Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 10-28-2010, 02:54 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morton View Post
You have Mike Jenkins and Terrence Newman, both of which were recently elected to attend the Pro Bowl.

Cowboys fans clamoring for Patrick Peterson sound like a rich guy who owns both a Ferrari and a Porsche and yet is talking about buying a brand new Audi A8.

I think Gabe Carimi of Wisconsin could be a solid LT/RT for a decade or more. He could give Dallas a great RT to pair opposite Doug Free.

I also like Joseph Barksdale of LSU who projects as a quality RT in the NFL.

Obviously Doug Free is the LT of the future for the Cowboys and he seems like a solid one at that. But RT obviously is a big area of need, along with OG, which could be shored up in later rounds.

You think Carimi or Barksdale are worth the 6th-10th pick in the draft? Were not talking about an Andre Smith type of talent, these guys are borderline top 20 picks and terrible value that high.

Terrance Newman will be 33 next year, and oft injured, how long do you think he's gonna be able to play. What happens if he gets injured? Oh but hey Mike Jenkins made the pro bowl so he'll be able to play all 3 corner spots right?

Did you see how often Scandrick was targeted Monday? Or all season long? That's a trouble spot as much as the offensive line is contrary to popular belief, and we run the Nickle almost as a primary defense here.

That's the problem is your trying to make us draft for need which is a terrible idea in the top 10 of a draft. There are some positions you just don't take that high, and you also don't reach and try and take solid players OVER elite players, you stick to your board. But maybe we should have taken Charles Brown last year over Dez, I mean he plays Tackle, surely that'd help more then Dez would.

It's not like we have 2 young starting caliber CB's, and you can't expect to take JAG's at the position and hope it'll work. PP would enable Newman to play down in the slot, and take a RT early in the 2nd(primarily where you would want to take that sort of position. Let's not act like this is a premiere position that runs dry at that point, were not talking about a LT).

Having 2 CB's is not enough, and frankly getting another CB is more important then a RT is. Everyone acts like because the line needs upgraded that you should automatically reach for a player that fits that positions, who cares that your overdrafting, I'm sure that'd help us out so much if we landed an average RT in the top 10 of the draft while missing out on a dominant elite CB.

You don't know our team as well as you do if you think CB is a luxury, and regardless of if it was, you don't pass up superb prospects at the top of the draft and reach for a need. Whatever CB we drafted would play a ton, Columbo is still gonna be playing next year even if we do need a replacement.

Your completely ignoring the fact that very good Olineman can be had early in the 2nd and 3rd round. If we were still picking around pick 23 yes those players would be perfect.

But hey, I'm sure the Cards are in love with picking Levi Brown over Darrelle Revis right? They obviously needed a RT more, so that's obviously the way you do things.

As long as you draft the position you needed most as early as possible that's exactly how you get better. *insert annoying eye roll here*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:06 PM    (permalink
Morton
Veteran

Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton

All I'm saying is that the Cowboys are in the basement of the NFC East at this point, and until they invest some serious draft picks into their offensive line, whoever is playing QB for the Cowboys in the future will be getting planted face down in the dirt by Giants, Redskins and Eagles pass rushers all decade long.

If Jerry wants to invest a high pick in a luxury position like CB or DE, then, sure, go ahead and watch your offense score 14 points per game because you can't pass protect or run block with consistency. I'm sure the Giants, Eagles, and Redskins will love to see Patrick Peterson on the Cowboys rather than a stud offensive lineman.
Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:21 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
All I'm saying is that the Cowboys are in the basement of the NFC East at this point, and until they invest some serious draft picks into their offensive line, whoever is playing QB for the Cowboys in the future will be getting planted face down in the dirt by Giants, Redskins and Eagles pass rushers all decade long.

If Jerry wants to invest a high pick in a luxury position like CB or DE, then, sure, go ahead and watch your offense score 14 points per game because you can't pass protect or run block with consistency. I'm sure the Giants, Eagles, and Redskins will love to see Patrick Peterson on the Cowboys rather than a stud offensive lineman.
I know you won't acknowledge this because it makes you look like a complete fool... But I'll ask the question once again, hoping to get an answer from you that I know I won't get.

What makes you think that the Cowboys can't address their OL problems in free agency, by trade or by using the other 6 rounds of the draft?

You're so hung up on the idea that they MUST use their 1st rounder on an OL, or else... Fact of the matter is that there are other ways to fix the OL problems immediately. In fact, FA is a much quicker way to fix the OL immediately than to wait for your rookie to develop/adjust. Jerry has shown the willingness to go the FA route many times and it has worked for us in the past.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:26 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
At what point are you guaranteed to get a quality RT in free agency or trade?

And, in addition, I thought that the Cowboys had one of the best defensive units in the game. Didn't they finish in the top 10 last year? Why devote more resources to that side of the ball if they have so many holes elsewhere?
There is NEVER a guarantee. Are you suggesting that the draft is full of guarantees???

...and you couldn't be more wrong about the Cowboys defense. Quoting last year's stats is a complete mistake. I'm starting to see a disturbing trend with your logic analysis. Pro Bowls and last year's stats should not be the basis for identifying future draft needs/strengths.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:33 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't even know why I'm spending so much time, I've never had an intelligent conversation with him anywhere else on the forum before anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:35 PM    (permalink
Morton
Veteran

Well, for your sake I hope Jerry Jones nails this draft, because, otherwise, I think the Cowboys are going to have to get used to being in the basement of the NFC East for another long stretch of time.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:40 PM    (permalink
dsc1600
Veteran

dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As impressive as Cam Newton was against LSU, Fairley seemed completely dominant. He's been pretty unstoppable most of this year, and would be a great addition to the D line.

I do agree that reaching for an O-Lineman is not the right move if we pick really high, but I don't want Jerrah to get cute and ignore need. We absolutely need corner/safety and line help in this draft (doesn't have to be round 1) regardless of what we do in free agency (if only for depth).
dsc1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:10 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

Quote:
Well, for your sake I hope Jerry Jones nails this draft, because, otherwise, I think the Cowboys are going to have to get used to being in the basement of the NFC East for another long stretch of time.
Judging by your rep, I'm pretty sure we'll win the next 10 superbowls if thats your predictiion. :P
xxxxxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:50 PM    (permalink
Morton
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
Judging by your rep, I'm pretty sure we'll win the next 10 superbowls if thats your predictiion. :P
Just because Haters hate me on this forum, or I may come across as too blunt at times, doesn't mean what I say isn't true about Jerry and the Cowboys.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:08 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Riiiiiiiightt... because we won 2 out of the last 3 division titles.... *rollseyes*
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:11 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

Rod woodson is such a fagg*t.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:11 PM    (permalink
Morton
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinisher View Post
Riiiiiiiightt... because we won 2 out of the last 3 division titles.... *rollseyes*
Have you watched your team this year?

The entire offensive line is in decline. Back when the 'Boys were a dynasty in the 90s, they had the BEST offensive line in football for a long stretch of time. Game is won in the trenches, man. I don't see the OL being dominant again unless Jerry sinks more than one high pick into the line AND makes some free agency moves.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:12 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

Dude there is no o-lineman worth a top 15 pick in this draft.

What do you not comprehend?
Old 10-28-2010, 06:16 PM    (permalink
Morton
Veteran

Quote:
Dude there is no o-lineman worth a top 15 pick in this draft.

What do you not comprehend?
Sucks for you then... until the Cowboys get an above-average offensive line, all the skill players in the world won't matter because a.) they won't be able to establish a running game and b.) they won't be able to keep their QB upright

And it will take more than one upgrade to turn this mess of an O-Line into an above-average unit. Right now it looks like Doug Free is your only real above-average starter. Colombo is clearly in decline, as are Davis and Gurode, and Kosier can't stay healthy. Barron is obviously not an NFL-caliber starter.

Too bad you guys got rid of Flozell so quickly, because he's been pretty solid as RT in Pittsburgh.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:20 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

2nd and 3rd rounders on the interior and right tackle can easily become above average starters dude...

Do you think you know football?
Old 10-28-2010, 06:21 PM    (permalink
Morton
Veteran

Quote:
2nd and 3rd rounders on the interior and right tackle can easily become above average starters dude...

Do you think you know football?
So right now you need at least two interior lineman, and a right tackle. And you're going to count on mid-round pick rookies and free agent scraps to fill those voids. Good luck with that. Maybe the Cowboys will be able to compete in, um, 2013?
Old 10-28-2010, 06:22 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

ok, you can leave now.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:25 PM    (permalink
Morton
Veteran

Quote:
ok, you can leave now.
Guess the truth hurts, huh?

The highlight of the Cowboys from 1996-2015 will be a single playoff win over the Eagles. lol.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:29 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

I'll laugh when you eat your words. Your an idiot.

OMG IF THEY DON'T PICK UP AN O-LINEMAN IN THE FIRST ROUND TEXAS WILL EXPLODE... your a fool dude. the cowboys will be fine. they got this disaster season is over, they'll have some good fortune in the future.

When romo is holding that lombardi trophy, and dez is dancing with the MVP... i'll get you some tissues.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:35 PM    (permalink
Morton
Veteran

Quote:
When romo is holding that lombardi trophy, and dez is dancing with the MVP... i'll get you some tissues.
Hahahaha. Why are Cowboys fans so delusional?

Your offensive line is a mess, your meddling owner's draft strategy is basically "pick shiny new toy!", and your coach is a lame duck, who is only going to be replaced by another Jerry Jones stooge.

Good luck with all that.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:43 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The key with getting new players is that one person isn't going to come in and change things. With as much talent they have at some key positions, there still are holes that has led to the 1-5 start. That's why I don't really give a rat's ass about what pick they get because they can get a good player from anywhere on the board. I just want them to get more than just one stud to help out in 2011. I want them to get a solid draft that combines with a good FA to make this team a contender again.

The biggest thing is mental though. If they cut their penalties in half I bet that we'd be looking at a 4-2 team or a 3-3 one. Idiocy has cost this team too much, and it's time to fix that. Wade has to go. Garrett has to go. Bring in a staff that's going to make this team fight their way to success instead of patting them on the back because of their potential. It doesn't have to be a hard ass coach that yells all the time. It just needs to be someone that makes them accountable for their actions. To me, a coaching change is probably the best thing for this team right now.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 01:53 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Have you watched your team this year?

The entire offensive line is in decline. Back when the 'Boys were a dynasty in the 90s, they had the BEST offensive line in football for a long stretch of time. Game is won in the trenches, man. I don't see the OL being dominant again unless Jerry sinks more than one high pick into the line AND makes some free agency moves.
I think that would be doable.

FA OL:
Jared Gaither, BAL
Matt Light, NE
Donald Penn, TB
Jermon Bushrod, NO
Willie Colon, PIT
Carl Nicks, NO
Logan Mankins, NE
Ryan Kalil, CAR
Daryn Colledge, GB
Evan Mathis, CIN
Alan Faneca, ARI
Tyson Clabo, ATL
Doug Free, DAL
Ryan Harris, DEN
Jon Jansen, DET
Charlie Johnson, IND
Tony Ugoh, IND
Ryan O'Callaghan, KC
Mario Henderson, OAK
Khalif Barnes, OAK
Jeromey Clary, SD
Ray Willis, SEA
Jeremy Trueblood, TB
Stephon Heyer, WAS
Reggie Wells, ARI
Deuce Lutui, ARI
Lyle Sendlein, ARI
Quinn Ojinnaka, ATL
Justin Blalock, ATL
Harvey Dahl, ATL
Marshal Yanda, BAL
Chris Chester, BAL
Josh Beekman, CHI
Olin Kreutz, CHI
Nate Livings, CIN
Kyle Cook, CIN
Kyle Kosier, DAL
Manuel Ramirez, DET
Jason Spitz, GB
Uche Nwaneri, JAC
Casey Wiegmann, KC
Rudy Niswanger, KC
Richie Incognito, MIA
Jonathan Goodwin, NO
Chris Morris, OAK
Samson Satele, OAK
Max Jean-Gilles, PHI
Nick Cole, PHI
David Baas, SF
Chris Spencer, SEA
John Greco, STL
Mark Setterstrom, STL
Davin Joseph, TB
Leroy Harris, TEN
Old 10-29-2010, 06:55 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have a question for you guys:

What if that DE from Ohio State is on the board? (Forgetting his name, and as you can tell, I haven't been paying much attention to college football yet, its too early for me to be thinking draft just yet)

Do you take the DE from Ohio State, or Prince or Peterson?

You can make an argument that DE is a bigger need than CB (although both are pretty valid needs).

Think about it. Your starting DEs are Igor and Spears. Igor, and Spears. That's as average as they come. Hell, that's below average.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:51 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I have a question for you guys:

What if that DE from Ohio State is on the board? (Forgetting his name, and as you can tell, I haven't been paying much attention to college football yet, its too early for me to be thinking draft just yet)

Do you take the DE from Ohio State, or Prince or Peterson?

You can make an argument that DE is a bigger need than CB (although both are pretty valid needs).

Think about it. Your starting DEs are Igor and Spears. Igor, and Spears. That's as average as they come. Hell, that's below average.
Cameron Heyward.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:53 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Ryan K. and Mankins on that list as I read it quickly.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote