Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New Orleans Saints Team Forum

New Orleans Saints Team Forum Discuss the Saints

View Poll Results: Who would you choose at 27?
Chris Houston, CB, Arkansas 7 38.89%
Darrelle Revis, CB, Pittsburgh 4 22.22%
Aaron Ross, CB, Texas 5 27.78%
Paul Posluszny, LB, Penn State 1 5.56%
Dwayne Jarrett, WR, Southern Cal 1 5.56%
Trade the selection away 0 0%
Choose someone else not listed (explain who and why?) 0 0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-19-2007, 09:53 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You guys need to take the best available corner, I think it's the most obvious need and pick in the 2nd half of the first round.

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 09:56 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints Dome Patrol View Post

That being said, I think that as it is, Hall, Houston, Revis, even Ross, might be gone by the time the Saints end up picking at twenty-seven.

If that's the case, would y'all be okay with picking McCauley? Or would you rather see us choosing someone else?
I think McCauley is a guy who has all the physical tools, and measurables, but as you noted I'm very concerned about his poor Senior season..

Overall if everyone else was off the board I wouldn't mind the pick, especially if the coaching staff thinks they can work with him. The closer we get to Draft day the more I think McCauley is going to be the pick...which could be a great thing, or bad thing down the line he's very Boom/Bust.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:03 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
which could be a great thing, or bad thing down the line he's very Boom/Bust.
Which is true but the same thing can be said about Chris Houston and I have him as my #1 CB available.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 01:40 AM    (permalink
Saints Dome Patrol
Team Leader
Veteran

Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thought you might find this interesting...talking Draft and all.

ESPN's Count Chocula, I mean, Mel Kiper, Jr. just said on the Baltimore Ravens "On The Clock" that he feels that Marcus McCauley is a third round selection? Can you believe that?

I know he's supposed to be a draft expert and all, but is he serious? Did he really have that bad of a senior year?

Also, on the same vein, I don't know if y'all have been keeping up with this series of segments, but I hate how they're doing them in reverse order! It's like "Oh, gee, we don't know who's going to be there, so let's just pick someone..."

Sometimes, I hate ESPN.

Sig by jkpigskin

SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS! Bless you boys!

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Check out my blog!
http://sportsinsomniacs.wordpress.com/

Follow myself and The Sports Insomniacs on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/SportInsomniacs
Saints Dome Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 01:54 AM    (permalink
Saints Dome Patrol
Team Leader
Veteran

Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

One thing that's surprised me so far, is that no one (as of yet) has shown any love for Paul Posluszny. Is that because you guys don't think he'll be available at twenty-seven, don't think he's worthy of the pick, or that cornerback is a bigger need?

Just curious...

Sig by jkpigskin

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Check out my blog!

Old 03-20-2007, 07:34 AM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
ESPN's Count Chocula, I mean, Mel Kiper, Jr. just said on the Baltimore Ravens "On The Clock" that he feels that Marcus McCauley is a third round selection? Can you believe that?
He also has Steve Smith going in the first round to Philly. Gotta love Mel.

Quote:
One thing that's surprised me so far, is that no one (as of yet) has shown any love for Paul Posluszny. Is that because you guys don't think he'll be available at twenty-seven, don't think he's worthy of the pick, or that cornerback is a bigger need?
I just feel that CB is a huge concern right now especially since it wasn't addressed in FA. Plus, this draft is VERY LB-deep. We could still select a H.B. Blades or someone like that in the 2nd round.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Old 03-20-2007, 05:33 PM    (permalink
Saints Dome Patrol
Team Leader
Veteran

Tomorrow on the 5 p.m. CST SportsCenter, ESPN will have the Saints "On The Clock" with Chris Mortenson, Darren Woodson, and Count Chocula (Mel Kiper)... talking about who they should pick at 27.

Just thought I put it on here and see who's interested. I really don't like this segment, but it might be interesting to see who they think the Saints should pick.

Sig by jkpigskin

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Check out my blog!

Old 03-20-2007, 07:37 PM    (permalink
Saints Dome Patrol
Team Leader
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auron View Post
I like it personally.

Ross is a standard pick. Even though I'm skeptical of going WR that early I'm really high on Craig Davis.. I think he'll be a good receiver. Don't know much about McBride but it does try and address a need.
Do you think that defensive tackle is a bigger need than linebacker?

Sig by jkpigskin

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Check out my blog!

Old 03-20-2007, 07:44 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Do you think that defensive tackle is a bigger need than linebacker?
I think that it is.

Right now I think we're ok with Shanle - Simmons - Fujita with Simoneau as an all-purpose backup.

on the other hand I'm not too crazy about Young, Leisle, and Lake at DT.. also Hollis tends to wear down in games so he needs someone to spell him in the rotation..

however that doesn't necessarily mean we should reach for a DT, if there's good value at LB available.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:45 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

I'll be watching tomorrow. They also put part of the segment up on the ESPN.com website as well.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:59 PM    (permalink
Saints Dome Patrol
Team Leader
Veteran

Quote:
I think that it is.

Right now I think we're ok with Shanle - Simmons - Fujita with Simoneau as an all-purpose backup.

on the other hand I'm not too crazy about Young, Leisle, and Lake at DT.. also Hollis tends to wear down in games so he needs someone to spell him in the rotation..

however that doesn't necessarily mean we should reach for a DT, if there's good value at LB available.
I'm not totally sold with the Shanle-Simmons-Fujita rotation, but I agree that that trio is probably more solid than the defensive tackle rotation.

That being said, which linebacker would be worth a third round selection, in your opinion, over picking someone like defensive tackle Turk McBride, as Scott Wright has us getting?

Sig by jkpigskin

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Check out my blog!

Old 03-20-2007, 08:09 PM    (permalink
Saints Dome Patrol
Team Leader
Veteran

Quote:
I'll be watching tomorrow. They also put part of the segment up on the ESPN.com website as well.
I know. That might be the only way I can see it, as I'm going to be working most of the day.

Who do you think that the "experts" will have us picking... my money is either Aaron Ross or somebody off the wall that we haven't even talked about, like Sidney Rice or somebody like that.

Sig by jkpigskin

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Check out my blog!

Old 03-20-2007, 08:11 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Quote:
I know. That might be the only way I can see it, as I'm going to be working most of the day.

Who do you think that the "experts" will have us picking... my money is either Aaron Ross or somebody off the wall that we haven't even talked about, like Sidney Rice or somebody like that.
I'm pretty sure the experts will mostly talk about the Cornerback need, and probably give us Ross, Houston, Revis, McCauley...

they might give us a LB like Posluszny or someone.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:18 PM    (permalink
Saints Dome Patrol
Team Leader
Veteran

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the experts will mostly talk about the Cornerback need, and probably give us Ross, Houston, Revis, McCauley...

they might give us a LB like Posluszny or someone.
If I'm correct, I think Chocula gave the Patriots Posluszny with the 24th selection... I could be wrong, but I think he had them getting him and Eric Weddle from Utah with their second first round selection.

How pissed would you be if they have us picking someone like Brian Leonard? I think I'd be surprised, but then given who's the "experts" per se, I wouldn't be too surprised...

Sig by jkpigskin

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Check out my blog!

Old 03-20-2007, 08:29 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Kiper's latest mock has us taking Aaron Ross

Old 03-20-2007, 09:26 PM    (permalink
Naked Jehuty

how would you guys feel about trading up to take Olsen?
Old 03-20-2007, 09:49 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked Jehuty View Post
how would you guys feel about trading up to take Olsen?
I would be puzzled if we did that, I think with the signing of Eric Johnson, and re-signing Billy Miller that we're fine at the TE position.

If he's the Best player available at 27 then fine, but if we trade up for someone it should be an impact Defensive player.

We may add a combo TE to groom in the middle rounds of the draft, but I think we have more pressing priorities in the early rounds.

Last edited by Auron : 03-20-2007 at 09:58 PM.
Auron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 10:44 PM    (permalink
Saints Dome Patrol
Team Leader
Veteran

Quote:
I would be puzzled if we did that, I think with the signing of Eric Johnson, and re-signing Billy Miller that we're fine at the TE position.

If he's the Best player available at 27 then fine, but if we trade up for someone it should be an impact Defensive player.

We may add a combo TE to groom in the middle rounds of the draft, but I think we have more pressing priorities in the early rounds.
I agree. After signing Eric Johnson, I think that we've added quality depth to our tight end position and it would be unnecessary to trade up in the first round for a tight end.

But now, I wouldn't be surprised if the Saints end up selecting a tight end later, someone like Ben Patrick, Matt Spaeth or Michael Allan in the middle of the Draft.

Sig by jkpigskin

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Check out my blog!

Old 03-21-2007, 02:06 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think we're not going to trade up to get Olsen. if he's there at our pick then I think we might seriously consider him but as far as moving up? I doubt it. I think we will really make a play at getting Ben Patrick as he's the type of player the Saints like and want.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 02:08 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I think that it is.

I'm not overly impressed with the DT class this year. The LB class is much better and deeper. I would rather us draft a MLB because of Simmons age and if we can improve over what we have then I say we go for it.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 06:59 PM    (permalink
Saints Dome Patrol
Team Leader
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
Kiper's latest mock has us taking Aaron Ross
Flyboy called it, on ESPN's "On The Clock" segment, Kiper and the other two experts have us taking Texas CB Aaron Ross in the first round.

To read more, click here:
On the Clock: Saints

The video should be up later.

Sig by jkpigskin

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Check out my blog!

Old 03-21-2007, 07:06 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Just watched the segment and read the article.

- Complimented the Offense and Payton's playcalling ability. Talked about how deep we are at the skill positions, and said the Offensive line played better than everyone thought they would.

- Mentioned Loomis' successful 1st round picks in Smith, Brown, and Bush after the Sullivan debacle.

- Talked about the obvious need in the Secondary, particularly at Corner. Said Aaron Ross would be available and be a good choice, also mentioned Eric Wright.

- Also said run stopping personnel needed to improve along the interior D-line. Kiper said we could pick up a DT in the 2nd, 3rd rounds (Mebane, McBride were names thrown around)

- Closed by saying that if we can considerably improve the Defense this draft, we will solidify ourselves as top contenders.

---
Overall was a pretty general Saints overview, nothing that most of us don't already know. CB is the main need, and the Defense has room for improvements.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:18 PM    (permalink
Saints Dome Patrol
Team Leader
Veteran

Quote:
Just watched the segment and read the article.

- Complimented the Offense and Payton's playcalling ability. Talked about how deep we are at the skill positions, and said the Offensive line played better than everyone thought they would.

- Mentioned Loomis' successful 1st round picks in Smith, Brown, and Bush after the Sullivan debacle.

- Talked about the obvious need in the Secondary, particularly at Corner. Said Aaron Ross would be available and be a good choice, also mentioned Eric Wright.

- Also said run stopping personnel needed to improve along the interior D-line. Kiper said we could pick up a DT in the 2nd, 3rd rounds (Mebane, McBride were names thrown around)

- Closed by saying that if we can considerably improve the Defense this draft, we will solidify ourselves as top contenders.

---
Overall was a pretty general Saints overview, nothing that most of us don't already know. CB is the main need, and the Defense has room for improvements.
I was surprised that we were actually ranked higher than I expected against the pass (third, I believe) but that we were below average against the run. I thought that they did a good job summing up what we have and what we need, but I was surprised that Kiper even mentioned UNLV's Eric Wright. Where in the world did he come from?

That said, I think his pick of Aaron Ross is what we expected. Unfortunately, Ross' stock might be climbing due to his great workout in Austin today. He might not make it all the way to twenty-seven. :(

Sig by jkpigskin

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Check out my blog!

Old 03-21-2007, 08:55 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Quote:
I was surprised that we were actually ranked higher than I expected against the pass (third, I believe) but that we were below average against the run. I thought that they did a good job summing up what we have and what we need, but I was surprised that Kiper even mentioned UNLV's Eric Wright. Where in the world did he come from?

That said, I think his pick of Aaron Ross is what we expected. Unfortunately, Ross' stock might be climbing due to his great workout in Austin today. He might not make it all the way to twenty-seven. :(
Well if all 4 top Corners (Hall, Revis, Houston, Ross) are gone by 27.. then I guess we'd be pretty unlucky. I'm still not ruling out jumping a few slots..to grab the guy we want. Say if either Revis, Houston, or Ross were hanging around at the 23,24 spot.. I could see us giving a 3rd/4th to jump the Jets and grab him.

Eric Wright is an intriguing prospect, he has great talent and cover ability but the incidents with the law are a big no-no in Payton's book.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:09 PM    (permalink
Saints Dome Patrol
Team Leader
Veteran

Scott's newest mock draft has us getting Arkansas cornerback Chris Houston, LSU wide receiver Craig Davis, and then surprising to me, Brown inside linebacker Zak DeOssie. (who?)

Comments? Leave 'em here!

Sig by jkpigskin

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Check out my blog!