Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 10-28-2010, 02:32 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morton View Post
Why are Dallas fans talking about getting Patrick Peterson? Don't you guys realize that you have, potentially, quarterback needs, and most definitely offensive line needs?

Picking Patrick Peterson with a top 10 pick next year and neglecting the offensive line yet again would lead to more losing seasons for the Cowboys.
1. There is NO offensive lineman worth taking in the Top 10.

2. Jerry Jones prefers to get his OL via trade or FA.

3. Tony Romo is not the problem, I don't care what his critics say. Most of Romo's hate is caused by hatred to the Cowboys. Please... we're not taking Locker or Mallet. OMG, what a joke.

4. Patrick Peterson can play CB or S, he creates turnovers, something we have a hard time doing, and plays at a position that is expensive to fill in FA. Newman is also getting older.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:34 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

Thank you D-Unit for backing up what I said.

This draft looks stocked with 2nd and 3rd round talents on the o-line.

If we can get peterson, prince, or a DE like clayborn, you take him. Then you go o-line in rounds 2 and 3. That is fine for interior lineman especially. We don't need a LT, free is a baller. RT is much easier as well as interior.
xxxxxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:36 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss+Manning=Banning View Post
Trade down and get more picks, and then address the offensive line. I think that should be step 1. Protect your franchise QB! I wouldn't mind if we drafted OL as well, especially at OT.
We don't need more picks. We traded down for more picks in 2009 and that was our worst draft in recent memory.

I fully expect Jerry to bring in some OL help in FA or Trade.

We need playmakers with that first pick. Patrick Peterson, Nick Fairley, Adrian Clayborn... Dareus, I'm not sold on.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:37 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

Who is nick fairley? Sorry, not to draft savy yet..
Old 10-28-2010, 02:40 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
Who is nick fairley? Sorry, not to draft savy yet..
The #2 guy on my draft board. Absolute Monster DE at Auburn.

Old 10-28-2010, 02:41 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
We don't need more picks. We traded down for more picks in 2009 and that was our worst draft in recent memory.

I fully expect Jerry to bring in some OL help in FA or Trade.

We need playmakers with that first pick. Patrick Peterson, Nick Fairley, Adrian Clayborn... Dareus, I'm not sold on.
Well see, you have a different way of drafting. It doesn't help that your damn owner is the GM too! LOL. I mean come on!

Well if you do get playmakers, then you BETTER get OL help, something that many have been citing as a weakness for a while now. Need to give Romo help! It's funny because you guys have playmakers, but it comes down to leadership, coaching, and discipline. It's not like you guys are lacking talent. Your HC stinks, and your GM is meddling with every aspect of the franchise.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:07 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Well see, you have a different way of drafting. It doesn't help that your damn owner is the GM too! LOL. I mean come on!

Well if you do get playmakers, then you BETTER get OL help, something that many have been citing as a weakness for a while now. Need to give Romo help! It's funny because you guys have playmakers, but it comes down to leadership, coaching, and discipline. It's not like you guys are lacking talent. Your HC stinks, and your GM is meddling with every aspect of the franchise.
LOL. You know what's funny about you critics? You guys were citing our OL as a weakness because of Doug Free last year. Now he's our best lineman. But hey... we tried to tell you. We know OL is a problem area. Doesn't mean you have to spend a 1st rounder on one. I'm happy with Jerry's philosophy on addressing the OL. Spend the bucks or make trades for guys that are proven talents. Draft outside of Round 1 for development. We're very fortunate that this year's FA class of OL looks VERY deep.

As for playmakers, we have them on the offensive side and we have a few on defense. But our secondary could really need a boost at CB and especially S.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:12 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Same here D. I didn't mind criticism of the O-line but it would have had to of been with everyone else, not Doug Free.

Anyway I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't try and find 2 new starters on the line in FA, and take another guy with our 2nd rd pick.

But we need a safety, O-line, and a CB early. ILB may possibly be up there as well. I'm not putting DE as high as everyone else because Bowen can get re-signed for cheap and then we just need depth. Those are the only positions I'm concerned about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:12 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
LOL. You know what's funny about you critics? You guys were citing our OL as a weakness because of Doug Free last year. Now he's our best lineman. But hey... we tried to tell you. We know OL is a problem area. Doesn't mean you have to spend a 1st rounder on one. I'm happy with Jerry's philosophy on addressing the OL. Spend the bucks or make trades for guys that are proven talents. Draft outside of Round 1 for development. We're very fortunate that this year's FA class of OL looks VERY deep.

As for playmakers, we have them on the offensive side and we have a few on defense. But our secondary could really need a boost at CB and especially S.
Yeah safety is a big option. I can't believe that safety just ran past Manningham. What horrible effort on that play! I would address safety as a spot. What OL free agents are available?

I am not a fan of that method for the OL. I prefer the draft them ourselves and use the money to fill other needs. Or sign them as undrafted free agents, or something and give them a chance. We need a OT, and I'd rather draft one than sign one personally.

But that safety of yours made a horrible effort to try to tackle Manningham. The DL who still pursued was impressive though. That's the type of plays that coaches love to see. The effort and motor of a player is really important.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:15 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Why are Dallas fans talking about getting Patrick Peterson? Don't you guys realize that you have, potentially, quarterback needs, and most definitely offensive line needs?

Picking Patrick Peterson with a top 10 pick next year and neglecting the offensive line yet again would lead to more losing seasons for the Cowboys.
Well since your so smart, please tell us what Offensive lineman makes sense to you in the top 10? I'd love to hear it, seeing as how it'd be a RT, Guard or Center. So list them please.

Peterson is not a luxury, CB is one of the most important positions on a team period, and one of the few positions you can use a top 10 pick on, RT, Guard or Center is NOT a top 10 worth pick. Especially since Scandrick needs to be playing for the UFL.

But if your going to criticize, you need to know what your talking about. So let's hear some names of offensive lineman you would take for instance, at the 6th pick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:20 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

QB, WR, OT, DT, DE/OLB, CB and S are the only positions I would spent a 1st round pick on because they are top dollar positions.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:22 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Yeah safety is a big option. I can't believe that safety just ran past Manningham. What horrible effort on that play! I would address safety as a spot. What OL free agents are available?

I am not a fan of that method for the OL. I prefer the draft them ourselves and use the money to fill other needs. Or sign them as undrafted free agents, or something and give them a chance. We need a OT, and I'd rather draft one than sign one personally.

But that safety of yours made a horrible effort to try to tackle Manningham. The DL who still pursued was impressive though. That's the type of plays that coaches love to see. The effort and motor of a player is really important.
This is a list of OL that I found. Some may be tagged/resigned and what not but it's a start and quite a long list.

Jared Gaither, BAL
Matt Light, NE
Donald Penn, TB
Jermon Bushrod, NO
Willie Colon, PIT
Carl Nicks, NO
Logan Mankins, NE
Ryan Kalil, CAR
Daryn Colledge, GB
Evan Mathis, CIN
Alan Faneca, ARI
Tyson Clabo, ATL
Doug Free, DAL
Ryan Harris, DEN
Jon Jansen, DET
Charlie Johnson, IND
Tony Ugoh, IND
Ryan O'Callaghan, KC
Mario Henderson, OAK
Khalif Barnes, OAK
Jeromey Clary, SD
Ray Willis, SEA
Jeremy Trueblood, TB
Stephon Heyer, WAS
Reggie Wells, ARI
Deuce Lutui, ARI
Lyle Sendlein, ARI
Quinn Ojinnaka, ATL
Justin Blalock, ATL
Harvey Dahl, ATL
Marshal Yanda, BAL
Chris Chester, BAL
Josh Beekman, CHI
Olin Kreutz, CHI
Nate Livings, CIN
Kyle Cook, CIN
Kyle Kosier, DAL
Manuel Ramirez, DET
Jason Spitz, GB
Uche Nwaneri, JAC
Casey Wiegmann, KC
Rudy Niswanger, KC
Richie Incognito, MIA
Jonathan Goodwin, NO
Chris Morris, OAK
Samson Satele, OAK
Max Jean-Gilles, PHI
Nick Cole, PHI
David Baas, SF
Chris Spencer, SEA
John Greco, STL
Mark Setterstrom, STL
Davin Joseph, TB
Leroy Harris, TEN

Last edited by D-Unit : 10-28-2010 at 03:57 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:27 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

Wow D, that kid is legit. I'm all for him. We need a playmaker.

As for OL in free agency... I don't want to bring in more guys close to or over 30... We need a future.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:28 PM    (permalink
Morton
Veteran

Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Peterson is not a luxury, CB is one of the most important positions on a team period, and one of the few positions you can use a top 10 pick on, RT, Guard or Center is NOT a top 10 worth pick. Especially since Scandrick needs to be playing for the UFL.
You have Mike Jenkins and Terrence Newman, both of which were recently elected to attend the Pro Bowl.

Cowboys fans clamoring for Patrick Peterson sound like a rich guy who owns both a Ferrari and a Porsche and yet is talking about buying a brand new Audi A8.

Quote:
But if your going to criticize, you need to know what your talking about. So let's hear some names of offensive lineman you would take for instance, at the 6th pick?
I think Gabe Carimi of Wisconsin could be a solid LT/RT for a decade or more. He could give Dallas a great RT to pair opposite Doug Free.

I also like Joseph Barksdale of LSU who projects as a quality RT in the NFL.

Obviously Doug Free is the LT of the future for the Cowboys and he seems like a solid one at that. But RT obviously is a big area of need, along with OG, which could be shored up in later rounds.
Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:29 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Wow D, that kid is legit. I'm all for him. We need a playmaker.

As for OL in free agency... I don't want to bring in more guys close to or over 30... We need a future.
Everyone is all about future. So those guys will be costly. If we can get a guy who is a little more long in the tooth at a lesser cost, but could give us 3 strong years while we develop guys who we've drafted in the mid rounds, then that's perfectly fine with me. We did that with Free and it worked like a charm. We just held onto Flo one year longer than we needed to.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:33 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
You have Mike Jenkins and Terrence Newman, both of which were recently elected to attend the Pro Bowl.

Cowboys fans clamoring for Patrick Peterson sound like a rich guy who owns both a Ferrari and a Porsche and yet is talking about buying a brand new Audi A8.

I think Gabe Carimi of Wisconsin could be a solid LT/RT for a decade or more. He could give Dallas a great RT to pair opposite Doug Free.

I also like Joseph Barksdale of LSU who projects as a quality RT in the NFL.

Obviously Doug Free is the LT of the future for the Cowboys and he seems like a solid one at that. But RT obviously is a big area of need, along with OG, which could be shored up in later rounds.
Newman is getting old. Pro Bowls isn't the correct measure to use. Far from it. I don't know how to tell you how bad that logic is nicely, but it's ridiculous.

Carimi and Barksdale won't be Top 15 picks. Might not even be 1st round picks.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:34 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

So D, what is your off-season plan, free agency, draft, and coaching, if you were running the cowboys. Let's say we have the 8th pick. I'm curious to what you would do.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:35 PM    (permalink
Morton
Veteran

Quote:
Newman is getting old. Pro Bowls isn't the correct measure to use. Far from it. I don't know how to tell you how bad that logic is nicely, but it's ridiculous.

Carimi and Barksdale won't be Top 15 picks. Might not even be 1st round picks.
So you think the Cowboys will be best served if Jerry spends his top-10 pick on a shiny new toy like Patrick Peterson or Nick Fairley and neglects a position of need like offensive line?

Good luck with that. I guess this will actually be best for the rest of the NFC East if Jerry keeps drafting this way, because it will continue to weaken Dallas in the trenches on the offensive side of the ball.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:38 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

Are you a fool? So would you take 2nd round talent with a top 10 pick instead of patrick peterson becuase you need an o-lineman?

No you idiot, you take peterson, then take that guy or the best available o-lineman in the top of the 2nd round...

THERE ARE NO OFFENSIVE LINEMAN IN THIS DRAFT WORTH A TOP TEN PICK.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:38 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
So you think the Cowboys will be best served if Jerry spends his top-10 pick on a shiny new toy like Patrick Peterson or Nick Fairley and neglects a position of need like offensive line?

Good luck with that. I guess this will actually be best for the rest of the NFC East if Jerry keeps drafting this way, because it will continue to weaken Dallas in the trenches on the offensive side of the ball.
You do realize that there are other ways to address the offensive line than using your 1st rounder on one..... right??????

That's really an honest question. Because you act like if the Cowboys don't spend their first rounder reaching on an OL in the Top 10, then all is lost.

Wake up bro. There's 6 other rounds of drafting, plus Free Agency and Trade options.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:39 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Are you a fool? So would you take 2nd round talent with a top 10 pick instead of patrick peterson becuase you need an o-lineman?

No you idiot, you take peterson, then take that guy or the best available o-lineman in the top of the 2nd round...

THERE ARE NO OFFENSIVE LINEMAN IN THIS DRAFT WORTH A TOP TEN PICK.
I expect you guys to be later top 10 pick. I think you guys can win some games with Kitna, unless you guys really tank the season. I don't see how you can't beat the Jags at home.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:41 PM    (permalink
Morton
Veteran

Quote:
Wake up bro. There's 6 other rounds of drafting, plus Free Agency and Trade options.
At what point are you guaranteed to get a quality RT in free agency or trade?

And, in addition, I thought that the Cowboys had one of the best defensive units in the game. Didn't they finish in the top 10 last year? Why devote more resources to that side of the ball if they have so many holes elsewhere?
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

I just want to say... I saw Marcus Cannon playing last night on TV and he is a hoss! Completely mauling Air Force. There's no way I believe he's over 350. He carries his weight extremely well. Plays very balanced, stays on his feet and can haul ass. I love that guy!!! He was playing LT, but I think putting him at Guard or RT would be awesome for us.
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

I say were between 10-15 to be honest, which is unfortunate. Good for you giants fans though.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:42 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I expect you guys to be later top 10 pick. I think you guys can win some games with Kitna, unless you guys really tank the season. I don't see how you can't beat the Jags at home.
I agree... somewhere between picks 6-10. I just hope not.