole hell of a lot more back then.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Last edited by ElectricEye : 10-23-2010 at 09:01 PM.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:58 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
It really sucks that Jagz had to test the AD's resolve. That dude things going great for BC.
DERP DERP DERP
Old 10-23-2010, 09:06 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Derp happens to the best of us. I know I forget to type words a **** ton in my posts. Most of that has to do with the fact I'm usually multitasking when I'm on here, but still, no shame in derp on occasion haha.

I really would like for Boston College to be relevant again. I've pretty much made up my mind that as they stand right now in the ACC with this coaching staff, solid as they may be, I probably just don't care. I really think there's a place for big time college sports in this region, even if it is a small one. Rutgers is doing well under similar circumstances, and UConn is doing a whole hell of a lot more both as a relevant athletic program and area wise. Both of those schools are public schools with much bigger enrollments, but they still have a similar niche to appeal to.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 10-23-2010, 09:38 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

I kind of tossed UMass aside, but if they switch to FBS and get in the Big East...I could see it. That's a strong program and they want to be a football school.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:27 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

They're MASSIVE right now. Pretty much everyone I went to High School with ended up at Amherest. Would certainly have a great installed fanbase. What would help them even more would be to have BC move back to the Big East as well, then you have an instate in conference rivalry to build on. I don't know much about their athletic program though to be honest.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Last edited by ElectricEye : 10-23-2010 at 10:40 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:57 PM    (permalink
Bigburt63
Veteran

Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This will always be a pro sports town though. For UMass to move up to 1-A would cost a large sum of money, and I'm not sure they would have enough support to warrant such a move. It would be 5+ years before they are even relevant in any capacity. Another thing to consider is that they are a ways away from Boston, and already struggle to get media coverage despite being extremely competitive (national championship game appearance) in 1-AA.

Besides, they, along with most schools around here, are a hockey school. UMass, UMass-Lowell, BU, BC, Northeastern, Maine, UNH, Vermont, Merrimack, Providence form one of, if not the best hockey conference int he nation.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:59 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

BC has never been incredibly relevant in college football recently aside from Matt Ryan's senior year. They are pretty much the definition of a solid team but it isn't enough of a program to take the next step, BC will always have very good players along the lines but they never have those "wow" guys at the skill positions. They are a tough team that is hard to play and they will never get blown out and are always well coached, but they simply don't bring in the kind of athletes most of the top schools do. I love the way they are coached and play, they are my #2 team behind Ole Miss but they have been the epitome of a solid and consistent team for a while who has a shot at being more once every few years (Kiwanuka's senior year and Matt Ryan's senior year come to mind)..

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote